Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Or people can mean what they say, and you are trying to construct a narrative without anything to support it. In fact, Dragon Age has brought a freelance writer for the next game. He will likely leave before the game is complete. So, the fact that Schlerf and a freelance editor left isn't concerning if Bioware is leaning towards bringing in new writers temporarily.

Constructing a narrative, huh... maybe Bioware should have hired me to write Andromeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'd say I'm somewhat hyped because it is a new Mass Effect game, which is a franchise I love. Also the fact that it's a whole new cast and new worlds and whatnot is pretty cool. The Shepard stuff is done, and I'm glad that rather than dwell on it they moved on.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

exquisite tea posted:

Constructing a narrative, huh... maybe Bioware should have hired me to write Andromeda.

I agree, you have some cool ideas when you aren't too busy shitposting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Milky Moor posted:

Hasn't the game also bounced between a lot of different studios and such under the EA umbrella? I remember something about the Need For Speed devs helping out.

"Bouncing around" makes it sound like they're passing it off on each other, but what we've had available to read has been more about getting consultation or bringing other teams on board to work with the core team. The DA Inquisition team was brought on about a year ago or more, as I recall. Need for Speed devs were brought in to help with making the space rover. How much they were actually involved in that isn't clear, and they're using the presence of the Need for Speed devs as a selling point for the nu-Mako, so it could be they were just brought into a room to say "yeah that's good" and then sent home for the day.

I am reminded of another game that had such a messy development it took every studio under the umbrella to finish it: Red Dead Redemption. It'll be interesting to learn more.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

My hopes for the game:
- Cool Mako driving and exploration
- Interesting and varied enemies to fight
- Good gameplay
- A fair amount of C&C for replayability
- Not too many annoying companions

I honestly don't care about the quality of the story too much if the above are good

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

exquisite tea posted:

Every single piece of evidence points to this game just being a huge mess, but the goon hope burns eternal. OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE.

I'm more excited for Nioh and Horizon but I still think this game will be pretty good.

No one is forcing you to buy it and if you don't think you'll get it then leave it at that.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

marshmallow creep posted:

"Bouncing around" makes it sound like they're passing it off on each other

He's probably talking about the Edmonton and Austin studios helping out as well. However, Edmonton probably just helped generating assets for the open world stuff since art is the biggest bottleneck in development. And Austin? I don't know, they work on an online game so maybe multiplayer back end?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh are we in the "gently caress you for saying mean things about my space shooty game!" phase of these threads again?

Cool :allears:

ME threads were better when buff gay dude was posting in them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Serf posted:

I'd say I'm somewhat hyped because it is a new Mass Effect game, which is a franchise I love. Also the fact that it's a whole new cast and new worlds and whatnot is pretty cool. The Shepard stuff is done, and I'm glad that rather than dwell on it they moved on.

The problem as I see it, and as others have pointed out, is that they're not actually moving on with anything in Mass Effect. They're copying mirror images of all the stuff you knew from ME and pasting it into a new galaxy without any new features to show off or anything interesting to say except... jetpacks, I guess? It's just extremely cargo cult, like they're afraid to mention anything that's in the new game because of 1) fear of fan rejection or 2) nothing is actually there. Maybe a graphical update to ME3's multiplayer for another $60 is enough for some but I don't even have the confidence to think they'll get that right. Anyway I've said enough about my own doubts by this point and if you're super hyped for Meme Effect: Fandramada then good for you. I'm sure we'll get a good game out of this polished, AAA production.

