Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Grats bloody!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

Grats bloody!!!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

Grats bloody!!!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

a deece 6.1 figgies

nice!

i got owned by a coding screen lol :rip:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bloody posted:

a deece 6.1 figgies

nice nice

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

are figgies on a log scale?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Devonaut posted:

are figgies on a log scale?
they're on a ln scale, times are tough

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Captain Foo posted:

Grats bloody!!!

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bloody posted:

& thanks fam

ur welcome

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

this was not true for the phone interview i had with xilinx, which amounted to "recite some verilog without looking anything up first" and "what is the implementation for <thing> that I am thinking of? not the way you would do it, the way i would do it"

yeah its pretty much always this even if the popular opinion or even the one expressed by the interviewers is "just talk a lot about how your trying to solve the problem, thats almost more important than really solving it"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
interviewers are bad at these questions because they have trouble empathizing with the interviewees position of not being so familiar with the problem they're being asked that the solution seems trivial

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

lancemantis posted:

yeah its pretty much always this even if the popular opinion or even the one expressed by the interviewers is "just talk a lot about how your trying to solve the problem, thats almost more important than really solving it"

i've become convinced that "it's ok if you don't end up solving the problem fully as long as you explain your thinking" is a bunch of bullshit after getting rejected from every company whose technical i didn't ace. it felt like tips on getting partial credit for a test in which only perfection passes.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wish i could get one of these cushy jobs where i just have to explain how i would solve a problem rather than solve it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
wrong thread but who cares

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stymie posted:

i wish i could get one of these cushy jobs where i just have to explain how i would solve a problem rather than solve it

are you actually applying to PM positions?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
so i have an hr phone screener tomorrow. what's a good answer to the inevitable question of "why do you want this position?" other than "i want to do something more interesting than what i'm doing now, for more money" which i'm p sure will shitlist me because it sounds like i'll jump as soon as something even cooler than this company comes my way

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

chmods please posted:

so i have an hr phone screener tomorrow. what's a good answer to the inevitable question of "why do you want this position?" other than "i want to do something more interesting than what i'm doing now, for more money" which i'm p sure will shitlist me because it sounds like i'll jump as soon as something even cooler than this company comes my way

Is anyone ever under impressions that this is not the case? :v:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lancemantis posted:

interviewers are bad
they are

largely because theyre just random managers or team members who happened to be available at 130pm on wednesday to go into a room and spend 30 minutes asking some rando a bunch of questions and have never been trained in interviewing

if i had a nickel for every interview ive been in where the interviewer spent the first half of it asking me questions about the last two jobs on my resume which he was obviously reading for the first time...

"so you worked at xyz corp. um, what did you do there?"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

FMguru posted:

they are

largely because theyre just random managers or team members who happened to be available at 130pm on wednesday to go into a room and spend 30 minutes asking some rando a bunch of questions and have never been trained in interviewing

if i had a nickel for every interview ive been in where the interviewer spent the first half of it asking me questions about the last two jobs on my resume which he was obviously reading for the first time...

"so you worked at xyz corp. um, what did you do there?"

this is going to be me in like 10 minutes :negative:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FamDav posted:

ur welcome

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

interviewing is so universally poo poo. just keep going and bombing and then you'll randomly be offered a job. gently caress it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

they key is being referred such that the interview is just a formality

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

this is gonna be my next job after i get outed as a bad dev

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Xarn posted:

doubtful, but i feel like it can be dressed up a bit more nicely

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Xarn posted:

i always assumed the question was to gauge your ability to bullshit. honesty is not always the best policy.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

unless you happen to mess that up too like some people i know (its me)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

interviewing is so universally poo poo. just keep going and bombing and then you'll randomly be offered a job. gently caress it

its pretty much this -- finding a job is a gamble, in many ways it always has been but its especially true with "technical" interviews now

Rex-Goliath posted:

this only works for some companies

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

chmods please posted:

nobody cares about what your answer is here as long as you don't say anything negative. you are "looking for a new challenge" or "eager to learn new things and explore how other industries do this and that" etc. don't mention money and don't say you hate your job, you were passed over for a raise, your boss was a dick, etc.

Xarn posted:

there are a surprising number of idiots who will answer this with "oh, I didn't get along with my coworkers" or "my boss screwed me and that place was a mess". this is an easy filter question to get rid of people who are stupid enough to say this.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Management posted:

nobody cares about what your answer is here as long as you don't say anything negative. you are "looking for a new challenge" or "eager to learn new things and explore how other industries do this and that" etc. don't mention money and don't say you hate your job, you were passed over for a raise, your boss was a dick, etc.

there are a surprising number of idiots who will answer this with "oh, I didn't get along with my coworkers" or "my boss screwed me and that place was a mess". this is an easy filter question to get rid of people who are stupid enough to say this.

I used to never believe anyone was stupid enough to flunk this question till I started interviewing.

:byodood: All the devs I worked with before were idiots and didn't appreciate my brilliance

* writes "not a good culture fit" and circles till pencil breaks *

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i was honest and said my company was very likely to reorganize their sw department soon and i guess that was a good enough answer because i got the job

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Plank Walker posted:

i was honest and said my company was very likely to reorganize their sw department soon and i guess that was a good enough answer because i got the job

congrats!

i find out if i got the job either friday or monday. interview was wednesday. i guess it's good that i wasn't immediately rejected the next day

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

well if you're consistently "bombing" and you can tell it during the interview, you probably need to bone up on technique a little bit

it's true this is all a numbers game. it's very possible to consistently do well in interviews, but still walk away without offers, just because you happened to be their 2nd or 3rd choice, and the 1st choice responded positively to an offer.

if you are not obviously bombing, but you are not getting many offers, just keep grinding. get your numbers up.

if you feel like you are loving bombing, idk maybe do some practice interviews and poo poo. (and still get those numbers up.)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
nbsd you don't understand, it can't be a numbers game. i'm a unicorn 10x developer, and companies are hiring me for the particular set of skills that only i possess, and i alone can fix their problems. my career success is due entirely to my own effort, there is no random component involved, i am just that good and they can totally tell from the interview. therefore any failures i experience are legitimate rejections of my deepest self, they cannot simply be brushed off, i have been deemed meritocratically unworthy. why else do you think i don't have a girlfriend, and i believe i can do everyone else's job better than them, and i won't join a union, and and and

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if every job youve ever had wasnt obtained via gross nepotism/cronyism

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

this.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mishaq posted:

so basically, lol if you're not white, or at least from an upper-middle-class business-owning immigrant family

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

lol indeed

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my new job was attained entirely through submitting an application into the void of a webpage. I wrote a kinda decent cover letter to go with it (because they were required) but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

JewKiller 3000 posted:

so basically, lol if you're not white, or at least from an upper-middle-class business-owning immigrant family
*surveys 400 years of american history*

yep, checks out

• Locked thread