Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

(LOOKS AT FORECAST.)

gently caress.

(GOES BACK TO GOBBLING MINCE PIES.)

New years resolution:
Slim back fown so i can fit in my miata again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

(LOOKS AT FORECAST.)

gently caress.

(GOES BACK TO GOBBLING MINCE PIES.)
Sucks to be you I guess, I just had an open-top drive yesterday :smug:

What's the "On/Off" switch on the NB's headlights? Like, literally on the headlight housing, not on the stalk. I wanted to check the bulb before replacing the busted socket but it's stuck there and won't come out. I kind of doubt it's a lock of some sort since I replaced the bulb before without touching it, and it doesn't seem to budge anyway.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Voltage posted:

Any real reason to spend an extra few $$ to get an NC over a 1.8 NA or NB? I miss the total beater POS rusted out salvage title 97 I had so drat much , but I want something slightly nice this time. My Main goal is to turbo it, and I know it's fairly straightforward on the NA/NB, but I can't find much on the NC.
Find a blown motor NC or just a cheap 06-07 ($4k) and throw a 2.5 in it for a naturally aspirated 200whp.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

destructo posted:

Find a blown motor NC or just a cheap 06-07 ($4k) and throw a 2.5 in it for a naturally aspirated 200whp.

What engine are you talking about? That seems like a ton of HP for a normal breathing 2.5.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's optimistic for the Mazda L series 2.5. It's rated for 175 from the factory and the more modern the engine the less that's left to be unlocked with bolt ons. It seems like a lot of effort (unless 2.5s and blown up NCs are cheap and plentiful around you) that would be better spent just getting a running NC and putting on a turbo kit.

For me if it came down to a choice between all the models it'd be an NA/NB or a ND. I wouldn't turn down a cheap NC, but I wouldn't pay extra for one over a NA/NB.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 27, 2016

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

craig588 posted:

That's optimistic for the Mazda L series 2.5. It's rated for 175 from the factory and the more modern the engine the less that's left to be unlocked with bolt ons.

Ha ha ha ha ha, in this case that's a big nope. The 2.5s are almost entirely locked down with tiny cams - 200whp is pretty trivial with aftermarket ones, and they showed up in the base model of quite a few Fords too, so the longblock is cheap as dirt if you know where to look. It's a known, relatively easy swap with a lot of potential. Esslinger is doing them for a midget class - the right juggling of parts has them at well clear of 300hp at the flywheel, NA, with no cylinder head porting.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

should I get the new miata

I don't own a car right now but motorcycling everywhere is becoming a headache because of how stupidly impractical it is. id rather ride when it makes sense and have a car too for groceries and poo poo. I had a 93 1.6 a couple years ago and it was amazing, perfect stock condition, fresh paint, hilariously had no power steering or A/C. i miss that car a lot

I can definitely afford a new miata but it seems stupid to buy a car when I can technically get by just fine without one

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go test drive a used NC (2009+) and an ND (or RF) and see if you like either one. The ND is much closer in size to the NA (it's actually shorter, but much wider).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Okay, I'm test driving one this afternoon lol

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 4, 2020

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm looking at getting one myself but the tranny horror stories have me waiting for MY2017, which still aren't available despite it actually being 2017 now. If you don't care, I bet you can get a pretty good deal on a 2016 right now.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

puberty worked me over posted:

why is every fuckin miata $2,000 more than KBB (which is high to start) within 300 miles of me

furthermore what fuckin idiot pays $5k for a 100,000 mile car that's 15 years old and makes 142 to the crank?

Try 7-8k.

That's all Miatas here too. There is a 2003 with 265,000km and a ripped up interior asking $6500. Ridiculous. 2008 with 80k asking $17,000 and Canada Trader says it's a "good price". Bullshit. I'm going to have to fly to Florida or something to buy one and drive it home.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

puberty worked me over posted:

why is every fuckin miata $2,000 more than KBB (which is high to start) within 300 miles of me

furthermore what fuckin idiot pays $5k for a 100,000 mile car that's 15 years old and makes 142 to the crank?

