Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

you may die posted:

I'd like to see someone beat her non-lethally on extreme any other way.

Pretty sure you can tranq her but it's a massive pain in the rear end. I don't think you can CQC her because none of her sniping positions are in places you can reach from the ground.

One thing I love about that fight though was all the people getting upset that they couldn't recruit quiet after they murdered her by going lethal in that fight. They later on patched it so if you replayed the mission you could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Pretty sure you can tranq her but it's a massive pain in the rear end. I don't think you can CQC her because none of her sniping positions are in places you can reach from the ground.

One thing I love about that fight though was all the people getting upset that they couldn't recruit quiet after they murdered her by going lethal in that fight. They later on patched it so if you replayed the mission you could.

That reminds me of the bit in SWTOR where one of your party members is forced to betray you and you have the dark side option of killing them for it. Well, so many players couldn't deal with the fact that if they killed him, they couldn't keep using that party member, that the option to do so was patched out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Canemacar posted:

That reminds me of the bit in SWTOR where one of your party members is forced to betray you and you have the dark side option of killing them for it. Well, so many players couldn't deal with the fact that if they killed him, they couldn't keep using that party member, that the option to do so was patched out.

Well that's also basically the whole reason behind the elder scrolls games dropping the morrowind style kill everyone, break the game flow of things and moving onto the skyrim "everyone is immortal unless you do a quest that flips off their immortal flag" style. Because people would break the game and then complain about having to reload a save, or get upset that now they can't join a guild. So now everything can be done by everyone and there's zero way to mess up and the only major optional rewards quests give anymore is money or generic items so you can't possibly miss anything good.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

you can trip her up but she can't be combo'd. i spent way too much time sneaking up on her in active camo just to beat her that way.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

When Morrowind suggested I reload a save or continue in this doomed world I had created, you can be drat sure I continued. That game definitely made me feel like I had an impact on the world.

That feels like it would make a good option for those kinds of games - a 'destiny' mode where you're set on a path and can't alter or change the flow of events which will take place, or a 'chaos' mode where everything you do has the potential for negative impact and you deal with the consequences.

I suppose that's why Morrowind worked for me, you weren't definitely a chosen/special person, you just fit the bill of whatever prophecy concerned the powers that be.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Jan 5, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nuebot posted:

Just hearing about it almost makes me want to play the game, and I can really appreciate that they don't from watching videos alone. A lot of games would have made the leader a "crazy" guy who would rant about how much he loved fire and that burning people was the best. I have no clue how the game handles the rest of the factions, but the cleaners alone are pretty great from an observer point of view even.

The Cleaners are a highlight and the other groups don't match up that well, unfortunately. The other three main groups are fairly generic - unaffiliated rioters who are in for themselves, violent criminals who are using the outbreak as an opportunity to get revenge and do what they want (the game makes an explicit distinction between violent offenders and those who can be rehabilitated, rather than treating them as a singular group which pleasantly surprised me), and a private military contractor who has taken over the east side of the city. While attempts are made to make the latter two interesting they still rely on quite a few stereotypes without really playing with them like they do the Cleaners, so something is kind of lost.

The strength of the Division's story lays in its world building and the more believable human elements, I think. There's a ton of audio logs, background scenes and so on including a hugely diverse range of characters just...discussing life. Shooting the poo poo, trying to come out to their mother, dealing with racism, etc. It's almost a shame the game is a third person shooter as this would have been fantastic as a more character driven narrative.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Jan 5, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

you can definitely CQC her, it's very satisfying. The actress did a Let's Play and CQC'd her and there's a great clip of the moment her brain registers and tries to process the fact that she's wrestling a digital recreation of herself

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its possible* to CQC quiet but it can be a real pain in the rear end. Her AI (as well as other skull snipers) makes it so if she never sees you, so no white indicator shows up, she can't hear you. If you can manage to get behind her without her seeing you you can run all around her and hell even directly into her and she wont notice unless you get in her line of sight. The problem, namely in the extreme mode fight, is that she loves to randomly change positions and often in a way where she is looking right at you.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you can definitely CQC her, it's very satisfying. The actress did a Let's Play and CQC'd her and there's a great clip of the moment her brain registers and tries to process the fact that she's wrestling a digital recreation of herself

Please link this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Please link this.
Quiet fight starts here, the whole part is kind of adorable

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Well yeah, you can tranq, CQC, use smoke grenades. I said I'd like to see someone do it on Extreme.

edit: STUN grenades, gently caress

you may die has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Jan 7, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

The strength of the Division's story lays in its world building and the more believable human elements, I think. There's a ton of audio logs, background scenes and so on including a hugely diverse range of characters just...discussing life. Shooting the poo poo, trying to come out to their mother, dealing with racism, etc. It's almost a shame the game is a third person shooter as this would have been fantastic as a more character driven narrative.

