Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tei posted:

True that. I heard mobile computing is very popular in places like Africa, where maybe building a cable grid would be to complex and pointless, while setting the antena in some places and selling cheap phones make more sense for everyone involved.

Anyway people have a computer in their pants but all they do is look at cat photos and reply to their aunt about a baby photo.

What has really changed on the world with people having all that computing power in their pockets?

well, we still employ the people who made maybe three of those products in the electronics manufacturing field (plus some Congolese coltan miners); instead of having the state of the world outside our personal range of vision dripfed to us by one of a half-dozen national news conglomerates we're inundated with live in-person video feeds of newsworthy events and/or cats 24/7; smalltime musicians and artists can reasonably self-publish and make an actual living selling to an audience of thousands distributed across the continent (and take your credit card, cause who uses cash anymore); without extraordinary measures that will mark you as an antisocial wierdo everywhere you go and everything you say and do will be automatically tracked and analyzed by multiple sinister organizations compiling your secret biography for uncertain motives; anywhere you go you can instantly and effortlessly know where to get anything you're looking for, the quickest way to get there, the meaning of the word that guy just said, how to fix that thing that just broke, with no prior knowledge; and so a lot fewer people bother to retain deep personal knowledge of that kind of day-to-day knowhow. Just off the top of my head.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rscott posted:

The distributive productive aspect of social media has basically killed traditional journalism and print media, the consequences are writ large in who is the president elect of the United States of America

Not really. Crowdsourced news is really good at some things, like ensuring that many police shootings and protests are livestream, but really bad at stuff like investigative pieces.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

Not really. Crowdsourced news is really good at some things, like ensuring that many police shootings and protests are livestream, but really bad at stuff like investigative pieces.

Print media was pretty bad at investigative work too, let's be real here. For every Woodward and Bernstein team there was about a decade where the Washington Post just republished whatever press releases someone sent them.

The instantaneous and free nature of online news hurt the newspapers' distribution until they adapted, but it was traditional journalism that discredited its own self once there was a venue for people to fact-check the New York Times and get the word out on when their columnists were just straight making poo poo up

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 28, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

I didn't say it was a good thing, the double edged sword is as you describe. Fact remains most news doesn't come from traditional media sources anymore. The ubiquity of our mobile devices have allowed social media sources to supplant TV and print media in a way that neither could do to each other.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Even though they are a horrible company that treats its journalists like trash, Vice has shown that there is a way to produce investigative journalism using modern revenue systems.

Buzzfees.UK is also pretty good, but what they do requires some good intentions compared to Vice; clickbait articles generate lots of revenue, which in turn is used to subsidize deeper articles which earn more positive PR (and help make journalists less depressed that they spend their plane trips compiling 15 Best Cat Videos of 2016).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Even though they are a horrible company that treats its journalists like trash, Vice has shown that there is a way to produce investigative journalism using modern revenue systems.

Buzzfeed.UK is also pretty good, but what they do requires some good intentions compared to Vice; clickbait articles generate lots of revenue, which in turn is used to subsidize deeper articles which earn more positive PR (and help make journalists less depressed that they spend their plane trips compiling 15 Best Cat Videos of 2016).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rscott posted:

I didn't say it was a good thing, the double edged sword is as you describe. Fact remains most news doesn't come from traditional media sources anymore. The ubiquity of our mobile devices have allowed social media sources to supplant TV and print media in a way that neither could do to each other.

Plenty of news comes from traditional media sources. Crowdsourced high-quality news isn't that common, and - importantly - isn't very reliable.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Tei posted:

Just has a joke:

Imagine a market where instead of the products, you walk trough walls of flat TV monitors and press a button on the screen showing the ad for the product you want to buy. Then you get to the exit, what you have buy is already paid and packaged in nice bags.

I don't mean this is the future, this is only a joke.

This already exists. It's called a web shop.

Here's another look at the future of shopping (and everything). https://vimeo.com/166807261
Identity jokes aside, I'd say it's pretty convincing.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 28, 2016

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So I haven't had time to scan the thread too much, but I have a question for people more acquainted with automation issues than me:

I'm getting my PharmD degree. What's the state of health care automation and how long do I have before Walgreens replaces us with robots so the only career route we have left is nebulous med-rec/BEERS consulting gigs for retirement homes in the parts of Florida still above water.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So I haven't had time to scan the thread too much, but I have a question for people more acquainted with automation issues than me:

I'm getting my PharmD degree. What's the state of health care automation and how long do I have before Walgreens replaces us with robots so the only career route we have left is nebulous med-rec/BEERS consulting gigs for retirement homes in the parts of Florida still above water.

Health care in general is safe for now as they consist of a lot of human interaction and activities that aren't rote.

