Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

frajaq posted:

As far as Storm Haven goes, am I supposed to replace my Heavenly Hounds with Luxwing Renos after this expansion?

I don't feel like anyone's figured out what the new set really means for Storm Haven yet other than that Beast Tamer gives you something to do on 4 without evolving. But I'm skeptical that in a meta with aggro blood and big roach combos, you'd want to throw away Good Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i have noticed that i tend to go super streaky in ranked matches; from my lowly a0 rank i tend to go on 6+ match winstreaks or 6-loss benders with depressing regularity

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Oh what's that? Your entire board of spellboosted followers is dead and I healed from 9 to 18 in 2 turns? :smug:

Neph is pretty decent in a grinder deck. My twist on it hasn't lost to Roach Forest at all, and has a really good win rate against Daria Rune and Ramp Dragon, which are all very common at ~1k Master. Aggro Blood is impossible to beat reliably, as you only get to heal on turn 7.

It's a really fun deck to play too, but it's insanely passive, and only builds momentum to deal damage around turn 6 the earliest, but usually turn 8-9. The obvious issue is that DShift and Seraph both eat its lunch, and so if the deck ever becomes prevalent, people will just play those two for free wins.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 6, 2017

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

the game really wants me to play daria. i've opened three now and have no desire to play the minion spellboost deck.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe this is me having a weird reaction to randomness, but I hate the very thought of a dud Nep. IE: 5/5 with ward + draw a card, or deal 1 damage to an enemy board that doesn't care, or anything that doesn't summon Mordecai really. I mean, if you don't know what you're getting when you play it, it's never actually going to be your best play on turn 8. I don't want to gamble with victory, so I made my deck with exactly four cost tiers of followers, and the 7 and 8 slots are reserved for Khawy and Mordecai. So at the very least I can guarantee those 2 effects, 100% of the time. The lower two tiers, 2 and 4, are filled with generally good followers, regardless of whether or not they have Last Word effects or Last Word synergy. If that happens it's a bonus, but I would never rely on it.

I don't know if that's a good plan or not, but that's my Nep philosophy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Basic bitch aggro forest is still really good. Didn't realize how much I missed Liza while playing roach fiesta 2k17 but what a disgusting card, shuts down so much RoB stuff.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clarste posted:

Maybe this is me having a weird reaction to randomness, but I hate the very thought of a dud Nep. IE: 5/5 with ward + draw a card, or deal 1 damage to an enemy board that doesn't care, or anything that doesn't summon Mordecai really. I mean, if you don't know what you're getting when you play it, it's never actually going to be your best play on turn 8. I don't want to gamble with victory, so I made my deck with exactly four cost tiers of followers, and the 7 and 8 slots are reserved for Khawy and Mordecai. So at the very least I can guarantee those 2 effects, 100% of the time. The lower two tiers, 2 and 4, are filled with generally good followers, regardless of whether or not they have Last Word effects or Last Word synergy. If that happens it's a bonus, but I would never rely on it.

That's probably a better plan than my throw everything in strategy that's gotten me 0-3 in the C tier.

EDIT: My Dragon Deck has gotten me demoted from C2 to C1.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 6, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a ramp dragon list that isn't hot trash

The Gamepress one leaves me feeling loving paralyzed against Lurching Corpse, Khawy, Seraph, any Daria player smart enough not to dump their entire hand, etc

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 6, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't recall ramp dragon ever being particularly good, but if it does badly against the flavor of the month decks then maybe it's just not its time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

soulek was playing it yesterday and it seemed ok. i didnt grab his list though.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

soulek was playing it yesterday and it seemed ok. i didnt grab his list though.

So he's playing ramp dragon of all things? Man, that's gotta be expensive after dusting his whole collection.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah he started off only with daria. played a bunch of arena i think and made face dragon and then ramp. it only had like 1 bahamut and 1 fafnir i think though. he bought one or two of the dragon prefabs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Clarste posted:

I don't recall ramp dragon ever being particularly good, but if it does badly against the flavor of the month decks then maybe it's just not its time.

I've never been super enthusiastic about Dragon but sitting on 3 Bahamuts and picking up the prebuilt for dirt cheap had me thinking about not just rerolling my dragon quests this time.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I kind of want to get into this game, but I'm still a little overwhelmed with the different deck archetypes out there, and what I should play. On my pack opening I rolled this:

Is there anything I could do with those out of the box, or a deck to work towards? Any obvious trash legendaries I should liquefy? Are there universally good legendaries that can go into any deck, that I should craft? Thanks!

