Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They should at least get a slaying bonus against insect enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
maybe give them fractional aptitudes?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Frogs before crabs? Come on get serious about this dev thing

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mormonpartyboat posted:

maybe give them fractional aptitudes?

Is Dungeon Crawl Frog Fractions 3? (You beat me to it!) :argh:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Prism posted:

And now we have a new race.

Barachians are frog guys. They can swim, move at 1.1,

1.2!

Prism posted:

I like Anuran a lot honestly. An.

They were going to be Anurians, but |amethyst strongly disliked the name. (Though I'm not sure he's that fond of this one, either...)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

him name is hopkin green frog

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

They were going to be Anurians, but |amethyst strongly disliked the name. (Though I'm not sure he's that fond of this one, either...)

how does he feel about Hopkins though...

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

M - the ring of Zomicull (right hand) {*Drain rElec rF+++ Dex+10 Stlth-}

Heh heh

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Everyone talks about Singularity a lot, was it just removed for being too powerful?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Huh, I thought MUT_SLOW 1 would be +0.1 move. I haven't played them yet, just peeked at the code. My mistake.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
code:
 You block the naga mage's attack.
 BOUMMMMG!
 You block the naga mage's attack.
 SHROANNG! You hear a shout! You hear an angry hiss. You hear a shout!
 You hear a roar! You hear an angry hiss. You hear a shout! x2
 You hear an angry hiss. You hear a shout! You hear a roar!
 You hear an angry hiss. You hear a shout! x4; You hear an angry hiss. x2
 You hear a shout! x4; You hear an angry hiss. You hear a shout!
 You hear an angry hiss. x3; You hear a shout! You hear an angry hiss.
 You hear a shout! x2; You hear an angry hiss. x3; You hear a shout!
_You hear an angry hiss. x4; You hear a shout! x2; You hear an angry hiss.
 You hit the naga mage.
I love shield of the Gong. Someone might say that it's a bad item but they would be wrong.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

y though

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Chakan posted:

Everyone talks about Singularity a lot, was it just removed for being too powerful?

It wasn't any stronger than other level 9 spells but it belonged to a support school and you could abuse it by blocking enemies in corridors or hitting things from outside LoS.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Obfuscation posted:

I can live with frogmen as a replacement to high elves, but they badly need a better name than Barachian.

The word "batrachian" means frogs and toads. Presumably, they want the power of the Orb of Zot to get the missing T back.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

The word "batrachian" means frogs and toads. Presumably, they want the power of the Orb of Zot to get the missing T back.

So that's why searching for Barachian didn't find anything. I was wondering what the hell was up with their name.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I also considered Vrekekex. (rejected, sadly, for an excess of kek)

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Please god call them Hopkins please

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Keep Barachian for BaBe and BaNe.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Frog Orcs

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
or Frolf, for short

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

jerkstoresup posted:

Keep Barachian for BaBe and BaNe.

Also BaCK, and Baen (books). This doesn't make up for HEWn though BaGl comes close.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
While there's all this talk of bringing back Frog Dwarfs, I went and ascended (to my honest surprise) a Deep Dwarf Earth Elementalist of Ashenzari on trunk. I went in fairly casual, planning to only try out New Sandblast and their healing. Before I realized it I ended up a bit more committed than I expected and ended up winning the thing, transitioning from vampiric short blade user to vampiric casting to rapier of electrocution petrify-stabbing all the way to crystal plate + broad axe of vampirism to finally randart storm dragon and vampiric battleaxe. Weird ride of a character, would not touch Pandemonium ever again.

Sandblast: surprisingly, satisfied. Didn't run out of stones once, kept on using the spell much longer than usual, appreciated being able to curse a weapon and still use the spell at full potential. Was only the second DDEE, so I didn't have a large sample of 'early game viability', but the buffed starting supply of stones seems to be sufficent for at least not-elf.

Healing: The ability initially has a fairly large failure rate, but it quickly drops as you level up. So it isn't OP early game, and you can use it outside of combat at least. AFAIK, when it succeeds it only has a 25% chance of draining a single point of maximum magic, so it's moderately comparable to a wand of healing. It's not any stronger than the potions as far as I can see, and it does not get stronger. You still want divine healing of some sort, though you can manage without (switching to unenchanted swamp dragon scales saved me so much vampiric tedium compared to some randart robes). I was too abusive of vampirism (even sucking the life out of petrified enemies before stabbing them) and with too little prior deep dwarf experience to give any relative opinion on the matter. It worked for me, but I still would have had more fun with Makhleb/Elyvilion, just like before.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LordSloth/morgue-LordSloth-20170106-060134.txt

Conclusion: Would try EE again, say.. a formicid or hill orc would be a breeze, Deep Elf might be a bit more troublesome. Not looking forward to playing Deep Dwarf ever again, tbh. I've never had a more miserable Pandemonium, even with my great resists at the end. If I was the kind of person to play with Elyvilon or Makhleb more, maybe I'd enjoy it?

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 6, 2017

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

with the new race, finally I can play goblet grotto: the roguelike

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Darox posted:

It wasn't any stronger than other level 9 spells but it belonged to a support school and you could abuse it by blocking enemies in corridors or hitting things from outside LoS.