FLAMETHROWE
R

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hamburger Test posted:

I'm not exactly hyped, I have hope for the multiplayer being decent. But I don't sit around trying to tear it down or prop it up.

somehow this is the most depressing post in the whole thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mass Effect threads have a proud history. Come on now, people.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think people have way too high standards for a game that's still a whole 3 months from release. There's still hundreds of hours of overtime left to finish it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The problem as I see it, and as others have pointed out, is that they're not actually moving on with anything in Mass Effect. They're copying mirror images of all the stuff you knew from ME and pasting it into a new galaxy without any new features to show off or anything interesting to say except... jetpacks, I guess? It's just extremely cargo cult, like they're afraid to mention anything that's in the new game because of 1) fear of fan rejection or 2) nothing is actually there. Maybe a graphical update to ME3's multiplayer for another $60 is enough for some but I don't even have the confidence to think they'll get that right. Anyway I've said enough about my own doubts by this point and if you're super hyped for Meme Effect: Fandramada then good for you. I'm sure we'll get a good game out of this polished, AAA production.

FLAMETHROWE
R

They could try out new gameplay stuff and that would be cool. I'm kinda interested in the job system and switching around, that seems neat. But they could also keep things pretty much the same and I'd be cool with that too. I've enjoyed every Mass Effect game so far, and getting more ME3 would be just fine by me. It might end up being real bad, who knows for sure, but so far they've yet to disappoint. I think I've played every Bioware game since KOTOR and nothing has turned me off to them yet.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

orcane posted:

ME threads were better when buff gay dude was posting in them.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lt. Danger posted:

I think people have way too high standards for a game that's still a whole 3 months from release. There's still hundreds of hours of overtime left to finish it.

Who do you think they are, Clown Imperium Games?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think there's every chance it will be good, and would like it to be good, it's just that marketing this limited for a highly anticipated AAA release from a major developer is really odd and strikes a note of uncertainty. Bioware has, I'm pretty sure, never been this cagey about showing off an upcoming release before. Even Dragon Age 2 had character trailers, pre-release fiction snippets, and dev interviews on the combat system.

I mean, it's entirely possible their marketing team is just falling down on the job and all the game making people are doing great. It's just that the limited material is weird enough to make you sort of suspicious.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Zelder posted:

somehow this is the most depressing post in the whole thread

I'm just waiting for unbiased opinions rather than making up a bunch of poo poo or relying on PR, why is that depressing?

Serf
May 5, 2011

I don't think I've ever seen people ask for more marketing for anything.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'd like to see, like, even five minutes of continuous gameplay. Or a dialogue scene that isn't 20 seconds of weirdly written nothing with an animation bug on the player character's face. It's not so much that I wanna be dazzled by the deluge of marketing material, I just want some kind of assurance that there's a functioning game here. You know?

To be fair though, we were really spoiled with DAI's marketing material, which had like, hour long deep dives and extensive area reveals and character trailers and per-character interviews and all this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Android Blues posted:

I think there's every chance it will be good, and would like it to be good, it's just that marketing this limited for a highly anticipated AAA release from a major developer is really odd and strikes a note of uncertainty. Bioware has, I'm pretty sure, never been this cagey about showing off an upcoming release before. Even Dragon Age 2 had character trailers, pre-release fiction snippets, and dev interviews on the combat system.

I mean, it's entirely possible their marketing team is just falling down on the job and all the game making people are doing great. It's just that the limited material is weird enough to make you sort of suspicious.

Doom had like zero marketing or hype pre-release and was the second best game last year.

I don't give a poo poo about marketing

I base my opinion when reviews start dropping.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It seems that more restrained marketing campaigns for AAA games are becoming a trend. Whether that's to temper expectations or because the market is saturated is debatable. But I know I prefer it this way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Serf posted:

It seems that more restrained marketing campaigns for AAA games are becoming a trend. Whether that's to temper expectations or because the market is saturated is debatable. But I know I prefer it this way.

The gaming crowd seems really on the ball about upcoming releases anyway so if you can save some money on marketing, why not?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Serf posted:

It might also be a cost saving thing; it's easy to spend tens of millions of dollars making a game and then tens of millions more advertising it (eg The Witcher 3).

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dexo posted:

Doom had like zero marketing or hype pre-release and was the second best game last year.

I don't give a poo poo about marketing

I base my opinion when reviews start dropping.

No, Doom had marketing and hype but it was for dumbass multiplayer. It wasn't until the Nvida live demo when people realized "Oh poo poo, the SP is insanely fast and fun!".

