Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Couple of days old, but Tom Herman has announced his full staff at Texas.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-Tom-Herman-completes-Texas-staff-for-2017

I really hope Todd Orlando is good and Beck doesn't turn out to be a wet fart. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Really disappointing to have the Row Your Boat era end this way.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Best of luck with all that "have an elite day" speak when dealing with a bunch of players who are threatening to mutiny over a coaching change and already tried once in defense of gang rapists.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mutinies are incredibly on-brand for the boat team

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

R.D. Mangles posted:

mutinies are incredibly on-brand for the boat team

:lol: Perfect

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

buddhanc posted:

Me and Jeff Traylor were doing curls and abs next to each other for 30 minutes this morning. Cool dude.

Relevant because he still needs a job somewhere because he's an amazing recruiter.

E- he told me how awesome Charlie was and how they all thought the 4th year would've been fantastic with all the talent.

Jeff Traylor is rad. I want him and his dope spread triple-option poo poo to do things in college. Did he say anything at all about Herman? His own future?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
the fact that Jeff Traylor was convinced a turnaround was imminently forthcoming tells me he is, in fact, not rad

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Couple of days old, but Tom Herman has announced his full staff at Texas.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-Tom-Herman-completes-Texas-staff-for-2017

I really hope Todd Orlando is good and Beck doesn't turn out to be a wet fart. :ohdear:

Orlando is great.

Prepare for Beck to make you be really upset when you watch your QBs try to make reads though. Also, I hope for your sake that your QB's arm tech is good, because Beck will not help you out one iota with that.

Stan Drayton was the guy who recruited Elliott and Mike Weber to OSU and will be great for you guys.

Mehringer was an OSU GA who worked under Herman then ran Rutgers "Offense" last year and is now back under his mentor in Herman.

I think your opinion of that staff depends on how you view what Houston did the last two years. If you like their schemes, that's probably what's getting run.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Can't believe Minnesota went after the guy who went undefeated, except for losing to Wisconsin.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RIP WMU football, you were too beautiful for this world.

At least I went to the Cotton Bowl and it was a ton of fun.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

DJExile posted:

The advantage in the B1G west is that you have 2 all-but-guaranteed conference wins every year in Purdue and Illinois.

It'll take time to rebuild the program from scratch, but Purdue did hire a good coach. IMO, the Big Ten West has potential to be more balanced top-to-bottom than the East, which is front-loaded. Wisconsin was the 4th best team in the conference.

I wonder how long it will go before the Delany shuffles the division deck. It's possible that as long as the playoffs allow 4 teams that power will be consolidated in the east to ensure the greatest chance of either Ohio State or Michigan getting in.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Kim Jong Il posted:

I wouldn't mind this, but actually he said gently caress Minnesota they're dead to him.

Rutgers continues its quest to hire any coach with Iowa ties in bringing in Lester Erb, who coached all of those Iowa RBs who were pretty solid and then exploded.

BTW I will die on this hill, Fleck is a very risky hire. There's a decent chance all of his success has been due to outrecruiting the rest of the MAC. His OC is the worst of all time.

Probably 2nd worse. Whoever Rutgers has last year was probably the worst.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Thermos H Christ posted:

Jeff Traylor is rad. I want him and his dope spread triple-option poo poo to do things in college. Did he say anything at all about Herman? His own future?

He just said, "Tom is gonna do a great job." Sounded sincere, but you could tell he was bummed. He's got a real Texas twang in his voice too. He's also pretty drat tall.

I didn't want to ask him about his future or anything, just a brief conversation. I was still in the middle of my workout.

E- I'm glad we picked up Drayton, we needed an ace recruiter to replace Traylor.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

it's official

FB Scoops posted:

PJ Fleck: Western Michigan has confirmed Fleck’s departure for Minnesota. He’ll owe the Broncos a $600,000 buyout, according to contract details obtained by USA Today’s Steve Berkowitz.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Randy Shannon promoted to UF DC.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

LeeMajors posted:

Guess it's a good thing you don't play that many spread teams huh.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

So i don't follow college all that closely, is there even a rumor mill for the WMU job, or are we far enough down the totem pole we are just going to be picking at scraps like we did before fleck.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So i don't follow college all that closely, is there even a rumor mill for the WMU job, or are we far enough down the totem pole we are just going to be picking at scraps like we did before fleck.