Edit: So far and from the campaigns I played I probably enjoyed Swordcraft the most, and Havencraft the least. Forestcraft was okay, but the 5 minions per side really limit the fun you can have with fairies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oenis posted:

I kind of want to get into this game, but I'm still a little overwhelmed with the different deck archetypes out there, and what I should play. On my pack opening I rolled this:

Is there anything I could do with those out of the box, or a deck to work towards? Any obvious trash legendaries I should liquefy? Are there universally good legendaries that can go into any deck, that I should craft? Thanks!

Edit: So far and from the campaigns I played I probably enjoyed Swordcraft the most, and Havencraft the least. Forestcraft was okay, but the 5 minions per side really limit the fun you can have with fairies.

With 3 Olivias and 2 Bahamuts, you seem perhaps too prepared to go for some super late-game control deck, possibly dragon. That said, that's not actually a good deck archetype at the moment, although I guess people have been playing around with Phoenix Roost lately. Most of the others are... okay but not great? Like if you play them you'll probably get good value, but they don't go into any existing, popular deck archetypes. Except Tsubaki, who goes in any non-aggro sword last I checked, but not as a high priority. Lord of the Flies is also generally considered a good card, but I don't know if he has a place in control Shadow now that Nep is the cool new thing. Time will tell, I guess.

Lord Atomy is probably a safe liquefy unless you want to go for an unreliable gimmick deck, and Erasmus is probably totally obsolete now that Secrets of Erasmus is a card. Zirnitra hardly ever gets run either, although I'm sort of reluctant to liquefy anything that isn't clearly the worst thing ever. At least until you actually have the good cards that would replace her. Eidolon of Madness seems bad, but it's new enough that I'd wait to see how it goes. And maybe it would be good enough in the lower ranks anyway, if you can stomach Haven.

Olivia is probably the closest thing to a universally good legendary, and you already have 3 of them so yeah.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 6, 2017

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Oenis posted:

None of them are really outright AWFUL though several aren't seeing play right now yeah. When I started I liquified two whole classes worth of cards but I regretted it later when I realized I had nothing to do missions with and I like experimenting. I'm kind of hesitant now to liquify anything cool or expensive in case an expansion makes them playable again. I think for the moment if you want to play Swordcraft you could probably very cheaply make a Banner Sword deck that doesn't even need legendaries, then save up for more expensive sword decks. you can throw the Tsubaki in with it.

e: and yeah you could just dump olivia into decks she doesn't even belong in as a hail mary, really

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Didnt realize leg tiers had been updated on front page. Tbh I'd swap Moon and Seraph (putting seraph at S, Moon at A), put Odin in A-tier and put Merlin back in S but it's kind of early anyways.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

After iterating on the Neph deck a bit, I set everything into 2-cost, 6, 7 and 8 tiers for the same consistency you're talking about, 6 being Balor, 7 Khawy and 8 Morde. It's coming along nicely now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sophism posted:

After iterating on the Neph deck a bit, I set everything into 2-cost, 6, 7 and 8 tiers for the same consistency you're talking about, 6 being Balor, 7 Khawy and 8 Morde. It's coming along nicely now.

...How do you survive?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

...How do you survive?

Massive amount of spell removal. My 2-cost stuff is essentially just turtling.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sophism posted:

Yeah, so how do you survive? Say you face roach forest, what the hell can you do?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sophism posted:

Okay, I wanna see this deck now.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

trucutru posted:

Yeah, so how do you survive? Say you face roach forest, what the hell can you do?

Roach Forest isn't really the issue. Constant unrelenting pressure from turn 1 from Aggro Blood on one end, and decks that punish grinders like Seraph and DShift are what really stomp it. Banishes as expected still ruin Shadow, so I'm considering replacing Unica with Sexton.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sophism posted:

Constant unrelenting pressure from turn 1

This is part of what roach forest does. The only difference is that they only need to do around 6 damage by turn 4 before they kill you in turns 6.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

trucutru posted:

This is part of what roach forest does. The only difference is that they only need to do around 6 damage by turn 4 before they kill you in turns 6.

Roach Forest is a combo deck through and through. The chip damage in the first few turns is just setup while they're getting their Goblin Mages/Feenas to tutor their Roaches. Aggro Blood will be doing non-negligible damage to you every turn, easily bypassing wards. Forest can flood as well as Blood can, but they actually need to keep some of their fairies in hand.

