Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

melon cat posted:

Does anyone know how to achieve this effect in After Effects CC?

The way that connecting line follows the circle outline, while the circle outline tracks the boxer's hand. Neat effect, but I'm not quite sure how to get that connecting line to follow a specific target. Any advice on how to do this?

Many ways you can do it, the simplest off the top of my head (assuming it's a simple solid line) is to use the beam effect and link the start position to the moving element (in this case the circle or a null) and the end position to whatever part of the body you've tracked. Make sure completion is set to 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

melon cat posted:

Does anyone know how to achieve this effect in After Effects CC?

The way that connecting line follows the circle outline, while the circle outline tracks the boxer's hand. Neat effect, but I'm not quite sure how to get that connecting line to follow a specific target. Any advice on how to do this?

There's quite a lot of different ways you could achieve this in AE but the easiest, especially for quick cuts that don't require actual tracking (ie can be done quickly by hand) is going to be the beam effect. You can animate the start and end points to get the desired effect.

Or check out video copilot's free plugin "saber" which will get you that effect plus a whole lot more.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So I just updated to cc 2017 and the feature I was sure would finally have to be there isn't.

Is there seriously still no way to maintain your playhead position when moving from a nested sequence up to the master? Like you can in after effects pre-comps (or basically any other piece of software, ever). Really hoping this has been added and I'm just not able to find the shortcut. Having to use markers at the moment which is messy and inefficient.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Does anyone use Blender's video editor? The timing in the output is different from what I'm seeing in the preview window, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. For example, one video track begins earlier in the rendered video than it should.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What would be a practical/fast way to capture clips in HD from DVD and Blu-Ray if you just need a few seconds from a lot of sources?

Ideally, I'd love a way that's similar to capturing from tape where I can just skip to the part I need, record, then stop.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Get a 30 day trial version of anydvd or something and just open the discs in premiere and transcode the parts you need

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
Whats the best place to start to learn after effects from scratch? I've made about a dozen videos on youtube for fun about video game bullshit and actually quite enjoy it, got a few hundred subs now. I'd really love to step up the quality and add some cool stuff to my videos. I'm keen to slog through a few dozen hours of tutorials if its the right source, willing to pay too if it comes to that. Any ideas on whats the best resource? thanks

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Whats the best place to start to learn after effects from scratch? I've made about a dozen videos on youtube for fun about video game bullshit and actually quite enjoy it, got a few hundred subs now. I'd really love to step up the quality and add some cool stuff to my videos. I'm keen to slog through a few dozen hours of tutorials if its the right source, willing to pay too if it comes to that. Any ideas on whats the best resource? thanks

Pluralsight (formerly Digital Tutors) and Lynda are your best paid sources I believe.
https://www.pluralsight.com/browse/creative-professional
and
http://www.lynda.com

Adobe themselves have some great tutorials:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/tutorials.html

And VideoCoPilot for when you want to really get into some fun stuff
http://www.videocopilot.net/

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Hurp Durp Master posted:

You don't have to learn a million things at once. Just wait until you want to do a specific thing and find a tutorial that teaches you how to do it. Eventually you'll learn a lot of different stuff.

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015
Bit fun i had mashing up a classic painting in Hitfilm , Crazytalk and DPAnimationm maker :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuuvoHFjhyQ

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Is there a way to work with subtitles in Premiere Pro? I'm working on an edit of an interview in a foreign language that I myself am not completely familiar with. So I was thinking of just translating the whole thing, make rough subtitles and then import the subtitles into Premiere Pro. I then overlay the subtitles on the video, make my edit and presto, the subtitles are edited and still in synch as well. This way I can avoid having remake and resynch the translation to every draft I make.

So far, I can import the subtitles if they've been converted to .SCC, but I feel like there's some kind time synchronization issue there. Not to mention I lose the styling which is important as there are three people speaking in it and it will be used in an installation that won't always have audio playing.

EDIT: Oops, .SRT only supports rudimentary styling methods so I will lose the styles I applied in Aegisub

EDIT2: And after a day of frustration, I finally managed to successfully import an .SRT file into Premiere Pro! Just had to make sure the unreferenced lines were all deleted before importing.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 4, 2016

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fragrag posted:

Is there a way to work with subtitles in Premiere Pro? I'm working on an edit of an interview in a foreign language that I myself am not completely familiar with. So I was thinking of just translating the whole thing, make rough subtitles and then import the subtitles into Premiere Pro. I then overlay the subtitles on the video, make my edit and presto, the subtitles are edited and still in synch as well. This way I can avoid having remake and resynch the translation to every draft I make.

So far, I can import the subtitles if they've been converted to .SCC, but I feel like there's some kind time synchronization issue there. Not to mention I lose the styling which is important as there are three people speaking in it and it will be used in an installation that won't always have audio playing.