I kind of like that it's in a third person shooter. There's one audio log series that has someone go from college kid seeing a new girl, to trying to survive, to a rioter that would not have worked nearly as well as making me uneasy if I hadn't greased like two or three hundred rioters as I got it.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

I had pretty much the exact same experience; I started playing it last week and I really haven't wanted to stop. The way the Lives quietly but essentially interlock is terrific. It's a beautifully-crafted game, full of texture and flavor, and the dialogue is funny and smart without coming off as trying too hard or impressed with itself — and there's a lot of it. And you can get a pet cat and bring the pet cat along on your adventures, so :kimchi:

Also, the music is great, and the Mt. Snowpeak theme sounds like a lost Michael Nyman track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNHBIyu4C9E

Yessss. My dog Waffle is the best adventuring buddy, even if does aggro out on boss critters and get beat down. Bless his little heart.
I started the Fishing Life and the fish hat is amazing. Such a charming game. I'm trying not to dork out at my friends about it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In Helldivers when you call in equipment it lands exactly where your thrown beacon lands, but when you call in reinforcements (basically resurrecting your teammates) the pods will land randomly in an area around the beacon. This means that if you call in reinforcements in the heat of battle there is a non-zero chance you will be wiped out by a falling drop pod.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

In Helldivers when you call in equipment it lands exactly where your thrown beacon lands, but when you call in reinforcements (basically resurrecting your teammates) the pods will land randomly in an area around the beacon. This means that if you call in reinforcements in the heat of battle there is a non-zero chance you will be wiped out by a falling drop pod.

The boys down in logistics claim and I quote "Guns and supplies are all well and good but you add in a few writhing sacks of unstable panicking meat and we just cannot compensate for the drift."

Meanwhile Dishonored continues to be the gift that keeps on giving.

http://i.imgur.com/cSAKa26.mp4

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Sad little thing I discovered by accident.

Watch Dogs 2 is a game with a fair amount of watching and a decent amount of dogs. Sometimes random civilians will be walking their friendly, petable dogs through the bay area. Sometimes there are casualties. What was surprising for me to find out is that if the dog owner happens to die but the dog doesn't, they actually gave the dog an AI package to lay down and cry by their broken, dead body.

Hang in there little fella.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
In GTA4, during the mission where you make the choice to kill that guy you've been looking for since the war, I held him at gunpoint for about ten seconds, decided he wasn't worth it, started to drive away from the airport, but then got pissed, turned around, and ran down his sorry rear end before he despawned. Turns out there's a unique line of dialogue for Roman if you do that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SevenSocks posted:

Watch Dogs 2 is a game with a fair amount of watching and a decent amount of dogs. Sometimes random civilians will be walking their friendly, petable dogs through the bay area. Sometimes there are casualties. What was surprising for me to find out is that if the dog owner happens to die but the dog doesn't, they actually gave the dog an AI package to lay down and cry by their broken, dead body.

Ahahahaha, that's amazing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SevenSocks posted:

I love the range of clothing you can pick for Marcus in Watch Dogs 2. Mine ran around San Francisco in an army-surplus bucket helmet with bike goggles on top.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

SevenSocks posted:

I'll drive a bus down a sidewalk in GTA without a thought but the first time I do this by accident in WD2 I'll be so sad.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

I'll drive a bus down a sidewalk in GTA without a thought but the first time I do this by accident in WD2 I'll be so sad.

As someone who watched Dante's Peak and only gave a poo poo when the dog was in peril, I feel you. I'd be more pissed at someone punching a dog in the face than if they punched me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I really like in FF15 is not only can you get some of Edgar's tools as weapons but they are actually decently useful. The bioblaster was great for Goblin crowd control and the Autocrossbow was good for straight damage even if it was a little slow.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SevenSocks posted:

So I told Dean to lay down on the street.. he actually did it the absolute madman hahahahahahaha!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kennel posted:

So I told Dean to lay down on the street.. he actually did it the absolute madman hahahahahahaha!

