Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taima posted:

Sure, I actually bought two different ones just to see which was superior and this was the better one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013DXERB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon says I bought this one back in march and it indeed is pretty drat nice. The color ends up fading / wearing off where the magnet "locks" when you have it on but aside from that it's pretty good. Still looks ok nowadays. I can post some photos after work since I'm wearing the sports band right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I got a silver stainless watch. Shouldn't have to worry about color.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have this one, and actually paid more for it and it was worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016JWO0HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have silver real, silver fake and black fake, and I brought the black fake into the store and had them take out the real one and I swear to god I could not find a single difference. I have no idea what the gently caress you are paying for.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Taima posted:

Sure, I actually bought two different ones just to see which was superior and this was the better one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013DXERB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LorneReams posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016JWO0HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have silver real, silver fake and black fake, and I brought the black fake into the store and had them take out the real one and I swear to god I could not find a single difference. I have no idea what the gently caress you are paying for.
Cool. I have a real Apple Link band so I don't feel like spending big money on bands anymore. I'll grab one of these.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here's that band (in black) after 10 months of constant use.

bottom/what most see. You can notice some discoloration on the edge

Where the magnet latches on. It doesn't look back when there's no light reflecting against it but it's way more noticeable at an angle

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LorneReams posted:

The real black one is DLC coated and can scratch sapphire :v:

One difference I've read about (if everything else appears identical) is the outside of the magnetic clasp. On the real one the magnetic attraction is dulled enough that it doesn't really stick to much, while on the fakes it's like the other side of the magnet I guess. I don't think it'd be a huge deal for me but apparently it catches stuff regularly for some people on their desks or something.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I've just started lap swimming at my local pool, and the Workout app is pretty clever.

After you've completed your swim it'll tell you what stroke you were doing, based on accelerometer data.

Neat-o.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

japtor posted:

The real black one is DLC coated and can scratch sapphire :v:

One difference I've read about (if everything else appears identical) is the outside of the magnetic clasp. On the real one the magnetic attraction is dulled enough that it doesn't really stick to much, while on the fakes it's like the other side of the magnet I guess. I don't think it'd be a huge deal for me but apparently it catches stuff regularly for some people on their desks or something.

Right, the DLC coating is very awesome.

The magnet thing is a double-edged sword though. On the real milanese, as in the fake versions, the magnet eases over time. The fit becomes less reliable and you have to rejigger the clasp every so often. In that sense, if you want a perfectly functioning milanese and use it every day, you should understand that you will have to buy another one eventually.

The fake milanese loops often have a much stronger magnet. That carries its own issues, but 1) that means the magnet will be stronger for longer in its lifespan and 2) the fake ones are so cheap that even if the magnet failed at the same rate, you can buy another one at any time without a second thought.

That's the main reason I didn't spring for the DLC milanese. I am VERY on board with Apple's DLC tech, I have the space black stainless steel watch and consider it an absolute marvel of technology.

But I have a buddy who was one of the very first people to get the DLC milanese, as he is on the watch team and snagged one before they were even around for consumers. And guess what, his magnet is pretty hosed up. He's had it longer than anyone. I think that's a sign of things to come for other milanese users.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Taima posted:

But I have a buddy who was one of the very first people to get the DLC milanese, as he is on the watch team and snagged one before they were even around for consumers. And guess what, his magnet is pretty hosed up. He's had it longer than anyone. I think that's a sign of things to come for other milanese users.

Hmm, that's really discouraging. If I were to buy a real Milanese, I'd wish for it to last the lifetime on my wearing an Apple Watch, which I imagine will be multiple years of revisions to the watch hardware itself, and/or as long as it continues to offer its conveniences while expanding on those. I could deal with it aging, but the fitment eventually becoming untenable within 2 years is a total deal breaker.

I wonder if the magnet would hold up if it didn't slip due to tension? I've learned to arch my wrist around 90 degrees upwards when securing it for the optimal fit of "snug, but won't slip."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Huh that's interesting, I've had my regular stainless one since launch (so about a year and a half old now) and the magnet still seems about as solid as it's always been.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have a third party Milanese that I just wear occasionally and like it. The main thing to get used to though, is that because the magnet is decently strong, you'll suddenly attach to stuff you lean to. The one counter at work is apparently metal, so every time I lean on it when wearing the band, I suddenly jerk for a second because my drat watch band is trying to attach to the counter.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

japtor posted:

Huh that's interesting, I've had my regular stainless one since launch (so about a year and a half old now) and the magnet still seems about as solid as it's always been.

Yeah, I do want to be clear that one case does not make it a "thing". I can only report on what I've seen.