Pharmacists are technically the exception, but have fairly strong unions, which is why they haven't been replaced already. I cannot accurately guess how long the pharmacy unions will hold out, but I can tell you that a few robot pharmacists have been around for a few years and have proven to be less error prone than humans.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Health care in general is safe for now as they consist of a lot of human interaction and activities that aren't rote.

Pharmacists are technically the exception, but have fairly strong unions, which is why they haven't been replaced already. I cannot accurately guess how long the pharmacy unions will hold out, but I can tell you that a few robot pharmacists have been around for a few years and have proven to be less error prone than humans.

They also don't steal drugs and make casual HIPAA violations a lot less. I worked at a place that had an automatic presciption system where the pharmacists only role seemed to be taking the output bottle out of the system and handing it to the customer.

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Not long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbLIBNMPv9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oumlYbwfAsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqTkTwQhvw

Jesus Horse fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 29, 2016

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

At the very least these systems are expensive and still limited in terms of implementation so as long as I stay in the middle of nowhere where they can't afford one I'll be safe :v:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

SwissCM posted:

You don't need to be hooked up to a power grid in order to use a smartphone and the market is utterly swamped with low cost, lovely but functional handsets. That comic was made quite a few years ago, at the time many still weren't convinced as to just how popular and affordable mobile computing would become, particularly in developing countries.

Not to mention Facebook's R&D into bringing internet service to developing countries. Or the myriad technologies developed for entertainment or warfare which ended up being used to legitimately improve people's lives.

That comic is a shining example of how "social justice warrior" ended up being used as an insult (well, aside from bigoted shitheads getting butthurt over society frowning upon their beliefs).

Uncle Jam posted:

There are a bunch of restaurants I eat at in Japan that have an iPad ordering system, then the order comes down a belt with a RFID in the tray and comes out onto the right table.

It owns and you never have to interact with another person, and the menu can be switched to tons of languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0yE3pRcIBM

The population is expected to contract like crazy so there is a big push to automate everything.

Last I checked, birthrates in quite a few countries (including China and Russia) have fallen to sub-replacement levels. In most cases it's not as low as Japan, but that may change once decent quality sex-bots become common.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Asia has had resturants you self serve yourself plates of food then pay at the end by the number/type of plates you have forever and ever. There has never been a technological barrier to getting rid of waiters in restaurants. If restaurants dump them it's not because touch screens were some wild invention that let customers call orders out to the kitchen for the first time.

Uncle Jam posted:

This has been the opposite of my experience. What specific restaurants have you visited that are like this?

I know Japanese curry and noodle places have had ordering kiosks since before the age of the ubiquitous touchscreen - they resemble(d) old-fashioned soda vending machines with large illuminated physical buttons with pictures of the food on them. You would put in your money and push the button to receive a ticket that you would then pass to the back-of-house staff.

For the count the plates and pay afterward thing, I associate that with dim sum and conveyer belt sushi. Dim sum does rely on a waitperson of sorts to walk around with the cart.

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyp_ubQArHk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Dunno how close that is to production, but your kebab job is already hosed:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

They say they're planning to launch a consumer version this year. If they upgrade it to where it can parse recipes from cookbooks and websites (which should be quite feasible with today's machine learning and language processing technology), I'd start saving up for one in a heartbeat.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^

Is the robot smart enough to hide rot in the meat?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cockmaster posted:

They say they're planning to launch a consumer version this year. If they upgrade it to where it can parse recipes from cookbooks and websites (which should be quite feasible with today's machine learning and language processing technology), I'd start saving up for one in a heartbeat.

i dont see the point of this versus frozen meals, which are the superior way to introduce robotic processing to create cheap meals

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^

That's shawarma, not kebab. :spergin:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Neurolimal posted:

Similarly, grocery stores haven't found a way to have a self-checkout system that is hard to shoplift from that doesn't constantly lock up and ask for a cashier to help.

I fuking hate self-checkouts and when I lived in seattle everyone would line up at cashiers for like 10 min rather than use them

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KillHour posted:

That's shawarma, not kebab. :spergin:

it's doner kebab, a shish kebab is the thing with the stick through it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If it's meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie, it's a gyro. *opens levantine food :can:*

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RedneckwithGuns posted:

My girlfriend is going through Pharmacy school now. I've strongly encouraged her to acquire additional skills to allow her to do something beyond just retail pharmacy.

It looks like there's some push to give pharmacists more ability to provide primary care, like administering vaccines, etc.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Here's a sort of interesting, sort of automation related story: http://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/algorithm-does-real-time-city-wide-ridesharing/

quote:

With the software in hand, the team then turned to their real-world data: every single taxi trip taken during a week in May of 2013. That's the time and location of every pick-up and drop-off for each of the city's 13,586 taxis.

