Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Well the revenge romcom seems exactly as generic as it appeared to be. It's not even good revenge, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

El Burbo posted:

Well the revenge romcom seems exactly as generic as it appeared to be. It's not even good revenge, drat

It's good

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Revenge-com seems to hit the right pandering points out of the gate for its first episode for me.

There's also something amusing about Makabe being self aware about the girls shipping him with the other male classmate.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've made a thread for LWA, by the way -- which will be streaming on Netflix January 9th!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Are they doing a simul?!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Urara Meirochou seems extremely cute. The premise is that the main character Chiya comes to a city where girls from around the country go to become uranaishi who divine fortunes, and becomes an apprentice uranaishi together with three other girls with the intention of becoming the greatest fortuneteller, an Urara. Well, that's the premise, but mostly they seem to just eat a lot.

How do you even get promoted as a fortune-teller, anyway?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

well you can't surprise them with it, that's for sure

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I liked the revenge show.

Akiba Strip I'm going to have to give a few more episodes before committing.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I read a bit of the revenge manga after watching the first episode (https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/masamune-kun-no-revenge-r7751), and I can conclude that I still probably won't like watching it that much. Ah well

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I read a bit of the revenge manga after watching the first episode (https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/masamune-kun-no-revenge-r7751), and I can conclude that I still probably won't like watching it that much. Ah well

any particular reasons?
first episode had a really nice aesthetic and i really like masamune as a character so far. aki will probably get better so my only worry is how well side characters are put to use.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I read the first chapter and the most recent chapter and he probably won't pick the maid so it's poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chumbler posted:

I read the first chapter and the most recent chapter and he probably won't pick the maid so it's poo poo.

Same, except you mean the class rep, not the maid

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

class rep gets my vote, but i'm under no illusion that he'll pick anyone other than aki.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Same, except you mean the class rep, not the maid

you have a good av

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

dogsicle posted:

any particular reasons?
first episode had a really nice aesthetic and i really like masamune as a character so far. aki will probably get better so my only worry is how well side characters are put to use.

Partly it comes down to taste, but I'm generally agreeing with what everyone else said. Watched the first episode and then skimmed the manga, and it's incredibly likely the mangaka is going to end it with Aki being the chosen girl. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, except it honestly feels like the MC syncs better with multiple other characters, rather than her, as the story is written.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Partly it comes down to taste, but I'm generally agreeing with what everyone else said. Watched the first episode and then skimmed the manga, and it's incredibly likely the mangaka is going to end it with Aki being the chosen girl. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, except it honestly feels like the MC syncs better with multiple other characters, rather than her, as the story is written.

ah, that harem problem. i don't watch them really at all to gauge my likely reaction, other than Toradora did the same to me and i still enjoyed it greatly. so i'll carry the show's torch, for now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'll rewatch Gankutsuo for the third time instead

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

you have a good av

I wish I had made the background transparent

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Because of his hand coming in at the left, I think a 1px border would be a better fit. I personally prefer transparent only when there's no more than one edge.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 6, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

dogsicle posted:

ah, that harem problem. i don't watch them really at all to gauge my likely reaction, other than Toradora did the same to me and i still enjoyed it greatly. so i'll carry the show's torch, for now.

Eh, some do it better than others. Readers are not necessarily always going to gravitate towards the lead girl as the character they enjoy most, so it's the author's job to make the winning girl be the most convincing ending for the MC, regardless of whom the reader would personally prefer. Toradora is one where it does it well. Another would be Ai Yori Aoshi, where one might prefer one of the other girls but, as far as Kaoru is concerned, Aoi is clearly the one. Masamune-kun is one where I don't think it was done particularly well, with me feeling Aki is probably going to win mainly because she's the female lead, rather the author making a strong case for it.