I'm not saying Roach Forest can't be a problem, but in all games I've played against them save one, I easily stabilized by turn 6 with a Death's Breath on an empty board.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 7, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Well, I managed to hit Rank B0 just now. I've been solely playing my Elana Seraph deck in ranked and at the moment it seems what stops me cold most of the time in Daria runecraft, and I have no idea how to adjust my deck or strategies to counter that. As an aside, Dragoncraft players you really need to learn to not drop Bahamut onto a field that has amulets with last word effects on it, you're practically handing me the victory when you do that. Especially when one of said amulets is Seraph.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Eopia posted:

Well, I managed to hit Rank B0 just now. I've been solely playing my Elana Seraph deck in ranked and at the moment it seems what stops me cold most of the time in Daria runecraft, and I have no idea how to adjust my deck or strategies to counter that. As an aside, Dragoncraft players you really need to learn to not drop Bahamut onto a field that has amulets with last word effects on it, you're practically handing me the victory when you do that. Especially when one of said amulets is Seraph.

You just need to have wrath in your hand by turn 6.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mr. Whale posted:

You just need to have wrath in your hand by turn 6.

If you mean Themis, that assume I survive to turn 6 which sadly cannot be guaranteed. If you mean some other card, it's not ringing any bells.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eopia posted:

If you mean Themis, that assume I survive to turn 6 which sadly cannot be guaranteed. If you mean some other card, it's not ringing any bells.

He means themis. Elana should have no problem surviving to six with all her healing unless they have a great hand (drawing the themis is another thing entirely). If you are facing rune then assume it's going to be the Daria version (because D-Shift will kill you anyways) and mulligan accordingly. If that means keeping a themis on hand so be it.

As for tactics, don't drop Elana if you're under pressure, try to set up your Arias so that they pop after the themis if you can but don't be afraid to pop them early in order to deal with the aggro. Just delay until you can themis and hope they don't have Daria #2. Then you grab the board and that should be it.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

I'm seriously considering dropping Balor for good. He's a dead card most of the time, sitting in my hand way past turn 6, and the worst part: When Neph pulls him, if he's ordered first, he tends to kill a damaged high attack minion before Khawy's Last Words. It doesn't help that the guy is so beefy that the best way to trigger the board clear is to use Soul Conversion on him, when I'd usually much rather use it on Khawy. This would also free up another cost tier, and Spartoi Soldier would help stall against the faster decks, while also making turn 6 Death's Breath more reliable.

Here's some highlights against various flavors of aggro. (And Roach Forest.)

This is what has happened in most of my games against Roach Forest. That said, if I brick my early game, and they get a gigantic Ancient Elf turn 4 for free it's pretty much over.

I held on to that Death's Breath the entire game, taking way more damage than I would otherwise, just to prevent a turn 9 Albert stealing the game. Ended up not even needing the drat thing.

Then sometimes you get all your cheap removal and wards against Aggro Blood, and hilarity ensues.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 7, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I think people are starting to tech against blood aggro (and learn how to play against it) and it's edging into my plan as midrange. I'm still climbing but the return was way shittier today. When everyone expects aggro, that tends to help Control Blood but I'm still not convinced that's a real deck. (If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.) I may have to play Roach Combo or something, but I suck at number juggling. Storm, Miracle Rogue, etc. were never my best decks even though I loved them.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 7, 2017

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm really loving Shadow now, I just need to tech my deck a bit more to deal with aggro decks. It's not even that I really care about necromancer outside of the free 2/2 bodies, I just enjoy the style of the signature cards quite a bit.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Just went 5-0 with this blood deck and it was the most fun I've had in take two yet. Four of matches were nailbiters and I never thought I could do this well with a deck that has so many cards that do so little damage for their cost and only one and a half card to deal with Bahamuts (Purge and Medusa with an evolve). Bloodhungry Matriarch was the motherfucking MVP, 4/5 with board clear and chip damage that you can drop on 7 turned out to be pretty good

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think people are starting to tech against blood aggro (and learn how to play against it) and it's edging into my plan as midrange. I'm still climbing but the return was way shittier today. When everyone expects aggro, that tends to help Control Blood but I'm still not convinced that's a real deck. (If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.) I may have to play Roach Combo or something, but I suck at number juggling. Storm, Miracle Rogue, etc. were never my best decks even though I loved them.

Yeah, everybody is teching against aggro but my roaches are still working real well in A1 (I know). The number juggling is not that hard, the actual important thing is to plan in advance how many roaches can you drop and/or juggle in turn 6/7 and check how much mana and space will that cost. Not having enough space in the board is usually what gets me. It is always better to suicide some stupid fairy if that means that you'll be able to drop an extra one in the board on roach turn.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Sophism posted:

I'm seriously considering dropping Balor for good. He's a dead card most of the time, sitting in my hand way past turn 6, and the worst part: When Neph pulls him, if he's ordered first, he tends to kill a damaged high attack minion before Khawy's Last Words. It doesn't help that the guy is so beefy that the best way to trigger the board clear is to use Soul Conversion on him, when I'd usually much rather use it on Khawy. This would also free up another cost tier, and Spartoi Soldier would help stall against the faster decks, while also making turn 6 Death's Breath more reliable.

