Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tight aspirations posted:

If you take a picture, you own the copyright to that picture, so if you take a screenshot of a game, do you own the copyright to that?

I think it's like if you took a photo of a painting; you're the photographer, but the painter still owns the copyright on reproductions of their artwork. If you did enough to make it distinct from the original then it's yours, if not then you're violating their copyright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there an actual term for the "dismissive jerking off motion"? ( :jerkbag: )

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FCKGW posted:

No.

Same reason you can't take a picture of a painting and make reproductions of that. Needs to be an original creation.

Nah, what happens is that there's mixed copyright involved. You own the copyright on the screenshot, or the picture of that painting, but the person behind the original content also holds copyright on a very substantial part of it. The net effect is that it becomes really complicated if you want to go on to use the screenshot or that photo of painting, or anything similar, for commercial gain.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mister Macys posted:

"Wanking motion" is what I've heard.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

On game screenshots: some games with inbuilt screenshot functions will watermark them with a copyright claim by the publisher, so they at least seem to think they own them and probably have better lawyers than you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If you screenshot a game, you take its soul.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Mister Macys posted:

No, but it should be called an air job.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you take a picture, you own the copyright to that picture, so if you take a screenshot of a game, do you own the copyright to that?

In some countries, you don't own the rights to a picture taken of somebody else without their permission.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How come when you unsubscribe from some marketing emails, you get a message saying it will take 5 business days to remove you from the list? It's not like physical mail where things are printed ahead of time, you just remove the email from the database and then when your batch runs it doesn't grab that address.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hooah posted:

How come when you unsubscribe from some marketing emails, you get a message saying it will take 5 business days to remove you from the list? It's not like physical mail where things are printed ahead of time, you just remove the email from the database and then when your batch runs it doesn't grab that address.

It's because the CAN-SPAM act requires that your address be removed within 10 days because that was deemed an acceptable amount of time by lawmakers who don't understand technology. Sleazy marketers seized on this as an opportunity to continue pummeling your inbox for a few additional days until they're legally required to remove you.

There's no technical reason why they can't remove you immediately.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That's what I figured, but didn't know about that act. Thanks.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

hooah posted:

I immediately mark that message and all other messags from that group as spam, which fucks them over for everyone who uses gmail. Because gently caress them, that's why.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

kedo posted:

It's because the CAN-SPAM act requires that your address be removed within 10 days because that was deemed an acceptable amount of time by lawmakers who don't understand technology. Sleazy marketers seized on this as an opportunity to continue pummeling your inbox for a few additional days until they're legally required to remove you.

There's no technical reason why they can't remove you immediately.

No.
Databases aren't all updated in real time. If you unsub on a Tuesday but the database isn't refreshed until Friday, you will still get the email scheduled to go out on Wednesday.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm 6'5" and work a job that involves a lot of sitting and it's killing my back/legs. Is there a decent desktop platform that doesn't have fancy switches and gears and cost $300 goddamn dollars? I'm okay having to deal with the hassle of moving my computer if I want to convert back and forth between sitting and standing so I'm not too concerned about that. Just anything that curbs thrombosis without emptying my wallet.

It needs to be about 46 cm (18") high off the desk, which is 121 cm (47.5") from the floor. Doesn't necessarily have to be adjustable.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 6, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

frenchnewwave posted:

No.
Databases aren't all updated in real time. If you unsub on a Tuesday but the database isn't refreshed until Friday, you will still get the email scheduled to go out on Wednesday.

A lot of those spammers and legit-but-annoying mailers also have the actual emailing contracted out and sub-contracted out to a bunch of other companies. So it can take a while to coordinate among all of them, especially since many of them may get paid per email sent and thus try to avoid sending less.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you are in the US, you shouldn't have to pay for it, it's a "medical issue" and your employer has to pay for it. Also, $300 is not outrageous.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

photomikey posted:

If you are in the US, you shouldn't have to pay for it, it's a "medical issue" and your employer has to pay for it. Also, $300 is not outrageous.

Canada. I'll probably need some sort of doctor's document, but I actually haven't thought of that. I'll see who I can contact here about that.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

frenchnewwave posted:

No.

I hear you, but that's a lame excuse that holds no water with modern technology. The CAN-SPAM act was written in 2003 when synchronizing email lists across several services was hard. These days it's trivial.

I'm sure there are some old and/or crappy systems out there that have a list of recipients that's only refreshed once per week... but there are plenty of other systems out there that allow immediate unsubs. It's not a technical limitation. Businesses make a choice to use a system that only refreshes a list once a week, and that choice is a valid one because the laws allow it to be.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Canada. I'll probably need some sort of doctor's document, but I actually haven't thought of that. I'll see who I can contact here about that.

My office just spent $3k on an electric height-adjustable table. It owns bones and you should get one.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Being tall is a medical issue? I got tiny hands, what can I get for that?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

bongwizzard posted:

A presidency.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was gonna say "a huge penis" but this seems better.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Mak0rz posted:

it's killing my back/legs

<snip>

thrombosis

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My company rolled out standing desks to whoever wanted them early last year and they're awesome. We also have a travel policy that states that if you're taking a flight longer than 5 hours for work, it has to be business class, to avoid health issues from being cramped in cattle class for that long. It means that no flight in Australia qualifies, but every flight from here to basically anywhere else we fly does.

Some companies take this poo poo pretty seriously.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Is there a thread for discussing podcasts here on the forums somewhere? I dunno which subforum it would most likely be in so I figured I'd ask here.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's an entire subforum actually. Rapidly Going Deaf

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Ah I see it now thanks.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

Nah, what happens is that there's mixed copyright involved. You own the copyright on the screenshot, or the picture of that painting, but the person behind the original content also holds copyright on a very substantial part of it. The net effect is that it becomes really complicated if you want to go on to use the screenshot or that photo of painting, or anything similar, for commercial gain.