Try 7-8k.

I find as cars get older kbb becomes less and less accurate. Additionally for desirable cars like sports cars and pickups it's especially true. The na/nb is a really fun car to drive that is dead reliable. If you can get a 2000 nb in good shape with 100k for 5k that can be a decent price depending on the market.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well I test drove it... it's a Miata. It's fast as gently caress compared to my 93 haha. Gonna shop around a bit and try to find the ceramic white on a touring model with a manual if I can

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So my clutch pedal broke today. Like it literally snapped in half as I was coming to a stop light trying to make a left turn. I had noticed it had some sideways play for a while, but I didn't think too much of it and I guess it had been working itself back and forth until the metal was so weak it cracked right off. Kind of put a damper in my plan to get lunch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I test drove it... it's a Miata. It's fast as gently caress compared to my 93 haha. Gonna shop around a bit and try to find the ceramic white on a touring model with a manual if I can

1.5L or 2.0L?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

A MIRACLE posted:

yes

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Phone posted:

1.5L or 2.0L?

Umm don't know, it was a club model in Los Angeles. Is the 1.5 turbo? I don't think the one I drove was turbo

I found a sport for 22k, it ticks all the boxes I care about so I might go with that trim level, does anyone know if the non Bose sound system has an aux jack or otherwise iPhone input? My days of burning MP3 cds are in the past

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The US only has the 2.0.

Don't buy a Sport unless if you either really really hate the non issue of a screen or are planning on stripping it down to go wheel-to-wheel racing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Why?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

n8r posted:

I find as cars get older kbb becomes less and less accurate. Additionally for desirable cars like sports cars and pickups it's especially true. The na/nb is a really fun car to drive that is dead reliable. If you can get a 2000 nb in good shape with 100k for 5k that can be a decent price depending on the market.

NA/NB Miatas are only going up from here. Getting one nice & cheap is going to be luck.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My car seems to have developed a sports exhaust at some point in a 500km drive. It's not really noticeable at speed but there's a bit of rattling and rumbling sound when accelerating from low RPM which actually sounds pretty badass :v:. I glanced under the car and was able to see some smoke escaping right between the presilencer and the pipe going to the muffler. Does anyone know if this is a single part or if there's some sort of gasket I could try replacing there? It's an NBFL.

Also it's now cold as gently caress and the second gear is nearly impossible to engage and I get random belt squeals.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
It's like -10C here and my NB just makes a lot more weird sounds when cornering. Nothing bad just the Body cracks and creaks a bit :D.

It's also amazing how many smiles and thumbs up you get driving with the roof down in Sub-Zero weather.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Shai-Hulud posted:

It's like -10C here and my NB just makes a lot more weird sounds when cornering. Nothing bad just the Body cracks and creaks a bit :D.

It's also amazing how many smiles and thumbs up you get driving with the roof down in Sub-Zero weather.

Isn't it amazing? Snow storm is even better though, IMO.

(I need to get a street Miata)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The 2016 Sport does have an aux jack. Also Bluetooth and USB. I use BT and it works great; the USB is more suited to plugging in a thumb drive.

What the Sport doesn't have is the LSD the manual Club does, which is probably why Phone warns against it.

I have a Sport. But I drive automatic, and there's no LSD on any trim level with the automatic transmission.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's more that the interior is slightly nicer, you get 2 speakers and a sub, the infotainment screen, LSD, and 17x7 wheels (vs 16x6.5).

