Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Txn posted:

Speaking of FFX-2. I just realized that I missed 0.1% of story competition because I didn't want to marry a dude back in the first chapter (still finished the sidequest).

This is what I get for trying to get 100% on the first run :suicide:

First run 100% runs are the least fun way to enjoy a legit great game. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If they REALLY want the the only reward (an extra ending scene) and don't want to play again I tell them to watch it on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

gigglefeimer posted:

That doesn't actually count for percentage.
Wait, it doesn't? Then I have no idea what I missed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Txn posted:

Wait, it doesn't? Then I have no idea what I missed.

The most likely culprits are either interrupting Maechan in Chapter 2, or not doing all the Commsphere scenes in Chapter 4.

That or going with New Yevon instead of the Youth League.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Take it from a guy who steals the flute from Hilgigars every time, 100% in a single FFX-2 run is not worth it.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

The most likely culprits are either interrupting Maechan in Chapter 2, or not doing all the Commsphere scenes in Chapter 4.
That's probably it. Why did they made optional scenes that raises your story percentage after a bunch of things that added nothing?

Thanks!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

100% in X-2 is a lot easier when you find out siding with other faction in NG+ counts toward percentage making up for the various 0.1% you missed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Too bad getting 100% unlocks the bad ending.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"BAAAH I DON'T WANT WAIFU TO BE HAPPY WITH ANYONE OTHER THAN MEEEEEE REEEEEE"

-People who dislike X-2's True Ending. She gets her dude as a reward for her hard work, deal with it nerds, lmao

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the true ending sucks because ffx yuna's attraction/affection for tidus is very unconvincing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gologle gonna gologle

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I mean, on a philosophical level it doesn't even matter if a translator made something up. I mean, it does, but if the hypothetical product that came out at the other end was completely different but still of the highest quality, it'd still be good. I'll bet the grand majority of us played the game in English only. I know I did. It's that old tree in the forest situation. If everything in FFVII was internally coherent and written using snappy, witty and easy to understand language, of very high quality but made significant changes from the original Japanese, who among us could tell? The fact of FFVII's translation not being great is something you and I can tell from looking at the result. It's as plain as the nose on your face. If you can't tell or even disagree then bully for you, honestly, but the ordeals the translation team had to endure to ship the product is a matter of record and any issue that ensued as a result is understandable and forgivable but still present and real in the end. Doesn't mean the game isn't great but I can't lie, I wish VII got the V GBA treatment.
The FF thread is either the best or the worst place to wax philosophical about anime but I think a lot of the hostility from people concerning translation editorial is cultural osmosis leftovers from the japanimation dark ages when various series of anime or sentai were getting inspired-by scripts because suits thought the original stuff wouldn't sell toys. Same sort of thing spawned the subs vs dubs nonsense.

I mostly want a new 7 translation to see how they work the wordplay around the Sephiroth clone project to make the double entendres make sense.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gologle posted:

-People who dislike X-2's True Ending. She gets her dude as a reward for her hard work, deal with it nerds, lmao

actually she gets a weird clone that dies by kicking a blitzball-like mine

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Txn posted:

That's probably it. Why did they made optional scenes that raises your story percentage after a bunch of things that added nothing?

Thanks!

They wanted you to explore the game. Same reason why they made you visit every location in every chapter.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You forgot the best part that his head falls into her hands.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Can you blame him? Blitzballs look exactly like bombs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would just list the entirety of FFX-Will here as "the best part" because literally all of it is whirpool of increasingly stupid ideas and writing, each feeding into the other. I think my personally least favorite thing is Chaumi, the maybe child of Auron whose possible relationship to Auron has literally no bearing on the plot but is constantly mentioned.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
who did a ghost stick their phantom dick into?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

I would just list the entirety of FFX-Will here as "the best part" because literally all of it is whirpool of increasingly stupid ideas and writing, each feeding into the other. I think my personally least favorite thing is Chaumi, the maybe child of Auron whose possible relationship to Auron has literally no bearing on the plot but is constantly mentioned.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the thing with Chaumi was supposed to set up for a sequel where she was one of the main characters but since nobody liked it we'll never know.

Just remember: As far as FF canon is concerned, FFX ended with Sin coming back and everything being terrible for everyone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Barudak posted:

Also, Sin's back. Because gently caress you, that's why.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maester Micah was right, the spiral of death can not be stopped. Yuna Lied, Sin Revived!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just had my first full party wipe in FF1. Shinryu has no business being that tough compared to literally every everything else around him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Just had my first full party wipe in FF1. Shinryu has no business being that tough compared to literally every everything else around him.

As someone else said, you're much better off clearing out the FFVI content before you even attempt the FFV stuff since he's a real spike in difficulty.

Once you finish him off, you can unlock the time-whatever it's called dungeon and boss which is basically mini-game tedium and a tough bossfight rolled into one bad package. It's extra poo poo on mobile devices since the dungeon relies on some somewhat precise movement on a timer which isn't a good time without a real dpad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Barudak posted:

As someone else said, you're much better off clearing out the FFVI content before you even attempt the FFV stuff since he's a real spike in difficulty.

Once you finish him off, you can unlock the time-whatever it's called dungeon and boss which is basically mini-game tedium and a tough bossfight rolled into one bad package. It's extra poo poo on mobile devices since the dungeon relies on some somewhat precise movement on a timer which isn't a good time without a real dpad.

