Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

I think most places valorise successful last-ditch defences and stuff. When you're getting crushed in anything, a point where you rally is always going to be notable.

"Near catastrophic retreat and concession of all gained ground along with majority of materiel" is not quite what I'd call a rally.

It really is odd that it's quite so lionized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

HEY GAL posted:

but the way they do it will vary by culture, no?

Almost certainly, sure, but those bits of the story are the bit where the evil empire's crushed absolutely everything, and our plucky heroes escape to regroup and strike back. There's also the Bataan, which was also mentioned, and Wenck holding open a corridor during the Battle of Berlin. Yeah, there's probably something British about the way particular bits are lionised, but early WW2, in public consciousness, is the invincible army running rampant and crushing all before it. Our underdog heroes are fighting for their lives at that point, not to win, and they succeeded. I don't think that kind of general understanding of a narrative event in something as mythologised as much as WW2 was is uniquely British.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

"Near catastrophic retreat and concession of all gained ground along with majority of materiel" is not quite what I'd call a rally.

It wasn't catastrophic, though. That's the point. The expectation was that the entire BEF would be lost; instead they just lost a load of tanks and guns and fell back beyond the (in reality even more effective than understood at the time) barrier of the channel. 25pdrs don't have the same emotive weight as tommies do.

EDIT: I mean, to be clear, it's a military disaster. But when you expected a total defeat and to lose basically everything, a catastrophic loss where most people get to limp away is a win. How WW2 gets remembered isn't particularly an accurate reflection of the military situation at the time.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 6, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It was luck in this case, because the SM.79 was never meant to be multi-role (or at least not that kind of multi-role) in the first place.

Nobody had their poo poo together regarding multiengine torpedo bombers in 1939 except the Japanese, anyway.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It was important in the context of the time to portray Dunkirk as something of a victory, so as to prevent an utter collapse in British morale.

It's not really an uniquely British thing to do so, and it's not that unusual that the idea lingered. I mean Nazi propaganda tried to do the same with Stalingrad.

quote:

They Died So That Germany Could Live

History’s Greatest Example of Heroism has Ended in Stalingrad

Lots of vomit inducing purple prose to be found at

http://research.calvin.edu/german-propaganda-archive/stalingrad1.htm

Fangz fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 6, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose if MI5 can convince the entire planet that carrots give you night vision it's not overly surprising that Dunkirk being cool and good stuck as well.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

US forces at Bataan and the frozen Chosin come to mind for me.

As a Texan, I believe I am obligated to mention the Alamo at this juncture.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Someone already mentioned the Alamo, but an even better example is Thermopylae. Big defeat that didn't accomplish anything, but it's been taught for hundreds of years as an amazing story of "Western civilization."

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I mean, hell, if we're just going for "big defeats that are remembered fondly" the list is going to be even more massive.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grenrow posted:

Someone already mentioned the Alamo, but an even better example is Thermopylae. Big defeat that didn't accomplish anything, but it's been taught for hundreds of years as an amazing story of "Western civilization."

I thought both the Alamo and Thermopylae were supposed to be tactical victories, with the defenders exacting a disproportionate price for what the attackers gained.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

I love all of the statues of William Wallace that just copy the movie. Celebrate your nation by commemorating the time an Australian wiped his rear end with your history in order to make a movie that's mostly about Mel Gibson fellating himself.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Page 262! :mil101:

e: Any interesting stories about the development of jets?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I thought both the Alamo and Thermopylae were supposed to be tactical victories, with the defenders exacting a disproportionate price for what the attackers gained.

In theory you could argue that, but neither seem to have much of a real effect on the subsequent course of the war. Santa Ana's army still outnumbered the Texans by a huge amount, and he eventually lost at San Jacinto due to his own incompetence and poor reconnaissance. The Persians were still marching around Greece, burning cities to the ground (including Athens) and had enough men to put up a pretty hard fight at Plataea a year after Thermopylae, so clearly whatever casualties the Greeks inflicted there couldn't have been too devastating. "Ah, but they inflicted disproportionate casualties!' always seemed like a bit of a cop-out to me in terms of explaining the importance of the Alamo/Thermopylae. Defenders should inflict disproportionate casualties on their attackers, but that doesn't mean we should count them as strategic victories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grenrow posted:

In theory you could argue that, but neither seem to have much of a real effect on the subsequent course of the war. Santa Ana's army still outnumbered the Texans by a huge amount, and he eventually lost at San Jacinto due to his own incompetence and poor reconnaissance. The Persians were still marching around Greece, burning cities to the ground (including Athens) and had enough men to put up a pretty hard fight at Plataea a year after Thermopylae, so clearly whatever casualties the Greeks inflicted there couldn't have been too devastating. "Ah, but they inflicted disproportionate casualties!' always seemed like a bit of a cop-out to me in terms of explaining the importance of the Alamo/Thermopylae. Defenders should inflict disproportionate casualties on their attackers, but that doesn't mean we should count them as strategic victories.