Out of curiosity, how often do you use the watch? I'm not sure if the magnet's strength is related to its usage, but he uses his black milanese 98% of the time and he wears it all day and some of the evening, which is a pretty extreme amount of usage over time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Taima posted:

Yeah, I do want to be clear that one case does not make it a "thing". I can only report on what I've seen.

Out of curiosity, how often do you use the watch? I'm not sure if the magnet's strength is related to its usage, but he uses his black milanese 98% of the time and he wears it all day and some of the evening, which is a pretty extreme amount of usage over time.
Yeah I was gonna mention that actually cause it's not my primary band. I do keep it wadded up but I don't think that matters since it's static in that state. I don't know the magical properties of magnets*, but I'm thinking it's more just the little rubber gasket wearing down over time rather than the magnet itself, since it's always going through at least some slippage and friction on it while being worn. The magnet keeps the clasp attached but I'm guessing the rubber is what provides more grip to prevent slippage.

*Do natural magnets even wear out? I think they can under extreme conditions but I thought they weren't like temporarily magnetized/charged metals that just lose it over time.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Is Nomad leather band still the leather recommend band of choice?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I like the Apple classic buckle but if money is a concern then it's hard to justify at like $60 vs $150 or whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The classic buckle's leather is trash and you can get better off Etsy for half the price.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's cool and you're welcome to your opinion. The leather is quite good imo, especially now in gen 3 of the band.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What does that mean gen 3? They've released three versions? To get leather right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taima posted:

That's cool and you're welcome to your opinion. The leather is quite good imo, especially now in gen 3 of the band.

I have one. It's bad. It would be fine on something for $20 on Amazon, but not $150 when you can get nice Horween straps for under $100 without much effort.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

What does that mean gen 3? They've released three versions? To get leather right?

There have been at least 2x kinds of leather and they have changed the styling 3x times.

Endless Mike posted:

I have one. It's bad. It would be fine on something for $20 on Amazon, but not $150 when you can get nice Horween straps for under $100 without much effort.

I find the new leather to be fine. I have Horween products including a gorgeous shell wallet, I'm not new to nice leather.

In any case I believe that people should follow their hearts on this very complex and important matter.

Taima fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 8, 2017

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That seems really lovely if you bought an older version.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That seems really lovely if you bought an older version.

They should never improve their product and keep the dated design and inferior material. Now excuse me, I have to go to the store and it takes about 10 minutes to crank the engine on my Ford Model T.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I guess I just didn't realize they updated bands like that.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

I guess I just didn't realize they updated bands like that.

Neither. Makes me feel better about buying third party.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Neither. Makes me feel better about buying third party.

Really, of all things it's this that makes you feel better about buying third party? The knowledge that Apple sometimes improves their watch bands?

Don't get me wrong, most people should buy third party bands... but that logic makes absolutely no sense. People are so weird about economics.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Taima posted:

Really, of all things it's this that makes you feel better about buying third party? The knowledge that Apple sometimes improves their watch bands?

Don't get me wrong, most people should buy third party bands... but that logic makes absolutely no sense. People are so weird about economics.

It's one of many things that makes me feel better buddy. I would have been a bit cut if I'd bought a pricy band last year and it got a stealth update though.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Coq au Nandos posted:

It's one of many things that makes me feel better buddy. I would have been a bit cut if I'd bought a pricy band last year and it got a stealth update though.

"I hate when companies improve things, I'm a bitch idiot"

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

"I hate when companies improve things, I'm a bitch idiot"

gently caress, maybe I am a bitch idiot.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I don't mind updates but Apple updates are usually announced. Stealth updates are shady imo. Rubs me the wrong way.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If they think it's an inferior band replace it for the customers that supported you. I don't think this is equivalent to yearly phone refreshes.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Hmmm possible they improved as time went on and stand by a product they made previously wile also being aware that cow skin and time marches forward????

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are you happy with the product you purchased? If so, what is the problem? If not, why did you keep it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

If they think it's an inferior band replace it for the customers that supported you. I don't think this is equivalent to yearly phone refreshes.

This is nuts.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You'd be surprised how many products are "secretly" updated in between updates.

I used to work at an auto supplier and the car companies were always pushing for little cost savings. A few less wires here and there, a little less aluminum, and you've got a 2016 Chevy that is cheaper to make than the one you launched 3 Months ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Even Apple will just launch an updated MacBook or whatever with a slightly faster processor or whatever without making a big deal of it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I can't believe this is an issue. I think people just want something to bitch about. If they kept the band the same this whole time you would be bitching about them never improving.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Hey relax I can have an opinion.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

your opinion is kind of dumb tho

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, for sure. And it's wrong and sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You sure can, Archie Bunker.

• Locked thread