Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

my new job was attained entirely through submitting an application into the void of a webpage. I wrote a kinda decent cover letter to go with it (because they were required) but

thank you for not moving to dc bloody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

still wish I was moving to dc even if only to watch the apocalypse from the inside

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i lived in the dc metro area for 10 years. don't do a dc. it is not cool or good.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i lived in the dc metro area for 10 years. don't do a dc. it is not cool or good.

ive grew up here, left, came back, left again, came back and now working on getting the gently caress out of here asap :smithicide:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im glad i got my nice liberal suburban education in a stable financially sound blue state but its just congested and bad and boring here

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i specifically declined a goon offer for a job reference there because dc ppl just can't stop murdering queers. wtf dc.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i specifically declined a goon offer for a job reference there because dc ppl just can't stop murdering queers. wtf dc.

huh? dc is like the gayest city in the us

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

at least it is inside of its pizza parlors hehe

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

at least it is inside of its pizza parlors hehe

hehe

the dude that went there was the literal embodiment of :downsgun:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

lol indeed

the new branding is honest at least

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

:ok:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

that can simultaneously be true with what i said:

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2015/11/19/majority-of-d-c-hate-crimes-target-gay-trans-residents/
http://www.washingtonblade.com/2013/01/04/d-c-murders-down-anti-lgbt-hate-crimes-up/

i have a trans friend in dc who had four different people she knows get stabbed in her neighborhood last year. no job is worth that risk.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yah we already know you live there

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fart simpson posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
D.C. is two different cities: rich white people and students city, and poor black people city. just stay in the right one and you won't get murdered.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

txt me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

D.C. is two different cities: rich white people and students city, and poor black people city. just stay in the right one and you won't get murdered.

lol there's no poor black city anymore

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

nbsd you don't understand, it can't be a numbers game. i'm a unicorn 10x developer, and companies are hiring me for the particular set of skills that only i possess, and i alone can fix their problems. my career success is due entirely to my own effort, there is no random component involved, i am just that good and they can totally tell from the interview. therefore any failures i experience are legitimate rejections of my deepest self, they cannot simply be brushed off, i have been deemed meritocratically unworthy. why else do you think i don't have a girlfriend, and i believe i can do everyone else's job better than them, and i won't join a union, and and and

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BLOG INTO THE SLOT. IT’S 37 SIGNALS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JASON FRIED. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

which one is the right one

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
im actually kind of surprised I got my current job considering my background but i guess someone needed someone like me at the time

now i get to work on things that I otherwise wouldn't have had a chance at given my education and got to improve my education a bit as well

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BLOG INTO THE SLOT. IT’S 37 SIGNALS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JASON FRIED. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.

ahem Jason's blog is called Signal v. Noise and the company is now known as Basecamp

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

apparently 23 high up bosses left quite recently, among others their hr boss. somethings going on over there, might be better to stay away

tbqh i sort of suspect that they have saturated their initial idea. could just be a company weirdly knowing when to stop and just bring in the profits

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

we allow friends and family to support interviewees and it's never awkward as gently caress

you work at who wants to be a millionaire?

e: welp, that was an old post.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I might be interviewing again soon

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

after my holiday break I have 2 phone interviews next week

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qirex posted:

after my holiday break I have 2 phone interviews next week

i got a phone interview tomorrow im excited about doing golang stuff for a recently ipo'd company which sounds like a good middle ground between corporate and startup but maybe it's bad for some reason

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

im excited about doing golang stuff ... but maybe it's bad for some reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i worked first day at a new job today. they liked me: i have even been asked
to
come back tomorrow. LMAO

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this locum work is good money but i am alone in a motel unit right now drinking a beer by myself and welp tinder isn't being much help either :[

i bought a tube of pringles to cheer myself up but they're not doing it

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

are there any u.s. cities with a lot of tech jobs besides SF/NY/LA/Seattle/ATX

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximo Roboto posted:

i wouldn't even put atx on that list

(and seattle isn't so much "a lot of tech jobs" as "amazon and microsoft.")

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

echinopsis posted:

this locum work is good money but i am alone in a motel unit right now drinking a beer by myself and welp tinder isn't being much help either :[

arent you a pharmicist? in the us pharmacists can make six figgies just riding the counter at any walgreens and there's not nearly enough pharmacists to cover demand. how are you job hopping this much? is zealand novo really that different?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Maximo Roboto posted:

every city has "tech jobs" its just if they're the place you want to live and if its the job you would want to work (it probably won't be)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there's health informatics jobs all over, not that you necessarily want one

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

please do not gently caress and cum in a pringles tube

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

there's health informatics jobs all over, not that you necessarily want one

That's the Nashville tech niche I guess

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you can tolerate working in finance there's charlotte which has bofa and wells but lol at living in a carolina

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Maximo Roboto posted:

That's the Nashville tech niche I guess

Austin has lots of hardware design and mobile app developers and you can also work for rackspace or google I guess?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

if you can tolerate working in finance there's charlotte which has bofa and wells but lol at living in a carolina

or you can tolerate working for bofa deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i wouldn't even put atx on that list

(and seattle isn't so much "a lot of tech jobs" as "amazon and microsoft.")

Google and Facebook have offices here. Also Tableau, Zillow, Expedia, Redfin and Zulily are headquartered here, along with a bunch of startups of course.

• Locked thread