Oh yeah obviously, it's just that the individual forces punching above their weight gives you at least something to be pleased about. It makes some sense to put up a statue and say "look at this cool dude he killed loads of these other guys, never mind that it did bugger all good in the long run, he kicked individual arse, if you all could manage that we'd win every time"

Whereas "giving up everything you set out to do and running away across a huge terrain obstacle and then hiding behind it without any equipment because you left it all in France" would seem a bit harder to spin positively. Harder to be enthusiastic about "woo, we only got literally worse than decimated for no gain whatsoever!"

The ability to muster the evacuation force made sense as an impressive feat but selling Dunkirk itself as a positive seems uniquely weird in terms of war mythologizing.

E: Then again, I suppose there are people who think the Charge of the Light Brigade is inspirational...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 6, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I thought the big deal about Thermopilae was that it kept the Greek coalition from falling apart because it was a big glowing "Yes, we really will fight to the bitter end for your sake" sign from one of the two major coalition leaders. Was I misinformed?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

my dad posted:

I thought the big deal about Thermopilae was that it kept the Greek coalition from falling apart because it was a big glowing "Yes, we really will fight to the bitter end for your sake" sign from one of the two major coalition leaders. Was I misinformed?

Herodotus (who to my knowledge is the only major text we have on this campaign) says that wasn't the case. When the Persians were advancing towards Athens to take the city after Thermopylae, they were hoping that the other Greek land forces would come take the fight to the Persians in Boeotia, but the Peloponnesians hosed off back to their more defensible region and built a big wall. They didn't totally abandon the Athenians (the combined Greek fleet assembled at Salamis near the fleeing Athenians), but there doesn't seem to be a great show of Greek unity because of Thermopylae. All of these explanations for why Thermopylae deserves to be seen as a "great battle of history" seem like a real stretch without much actual evidence to show for it. i think the real reason we still talk about it is that the Spartans used it for later propaganda efforts and then it was picked up by later European cultures when they started getting on a real kick about the origins of "western civilization."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nobody generally knows about the broader military context. Look at the newspaper I posted. "Heroic efforts cleverly outmanoeuvre a superior enemy force, now we shall rebuild to fight back" is a really easy message to sell. Nobody knows or really cares about the logistical difficulty in replacing lost equipment.

Like I said, if you can sell Stalingrad as a *victory* you can sell anything.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hell, I even feel like the defence of Moscow's done as a victory, even though that's the tail end of Barbarossa. When you get your poo poo pushed in, the poo poo-pushing-in letting up for a bit is still a thing to be happy about.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose if MI5 can convince the entire planet that carrots give you night vision it's not overly surprising that Dunkirk being cool and good stuck as well.

Wait, that's where that myth came from? My dad used to tell that to me all the time as an example of when "common wisdom" is wrong, I had no idea it originally came from MI5.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They were covering up how good the British radar network was, IIRC.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

The Lone Badger posted:

They were covering up how good the British radar network was, IIRC.

Aircraft mounted radar, specifically.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/a-wwii-propaganda-campaign-popularized-the-myth-that-carrots-help-you-see-in-the-dark-28812484/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
Soiled Meat

Hi, I realize it's been ages since you asked, but it seems nobody answered, and, well, maybe you'll find this useful or something:

The island turns out to be the Russky Island, which I only searched for after saving the picture.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think you'll find that replacing a BEF amount of soldiers to be a tad harder than just rearming them.

By the way, did the kit change that mich beween Dunkirk and later UK involvements in Europe? Or is it just warlord games trying to sell us two boxes of infantry instead of one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

Page 262! :mil101:

e: Any interesting stories about the development of jets?

The Russians actually had jet aircraft in development during WW2, with at least one example having been flown quite early in the war. Unfortunately, the BI-1 would never make it into production due to teething problems and the death of at least one test pilot. No known examples of the BI-1 exist, afaik.

Another Russian jet thing. The British actually gave the Russians several Rolls-Royce Nene engines. These were tested, reverse engineered, modified, and would eventually be put into the MiG-15.

The Korean War may have been quite different (in the air) if it wasn't for Clement Attlee

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

JcDent posted:

I think you'll find that replacing a BEF amount of soldiers to be a tad harder than just rearming them.

By the way, did the kit change that mich beween Dunkirk and later UK involvements in Europe? Or is it just warlord games trying to sell us two boxes of infantry instead of one.

