Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It can be difficult to borderline impossible to bypass ISP equipment depending on what services you have. My parents have digital voice with Comcast, so the voice gateway is integrated with the modem/router/wireless AP device.
Thanks for reminding me that I should never move house, I'd almost forgotten about dealing with this crap. Why does everybody have to overcomplicate this? My current router gets its public-facing IP from a switch (or whatever) in the basement via good old ethernet and DHCP. Why can't everything be this simple? I guess legacy infrastructure is the reason in a lot of cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hey so anyone here dealing the the 5x bootloop issue? I've been fighting with Google and LG on this for weeks (phone currently in LG's hands in a repair facility). Check out this post about someone saying that Google is now telling people that the some 5x devices may have been sent a Pixel software update and that's what bricked them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/5l66de/bootloop_megathread_20/dc23rub/

Unbelievable.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

I have a 6P on 7.0, and I enrolled in the Android beta program. I should be getting 7.1 OTA at some point, right? I did it days ago and still haven't received anything. I doing something wrong?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Llama posted:

I doing something wrong?

You bought a 6P

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Darth Llama posted:

I have a 6P on 7.0, and I enrolled in the Android beta program. I should be getting 7.1 OTA at some point, right? I did it days ago and still haven't received anything. I doing something wrong?

What's your current version and build number?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

amenenema posted:

Hey so anyone here dealing the the 5x bootloop issue? I've been fighting with Google and LG on this for weeks (phone currently in LG's hands in a repair facility). Check out this post about someone saying that Google is now telling people that the some 5x devices may have been sent a Pixel software update and that's what bricked them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/5l66de/bootloop_megathread_20/dc23rub/

Unbelievable.

I just dealt with it (wife's 5X, started bootlooping during use last Saturday), but with an out of warranty 5X purchased from the Google store. Got a replacement shipped with zero effort on my part. Still going to sell the replacement (bought an Axon 7 since she was starting a new job right after the holiday and needed something, and I could pick it up at Best Buy in an hour), but if it really is because of a bad software update... goddamn.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pushing a Pixel update to the 5x causing the problem doesn't ring true for a ton of different reasons.

A Pixel specific patch being merged into the 5x branch sounds plausible, but then it should be hitting all devices and I would have expected them to pull images from the update page.

I think it was just a crappy support person saying the wrong thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

amenenema posted:

Unbelievable.

H'YELO, IS SPEAKING WITH GOOGLE TECHNEEKAL SUPPORT DEFINITELY NOT XDA HERE, I THINK YOUR PHONE RECEIVED PEEKSEL UPDATE YES?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I just dealt with it (wife's 5X, started bootlooping during use last Saturday), but with an out of warranty 5X purchased from the Google store. Got a replacement shipped with zero effort on my part. Still going to sell the replacement (bought an Axon 7 since she was starting a new job right after the holiday and needed something, and I could pick it up at Best Buy in an hour), but if it really is because of a bad software update... goddamn.

So I emailed Fi to let them know that the CS reps I delt with were woefully ignorant of what is actually going on (included the link to the post about Pixel updates). Within 15 minutes I got a call from Fi saying that they were very sorry, that I should have been given a replacement phone immediately, no questions asked. I told them that my phone is currently with LG, as I was instructed to do by Fi staff and the rep said that if that's the case there was nothing he could do - they cannot issue replacement devices unless the broken device is in the customer's possession. He offered me a $75 credit on my bill, which I declined and asked to be transferred to a supervisor. After sitting on hold for 10 min he came back on and said they on have 2 supervisors and they're both on calls, but that he would document the issue and email it to them to have them follow up ASAP.

I guess I'll update as a know more?

TL;DR - Google broke my phone by sending it the wrong update, their CS staff told me to send it to LG to be repaired, and now they admit their mistake but can't/won't send me a replacement because LG has my phone. Hey Google/Fi - gently caress you guys.

Edit - to those above, regardless of what caused the issue, some people reporting it are having the device replaced by Google/Fi no questions asked, and others (like me) were told it wasn't Google's fault and instructed to send it to the black hole that is LG. The CS rep 100% agreed I should have been given a replacement device immediately when I first called. I don't give a rip what caused the problem, what I do care about is them handling the same issue differently depending on luck of the CS draw.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 6, 2017

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

nimper posted:

What's your current version and build number?

7.0 NBD91V

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

For some reason Google never approved the 7.1.1 official update for 6Ps on Verizon.

