Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

a neat cape posted:

They won't have a fanbase if they move to LA anyways, might as well start fresh

The pats had attendance issues back in the day. The issue isn't branding, its winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ron Jeremy posted:

The pats had attendance issues back in the day. The issue isn't branding, its winning.

Attendance isn't an issue in San Diego because of lack of winning. Attendance is an issue because of this cloud of relocation hanging over the franchise and an owner who's made himself public enemy #1

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

a neat cape posted:

They won't have a fanbase if they move to LA anyways, might as well start fresh

Raiders fans fly to Oakland for games. Dodgers fans fill Percocet (I'm leaving that, gently caress you autofill that's too much to go back to fix and yes I see the irony here) Park when they play the Padres.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

coupbrick posted:

Raiders fans fly to Oakland for games. Dodgers fans fill Percocet (I'm leaving that, gently caress you autofill that's too much to go back to fix and yes I see the irony here) Park when they play the Padres.

Did Browns fans fly to Baltimore?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LA Second Fiddles
Los Angeles Afterthoughts
So Cal New Phone Who Dis

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

a neat cape posted:

Did Browns fans fly to Baltimore?

Not sure you should be using the plural.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Chris James 2 posted:

NFL/CBS would broadcast Raider games in the L.A. market for AT LEAST two years as a defacto home market team. This could go longer depending on what happens with the Chargers.

This is a huge concession, and a big gently caress you to the Rams. If the Raiders continue to perform well on the field they could eat into the Rams' market share with this deal, especially if they are smart about marketing. Many LA fans would rather fly down to Vegas to see a good Raiders team rather than see a bad Rams team at home. If the Chargers end up moving, it will make it even more difficult for them to get fans, as they would start off third behind the Rams and Raiders. Also, if the Raiders decide to play in Sam Boyd for a year or two, you can bet the NFL will accommodate them with several road games and night games to start the season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Pretty sure the Raiders would stay in Oakland while the Vegas stadium is being built. Sam Boyd isn't up to nfl specifications

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Pretty sure the Raiders would stay in Oakland while the Vegas stadium is being built. Sam Boyd isn't up to nfl specifications

And the place the Chargers are reportedly looking at does?

Hell I don't know, maybe it does, it's a lot newer. It's just so tiny.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

a neat cape posted:

Neither is the Coliseum tbqh

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Konstantin posted:

This is a huge concession, and a big gently caress you to the Rams. If the Raiders continue to perform well on the field they could eat into the Rams' market share with this deal, especially if they are smart about marketing. Many LA fans would rather fly down to Vegas to see a good Raiders team rather than see a bad Rams team at home. If the Chargers end up moving, it will make it even more difficult for them to get fans, as they would start off third behind the Rams and Raiders. Also, if the Raiders decide to play in Sam Boyd for a year or two, you can bet the NFL will accommodate them with several road games and night games to start the season.

TV revenues go entirely to the league to then be split evenly between all the teams, I believe. The market share still matters if it means the LA stadium doesn't sell out for home games, or if they sell less LA merch, of course, but the league wanting to put the Raiders on TV in the huge LA market is probably more of a revenue-maximizing strategy than a specific repudiation of the Rams. Presumably they'll schedule games to not compete for time slots in the same media market, and hope to build both fanbases simultaneously. The LA market is probably big enough to support two fanbases, given it's much larger than the SF Bay Area market and not much smaller than the New York market.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Neither is the Coliseum tbqh

They retrofitted the coliseum last year. And it seats a lot of people.

Sam Boyd seats like 20k

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Konstantin posted:

Many LA fans would rather fly down to Vegas to see a good Raiders team rather than see a bad Rams team at home.

I feel like this statement can't be verified at all until the Inglewood stadium is built. That thing is going to be spectacular and if the Rams ever get decent a lot of families will go.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Sam Boyd seats like 20k

I see 35k normally and expandable to 40. The really tiny place is the one Spanos floated for the Chargers as an option.