It was also really efficient, on the order of Tornado. That's why it's easily fixed by one or more of

A) Adding one of the "primary offense" schools to it (Hexes, probably)
B) Making it not block its own square
C) Making it not affect enemies you can't see
D) Making it drain MP by the turn, like Dragon's Call

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Well, that was easier than expected.

quote:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-443-g0464b71 (console) character file.

1725760 Lightli the Barachian Blade (level 27, 245/245 HPs)
Began as a Barachian Berserker on Jan 6, 2017.
Was the Champion of Trog.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 03:07:36 (67129 turns).

First person to win the new race, first try. Not that difficult considering it was a Berserker, but still worth mentioning.

Slow movement 1 was, surprisingly, nowhere near as horrible to deal with as slow movement 2 is (i.e. Naga). Even early on I had enough room to get away safely from threats usually or at least relocate to a better place to fight them off at, and the drawback grew less relevant as the game went on until I found a pair of boots of running, whereupon I was now moving at 1.0 AUT like every other race and the main drawback of the species disappeared. I honestly struggled more with the blah strength and dexterity of the race, especially early on (having to wait a bit before I had enough strength to really want to wear plate armour kind of bites when you're playing as a Be)

Hop was really nice to have as a panic button though; free blinking (even with a low range and inaccurate) was very nice to have early on. And later on. And in Zot where teleportation and blink scrolls stop being good ideas. So basically it was really good the whole game.

Of course, the win was mostly being carried by Trog gifting me a +12 triple sword of freezing with MR++, rElec, and rPois. And *Corr, but I never had that get triggered more than once in a fight and was hitting hard enough and packing enough AC that one level of corrosion didn't bother me at all anyways.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mr. Lobe posted:

with the new race, finally I can play goblet grotto: the roguelike
coincidentally I read an interview with thecatamites(which I can no longer find?) where he said playing DCSS(with no idea what he was doing) was an inspiration for goblet grotto

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The Barachian tile isn't even green :(

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

The Barachian tile isn't even green :(

It is for me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's the reasoning behind the super low stats? I know the slow speed doesn't quite balance out the hop, but 6/6/6 is pretty drat low.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's the reasoning behind the super low stats? I know the slow speed doesn't quite balance out the hop, but 6/6/6 is pretty drat low.

Floodkiller posted:

If anyone was testing the dog species (located here!), I want to inform you that I've pushed a dramatic change to the species (AKA ruined it):
-Aptitudes are down from +3 to +2
-Attributes are down from 7 Str/7 Int/10 Dex to 5/5/5
-XP Attribute down from 0 to -1

I did this because, after about a dozen runs (and some other feedback), the species was so overly strong early on that they were able to stockpile all of the consumables they would have used for the late game, making that nearly trivial as well despite the skill cap. They also had a problem that the late game builds were all very similar due to the balanced, decent stats, and they had pretty much every possible skill you could want maxed. The aptitude change should still leave them flexible while putting a little extra pressure on proper skilling/skill choices, while the stat and XP attribute changes should force more build variety based on background choice, and increasing the amount of consumables used in the early game so the stockpile isn't as large later on.

They may take another hit to the XP attribute (down to -2) before all is said and done, but I'm leaving it at -1 for the moment for further testing to ensure I'm not hitting them too hard.

There's nothing really for me to say. Though the orb of zot's story has me tempted to try these guys out a bit.

Edit: misread things, still gonna try out both frogs and dogs.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 6, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LordSloth posted:

There's nothing really for me to say. Though the orb of zot's story has me tempted to try these guys out a bit.

You seem to be confusing the new Frog-dudes in the game with Floodkiller's modded dog-dudes.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Crawl .20: Home of the Frog Dog

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Mark another win for the BaBes. :baby:

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/jerkstore/morgue-jerkstore-20170106-211508.txt

Pretty drat easy, but was getting some great gear. Now back to splatting casters.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I ran a frog fighter of Hep. I wasn't impressed. I'm pretty sure I chose a boring combo, but I didn't feel the frog race brought anything interesting to the game. Gonna try some other combos, if anyone has any suggestions - but at the moment, I'd find high elf more interesting.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

It was also really efficient, on the order of Tornado. That's why it's easily fixed by one or more of

A) Adding one of the "primary offense" schools to it (Hexes, probably)
B) Making it not block its own square
C) Making it not affect enemies you can't see
D) Making it drain MP by the turn, like Dragon's Call

This is a good list! I'm putting it on my backlog to look at.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It was either low stats or low apts; we have only one other low-stat race (ghoul) and plenty of other low-apt races. The exact numbers were, like most of crawl, somewhat arbitrary; on the other hand, i'm not sure if higher stats (7/7/7) would be perceptibly different from baseline.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just worship Chei and have both the slow movement and low stats not be a problem.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

How does the hop work with leda's liquefaction? Or other blinks for that matter. I'm just thinking about it because frogs should be able to hop around in the muck.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What's up with riposte? Is it good? Did long blades really need it? They were already one of the strongest classes of weapon

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Darth Windu posted:

What's up with riposte? Is it good? Did long blades really need it? They were already one of the strongest classes of weapon

They don't actually have quite as much base damage as they used to before riposte, and it makes them different than maces/flails aside from the hydra interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Lame. Also high elves were removed god dammit they are ruining this game for me!!

• Locked thread