You could attempt to sideload the OTA file, I suppose. Latest build is N4F26J.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Darth Llama posted:

Looks like a Verizon thing, have you considered a different carrier?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If someone had to choose a different carrier every time Google withheld an update for that carrier, you would have already been through all of them (including Fi).

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The GF and I both got security updates for our N5s yesterday. We were and still are on the October security update. Does anyone here know what yesterdays update fixed?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
man, 6.0.1 really unfucked my droid turbo. i can actually use the camera now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

amenenema posted:

Unbelievable.

While highly unlikely, I do question why we are having "Random Bootlooping" All of a friggin sudden in such high levels. The phone is over a year old so why in the hell is it only now all dying at the same time, and not even with owners who have had it for over that same timeframe?

Similar to the 6P's having battery issues all around the same time as 7.0 dropping and it acting different than the usual loss of battery life and instead is a completely bad battery % estimate that makes the last 15-30% completely unusable.

Really weird, but makes it really hard to see where exactly the problem lies.

And for being on the Dev Preview Program, you should have gotten a 7.1.1 dev preview update before 7.1.1 even came out. So if you are still at 7.0 you might have gotten one of the updates that didn't seem to have a upgrade path from it. (risk of the Preview Program I guess).

You might want to back up everything and sideload the official update from the Google Factory Image Page. It's a bit of a pain, but doing a clean wipe install from 6.0.1 or 7.0 isn't a bad idea to make sure no residual glitches come with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The UCB-C wall charger that came with my supposedly-still-under-warranty 6P stopped working.

I bought the thing from Google Fi, but I don't use Google Fi anymore. Google's support site says to contact Fi for warranty issues.

So, I call them up and explain the situation. The guy tells me I should go buy a new one from Google Play and they'll credit my bill for the cost of the charger. I remind him that I don't have a Fi bill, and he goes "I guess maybe you can contact the manufacturer, I dunno".

Thanks a lot guy.

Going to try contacting Google directly despite what their support page says.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

The UCB-C wall charger that came with my supposedly-still-under-warranty 6P stopped working.

I bought the thing from Google Fi, but I don't use Google Fi anymore. Google's support site says to contact Fi for warranty issues.

So, I call them up and explain the situation. The guy tells me I should go buy a new one from Google Play and they'll credit my bill for the cost of the charger. I remind him that I don't have a Fi bill, and he goes "I guess maybe you can contact the manufacturer, I dunno".

Thanks a lot guy.

Save yourself the time and headache, just get charger from Amazon.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Thanks a lot guy.

Don't you have the Support tab at the top of the settings menu in your 6P now? (We got it like the pixels in the 7.1.1 update).
Just use that to call or chat with a tech and see what they can do. I've had ok experiences with them and luckily they all seem to be bay area located unlike pretty much all other tech support call centers these days.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well, I contacted Google support directly and while they tried to help, they can't find my original purchase under any of my email addresses so they can't do anything. :/

Anyone purchase their 6P from Fi able to find their receipt or shipping confirmation email and can tell me the email address it came from or the subject line or anything to help me search for it? I can't seem to find the email receipt in any of my inboxes...

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Thermopyle posted:

Thanks a lot guy.

You cheap gently caress! trying to claim a warranty on a loving wallcharger? Jfc

Do you return underwear to the store too?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

You cheap gently caress! trying to claim a warranty on a loving wallcharger? Jfc

Do you return underwear to the store too?

The 6P charger or one of equivalent quality is $35-$50, so yes I'll spend half an hour trying to get them to do what they promised to.

I'm past that point now so I'm just going to buy one. You win, Google.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

The 6P charger or one of equivalent quality is $35-$50, so yes I'll spend half an hour trying to get them to do what they promised to.

I'm past that point now so I'm just going to buy one.

The 6P charger + cable isn't even fully compliant with USB-C spec, so "quality" is hardly the issue here.

(I mean, it works fine with the 6P, but still)

nimper fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 6, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nimper posted:

The 6P charger + cable isn't even fully compliant with USB-C spec, so "quality" is hardly the issue here.