The Coliseum is only going to allow one NFL team to play there aren't they? I assume that's still true or they wouldn't be trying to sell people on that soccer stadium.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

kiimo posted:

I feel like this statement can't be verified at all until the Inglewood stadium is built. That thing is going to be spectacular and if the Rams ever get decent a lot of families will go.

2019 is a long way away, fan loyalties could shift a lot during that time. People will check it out once or twice, but I'm not sure large numbers of people will pay a premium to attend multiple games year after year if the team is bad. If the Rams become good that won't be a problem, but that is a big "if."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Akileese posted:

If they rebrand the team they can eventually threaten to move another team back to San Diego as the Chargers.

fixed that for you

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rename the team the Ewes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

a neat cape posted:

They retrofitted the coliseum last year. And it seats a lot of people.

Sam Boyd seats like 20k

Nah, the Coliseum hasn't had significant renovations in ages, in recent years all that has happened was redoing the bathrooms, adding a giant screen, and adding credit card support at the concession stands (this only happened 4 or 5 years ago). There are big plans over the next 2-3 years for Coliseum, to actually (kinda) modernize it by redoing the seating, the stairs (cutting each section in half with an extra stair case), building a new media box and luxury boxes, and possibly a canopy to prevent the student section from melting in the sun

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I see 35k normally and expandable to 40. The really tiny place is the one Spanos floated for the Chargers as an option.

The Coliseum is only going to allow one NFL team to play there aren't they? I assume that's still true or they wouldn't be trying to sell people on that soccer stadium.

They want to shove the Chargers into the stub hub center because they know that they'll have no fanbase in LA. People in San Diego won't follow them and they'll be lucky to break 10,000 in attendance

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I usually prefer that relocated teams change their name and logo, but given the dogshit new team names we've gotten in American sports lately, they're probably better off just being the Los Angeles Chargers.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

coupbrick posted:

LOL Chargers fans will not drive to LA for games there, for two simple reason.

1) they all HATE Spanos now, for his bullshit with the stadium and relocation
2) SD natives have a general loathing for everything LA on principle

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Nah, the Coliseum hasn't had significant renovations in ages, in recent years all that has happened was redoing the bathrooms, adding a giant screen, and adding credit card support at the concession stands (this only happened 4 or 5 years ago). There are big plans over the next 2-3 years for Coliseum, to actually (kinda) modernize it by redoing the seating, the stairs (cutting each section in half with an extra stair case), building a new media box and luxury boxes, and possibly a canopy to prevent the student section from melting in the sun
I think a neat cape was talking about the Oakland Coliseum and you are talking about the LA Coliseum. Or chupacabraTERROR was talking about O.Co. I dunno this is confusing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

bawfuls posted:

2) SD natives have a general loathing for everything LA on principle

I've lived here for 9 years now and I still don't understand why this is. But I can confirm it exists

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

a neat cape posted:

I've lived here for 9 years now and I still don't understand why this is. But I can confirm it exists

I grew up in San Clemente and most people there hated either big city equally. I would think the traffic from SD-LA and back on a Sunday/Monday night would be the dealbreaker. Just getting to Qualcomm in SD is nightmarish enough, add what, 100 miles on the 5 to that drive as well?

edit: also any sort of accident on the 5 between oceanside and san clemente means you're just sitting in traffic with literally no where to go but the ocean and camp pendleton.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I've lived here for about 13 now and I *think* I understand where it comes from? A big part of it is a kind of little-brother syndrome, because LA is so massive physically, economically, culturally, and so close by that SD often feels unfairly overshadowed by the LA area. This ties into SD's lack of an identity (a separate but related issue). That's the main thrust of it from what I can tell anyway.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was going to argue with that but I drove back from San Diego to Studio City in July and it took nearly 4.5 hours because of multiple wrecks. gently caress that I can drive to Mammoth or Vegas in that amount of time.

