Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Byzantine posted:

Cleopatra was white, though.

With how inbred she was, she was probably incapable of producing melanin, so yeah, white like bleached linen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Whatever people think was invented in the past is not the same as what we have today because inventions and such evolve over time and through different cultures.
I have a general issue with the idea of cultural appropriation because for cultures to change they usually adapt from other cultures but the guy drawing the cartoons is a loving moron if he thinks "white people invented everything ever" as an open and close argument.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Byzantine posted:

Cleopatra was white, though.

Not to :can:, but she was of Greek descent, and that's all we can really say since all of the contemporary descriptions of her talk about her charisma and not her appearance.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Not to :can:, but she was of Greek descent, and that's all we can really say since all of the contemporary descriptions of her talk about her charisma and not her appearance.

Yeah, linear Greek descent.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

what happened to cleopatra VI

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brother Entropy posted:

She wasn't that great, the family line was in dire need of a franchise reboot by the time she came along.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
These people weren't very good at coming up with names were they

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

goose willis posted:

These people weren't very good at coming up with names were they

They were just really proud of those two, which, to be fair, are pretty good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

jodai posted:

They were just really proud of those two, which, to be fair, are pretty good.

Well of course they're going to be the best. You'll never know how great Ted can be when you name all your awesome kids Cleopatra and Ptolemy.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Its weird, I had an argument that King Tut wasnt white. There was some study that showed that King tut had some sort of gene that 70% of white complected people have so the assholes come out with the "we was kangs'" poo poo. This seemed a little fishy
The company also had a business of testing your genetic heritage. What coincidence, now YOU could be related to famous Pharoah King tut. All you have to do is pay us 200 dollars and get tested and get a neat lil certificate that show you are Egyptian royalty
so after kinda pointing this out they move the goalposts and still say "well Egyptians arnt Black so whatever"

White supremacists will look for any reason to discount other races even if it means making a claim on a club-footed inbred.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

So a buddy has been commenting on confession pages a lot lately. The "confession" ain't much of a winner, but lets see what kind of comments are....:staredog:

(public page)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

Serious answer: it's not entirely known if Cleopatra VI even existed. At least two or three women at the time were named Cleopatra Tryphaena and a potential Cleopatra VI may have been Cleopatra V because the records are unclear if a woman referred to was Ptolemy XII Auletes' wife or daughter.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

the records are unclear if a woman referred to was Ptolemy XII Auletes' wife or daughter.

To be honest given that family tree both are probably true

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh brother-uncle Ptolomy, you're the best husband ever.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Here's a nice little series I got myself into after work today:

I realized after the screencaps and everything that I didn't expand a couple of comments. Don't worry, you're not missing anything.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Serious answer: it's not entirely known if Cleopatra VI even existed. At least two or three women at the time were named Cleopatra Tryphaena and a potential Cleopatra VI may have been Cleopatra V because the records are unclear if a woman referred to was Ptolemy XII Auletes' wife or daughter.

man monarchy was loving wild

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

chitoryu12 posted:

the records are unclear if a woman referred to was Ptolemy XII Auletes' wife or daughter.

Or hey, it could have been both.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

The one who isn't really faithful, and only believes in god because they have things good, as per Job?

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Satan doesnt warn me... I think he is ignoring me. Are we breaking up? Should I sever?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I'm the blasphemy

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm the misuse of commas.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Satan: "Becareful of this one, Ularg, he'll scream homophobic slurs at you and is generally not a very nice person."

Thanks Satan.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

:stare:

:catstare:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/05/cars-3-first-look/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Madkal posted:

I have a general issue with the idea of cultural appropriation because for cultures to change they usually adapt from other cultures

That's not what cultural appropriation is.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That's cultural adaptation

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Madkal posted:

Whatever people think was invented in the past is not the same as what we have today because inventions and such evolve over time and through different cultures.
I have a general issue with the idea of cultural appropriation because for cultures to change they usually adapt from other cultures but the guy drawing the cartoons is a loving moron if he thinks "white people invented everything ever" as an open and close argument.

That's because you're only working with half the picture. Along with cultural appropriation is the idea of cultural exchange/adoption that still allows for cultures to share and change, but without doing harm to the culture getting borrowed from. Basically it's o.k to borrow poo poo from elsewhere but with respect and full credit to where it came from. And if you can't figure a way to do that, then maybe you just shouldn't; it's not like your life is going to be severely impacted in a negative way if you don't get to rock that war bonnet at Coachella.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

:eyepop: I saw a trailer for that and it was like, all muted and just featured the main character getting into a hilarious nascar wreck and someone in the theater shouted "The gently caress, I thought them cars smiled and talked?" Seemed like a strange direction for the franchise. But I don't think it's at all about whatever these nerds are rambling about.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop: I saw a trailer for that and it was like, all muted and just featured the main character getting into a hilarious nascar wreck and someone in the theater shouted "The gently caress, I thought them cars smiled and talked?" Seemed like a strange direction for the franchise. But I don't think it's at all about whatever these nerds are rambling about.

From what anyone can tell, it is Ricky Bobby but unironically. The French Guy is the millenials.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuebot posted:

well that paragraph is a direct quote from that ew article, it's not like it's tumblr people drawing their own conclusions about cars 3 apparently involving an uppity millenial as a bad guy

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Someone at Yahoo Finance just made the worst typo...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

well that paragraph is a direct quote from that ew article, it's not like it's tumblr people drawing their own conclusions about cars 3 apparently involving an uppity millenial as a bad guy

Yeah, 'Sounds bad.' is someone's words on tumblr, everything before that is a screenshotted picture quoting the article.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

My theater had dead silence and someone going "Did they just kill the protagonist of Cars?"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I giggle to myself everytime I remember Entertainment Weekly is ew.com. Ewwww

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

Oh man, you're right :shepface: it's a direct quote from "first-time Pixar director Brian Fee" this guy sounds kind of crazy. Also when he talks poo poo about the fancy new pretty boy car, isn't that literally just the main character from the first movie? Like it seems like it's basically just a role reversal and now he's the old lovely car and there's someone else to be a smug new fast car. Whatever, it's still a kids movie and the old hero is still going to win the race.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Why the gently caress does Disney think Cars needs to go grim n' gritty? Is it a thing where they're trying to target jaded millennials? Do something like Toy Story 3 where they try and make it emotional that something we loved in our youth is now old, obsolete, and forgotten? Because I'm a millennial and the first Cars movie came out when I was like, 16. I don't think anyone older than 8 gave a gently caress when the first Cars movie came out, and I doubt anyone over the age of 8 gives a gently caress about Cars now.

Like, I can't picture this as anything but a bunch of these Pixar filmmakers writing this movie as "OBSERVE MY MIDLIFE CRISIS" and a whole bunch of other white dudes saying "Gold. Ship it." And I can't imagine many 8-year olds are going to want to watch that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

individual865 posted:

Someone at Yahoo Finance just made the worst typo...

So exactly how often do you need to type 'friend of the family' before it becomes the autocorrect for bigger?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The N and the B are right next to each other though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, that is a plausible, and absurdly unfortunate, typo.