Note: Dean is the dog.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When Odin Sphere Leifthrasir came out everyone was praising it for updating the original's clunky stamina-based mechanics to that of a full-on brawler, but I thought that was all they updated. Nope, Vanillaware also added new map backgrounds, new animations for every character (including idle animations, I'm pretty sure), an entire skill system for more combo potential, and a huge inventory-system update to include item storage and stackable consumables. It's nuts.

But the best part is the wandering chef who you can summon on the field by ringing bells at rest points. He's a totally new NPC with unique dialogue for every major zone. The first place you can summon him at is a mountain in the middle of a blizzard and one possible greeting is something like, "Oh, thank goodness there's a customer this time! I keep thinking someone rang the bell and it turns out it's only the wind." :smith:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

SevenSocks posted:

What happens when the dog is hit, but the human is unhurt?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I would be shocked if idle animations were added in. I haven't played Odin Sphere but if I know anything about Vanillaware it's that they just can't resist making their characters... Pulsate, or whatever it is they do with their animation style

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glagha posted:

I would be shocked if idle animations were added in. I haven't played Odin Sphere but if I know anything about Vanillaware it's that they just can't resist making their characters... Pulsate, or whatever it is they do with their animation style

It's been a long time since I've played the original, but Gwendolyn has an idle where she lets a bird alight on her hand and I don't remember it from the PS2 version.

There are definitely new active animations, though. There's an entire new mechanic where you can release Phozons (to grow seeds and such) instead of just sucking them in, and every character has a unique stance for the release. Not to mention all the new skills.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Some people say there was a skill in previous OS to release phozons, but if I remember right that was just a burst of them, whereas in Leifthrasir, you can store the phozons and let them out or spend them on skills at your leisure.

It was seriously such an impressive rerelease to a game I already enjoyed despite it's flaws.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I really like in FF15 is not only can you get some of Edgar's tools as weapons but they are actually decently useful. The bioblaster was great for Goblin crowd control and the Autocrossbow was good for straight damage even if it was a little slow.

I want this game now

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

I want this game now

You have to power through some of the early story to get to the point where you can get them, but FF XV is pretty genuinely okay. I don't think it's the best FF by a margin, but it isn't 13 or the MMO or whatever, so there's that.

If you can, do yourself a favor when you get it and watch the anime and (if you feel like paying) the movie too. They flesh out the backstory REALLY well.

For content: Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna DLC. The message board in the game this time around is a little community, with occasional postings of snippits of data the AIs found after the world went to poo poo, and musings upon them. One of which starts postulating why humans were so preoccupied with cats. :3: gently caress, if humans never figured it out, they won't! It's such a nice worldbuilding to remind you that you're an AI, doing other AI things. And entirely, 100% skippable.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

DelphiAegis posted:

You have to power through some of the early story to get to the point where you can get them, but FF XV is pretty genuinely okay. I don't think it's the best FF by a margin, but it isn't 13 or the MMO or whatever, so there's that.

If you can, do yourself a favor when you get it and watch the anime and (if you feel like paying) the movie too. They flesh out the backstory REALLY well.

For content: Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna DLC. The message board in the game this time around is a little community, with occasional postings of snippits of data the AIs found after the world went to poo poo, and musings upon them. One of which starts postulating why humans were so preoccupied with cats. :3: gently caress, if humans never figured it out, they won't! It's such a nice worldbuilding to remind you that you're an AI, doing other AI things. And entirely, 100% skippable.

But the MMO is good?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

DelphiAegis posted:

Should I watch the anime/movie before or after I beat the game?

Vv sweet thx :cheers:

Cory Parsnipson has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Jan 7, 2017

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Should I watch the anime/movie before or after I beat the game?

Before you start playing, probably.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Aubergine Mage posted:

But the MMO is good?

The new MMO is good (although they did have to try twice). The old one is... well, it's an old MMO, you have to cut it some slack.

I'm hugely into FFXIV right now, it's probably the best straight-numbered Final Fantasy since X. I think my favorite part is just how much stuff from older Final Fantasies it includes and gives nods to, without being derivative. Sure there's stuff deliberately reminiscent of classic FF content, but they're both doing new things with them and calling on things that kinda get left by the wayside in the series. You've got Alexander as a giant robot made up of smaller robots, the Warring Triad as an actual boss fight, a Siren fight both clearly inspired by and totally unlike the one in FFV, the endgame of FFIII recreated as an actually-really-good series of endgame dungeons, and so on.

