Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migertantix
Jul 15, 2003

Awesome, can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Darn, why does it has to be the day after my two weeks off :(

Well, at least my family will see me during the holidays

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Will be playing with a friend on Alb side when Uthgard launches in a few days. Going Mercenary and he Minstrel. Wouldn't mind playing with more goons :)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Alb? Hrm why not. It's my least favorite realm but I guess I can give it a go.

I only dread the minimal group exp bonus of Uthgard. I kind of liked the Genesis rule that adding an extra player to your group always increased the exp/hour, even if that player was a total leech and did practically nothing to contribute.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I leveled a cleric and reaver during beta and it kinda sucked. Duoing a paladin and reaver was fast but it was pretty hard finding decent groups other than that. Not sure if I'll play live.
I kinda wanted to play hib, but it's way easier for me to do alb since I actually know where to go to level.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Evernoob posted:

Alb? Hrm why not. It's my least favorite realm but I guess I can give it a go.

I only dread the minimal group exp bonus of Uthgard. I kind of liked the Genesis rule that adding an extra player to your group always increased the exp/hour, even if that player was a total leech and did practically nothing to contribute.

Yeah, I made it to 41 during beta and realized I'd probably not being playing on live. I forgot just how long it used to take to level.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I'll be playing Hib with the number 1 Rvr guild!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Would love to play again but it just takes too dang long to level and I have other games to play. Would totally be a mana bitch sorcerer again though.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
If there's a goon consensus for Uthgard on a realm and guild you can count on my brother and I to try our best to level with you all.

I prefer playing DoT or support-type casters, so I'd probably go (in order):

Alb -- Sorc, Cab, or Minst. MAYBE Necro just for the initial PvE farm?
Hib -- Mentalist, Animist, Enchanter?, Eldritch?
Mid -- SUB SHAMAN NO DOUBT

Please, for gently caress's sake, pick a majority realm and stick to it.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

boho posted:

Please, for gently caress's sake, pick a majority realm and stick to it.

This will never happen.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

clone on the phone posted:

This will never happen.

I know.

e: Goons actually did OK at sticking with Midgard at the Genesis launch.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I will be going albion.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Yeah i think i will roll up a sorc and be super casual about leveling otherwise I will just burn out.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm on board for Alb, just gotta steer my easily influenced by pubbies in zone chat brother away from Midgard.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

As soon as the servers go live me (Mercenary) and my buddy (Minstrel) will be leveling. Should we setup a discord so goons can easily group up and play together maybe?

Also if there's some daoc vets around does any of you have any good .ahk macros for weapon switching and stuff like having several different abilities on the same key so you can use the right one depending on your position and so on?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You can't macro. Also, you can all use my discord if you want. https://discord.gg/0qhecUGK8tfEvvje

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'll be going Cab (not experienced enough to Sorc) and my brother will be going buff Cleric.

RavenWolf
Nov 22, 2004

Words can create an oblivion ocean.
I will be playing when the server starts up, not sure what class to start but eventually want to level up a minstrel as that was my favorite class when I played years ago.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Kazvall posted:

You can't macro. Also, you can all use my discord if you want. https://discord.gg/0qhecUGK8tfEvvje

Do you know if they ever expanded on the rule that says no macro tools?

I haven't seen any posts in the forums about it specifically. I would assume that automated weapon switching based on scanning chat log and the more complex stuff is out of the question, but I'm not sure if they're against doing stuff you can macro with any gaming keyboard.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You'd have to look deeper into that, tbh.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Any macroing to perform two actions with a single button is banned, though unless you're doing something outrageous or posting videos I don't see how anyone would know.

Saving keyboard space by binding c to cure desease and stun on a cleric probably won't get you in trouble.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Sounding like a pretty caster-heavy albion setup. I wonder if the rest of the playerbase fits that profile. Who needs tanks anyway?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That's what alts are for. I'm going theurgist on start, because it's cheap and because I have a necro battery to duo with.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Alright, I'm torn on Sorc vs. Cab. I've read Sorc+Cleric is a potent PvP combo, but how's it fare in PvE? Are Sorcs any good soloing in PvE?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

boho posted:

Alright, I'm torn on Sorc vs. Cab. I've read Sorc+Cleric is a potent PvP combo, but how's it fare in PvE? Are Sorcs any good soloing in PvE?

A sorc will usually be mind-spec'd for mezzing. Not great for solo, but it works. Finding good pets is key.

Kazvall posted:

That's what alts are for. I'm going theurgist on start, because it's cheap and because I have a necro battery to duo with.