Still, the anime may do a better job at presenting it, or even just not get all the way through and leave an open ending. Or you might feel the storyline does present that relationship well even if faithfully adapted. Hard to tell from just one episode in, and there are plenty of enjoyable scenes regardless. Not trying to discourage watching, just trying to break down my thoughts on this.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It looks like the anime's gonna go far considering the OP spoils certain characters who show up in the far future.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Having just read the entire manga just now, I don't think the the story's even been presenting other romantic interests as options. Like, it never felt like a story about "who wins", it's a story about a guy getting over his stupid revenge plot while generic romcom hijinks happen around him. And then probably getting with the girl because that's the natural endpoint of him forgiving her. The only other even remotely serious "contender" has a subplot that is explicitly about how unhealthy all his behavior toward the lead girl (and by extension everyone else, and himself) is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I have never felt like Masamune's Revenge was a harem story. There are other girls there, but none of them are like significant to him as a potential romantic partner with the exception of one the manga nixes surprisingly fast (Although still leaves connections to). It is a story about Masamune's hangups on his own self image, reconciling his hatred of Aki, and other romcom shenanigans that all were the pretty fun to read.

Aki's groupies are poo poo though and I am not looking forward to their introduction into the show proper.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain Baal posted:

It is a story about Masamune's hangups on his own self image,

It's really quite interesting how terrified he is about people finding out about "the real Masamune" when the real Masamune is a guy who exercises a lot, studies a lot, and wants people to like him. Like, what would they even do with that information?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
rakugo shinjuu op is out, its like a bond song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGx7u3hMCOA

yeah, this is going to be a redemption story, where the younger generation learn from the older and rise above their mistakes

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Phobophilia posted:

yeah, this is going to be a redemption story, where the younger generation learn from the older and rise above their mistakes

:eyepop: This is a really cool OP, the visuals are super intriguing. I'm super hyped for season 2 now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Not before a whole bunch of tragedy happens first. That was pretty creepy and I love it!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Hey, was that an Evangelion riff at the end?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Clarste posted:

Having just read the entire manga just now, I don't think the the story's even been presenting other romantic interests as options. Like, it never felt like a story about "who wins", it's a story about a guy getting over his stupid revenge plot while generic romcom hijinks happen around him. And then probably getting with the girl because that's the natural endpoint of him forgiving her. The only other even remotely serious "contender" has a subplot that is explicitly about how unhealthy all his behavior toward the lead girl (and by extension everyone else, and himself) is.

I'll admit to having liked Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru. I'm hoping for a similar sort of vibe from Masamune-kun, ie. broken, crazy people doing their best to find their own thing in a generic rose-colored world. If Masamune can deliver that, it'll be a solid start to the year, though I know my opinion on each front is in a small minority.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 6, 2017

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
No like anyone was going to watch it (I hope), but Forest Fairy Five is the shittest poo poo. People put more effort into MikuMikuDance videos and they look better too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched 30 seconds and it's the first time I've ever seen a CGI show with framerate issues.
It looks like it was made in the same engine as Trine with bloom intensity turned up to 1000%

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I watched 30 seconds and it's the first time I've ever seen a CGI show with framerate issues.
It looks like it was made in the same engine as Trine with bloom intensity turned up to 1000%

I think the bloom setting used was "Nuclear Flash".

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Major Ricardo posted:

No like anyone was going to watch it (I hope), but Forest Fairy Five is the shittest poo poo. People put more effort into MikuMikuDance videos and they look better too.

I watched until the first conversation-ish part and had to turn it off.

Instead I watched Akibastrip and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. Will watch a few more episodes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turned Tanya off after five minutes, those faces were loving hideous

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Turned Tanya off after five minutes, those faces were loving hideous

Skimmed without subtitles, looks like that second PV was the entire first episode, lol.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Youji/Tanya Senki Gee I wonder how they'll handle the great fine character-defining art of the manga :downs: what a sad waste, might be one of the worst visual changes I've seen from manga to anime. Wouldn't put it past them to do the fanservice the manga never even thought about.

Here's hoping Demi-chan keeps its charm despite making the characters at least five years younger in its own conversion from still to animated.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Phobophilia posted:

This looks incredibly cool. I have no idea what it's about and had never heard of it, but I kinda wanna watch it now. Good job OP (meant in both ways)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hayashibara is still the best non-shocker.

Also, rakugo is really good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's for the second season, so you can start on the show now if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

MrLonghair posted:

Youji/Tanya Senki Gee I wonder how they'll handle the great fine character-defining art of the manga :downs: what a sad waste, might be one of the worst visual changes I've seen from manga to anime. Wouldn't put it past them to do the fanservice the manga never even thought about.

You know it's not based on the manga? There's an on-going novel series with 7 volumes out. They have their own illustrator, making the original designs.

Not to say they made that justice either.

• Locked thread