There needs to be a bullet train or something for that to work, but phase 1 won't be completed until at least 2025 and phase 2 (LA to SD) has no start dates whatsoever at this time.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I mean, I'm sure there are good books on the sociology of urban rivalries, but it's pretty hilarious that a sports fan of all people would not understand this poo poo intuitively. It really has nothing to do with concrete differences and conflicts between the cities.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Just have Charger games at 2:00 AM, it's less than a two hour drive at that point.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

rjmccall posted:

I mean, I'm sure there are good books on the sociology of urban rivalries, but it's pretty hilarious that a sports fan of all people would not understand this poo poo intuitively. It really has nothing to do with concrete differences and conflicts between the cities.

The sports part of it is easy. That makes sense and its tangible. Padres fans hate the Dodgers because theyre a divisional rival and fairly close. Cool.

People here hate every single thing about Los Angeles and it's weird. I grew up in Palm Springs which is about two hours away from both cities and I have no problem with either. And it doesn't seem like anyone in LA has a problem with San Diego. They all hate San Francisco.

I wonder if Portland/Seattle is the same way

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

new yorkers are like the borg, an evil empire of assholes that you can tell apart from regular people (new york accent, timbs, yankees hat), while people from los angeles and san diego are more like romulans: closer to human but the smaller gap belies a more sinister cultural fissure (putting french fries on burritos)

edit: also pico de gallo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Everyone hates LA but it's always one sided and LA is oblivious to any kind of rivalry. Talk to anyone in the bay area and they can tell you about some intense "SF-LA rivalry" but no one in LA will have any clue what you're talking about and don't think about any other cities ever.

It's pretty funny.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

oh god another san diego thread is about to be dominated by burrito chat

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

kiimo posted:

what's your fav. burr. ??

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

kiimo posted:

if you haven't been to senor pedro's in san clemente i don't know what to tell you, sad human

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Del Taco Del Beef Burrito, Go Bold.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

a neat cape posted:

The sports part of it is easy. That makes sense and its tangible. Padres fans hate the Dodgers because theyre a divisional rival and fairly close. Cool.

People here hate every single thing about Los Angeles and it's weird. I grew up in Palm Springs which is about two hours away from both cities and I have no problem with either. And it doesn't seem like anyone in LA has a problem with San Diego. They all hate San Francisco.

I wonder if Portland/Seattle is the same way

Peeps in Seattle barely think of Portland but Portlanders have a little brother thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Everyone hates LA but it's always one sided and LA is oblivious to any kind of rivalry. Talk to anyone in the bay area and they can tell you about some intense "SF-LA rivalry" but no one in LA will have any clue what you're talking about and don't think about any other cities ever.

It's pretty funny.

I think there's a pretty solid NorCal/SoCal divide (and an ongoing argument about where to draw the line, exactly) but LAers are fairly oblivious to other rivalries like San Diego or whatever.

As a NorCal goon I mostly hate LA because of the horrible traffic and the oppressively hot weather. Don't really have any beef with people from LA. Once upon a time, Niners fans had a rivalry with LA (and Dallas), but nowadays that's shifted to Seattle.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I think there's a pretty solid NorCal/SoCal divide (and an ongoing argument about where to draw the line, exactly) but LAers are fairly oblivious to other rivalries like San Diego or whatever.

As a NorCal goon I mostly hate LA because of the horrible traffic and the oppressively hot weather. Don't really have any beef with people from LA. Once upon a time, Niners fans had a rivalry with LA (and Dallas), but nowadays that's shifted to Seattle.

Allow me to trigger you, NorCalGoodSir, when I mention one phrase: WATER THEFT.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

FCKGW posted:

It's pretty funny.

The only city LA hates is Boston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell, it's more of a thing that people from San Diego have basically no reason to go to LA for anything. It's less 'hate' and more 'why would I ever go there'. You can add an involuntary scoff or burrito at the end of that, I guess.

• Locked thread