Depends on what you mean. The loss of equipment at Dunkirk is the sole reason why the 6-pounder gun took so long to get into service - due to the time cost of altering production, the British had to choose between 1000 6-pounders and 10,000 of the older 2-pounder guns. Similar issues led to obsolescent tanks (the Matilda II, Valentine, and Covenanter in particular) being made in large numbers simply because that's what they could make. Individual foot-soldier equipment was less affected, as the Lee-Enfield remained the primary rifle until years after the war. The Sten submachinegun probably wouldn't exist, as that was an emergency project, although something similar (and undoubtably better, as the emergency Sten was only marginally better than nothing at all) would probably have shown up (much the way the M3 Grease Gun was introduced in the US) due to the demand for such weapons. Pretty much all of the heavier weapons at the infantry level either had been in production well before Dunkirk or weren't designed until afterward, and were mostly unaffected.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Did the helmts, uniforms and stuff change much between Dunkirk and Normandy? Because Wargame british mainly come in BEF, Desert Rats and Europe flavors. Obviously, Desert Rats look sufficiently different, but I dunno about th other two.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Did the helmts, uniforms and stuff change much between Dunkirk and Normandy? Because Wargame british mainly come in BEF, Desert Rats and Europe flavors. Obviously, Desert Rats look sufficiently different, but I dunno about th other two.

Yes. But the changes could sometimes just be little things over a number of different "official variants".

seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Battledress#Variants

Similarly, the helmets the Commonwealth troops had could vary in design and series. The Mk III "Turtle" helmet, for example, was designed in 1941 but only made its first use on D-Day. It never completely replaced the old Brodie helmet, which itself had several variants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_III_helmet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_helmet#Variants

I can't recall the various different webbing/etc that everyone had to carry all their gear, but its safe to assume that they also had the same treatment as TOEs were changed.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Gnoman posted:

Depends on what you mean. The loss of equipment at Dunkirk is the sole reason why the 6-pounder gun took so long to get into service - due to the time cost of altering production, the British had to choose between 1000 6-pounders and 10,000 of the older 2-pounder guns. Similar issues led to obsolescent tanks (the Matilda II, Valentine, and Covenanter in particular) being made in large numbers simply because that's what they could make. Individual foot-soldier equipment was less affected, as the Lee-Enfield remained the primary rifle until years after the war. The Sten submachinegun probably wouldn't exist, as that was an emergency project, although something similar (and undoubtably better, as the emergency Sten was only marginally better than nothing at all) would probably have shown up (much the way the M3 Grease Gun was introduced in the US) due to the demand for such weapons. Pretty much all of the heavier weapons at the infantry level either had been in production well before Dunkirk or weren't designed until afterward, and were mostly unaffected.

Would all those problems happened anyway? Did that maybe end up as a benefit as they needed materiel quick and cheap later as they ended up being pushed back in Asia by the Japanese, and soon after were assaulting Africa.
If Dunkirk didn't happen they might have not had industry pumping out enough old equipment quicker and cheaper?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 6, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the helmets the different countries used? It seemed like it would have been very straightforward to just copy each others' designs, so why didn't they converge on a single design?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fo3 posted:

Would all those problems happened anyway? Did that maybe end up as a benefit as they need materiel quick and cheap because they were being pushed back in Asia by the Japanese, and soon after were assaulting Africa.
If Dunkirk didn't happen they still may need to make the older equipment quicker and cheaper because they're still constantly on the back foot with Japan in Asia, and trying to break Axis in Africa.

The difference is that, had the British not lost all their heavy gear in France, they would thus need to produce less of the outdated stuff to bring them up to par before being able to "upgrade" to the better stuff.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the helmets the different countries used? It seemed like it would have been very straightforward to just copy each others' designs, so why didn't they converge on a single design?

AFAIK, same reason why the tanks were different, or the guns were different, or the uniforms were different. It fits the requirements laid down by the governing bodies of each respective military. Also, production becomes an issue vis-a-vis license production. Why would France make Lee-Enfields when it already has production running for MAS-36s? Switching to an entirely new rifle, with new ammo, etc etc, isn't easy. If you take the risk and switch production, and survive the ordeal, it could pay off in the long run, but it may not be the most obvious choice based on the available data at the time.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Fo3 posted:

Would all those problems happened anyway? Did that maybe end up as a benefit as they needed materiel quick and cheap later as they ended up being pushed back in Asia by the Japanese, and soon after were assaulting Africa.
If Dunkirk didn't happen they still may need to make the older equipment quicker and cheaper because they're still constantly on the back foot with Japan in Asia, and trying to break Axis in Africa.

No. Without the BEF losing so much stuff, they would have had enough equipment that the short period of lower production wouldn't have hurt them significantly, and by the time the Pacific War broke out they'd be two or three years ahead of history in equipment.