There may be a lot of leveling groups struggling to find melee fighters.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Deuce posted:

There may be a lot of leveling groups struggling to find melee fighters.

In beta there were a decent number of melee players, they just tended to not level up as quickly because it was difficult for them to get equipment to stay useful. Once a few people have hit 40 and crafters start appearing, leveling a tank will be a lot easier.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Deuce posted:

A sorc will usually be mind-spec'd for mezzing. Not great for solo, but it works. Finding good pets is key.

I've never played a charm class in DAOC before -- just in Everquest. How's charming work in DAOC? Can charm break? Does it have to be refreshed? Are charmed mobs just as strong as their non-charmed selves?

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Sorcerors and Hunters you just have to land the charm spell once and the pet is yours until one of you dies. Mincer and Mentalist sing a charm song that pulses a charm attempt every 8 seconds and if two attempts in a row are resisted the pet gets loose and tries to kill them. Mobs are exactly the same once charmed and they scale much better with Cleric buffs than players do.
There is a (probably incomplete and possibly wrong on Uthgard) list of good pets here http://charm.enygma.net/archives.html the Sorceror spec on that webpage is an all in solo spec that most groups would be salty about grouping you with until level 40 or something (they only really care about power regen).

A Sorceror with any spec more sensible than ALL MIND ALL THE TIME I ONLY EVER CAST MEZ IN GROUPS will be a good solo class.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 6, 2017

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Jessant posted:

Sorcerors and Hunters you just have to land the charm spell once and the pet is yours until one of you dies. Mincer and Mentalist sing a charm song that pulses a charm attempt every 8 seconds and if two attempts in a row are resisted the pet gets loose and tries to kill them. Mobs are exactly the same once charmed and they scale much better with Cleric buffs than players do.
There is a (probably incomplete and possibly wrong on Uthgard) list of good pets here http://charm.enygma.net/archives.html the Sorceror spec on that webpage is an all in solo spec that most groups would be salty about grouping you with until level 40 or something (they only really care about power regen).

A Sorceror with any spec more sensible than ALL MIND ALL THE TIME I ONLY EVER CAST MEZ IN GROUPS will be a good solo class.

For the minstrel the pet charm is a very powerful tool, as you can charm pets above your level, I've never played a mentalist but I think the charm works the same way. I think Uthgard doesn't have the free lvl 50 charm for the minstrel which will "hard" charm a pet so it wont break. Also using the pet to break roots/mez's as the mini is a great tool as you can drop charm, the pet will break the root by attacking, then you can charm the pet again.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Uthgard forums are feeling the strain, more people there then in gbs.
I'll be an eld or bard, something fyr, see you in 5!

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
I suck and never played this before. Help what class should I play to not be an outcast.

Edit: 1300 players in queue. Welp

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Some French Guy posted:

I suck and never played this before. Help what class should I play to not be an outcast.

Edit: 1300 players in queue. Welp

For leveling up, avoid the stealther classes. Difficult to find groups. (Minstrel doesn't count, they're great for groups)

Any healing class will be popular.

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
And here I was aiming at a stealth class :/. Not gonna be a healer bitch though

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Some French Guy posted:

They just have trouble with the durability and/or sustained DPS for prolonged PvE.

Also popular is anything with power regen. (for albion, Minstrel or Sorceror)

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Friar can be a good option too, although most likely not as easy to get groups as a Cleric, Sorcerer or Minstrel. You can solo decently as a Friar and be an off healer. Sorcerer is probably the best for being desired by groups with the ability to solo well, but isn't as newbie friendly as a Cleric or Friar.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Some French Guy posted:

Some French Guy posted:

These goals are not compatible, please try again.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Mid-day today I attempted to log in and was #1850 in the queue. I really didn't think the server would be this popular.

It'll drop by half over the next month, but drat son.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
What is a good solo class in Albion on uthgard? My play times are all over the place so I would like something I could level solo that could still be decent in RvR.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Beach Party posted:

What is a good solo class in Albion on uthgard? My play times are all over the place so I would like something I could level solo that could still be decent in RvR.
Cabalist is probably your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I played DAOC for 3-4 months in late 2001. EQ was in the Velious expansion and I was pretty burned out on it. Lots of EQ players were buzzing about how nice DAOC was, so I finally tried it out. You could ride a horse, fight Realm vs Realm, and create siege machines. I made a ranger and got him to 35 or so.

I logged in last night after waiting in the queue, but I was really lost with the controls and with relearning a new interface. I'll give it another go this week.

I'm watching twitch streams and realizing how dull the pve is in DAOC as compared to EverQuest. It reminds me of the lackluster pve you see in korean grinders.

• Locked thread