Yeah I cut balor or whoever and the deck is much better for it. I didn't look at your screenies but I fill the deck with some early wards, ding ding and spartoi 4 ward, and ghostly grasp has actually been an mvp- the deck makes so many shadows that I pretty regularly kill big scary guys for 1 mana. I'll try and find my decklist but just had a 10 win streak into B0

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

This is the Neph deck I've been experimenting with.

The 2-drop slot is very fluid in terms of followers. You can switch Sexton for Unica if you aren't seeing a lot of banishes in ladder. Lyrial or Dark Conjurer are both solid options as well. If you feel like you need more/less draw, changing the Bellringer/Skullcradle ratio is fine, although I would personally never run less than 3 total Last Words draw engines.

I'm also a fan of cutting out one Sexton and both Balors, then replacing them with Spartoi Soldiers for more reliable ward spam and shadow generation. Balor has the nasty habit of ruining the Neph + Khawy combo, or ends up sitting in your hand the whole game. It all depends on whether Foul Tempest is enough board clear for your needs or not.

Your goal is to hit 6 shadows ASAP, so you can fuel Foul Tempest and Death's Breath. That said, there will be plenty of times where you'll need to burn 1 shadow with Undying Resentment or just Foul Tempest for 1 damage to clear a Forest's board. Turn 7 is usually when you can tell if you stabilized in time. By then it tends to snowball in your favor pretty fast.

Outside of being rushed down by the faster decks getting god hands, DShift and Seraph will usually combo you off before you can finish them, although in DShift's case, you can abuse Soul Conversion to leave them without targets. Ramp Dragon and Control Blood can outvalue your late game if they draw all of their heavy-hitters. (Losing to triple Temptress Vampire can be aggravating to say the least.)

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 7, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
On today's A1 meta report: Holy poo poo, A1 is currently full of greedy-rear end shadow decks. Of the lurching corpse / necroassassin variety, with zero taunts besides khawy.

Like, who the gently caress plays that in an aggro environment? That poo poo has pretty much 0% chance against aggro blood. I even managed to have a mega-crap hand and beat one with roaches in turn 9 (after leaving them at 1 hp in turn 8). That shouldn't happen.

Yeah, I bet you can have five mordecais on board you assholes. Shame you're already dead.

Edit: Goddamn, went second against aggro blood with my ramp dragon and a perfect hand. Blazing breath for the 1/2, salamander for Yurius, Ward on 3, Dragon Warrior on 4, etc and I still somehow ended at 3 hp before I could stabilize and win. what.the.gently caress.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 8, 2017

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I just started playing regularly in the past week, and while I was doing ok at the beginning ranks, it seems like I'm mostly playing Runecraft spellboost decks which stomp my bad decks.

I have a decent Shadowcraft, Swordcraft, and Havencraft deck, and struggle to even complete the win 1 missions with my Dragoncraft and Forestcraft decks. I haven't even played Runecraft or Bloodcraft ranked yet.

I have 13 arena tickets, should I do those first before I try playing ranked?

I'm also at 5900 gold. The only packs I've opened have been the intro packs you get and whatever new packs they've been throwing at us for the past month for things like the Bahamut set. What packs am I best off buying? Should I just get 20 of each? I also bought the New Year's Crystal set and have 600 crystals to buy Precons or packs with.

I've finished the main story and have beaten all of the bots on elite. I still have 900 gold I can get from the private match quests.

What would be my best option to be able to put together the widest variety of decent decks?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you're interested in playing Haven, get Darkness Evolved packs. If you're interested in playing Rune or Shadow, get Rise of Bahamut decks. For everyone else, probably Base set? 59 packs is more than you need to fill out the commons and most of the uncommons in the smaller sets though, so make sure you switch packs when that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

trucutru posted:

On today's A1 meta report: Holy poo poo, A1 is currently full of greedy-rear end shadow decks. Of the lurching corpse / necroassassin variety, with zero taunts besides khawy.

Like, who the gently caress plays that in an aggro environment? That poo poo has pretty much 0% chance against aggro blood. I even managed to have a mega-crap hand and beat one with roaches in turn 9 (after leaving them at 1 hp in turn 8). That shouldn't happen.

Yeah, I bet you can have five mordecais on board you assholes. Shame you're already dead.

Edit: Goddamn, went second against aggro blood with my ramp dragon and a perfect hand. Blazing breath for the 1/2, salamander for Yurius, Ward on 3, Dragon Warrior on 4, etc and I still somehow ended at 3 hp before I could stabilize and win. what.the.gently caress.

Everything here was my day in A1 as well :) I'm playing Daria and it's generally been fairly smooth

• Locked thread