Fangz posted:

There are minor differences in weight vs. protection value, but the biggest reason they didn't converge on a single design is that a helmet changes your outline significantly (often to the point where it is the only way to identify you at night), and looking like the enemy tends to get your soldiers shooting each other by mistake.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The difference is that, had the British not lost all their heavy gear in France, they would thus need to produce less of the outdated stuff to bring them up to par before being able to "upgrade" to the better stuff.
Yeah but are you saying a successful withdrawal of their gear during the retreat, or a continuing front there?
Because they "lost" France and their gear, they weren't their fighting in that theatre at least.
How useful the heavy gear would be if you had to transport it to SE Asia (only to lose it there instead :v: )

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 6, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fo3 posted:

Yeah but are you saying a withdrawal of their gear, or a continuing front there?
Because they "lost" France and their gear, they weren't their fighting in that theatre.
Imagine if they were still fighting there, and Asia a year later. Or how useful the heavy gear would be if you had to transport it to SE Asia (only to lose it there instead :v: )

For Dunkirk, they can't keep fighting there. That's the whole reason for Dunkirk to begin with. So yes, a withdrawal with all their heavy equipment would have saved them from having to produce a lot of "unnecessary" stuff and focus on more important, if slower to produce, stuff.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Crazycryodude posted:

Woah the Lebensborn program was real? I'm kind of embarrassed I never knew about it, I thought it was invented for The Man in the High Castle as a way to illustrate ~creepy Nazi reproduction~ weirdness.

Oh, but do you know what's really going to bake your noodle?

Without the program, we wouldn't have pop supergroup Abba! Frida Lyngstad was born in an SS Lebenborn creche that recruited from Sweden and Norway :eng101:

OwlFancier posted:

Wait, what?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Carrots improving your night vision was a saying born in WW2 through propaganda to explain away British radar development improving the RAF performance finding German aircraft.
Like the best propaganda, there is some truth in it. The Germans knew about the radars, but vitamin A does help eyesight. But very little of vitamin A that can be absorbed comes from carrots in the form of beta carotene

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 6, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fo3 posted:

Carrots improving your night vision was a saying born in WW2 through propaganda to explain away British radar development improving the RAF performance finding German aircraft.
Like the best propaganda, there is some truth in it. The Germans knew about the radars, but vitamin A does help eyesight. But very little of vitamin A that can be absorbed comes from carrots in the form of beta carotene

I think Tias is more questioning how Dunkirk is "Cool and Good".

Its more of an inspirational thing. Everybody pitched in and we saved our boys from the nasty Germans!

That and the BEF was a huge portion of their manpower. The UK had 13 divisions in the BEF, and I've forgotten how large those could be. As a generic number, they could vary between 10,000 and 20,000.

Also, wikipedia lists this as their official losses.

quote:

In 1953, L. F. Ellis, the British official historian, wrote that by the end of the informal evacuations on 14 August, another 191,870 men had been evacuated after the 366,162 rescued by Operation Dynamo, a total of 558,032 people, 368,491 being British troops. In 2001, Brodhurst wrote that many civilians escaped from French Atlantic and Mediterranean ports to England via Gibraltar and that 22,656 more civilians left the Channel Islands, from 19–23 June. Although much equipment was lost, 322 guns, 4,739 vehicles, 533 motor cycles. 32,303 long tons (32,821 t) of ammunition, 33,060 long tons (33,590 t) of stores, 1,071 long tons (1,088 t) of petrol, 13 light tanks and 9 cruiser tanks were recovered during the BEF evacuations and 2,472 guns were destroyed or left behind. Also destroyed or left behind were 63,879 vehicles, 20,548 motor cycles, 76,697 long tons (77,928 t) of ammunition, 415,940 long tons (422,610 t) of supplies and equipment and 164,929 long tons (167,576 t) of petrol.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Not really, I understand why you'd need to mythicize Dunkirk. The war couldn't stop just because you suffer a horrific defeat, and if there's one thing brits love, it's pluck :v

I'd heard the carrot = good eyesight thing before( as late as last night at a meeting, in fact!), but I'd never heard about it being related to radar.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

For Dunkirk, they can't keep fighting there. That's the whole reason for Dunkirk to begin with. So yes, a withdrawal with all their heavy equipment would have saved them from having to produce a lot of "unnecessary" stuff and focus on more important, if slower to produce, stuff.

The fact most of the BEF got away with quite a decent amount of Belgian/French soldiers pretty much seals the deal on Dunkirk not being a terrible result. If you are looking for spirit breaking gigantic gently caress up's you got Singapore and Hong Kong to come.

Also, remember this thing happened at the tail end of the fall of France and most of western europe more or less in sucession collapsing against the Nazi Blitzkrieg. Spain is fascist, Ireland and Sweden are neutral and the United States is still on the fence. It would be sort of insane at the time to try and not spin Dunkirk into something a little more accepting for the people of the UK.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 6, 2017