What if the screenshot is of a mod? Or am I getting into "consulting an IP lawyer" sort of territory?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

What if the screenshot is of a mod? Or am I getting into "consulting an IP lawyer" sort of territory?

Yeah that's simply more complicated, adds more people who have a valid claim to part of the overall work. Although at the least, a mod is more likely to be released into the public domain or a not very restrictive license.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

When Winona Ryder had to pay back Saks Fifth Avenue for the stolen clothes. Was she allowed to keep them?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

When Winona Ryder had to pay back Saks Fifth Avenue for the stolen clothes. Was she allowed to keep them?

They would have become evidence.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
I don't drink coffee, because it tastes awful, and caffeine screws me up. I don't drink tea, because it tastes like steeped grass clippings (i.e. not good). I've also tried black tea, I think, and it didn't taste good, either.

However, I think I'd like to get some kind of flavorful, low/no calorie warm drink to sip on in my office when I'm feeling cold. Or at home, I guess. I like good hot chocolate, but I don't want to drink it constantly, both because I don't want to give myself diabetes, and because the cheap powdered mixes available at work are gross. I'm open to flavored teas, but I tried some peppermint tea the other day, and it tasted like steeped grass clippings with a mint leaf mixed in. So, I'd need a tea that doesn't taste like tea, which seems like a tall order.

Is there anything good and warm/hot to drink that doesn't taste like coffee or tea, and isn't full of sugar? Has anyone ever tried Postum?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Peristalsis posted:

I don't drink coffee, because it tastes awful, and caffeine screws me up. I don't drink tea, because it tastes like steeped grass clippings (i.e. not good). I've also tried black tea, I think, and it didn't taste good, either.

However, I think I'd like to get some kind of flavorful, low/no calorie warm drink to sip on in my office when I'm feeling cold. Or at home, I guess. I like good hot chocolate, but I don't want to drink it constantly, both because I don't want to give myself diabetes, and because the cheap powdered mixes available at work are gross. I'm open to flavored teas, but I tried some peppermint tea the other day, and it tasted like steeped grass clippings with a mint leaf mixed in. So, I'd need a tea that doesn't taste like tea, which seems like a tall order.

Is there anything good and warm/hot to drink that doesn't taste like coffee or tea, and isn't full of sugar? Has anyone ever tried Postum?

You can make hot chocolate with just milk and cocoa, which obviously has a lot less sugar than Milo or whatever. You can also add stuff like cinnamon, cloves and chilli flakes to make it a bit more interesting. It might be a bit of an acquired taste if you're used to sweeter stuff though.

There are also savoury drinks like Bovril or Vegemite broth.

And there are lots of "herbal teas" that don't contain any actual tea, but are just infusions of other plants, if you don't like the tea-based ones.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Does the Iron Cross have any modern symbolism other than WW2 Germany/Nazi/White supremacist stuff? I was talking to a friend about WW2 planes and showed her a picture of it, to which she replied that she knows several people from high school who wear it on a necklace...

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Peristalsis posted:

You could try Bambu, which is a coffee substitute made of chicory & acorns (!!!) and some other grains. It's pretty hearty and rich, without being too bad for you.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Xenoborg posted:

Does the Iron Cross have any modern symbolism other than WW2 Germany/Nazi/White supremacist stuff? I was talking to a friend about WW2 planes and showed her a picture of it, to which she replied that she knows several people from high school who wear it on a necklace...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Cross

There's a section on post-war use specifically. Notably even Germany is using it again!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So how do VPNs hide your stuff and allow you to see stuff that would be blocked in your country? Lets say under Trumps glorious rule the Meet the Spartans gag where Trump's toupee is removed is forever banned from American computers. Now being the mischievous scamp I am, I want to show it off to my friends. How does a VPN get around that restriction? My PC still has to send a request through my ISP to the website and the website would have to send a response back, again through my ISP, right? How is that possible to hide from the ISP and by extension the government?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Leal posted:

So how do VPNs hide your stuff and allow you to see stuff that would be blocked in your country? Lets say under Trumps glorious rule the Meet the Spartans gag where Trump's toupee is removed is forever banned from American computers. Now being the mischievous scamp I am, I want to show it off to my friends. How does a VPN get around that restriction? My PC still has to send a request through my ISP to the website and the website would have to send a response back, again through my ISP, right? How is that possible to hide from the ISP and by extension the government?

The way I understand it:

You're not sending your request directly to the forbidden site via your ISP, you're sending a(n encrypted) request to the VPN server, who sends that request to the forbidden site, gets the response, and then sends the response back to you. VPN providers tend to have a bunch of servers all over the place that you can pick from, too, so all your traffic is routed through California or the UK or Australia or wherever. If what you want isn't forbidden in the UK but is in California, you just send your request though the UK server. The hiding part comes from the fact that VPNs don't necessarily keep records of who requests what. If the government sees that a specific IP address downloads Meet the Spartans, they can trace that IP to the VPN, who just says "we don't know who it was" and there's not really anything more to be done. In practice, that varies, and I remember hearing about some VPNs that got called out for keeping records and turning them over to keep themselves out of legal hot water, but a lot of it takes place internationally, which complicates the legal issues of it all and I don't really know much about any of that part of it.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

would killing myself make me a bad person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ezzer posted:

would killing myself make me a bad person?

Wouldn't make any difference to you.