Pretty sure it's the latter

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dilber posted:

Guess it's a good thing you don't play that many spread teams huh.

Well he was always great w NFL talent so it'll be fine. I doubt he will be able to continue carrying a horrible O though.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

It seems like only yesterday that he was butthurt about Meyer scoring too much on Miami.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

Probably 2nd worse. Whoever Rutgers has last year was probably the worst.

No, Ciarrocca was absolutely the worst, much worse than Mehringer. Mehringer is hard to evaluate because they were trying to force a scheme they didn't have the personnel for. Ciarrocca is the most unqualified OC in FBS history.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

LeeMajors posted:

Well he was always great w NFL talent so it'll be fine. I doubt he will be able to continue carrying a horrible O though.

He will be great at shutting down pro style offenses. You are going to learn the name of every Tight end you play, because he will look like a first rounder.

As much as I make fun of him, I like the dude but if he hasn't learned how to handle the spread its going to be a long year for you.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
E: Fleck's contract is being reported as $3.5M/year for five years

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Well Bruce Feldman spitballed some names onto Twitter because that's what he does, but his basis for them is usually kinda weak

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/817376717593608193

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 6, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's the MAC, basically you're going to get 1 of 3 things:

1: Up-and-coming FCS head coach
2: Promotion from within, maybe one of Fleck's coordinators if he doesn't go with him to Minnesota
3: Coordinator from mid-level P5 team

The odds of it being a flashy hire are basically zero, but there are some good under-the-radar candidates out there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dilber posted:

He will be great at shutting down pro style offenses. You are going to learn the name of every Tight end you play, because he will look like a first rounder.

As much as I make fun of him, I like the dude but if he hasn't learned how to handle the spread its going to be a long year for you.

If its that bad the staff won't be around for more than a year or two so gently caress it. drat the torpedoes :black101:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
San Jose State just hired away an assistant WR coach from Texas... to be their offensive coordinator. That's quite the promotion.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

E: Fleck's contract is being reported as $3.5M/year for five years

Well Bruce Feldman spitballed some names onto Twitter because that's what he does, but his basis for them is usually kinda weak

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/817376717593608193

Thanks, i know our general position and issues getting a coach, but having some names to look for is nice, even if its pure speculation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wake Forest is apparently targeting Arkansas DC Robb Smith to be their new DC.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
So is Claeys the frontrunner for Douche of the Year?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

Art Briles

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

90s QBs! Get yer 90s QBs here!

quote:

Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke is interviewing for a spot on Tennessee’s staff, according to John Brice of Tennessee’s 247 site. The former director of football at IMG Academy, Weinke spent the past two seasons with the Los Angeles Rams. Brice adds Butch Jones is also looking to add former Miami quarterback Ken Dorsey to his staff as well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DJExile posted:

Art Briles

He won last year, or at least Baylor in general won. Its for new offenses, otherwise we would be voting for Penn St./Paterno for eternity.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

swickles posted:

Does Joe Mixon qualify as this year?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Korranus posted:

Does Joe Mixon qualify as this year?

He does, but you inevitably get the douche vs. evil arguments which is why I lean towards Claeys. He didn't actually commit a crime, but decided to cape up for the players.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

He won last year, or at least Baylor in general won. Its for new offenses, otherwise we would be voting for Penn St./Paterno for eternity.

ah, nevermind then

swickles posted:

He does, but you inevitably get the douche vs. evil arguments which is why I lean towards Claeys. He didn't actually commit a crime, but decided to cape up for the players.

fair point. I'd give it to Claeys then.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

While true Briles redemption tour was this year and every bit as slimy as one of those things can get. Also wasn't the thing where he was going to meet one of the victims and ended up snubbing her this year?

The problem with putting him in is getting people to remember that it's just single year douchiness you're voting on.

e: Oh, if you're talking who should win then yeah probably not Briles.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Keep in mind Briles has a lawsuit pending against Baylor, which will hopefully bring everything to light. I feel he isn't going forth with this unless he comes out looking better than Baylor.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here lies Greg Davis, he never got a first down.

https://twitter.com/MarkEmmert/status/817466293976698881

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thoguh posted:

Here lies Greg Davis, he never got a first down.

https://twitter.com/MarkEmmert/status/817466293976698881

somewhere MV has the biggest boner in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

oh my god, houston hired Mark Dnofrio as Defensive coordinator.

• Locked thread