The authors suggest that using their system can get a lot of these cabs off the roads. With a fleet similar to today's four-seat vehicles, only 3,000 would be needed to serve 98 percent of the ride requests. Riders would experience a mean wait of 2.7 minutes (generally quicker than hailing a cab) and an in-ride delay of 2.3 minutes due to handling other passengers. Switching to vans with a capacity of 10 passengers, similar numbers could be generated with just 2,000 vehicles.

Really more about centralization than strict automation, though, and obviously take the massive reduction in congestion that the study authors are giving here with a huge grain of salt. It kind of gets to the heart of what a lot of people are claiming with autonomous cars, though: if you can manage them properly, you can potentially have less cars on the road serving the same number of people just as a result of more efficient routing.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

moller posted:

I know Japanese curry and noodle places have had ordering kiosks since before the age of the ubiquitous touchscreen - they resemble(d) old-fashioned soda vending machines with large illuminated physical buttons with pictures of the food on them. You would put in your money and push the button to receive a ticket that you would then pass to the back-of-house staff.

For the count the plates and pay afterward thing, I associate that with dim sum and conveyer belt sushi. Dim sum does rely on a waitperson of sorts to walk around with the cart.

Yeah I know those button machines but I always end up talking to the person I give the ticket to about the order, and once you have the food you can add on while eating like more noodles and how to cook the noodles.

For count the plates you can always yell out an order for something that's not on the belt, and is pretty much required during non rush times since they don't stock the belt much then.

The completely automated stuff is super new.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Good job, Big Data. You've invented the bus.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah I know those button machines but I always end up talking to the person I give the ticket to about the order, and once you have the food you can add on while eating like more noodles and how to cook the noodles.

For count the plates you can always yell out an order for something that's not on the belt, and is pretty much required during non rush times since they don't stock the belt much then.

The completely automated stuff is super new.

They are really nice for people who don't speak the language.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Inferior Third Season posted:

Good job, Big Data. You've invented the bus.

I mean, yeah, but not really.

quote:

Riders would experience a mean wait of 2.7 minutes (generally quicker than hailing a cab) and an in-ride delay of 2.3 minutes due to handling other passengers.

The idea is more to keep the benefits of taxis while getting the majority of them off of the roads. I'm skeptical of the real world practicality of this even if we magic up fully autonomous cars, but I think it's disingenuous to say that more efficient taxi service is the same thing as bus service.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
One of the things that I think often gets overlooked when talking about autonomous systems is the necessity of changing the environment to facilitate the change.

For example, take autonomous vehicles. Roads are not designed for robots, they are designed for people. To date, all AV systems have essentially had to learn to drive like people, relying heavily on vision processing. As you start seeing AVs hit the roads, I'm curious to see how the government changes infrastructure to accommodate them. Things like IR or RF markers on signs or stop lights to make it easier for vehicles to follow traffic laws, or standardization of AV techniques to allow for things like inter vehicle communication. People are already talking about having AVs communicate with each other and plan traffic flow with swarm behavior techniques.

Same goes for UAVs (my field of interest when I was in school). Industry is itching to implement UAVs and some already have in fields like farming and construction. I want to see how the FAA ends up implementing it's regulation for commercial drone use. I think the biggest obstacle there is collision avoidance.

It's like with electric cars. The biggest block to electric cars isn't that the technology isn't there, it's that nobody has built all the charging stations yet.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

The issue is that it really is just more convenient. You can browse the menu at your leisure, don't have to worry about your order being misunderstood, and you don't have to worry about writing down or remembering anything if you're doing a group order.

Also, with services like Grubhub, Amazon, etc, there's accountability. If a restaurant fucks up an order, you don't have to argue with them about whether or not they're going to compensate you because the delivery guy had the pizza in his car sideways the entire way. That was actually the exact thing that prompted me to stop ordering directly from restaurants.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My girlfriend is going through Pharmacy school now. I've strongly encouraged her to acquire additional skills to allow her to do something beyond just retail pharmacy.

It looks like there's some push to give pharmacists more ability to provide primary care, like administering vaccines, etc.

Yeah I probably should have said I made my mind up about specialization outside being a retail drone before I even posted this, but I can't deny the appeal of making 100k+ a year with great benefits for how rote and easy it is working retail.

Hell on your feet though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is the robot smart enough to hide rot in the meat?

Because of increased efficiency of robot-butchered meat getting robot-delivered to a robo-vendor, there is unfortunately not going to be a place in the process for the guy whose job it is to pre-rot the meat in the first place.

It's a dark age for these small but taditional artisan professions.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

BedBuglet posted:

One of the things that I think often gets overlooked when talking about autonomous systems is the necessity of changing the environment to facilitate the change.