I'd recommend the Club over the Grand Touring just because the only thing the GT has over the Club is heated seats; the rest are marginally useful electronic gadgets like lane departure and whatnot.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I still stand that the infotainment screen is dumb as hell and shouldn't be in the car, at least not in the way it's implemented anyway

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's wrong with it? I don't spend over 10,000 dollars on cars so I don't have one now, but I did go to test drive one when they were first released and in my memory it wasn't in the way or distracting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

craig588 posted:

What's wrong with it? I don't spend over 10,000 dollars on cars so I don't have one now, but I did go to test drive one when they were first released and in my memory it wasn't in the way or distracting.

THE LINES IT COMPLETELY RUINS THE LINES OF THE CAR FISCHER PRICE HARD PLASTIC TACKED ON THE ESSENCE OF JINBA ITTAI 人馬一体 GOD drat CONTROL KNOB MILLENNIALS RUINING MY CARRRRRRS

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phone posted:

THE LINES IT COMPLETELY RUINS THE LINES OF THE CAR FISCHER PRICE HARD PLASTIC TACKED ON THE ESSENCE OF JINBA ITTAI 人馬一体 GOD drat CONTROL KNOB MILLENNIALS RUINING MY CARRRRRRS

How else are you going to watch fast and furiously Tokyo edition while driving

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

craig588 posted:

Its ugly as poo poo. It shouldn't be sticking out of the top of the dashboard, it should be built into the center console. Well really it shouldn't be in the car at all because it isn't necessary, but that's another discussion

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cars in Japan have TV tuners in them. One of the guys I stayed with had a really unremarkable Nissan of some sort, and it was definitely live TV.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shai-Hulud posted:

This is about how cold it was here as well, and yeah, there were some strange noises as well and it cranked noticeably slowly. It really needs to warm up like a proper sports car. I didn't take the roof down this time as it was only a short drive to the office garage but I did a few weeks ago when it was just around zero and mostly people seemed to look at me like I'm crazy.

ethanol posted:

Excuse me I think you're supposed to play PS1 racing games on it :colbert:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

NC Trunk leak update: seems to only happen if the car moves in rain. I ripped out the carpet and cleaned up a puddle, it seems to dribble in very slowly since then. Several inches of snow melting doesn't seem o be finding it's way in. Could the rip in the top at the seam above the passengers window be finding it's way to the trunk?

There was shredded grass leaves and a lot of mud in the water, maybe road spray coming up.

I have to pull out the plastic paneling bits at the very back and see what's going on there

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 6, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ethanol posted:

wait, can you actually do that on the higher trim models?? Okay I may look at the club. The wheels are pretty much the only thing I would care about in that package though

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Phone posted:

Cars in Japan have TV tuners in them. One of the guys I stayed with had a really unremarkable Nissan of some sort, and it was definitely live TV.

Can confirm, TV equipped head units are pretty common here. You can get crappy mobile signal one-seg TV tuners or full signal full-seg units. Dealer units usually have a screen cutout so you can't watch it while the car is moving, but nothing a little electrical engineering won't fix.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I didn't want the infotainment in my vehicle because it will look dated sooner than the non-infotainment radio &tc.

Also, I am cheap.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Oh and the Sport doesn't have the shark fin satellite radio antenna. The tall antenna on the Sport enhances the "RC car" look IMHO.

Then again I switched out the antenna for a stubby, so now I can tell my red 2016 Sport apart from the red 2016 Sport owned by someone else in my apartment complex who parks in the same lot.

Phone, you still want my stock floor mats? PM me. Heck, if you gimme your address I can look up shipping.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I didn't want the infotainment in my vehicle because it will look dated sooner than the non-infotainment radio &tc.

So, so true. Most of the infotainment crap on the market these days already looks dated and crappy while still sitting in the show room.

Whereas a nice basic knobs and buttons interior from 10-15 years ago in a not poo poo-tier car still looks good and non-tacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Now, if the Club or GT had a backup camera I would have sprung for them though - that's a good use of the infotainment screen.

My mother has a CX-5 (UK spec) and I've used the infotainment on that, I have no complaints about it except that the GPS is a bit dim, which is a common issue with SatNav in the U.K.