But yes waiting until reviews is the best bet here. I'm tempted if there is some massive deal on pre-release that drops it to say $30 or so but other then that everyone only wins by playing the waiting game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Where are you living that AAA releases not getting a huge marketing campaign has been a trend for you? Overwatch, BF1, UC4, No Man's Sky, Dishonored 2, FFXV all got massive pushes with commercial spots, social media marketing, the whole nine. Andromeda should be on that same level and it got shunted behind EA's web developer toolkit last E3. I'm not saying that rampant marketing makes a game good, but the fact that a sequel to one of the most popular sci-fi franchises out there is coming out in two months with relatively little fanfare is enough to raise an eyebrow.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
If I was to complain about an animation lacking weight it would be the weak little omni tool jab that Ryder did in the latest video, although I did not like the omni tool melee attacks in ME3 either for the same reason and the biotic melees were way better.

Enemies do go flying when you charge them in the old games too, but only if their shield/armor/barrier is gone. Otherwise they just stagger. It was the whole basis of the batarian vanguard multiplayer character where you would charge something and then do a punch and cause your guy to slide across the floor following the ragdoll enemy.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hamburger Test posted:

I'm just waiting for unbiased opinions rather than making up a bunch of poo poo or relying on PR, why is that depressing?

I guess that if my expectations for a game was that the multiplayer may be decent I probably wouldn't think or post about the game

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lt. Danger posted:

I think people have way too high standards for a game that's still a whole 3 months from release. There's still hundreds of hours of overtime left to finish it and the day 1 dlc patches

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Zelder posted:

I guess that if my expectations for a game was that the multiplayer may be decent I probably wouldn't think or post about the game

I really liked ME3 MP tho. One of the things I've learnt is to not let my expectations for games be influenced too much by brand names or (lack of) quality PR surrounding it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I played the ME3 multiplayer for a while, and then I stopped because I didn't actually give a gently caress about multiplayer, and I probably will play a bit of ME:A's if I get it, but I also won't give a gently caress about it compared to what I would be buying the game for: the single player campaign

Serf
May 5, 2011

When ME3 was announced to have multiplayer, I was nonplussed. It seemed like an unnecessary thing. Then I played it, realized it was the best iteration of the Firefight/Horde mode I'd ever played, and sunk like 100 hours into it. That poo poo rocked.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

right, right, and I don't care about doing it - isn't this fun? We're discussing our feelings!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

JawKnee posted:

right, right, and I don't care about doing it - isn't this fun? We're discussing our feelings!

I think you accidentally hit "Submit Reply" here buddy!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Why does Mass Effect: Andromeda look like a mid-Xbox 360 era game?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Lumpy the Cook posted:

consoles

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

I think you accidentally hit "Submit Reply" here buddy!

nope!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It doesn't.

Serf
May 5, 2011

JawKnee posted:

I guess so, yeah.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm not a goon who sits around and shits on a game- but there is some legitimately good criticism here in that, they really haven't shown much.

I knew a lot about ME2 and ME3 going into two months before release. For instance I could tell you that it was possible to shoot pilots out of ATLAS mechs, and there would be a part in the game you took control of one for ME3. Most of the new party members were highlighted or hinted at. Just little details like that.

Not seeing any of that here. I suspect they've might have stripped the game down again Dragon Age 2 style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not a goon who sits around and shits on a game- but there is some legitimately good criticism here in that, they really haven't shown much.

I knew a lot about ME2 and ME3 going into two months before release. For instance I could tell you that it was possible to shoot pilots out of ATLAS mechs, and there would be a part in the game you took control of one for ME3. Most of the new party members were highlighted or hinted at. Just little details like that.

Not seeing any of that here. I suspect they've might have stripped the game down again Dragon Age 2 style.

Dragon Age 2 had a ton of marketing and things before release?

Do you really not remember 'THIS IS THE NEW poo poo',"Button=awesome connection", several hour long deep dives and a demo about a month and a half out.