Well whatever, you can't even buy the original 6P charger anymore AFAICT. If I'm buying one, I will buy the appropriate charger which is $35-50.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I have an old car stereo with no bluetooth capability, so I plug my phone(5X) in via headphone jack. The sound is ok when I'm playing audio, but I find that if there is no audio app running, then as soon as I turn the screen off, I get a bunch of blips and noise through my car speakers. I'm guessing its something about how the phone handles the audio jack, like it just lets the signal "float" instead of pulling it all to ground when its not being used? Is there possibly some software fix for this?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Well whatever, you can't even buy the original 6P charger anymore AFAICT. If I'm buying one, I will buy the appropriate charger which is $35-50.

Disclaimer: I don't have this exact charger, but if I was in your shoes this is what I'd buy without a second thought. I have their 5 port with 1 USB-C charger and another two-port and they're the best third party chargers I've seen. The USB-C port on the 5-port charger is as fast as my stock N6P charger.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

peepsalot posted:

I have an old car stereo with no bluetooth capability, so I plug my phone(5X) in via headphone jack. The sound is ok when I'm playing audio, but I find that if there is no audio app running, then as soon as I turn the screen off, I get a bunch of blips and noise through my car speakers. I'm guessing its something about how the phone handles the audio jack, like it just lets the signal "float" instead of pulling it all to ground when its not being used? Is there possibly some software fix for this?

Mine does this when I have it charging more than anything.

The best way I have found around it since the 5X/6P both have terrible headphone ports with no AMP, is to use a bluetooth audio dongle like the Antec Smartbean Got one when it was Free after rebate, and have not been disappointed. It has clear high quality sound (that sounds better than the headphone port using the same Aux input) Louder, and doesn't relay any of the noise if I use the connection directly charging or not.

Also it runs for like 12 hrs before needing a charge too which is nice. The most annoying thing is turning it on which isn't that big a deal.

Also works for phonecalls rather well too.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I just got a Pixel XL and since I'm an uncoordinated nerd who drops his expensive phones, I want a case and a screen protector. I got the Official Google™ Case, which seems underwhelming, but it feels serviceable enough, but I don't have a screen protector yet. My old phone, a Galaxy S5, had a bodygaurdz screen protector on it, and that thing did a fantastic job of feeling like there wasn't really a screen protector on my phone, and took several hits on behalf of the phone. I checked to see if they make one for the Pixel XL, but they only make a filmy scratch protector, not a tempered glass 'I'm a child and drop my phone a lot' protector. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good screen protector of the glass variety?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
They probably all come from the same 3-4 factories in China, buy whatever you think looks good.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah, I got my 6P back in December 2015 and the charger just died one day in March. I didn't even bother trying to replace it through Google, I just got an Anker one from amazon

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, for those of you getting screwed over waiting for your 128GB Pixels and Pixel XLs...seems there might be an explanation why: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/06/verizon-just-256gb-pixel-pixel-xl/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, for those of you getting screwed over waiting for your 128GB Pixels and Pixel XLs...seems there might be an explanation why: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/06/verizon-just-256gb-pixel-pixel-xl/

It says right in that link that it's most likely a mistake....

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It says right in that link that it's most likely a mistake....

Well, to my knowledge the holdup on the XLs is a shortage of NAND. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but one would think they'd have 'outed' it at CES.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Why would NAND shortage only affect the XLs?

If anything, the likely component shortage would be the display.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Why would NAND shortage only affect the XLs?

If anything, the likely component shortage would be the display.

It's both, actually: http://www.androidauthority.com/global-amoled-memory-shortages-predicted-2017-728012/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's a general outlook for 2017, not about the current Pixel XL stock issues.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just thought I'd check to see how much storage I'm actually using on my 32GB Pixel XL (12.27GB of 29.70GB). It seems like 29.7GB available on a 32GB device is better than it has been, isn't it? Especially with the dual images?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Just thought I'd check to see how much storage I'm actually using on my 32GB Pixel XL (12.27GB of 29.70GB). It seems like 29.7GB available on a 32GB device is better than it has been, isn't it? Especially with the dual images?
That 29.7GB (which is just what 32GB SI works out to be in GiB) includes the system images which are 5.39GB. They're listed as an item on the Storage screen

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 7, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

That 29.7GB (which is just what 32GiB works out to be in regular GB) includes the system image (s) which are 5.39GB. They're listed as an item on the Storage screen

Ah, I was just going off the main settings screen--I never actually entered it. That makes a lot more sense, thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tunga posted:

That 29.7GB (which is just what 32GiB works out to be in regular GB) includes the system image (s) which are 5.39GB. They're listed as an item on the Storage screen

Wait they are counting the storage in base 10 for the pixel???