Yeah, I went ahead and did the FFVI stuff first. I think I can get Shinryu next time; I just had one bad luck round with his spells hitting in between heals and buffs.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Brother's diet:
-Red Bull
-Coke

If I remember correctly, when I first played FFX-2 I didn't make a lot of use with the dressphere switch feature. Garment Grids didn't do much for me but this time around I'm being smart. I was surprised how hard battles can be, especially and markedly difficult areas, and how much use I was getting out of buffs and debuffs. Final Fantasy is a franchise stereotyped for having mindless battles that require spamming powerful attacks with occasional healing, but between FFX and its sequel, there was a change going on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mandatory lesbian posted:

i beat all the bosses in ff1 gba so obviously the best armor isn't necessary at all

Well yeah but your red mage will never have his ultimate chapeau or the angel armband shield :colbert:

They fixed it in the psp version I'm assuming.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jivjov posted:

Counterpoint: He's Shinryu. The only way you could make create a bigger warning sign of 'superboss' is if you went back in time to the early 90s and got Square to either release FFV on the SNES or finish Kaiser Dragon for the original FFVI release, so he could become an international figure of challenge and terror even earlier than he did. The only thing that might have even more of an image there is Omega.

Don't forget to bring the fight to Omega too, by the way! He's about as tough, just in different ways.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Motto posted:

I don't like this Tidus. He sucks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finished WoFF. Not going to bother with the postgame stuff.

If I had one major complaint, it's the amount of sequel bait at the end. None of the major antagonists actually die and the codex goes on about this huge cosmology that's barely even glimpsed in the story proper. The game had solid closure despite all that, so it's a nitpick, but come on, give me at least ONE antagonist who desperately yells THIS CANNOT BE before they're consumed in an opalescent supernova.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Finished WoFF. Not going to bother with the postgame stuff.

If I had one major complaint, it's the amount of sequel bait at the end. None of the major antagonists actually die and the codex goes on about this huge cosmology that's barely even glimpsed in the story proper. The game had solid closure despite all that, so it's a nitpick, but come on, give me at least ONE antagonist who desperately yells THIS CANNOT BE before they're consumed in an opalescent supernova.

though it's worth noting that technically, Lann and Reynn are stuck wherever the gate leads to since the ones in the post game are mirages of the originals. I don't think the cosmology stuff is really sequel baiting so much as they just like throwing universe details in codex-type things.

for what it's worth, I rarely do super bosses/end game stuff, but I did it for WOFF and enjoyed it. I just have mirage boards to master and a couple last mirages to get at this point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

though it's worth noting that technically, Lann and Reynn are stuck wherever the gate leads to since the ones in the post game are mirages of the originals. I don't think the cosmology stuff is really sequel baiting so much as they just like throwing universe details in codex-type things.

for what it's worth, I rarely do super bosses/end game stuff, but I did it for WOFF and enjoyed it. I just have mirage boards to master and a couple last mirages to get at this point.

The codex repeatedly says things like "maybe we'll get to see [super cool implied bit] in another game!" so they're not exactly coy about it.

I know about what happens with Lann and Reynn (the postgame versions are actually Champions, not Mirages, though functionally I don't know how much of a difference it makes), but pretty much everything with the Exnine Knights is left up in the air, since Brandelis laughed off every attempt to defeat him, his sidekicks weren't even fighting at full power, and there are supposed to be even stronger Cogna floating out there in the spaces between worlds.

e: not to mention the entire concept of anti-Champions, which SE definitely slipped in there as an excuse to start trotting out FF villain cameos in possible sequels.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 6, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Well yeah but your red mage will never have his ultimate chapeau or the angel armband shield :colbert:

They fixed it in the psp version I'm assuming.

oh see your problem is having a red mage instead of god's intended party, 4 black belts no this was not my party for the shinyu/omega weapon but now that i'm thinking about it....

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
oh nooooooo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That is already my favorite .gif.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bloodychill posted:

oh nooooooo

This is amazing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bloodychill posted:

oh nooooooo

Final Fantasy games have the best regicides.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

The codex repeatedly says things like "maybe we'll get to see [super cool implied bit] in another game!" so they're not exactly coy about it.

I know about what happens with Lann and Reynn (the postgame versions are actually Champions, not Mirages, though functionally I don't know how much of a difference it makes), but pretty much everything with the Exnine Knights is left up in the air, since Brandelis laughed off every attempt to defeat him, his sidekicks weren't even fighting at full power, and there are supposed to be even stronger Cogna floating out there in the spaces between worlds.

e: not to mention the entire concept of anti-Champions, which SE definitely slipped in there as an excuse to start trotting out FF villain cameos in possible sequels.

The actually cosmology behind how the champions system seems to work is both interesting and kind of a huge dick move depending on the champion. So as I understand it, at some point early in Enna Kros's career as a god she starts looking at other worlds and incorporates elements she likes into the ones she makes, including a bunch of beloved FF characters and also Shelke.

She essentially mass copies these souls and seeds them into her worlds to serve as a defense system where they live as mediums until it's time for their true super powers to awaken. However they also live in similar circumstances with roughly similar events occurring to them in order to make them authentic. So while Bartz for example will always wind up as a traveling badass with a chocobo bff, others like Celes will be ultimately be betrayed by her government and used as a test subject, or Rydia's family and hometown will die in a fire and Cloud will enjoy at least a few of the more traumatic highlights from the Cloud Strife experience and get shackled to a storyline about hunting down Sephiroth.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 9, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
After taking a couple days off, I finally went back and beat FF1's Shinryu. The tricky part was getting all the buffs up while maintaining sufficient healing.

EDIT: Aaaaaand now to slog all the way back through the Grotto again to fight Omega...

EDIT2: Omega went down on my first try. Sweet, now to try that PSP-exclusive dungeon, and then finally beat this drat game.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 9, 2017

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Did anyone want a tell-all about Final Fantasy 7's development?

Because there's a tell-all about Final Fantasy 7's development.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I definitely want someone to read that and post the interesting bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I want Gologle to read that and post a summary longer than the actual article.