For example, take autonomous vehicles. Roads are not designed for robots, they are designed for people. To date, all AV systems have essentially had to learn to drive like people, relying heavily on vision processing. As you start seeing AVs hit the roads, I'm curious to see how the government changes infrastructure to accommodate them. Things like IR or RF markers on signs or stop lights to make it easier for vehicles to follow traffic laws, or standardization of AV techniques to allow for things like inter vehicle communication. People are already talking about having AVs communicate with each other and plan traffic flow with swarm behavior techniques.

Boston Robotics seems to put QR codes printed on stuff like doors and boxes, probably with a label so the vision algorithm can read the "name" of the object. But seems cheap to print a bunch of QR codes and glue them to poo poo.

Current version of autonomous cars seems to drive (in perfect conditions) without any of that stuff. So is not a requirement. Only something that will be helpful.

HELL, even for humans, having the name of roads encoded in the road so your car display in a hud the name of the road would be incredible helpfull. If that connect with the automatic navigation system and each road have a unique id, it would make the whole navigation systems more robust.

I think the problem with automatic cars will be thieves and vandalism. People tricking automatic cars to take a detour to a river, with the hilarious effect of 80 unoccupied automated cars forming a pile in a river after a pair of teenagers found a hilarious trick. Automatic cars seems supereasy to trick. If cars are programmed to stop after every "accident with possible wounded people", it will be trivial to do highway robbery. Force automatic cars to stop to rob them.

But these are problems for the people of the future. We don't have to solve all the problems of the people of the future, only make sure they get to live and have cool poo poo to play. We are climbing a mountain and we can't see the valley on the other side of the mountain.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 6, 2017

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Tei posted:

Current version of autonomous cars seems to drive (in perfect conditions) without any of that stuff. So is not a requirement. Only something that will be helpful.
Perfect conditions being the key words. Most of the robots have real issues with inclement weather. My old AI professor specializes in vision processing and consults for Lexus on their self driving car.

He talks a lot about having smart lane dividers and pedestrian sensors at crosswalks.

Tei posted:

HELL, even for humans, having the name of roads encoded in the road so your car display in a hud the name of the road would be incredible helpfull. If that connect with the automatic navigation system and each road have a unique id, it would make the whole navigation systems more robust.

I think the problem with automatic cars will be thieves and vandalism. People tricking automatic cars to take a detour to a river, with the hilarious effect of 80 unoccupied automated cars forming a pile in a river after a pair of teenagers found a hilarious trick. Automatic cars seems supereasy to trick. If cars are programmed to stop after every "accident with possible wounded people", it will be trivial to do highway robbery. Force automatic cars to stop to rob them.

Ehhh, it's a common concern but I don't see it as being a realistic one. Like, first off, they will never make an AV that can't be overridden by a driver. The driver will always be able to take control if a situation seems wrong which means that the robot is only as susceptible as it's passenger.

As to hacking, that is another serious concern. Most AV manufacturers so far have no or limited capability for communication with the AI. Nobody has even considered implementing the capability for remote override and probably never will. The closest I've heard is talk about a way for police to shut down autonomous vehicles.

Tei posted:

But these are problems for the people of the future. We don't have to solve all the problems of the people of the future, only make sure they get to live and have cool poo poo to play. We are climbing a mountain and we can't see the valley on the other side of the mountain.
I mean, these are all problems that need to be solved before it's ever legal to have autonomous cars on the roads in any meaningful sense. I believe there are politicians pushing to have this very talk in upcoming infrastructure panels.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

boner confessor posted:

i dont see the point of this versus frozen meals, which are the superior way to introduce robotic processing to create cheap meals

The point of that is to introduce robotic processing to create quality meals - the Moley Robotics system was programmed by performing motion capture on elite professional chefs at work.

Tei posted:

Criminals have already done that with regular cars - it's now recommended that for a minor collision with no injuries or serious damage, you should proceed to a police station or populated area before stopping.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cockmaster posted:

The point of that is to introduce robotic processing to create quality meals - the Moley Robotics system was programmed by performing motion capture on elite professional chefs at work.

frozen meals aren't quality? pretty drat elitist. "this machine motion-captures the actions of professional chefs without capturing the intent or artistry, at only 10x the price" lol. some cargo cult poo poo right here, where current extremely efficient automated processes to create food aren't fancy enough but just hiring someone who knows how to cook, or learning to cook yourself, isn't feasible

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

boner confessor posted:

frozen meals aren't quality? pretty drat elitist. "this machine motion-captures the actions of professional chefs without capturing the intent or artistry, at only 10x the price" lol. some cargo cult poo poo right here, where current extremely efficient automated processes to create food aren't fancy enough but just hiring someone who knows how to cook, or learning to cook yourself, isn't feasible

And yet... that is how costco makes pizzas. At least in part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

BedBuglet posted:

Perfect conditions being the key words. Most of the robots have real issues with inclement weather.

Not for long.

• Locked thread