Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

You mean in the door, right?

Yeah inside the door for noise insulation so the stone doesn't get rattled and fall out, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I'm sure they'll come by with 400 pounds of mortar concrete sometime between now and my death.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Common Brushtail Possum.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the shower again.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kid sinister posted:

It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the shower again.

If you had a tankless water heater at the shower, this might make sense?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I am ashamed to admit that I did this once, although it was with a bathtub faucet, so it mostly drained.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

baquerd posted:

If you had a tankless water heater at the shower, this might make sense?

How?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You'd never have to adjust the temperature once it's set correctly? I can also kind of see the purpose in being able to turn on the shower without reaching into the water stream. But on a closer look, I now see the toggle buttons, which, uh, yeah...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Every tankless system I've used is super jumpy with the temp. Hot hot hot TWO SECONDS OF ICE hot hot hot

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also I like to increase the temp as I acclimate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

Eww.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Every tankless system I've used is super jumpy with the temp. Hot hot hot TWO SECONDS OF ICE hot hot hot

That shouldn't be happening with mixing valves installed and calibrated at the shower/tub. What gives?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NancyPants posted:

That shouldn't be happening with mixing valves installed and calibrated at the shower/tub. What gives?

Older (like, 10+ years) tankless systems often sucked. New ones are way way better.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I can't figure out if they jammed something in the box to mount that towel holder end to, or if that switch is just free floating without a box.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
it would have taken slightly less effort to shorten the curtain pole.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
And even less effort to mount it slightly higher or lower.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

This is the pro way to shower. If you're not flaying your skin via hot water by the time you exit a shower (assuming it's not summer time) then you're doing something wrong.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

How do you know you're clean unless you look like a lobster?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If your shower doesn't meet Section 6 of the NSF/ANSI Standard for Residential Equipment for soil removal and sanitization efficacy, why even bother showering?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
As someone who gets annoyed by a 2" gap between a facade and the ground, these columns make me want to punch someone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TerminalSaint posted:

As someone who gets annoyed by a 2" gap between a facade and the ground, these columns make me want to punch someone.

Huh, they put siding on the chimney. How odd.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Overhanging facade is a huge trigger for me. Yes let's make a big nice thick looking brick or stone support but have it stop a loving foot short at the foundation just hanging in space. It looks so awful but it's extremely common.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

TerminalSaint posted:

Whyyyyyyyy

Was that 3 feet of stone too expensive? Just run it to the grouuuund. :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bribe the surveyor.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

Whyyyyyyyy

Was that 3 feet of stone too expensive? Just run it to the grouuuund. :argh:

Or at least fake-out some kind of pediment for them to stand on so there's no overhang.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Overhanging facade is a huge trigger for me.

You would love the townhouses down the street from me.

I'd take a picture but the offending features are covered in snow right now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

saw this browsing some houses today

something tells me this bedroom wasn't permitted

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

FCKGW posted:

saw this browsing some houses today

something tells me this bedroom wasn't permitted

Explain?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sorry, that green box is to control an outdoor irrigation system. usually those things are in the garage or someplace not inside the house.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FCKGW posted:

sorry, that green box is to control an outdoor irrigation system. usually those things are in the garage or someplace not inside the house.

Ah, I thought it was the floor-length curtains on the small window, and wondered what permitting was involved.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ah, I thought it was the floor-length curtains on the small window, and wondered what permitting was involved.

Something something fashion police. Those curtains are hideous.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

there wolf posted:

Something something fashion police. Those curtains are hideous.

They'd be slightly better without that "old lady" valence at the top, but yeah, still not great. That orange doesn't go with vomit-green walls.

Edit: Let's add some real content:
Made a Hidden secret staircase to access my dungeon Cinema

A big hole who's edge extends in front of a doorway? Shouldn't be an issue. You'll see why later.

Who needs floor joists?

When it comes to ladders, you want the oldest wood you can find.

See what I mean? A slapped-together plywood box held together with cheap shelving brackets solves that pesky "hole in the floor" problem.

Don't be alarmed that the ladder is barely held in place, because the ladder is so close to the opposite wall, that even if came loose and fell backwards, you'd only go about a foot.

See?
The ladder is actually a clever design to make sure that No Fat Chicks can enter his cool rape dungeon basement cinema.

I briefly looked at his original album from when he first built the basement cinema (http://imgur.com/a/BE9ra), and by itself it doesn't look that bad (but I'm certainly no contractor or inspector)? It's converted from a glorified crawlspace that is accessed by a sort of storage shed from outside the home, so I guess the biggest concern would be moisture, but I don't think he altered anything structurally.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 6, 2017

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks like those wood joists aren't directly structural, based on the first album, because there are steel joists that are actually supporting the wood joists and transferring the load to the walls. So cutting off the end of a joist is probably ok, because he's not severing a connection that transfers load. Right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Huh, they put siding on the chimney. How odd.

That's very, very common now. "Chimneys" are often just OSB boxes with triple wall running up from their "ambiance" gas fireplace(s).

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Motronic posted:

That's very, very common now. "Chimneys" are often just OSB boxes with triple wall running up from their "ambiance" gas fireplace(s).

It's still ugly af.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahhahah what the gently caress

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It didnt seem so bad til I looked down to the construction pictures and realized he astroturfed the floor?

And filled the underbench area with gravel?

oh its the wine storage

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's still ugly af.

Totally. It's also the cheapest way to do it, so of course that's how it happens.