EDIT: Oops, .SRT only supports rudimentary styling methods so I will lose the styles I applied in Aegisub

EDIT2: And after a day of frustration, I finally managed to successfully import an .SRT file into Premiere Pro! Just had to make sure the unreferenced lines were all deleted before importing.
I've never known how to do subtitles/closed-caption but wanted to. I'm going to check into this SRT stuff.

Unrelated transition, after years of researching movies and editing and software and cameras, I watched my two sons (12 and 14) churn out over 5 movies this year. Their most recent one is a sequel, which blows my mind. I've been able to live vicariously through their efforts, acting as location scout, extra, stunt driver, as well as pushing the 14 yr old into learning about directing and cinematography; a lot of that in part to this very fine thread.

Here's the latest one. The first half was shot with a Nikon point-and-shoot camera, the second half with a Canon EOS 5? He uses Final Cut Pro, despite having Adobe CC. This is the first movie that they've taken stabs at color correction / treatments, fake blood/special effects, (that's ketchup), storyboards, blocking and fast editing, (his favorite director is Edgar Wright).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVquhey-WY

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 6, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Every time I'm working on a new video I find a new thing to piss me off.

I'm trying to edit MKVs, which you can't do in Premiere Pro, so you have to convert them to MP4s. Everywhere says to do that with VLC. When I convert them, they play fine in VLC, but when I import them into Premiere they have a big green line at the bottom of them. Is there anything I can do to fix this besides just zooming in on them? I guess I could just make a black bar over them, but I'd rather it not have that at all.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Are you on Mac? If so, handbrake should do it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are you on Mac? If so, handbrake should do it.

Nah, PC

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

In that case, Handbrake should do it...

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yup, Handbrake seems to have done it. Thanks, guys!

Woop, oh wait. The free version only let's you convert 1/3 of the video length.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Erm, what? It's a free app :confused:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The one I downloaded said it was a trial and I needed to register, and it looked like the only way to register was to buy it. I could have maybe downloaded a trial for the premium version by accident or something.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Handbrake is free, there is no trial version.

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Unmature posted:

The one I downloaded said it was a trial and I needed to register, and it looked like the only way to register was to buy it. I could have maybe downloaded a trial for the premium version by accident or something.

Please make sure you downloaded it from a legit place like 1st AD posted and not somewhere that rebundled it and oh god you're likely infected with malware/adware/viruses/botware(istthatevenathing)/ and hepatitis C

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BonoMan posted:

hepatitis C

That was from a different thing, but did coincidentally involve a handbrake.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Unmature posted:

That was from a different thing, but did coincidentally involve a handbrake.

noice

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

thehustler posted:

In that case, Handbrake should do it...

Lol, forgot about that.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Hey Video editing thread. We moved out to the west coast this year and wanted to send something back home to east coast friends.

So we made our first travel video. Set it to music we liked. Neither has ever really done something like this from a personal perspective before. My wife has some digital media chops, and while we lucked into some good footage i think her experience cutting packages shows through.

Here is the link, it's only 1:20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxUDqpF-Uw

Shot in 1080 on an unhoused Hero5 w/ floating selfie stick.

Cut in Adobe Premier. YouTube told me it's ok to use "Sleep on the Floor" since it's personal and the Lumineers get to play ads on it - which seems fair.

Would love critique. Cut short for the new 1 minute Instagram format. We only flipped the footage in reasonable time because i took a week off for the trip and had free time. It's exhausting :)

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 18, 2016

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I like it, well done! I'm definitely not an expert so feel free to ignore me, but a couple of tips that might help (or not):

1) I noticed a few blurry patches from water on the lens (particularly the shot of your wife jumping in from the kayak). If that's not the look you're going for and you want to stop water droplets from ruining your above-water shots, lick your lens housing just before dunking it in the water. Yeah it's a bit gross, but it's the same principle as rubbing saliva on your snorkel mask and works just as well. Note that if the water's really salty you'll probably need to do it before every shot.

2) Are you guys doing any white-balancing or colour grading? It's really easy to do in Premiere Pro, and I'd recommend checking out a few youtube tutorials on how to do it. It makes such a huge difference to the final product, as I tend to find my Hero4 Silver captures very muted colours, and it's not until 125% saturation or so that it actually starts to look "accurate" again (though I'm mostly filming in bright tropical areas).

You're definitely right about it being exhausting though! Even just footage management while you're on holidays can be a pain in the backside.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Awesome, thank you!

Those are great. I use a no fog solution on my mask but totally didn't think about using that on the camera. Or spit. Blurry not intentional for sure.