I love that I'm absolutely on the same page as this game, and yet it's still doing new things such that I'm excited to see where it goes. I haven't been immediately excited for new content in an MMO before, but they recently released a new trailer for what's coming in the next content patch and their track record is such that I'm really hyped to see what they do with Omega and Death Gaze. I would be really pessimistic about the series right now given that XV looks like 'Final Fantasy as made by and for people who don't like Final Fantasy' (note I haven't played it yet, I'm just going by facts like it being a totally different genre), but XIV is so totally made with that lineage in mind that it's putting that completely at ease.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

The new MMO is good (although they did have to try twice). The old one is... well, it's an old MMO, you have to cut it some slack.

I'm hugely into FFXIV right now, it's probably the best straight-numbered Final Fantasy since X. I think my favorite part is just how much stuff from older Final Fantasies it includes and gives nods to, without being derivative. Sure there's stuff deliberately reminiscent of classic FF content, but they're both doing new things with them and calling on things that kinda get left by the wayside in the series. You've got Alexander as a giant robot made up of smaller robots, the Warring Triad as an actual boss fight, a Siren fight both clearly inspired by and totally unlike the one in FFV, the endgame of FFIII recreated as an actually-really-good series of endgame dungeons, and so on.

I love that I'm absolutely on the same page as this game, and yet it's still doing new things such that I'm excited to see where it goes. I haven't been immediately excited for new content in an MMO before, but they recently released a new trailer for what's coming in the next content patch and their track record is such that I'm really hyped to see what they do with Omega and Death Gaze. I would be really pessimistic about the series right now given that XV looks like 'Final Fantasy as made by and for people who don't like Final Fantasy' (note I haven't played it yet, I'm just going by facts like it being a totally different genre), but XIV is so totally made with that lineage in mind that it's putting that completely at ease.

One of the raids is basically just a giant homage to FF3. It's really weird that square seems to have a massive love for 3, wasn't that the one almost no one liked? XIV is really fun, but it's kind of brought down by a really lovely community unless you're smart enough to play with goons and I don't want to pay for a sever transfer. :shrug:

EDIT: Somehow missed that you mentioned the raid, I am good at reading.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

One of the raids is basically just a giant homage to FF3. It's really weird that square seems to have a massive love for 3, wasn't that the one almost no one liked?

That was FF2. FF3 is the one no one remembers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I've heard a ton of people ranting about how bad the final dungeon in 3 was. Then when the remake came out, how bad it was.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Oxxidation posted:

XIV also has FFII references, albeit more obliquely.

Square doesn't seem tremendously fond of FFIII in comparison to others, because it doesn't actually appear as much as you'd expect. It introduced concepts that have carried through though, and as I recall the team behind the initial FFXIV included a good few people from the FFIII remake, which would explain why they had assets for stuff like the Crystal Tower raid series.

The closest thing to a Final Fantasy that Square loves but people outside of it don't is probably FFV. It's actually one of the more popular ones in Japan (it and FFVI basically swap places in those two markets, in Japan VI is about the level of cult classic FFV is internationally), but it's also where a lot of the major figures in modern Final Fantasy design got their start, so it's got a lot of goodwill internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

One of the raids is basically just a giant homage to FF3. It's really weird that square seems to have a massive love for 3, wasn't that the one almost no one liked? XIV is really fun, but it's kind of brought down by a really lovely community unless you're smart enough to play with goons and I don't want to pay for a sever transfer. :shrug:

EDIT: Somehow missed that you mentioned the raid, I am good at reading.

Yeah, I think 2 and 3 are the ones people don't seem to like. I'm the guy who isn't that down with ten but I can't say I had a bad time with two even though I couldn't really tell what I was doing throughout it.

Cleretic posted:

XIV also has FFII references, albeit more obliquely.

Square doesn't seem tremendously fond of FFIII in comparison to others, because it doesn't actually appear as much as you'd expect. It introduced concepts that have carried through though, and as I recall the team behind the initial FFXIV included a good few people from the FFIII remake, which would explain why they had assets for stuff like the Crystal Tower raid series.

The closest thing to a Final Fantasy that Square loves but people outside of it don't is probably FFV. It's actually one of the more popular ones in Japan (it and FFVI basically swap places in those two markets, in Japan VI is about the level of cult classic FFV is internationally), but it's also where a lot of the major figures in modern Final Fantasy design got their start, so it's got a lot of goodwill internally.

My opinion's probably skewed by the Fiesta that happens here every year, but I think people are pretty happy with 5 since the Job System in there is actually a ton of fun and challenging and stuff.