I did a little un-green on the water shots - but I didn't do white balancing, I will absolutely check out the tutorials.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi folks, I've got a problem with clip markers in Avid. We've got existing sequences that have been set up "just so" to the director's liking and at the moment I'm adding clip markers to the original clips. However, they're not showing up in the sequence. If I create a new sequence they do, but the old one is not updating with the clip markers. Anyone know why this is and how to fix it? I don't want to add markers to the timeline itself because then the markers aren't linked to the actual clip.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 22, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I ran into the same problem and asked a mate who does AVID teaching for a living. It appears that it's the way of the beast, in that AVID doesn't carry over markers in a persistent state like we are used to in FCP or Premiere.

From what I've been told markers when put into a clip when they get moved into sequences the markers inherit a different set of properties and a new TC value, the timeline's.

So they've converted from a clip marker to a timeline marker regardless of the fact.

The only solution I can suss out off the top of my head is by doing a match frame/reverse match which isn't really tidy and you'll have to keep an eye on what track you're on. But swapping markers across a track is fairly simple.

One potential solution was seeing if a linked file with sideloaded metadata could work, you'd have to log everything via another program.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 22, 2016

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That's good to know for future reference, thanks. Unfortunately this is a very particular way the guy wants things done. Timeline markers it'll have to be.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

You can also create spanned markers in the timeline (mark your I/O and make a marker with ALT-Marker) which is nice and handy.
Clips can do it as well. But spanned markers can't get copied.

One method people use is have one timeline track that's dedicated to markers that won't get touched by any clips.

Edit:
To make things more annoying, you can copy and paste markers from the timeline back into the source, but can't copy from source back into timeline.

You have to click on the marker in the marker window, then click the source/timeline window, then click back into the marker window.

Further edit:
It seems versions above 8.5 allows markers to be copied from the source to the timeline, however it's woefully inaccurate, even on a 1:1 timecode match it shoves the marker off target dramatically.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 26, 2016

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
If I switch from OSX to Windows, will the gamma-shift problem go away? That is, if I export an h264 mp4 in windows, will it actually look like it does in the editing program, or will it look super different like it does on a mac?

I can't deal with this poo poo anymore, I'm spending way too many hours doing blind adjustments and exporting again and again trying to get it right.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I'll assume you're talking about the Quicktime player contrast shift issue.
It's a YUV to RGB conversion that no one really knows why it's done or how to shut it off in the Qucktime player. It's also hampered by things like After Effects exporting out a slightly different conversion so anything in h.264 tends to get a washed out look.

It's across both OS so shifting to Windows won't fix it.

One quick fix is that you export out as a Quicktime animation as opposed to H.264.

This blog has a run down on what the hell is going on and ways to fix it. Setting up VLC to properly show the intended color space is one way to go.

Then on top of all that you have monitor calibration or things like your graphics card drivers shifting colour settings around. There's no universal "default" that exists on any computer that hasn't been calibrated to the correct settings.

Also on a similar note.
Found a LUT to help deal with YouTube's colorspace dickery. It darkens your video so when YouTube converts and brightens it doesn't look weird.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Also never ever use QuickTime ever.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Wow thanks for the tips! I'm mainly trying to get stuff to look correct when uploaded to youtube, since most of the videos I deliver are published through that. On one video that was difficult to get right (lovely face lighting in the footage) I ended up uploading 30 different tests to trying to get it right, it's maddening.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I'm editing a public access show for a friend and the footage is a little hosed. It's a 3 camera set-up that was edited live, so the file I have already has the cuts baked in. The issue is the exposure and colors are inconsistent between each camera. Does Premiere have a tool that can scan through the file and splice where it thinks the cuts are so i don't have to do it by hand?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Thoogsby posted:

I'm editing a public access show for a friend and the footage is a little hosed. It's a 3 camera set-up that was edited live, so the file I have already has the cuts baked in. The issue is the exposure and colors are inconsistent between each camera. Does Premiere have a tool that can scan through the file and splice where it thinks the cuts are so i don't have to do it by hand?

I don't think Premiere can but Speedgrade does if you have the creative suit. Alternatively, if you're just color correcting DaVinci Resolve can do it and is free.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Thoogsby posted:

Digital Rebellion's Pro Maintenance Tools has a program that will do this called "Edit Detector". There might be a free trial or something you can take advantage of for this one project.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't think Premiere can but Speedgrade does if you have the creative suit. Alternatively, if you're just color correcting DaVinci Resolve can do it and is free.

I've got Resolve. Is it just like a match-color function?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Thoogsby posted:

I've got Resolve. Is it just like a match-color function?

It's called Scene Cut Detection, I haven't used it much but this should give you a good run down:
https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/speed-color-workflow-using-scene-cut-detection/
Once everything is spliced you can just copy your color correction to the related clips easily.

e: that guide makes it look more complicated than it is, they're really just going into detail as to how it works.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 6, 2017