Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

flosofl posted:

:dance:

Please tell me this was done as a response to the thread. I will be so disappointed if not.

Holy poo poo someone made this :lol:. Background info was someone posted in I think A/T some years ago asking for an app to track haircuts and at first people told him to get excel etc, but I think the guy was completely serious and gave us reasons why excel wouldn't work and some other goons started joking about making the app, throwing in dumb buzzwords like using seo optimized data storage structures for efficiency etc and the OP either drank the cool aid believed us or trolled us all. I don't have archives but it was a fun thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Any simple note-taking apps that have a black background and sync to iCloud?

I used to use iA Writer until the developer stopped releasing bug fixes for it, renamed it to iA Writer Classic, and rereleased it as a separate purchase. It was pretty good, but not good enough for my usage to buy twice. It does have a black background and iCloud/Dropbox sync, though.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Weedle posted:

I used to use iA Writer until the developer stopped releasing bug fixes for it, renamed it to iA Writer Classic, and rereleased it as a separate purchase. It was pretty good, but not good enough for my usage to buy twice. It does have a black background and iCloud/Dropbox sync, though.

I remember that. There was a whole curfuffle about the new app and some of its features. I remember the Daedalus (sp?) / Ulysses team adding the features just to troll them.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Is there any phone app that will let you make a completely free call to another number which isn't also associated with that app?

The reason for this question is that, at some point in the last few weeks, my iPhone 5 stopped sending and receiving calls. The last successful call was a few days before Christmas, and the next time I tried to make a call on New Year's Eve, that's when I noticed there was a problem. Trying to make calls just results in Call Failed after about ten seconds, and anybody that calls me just gets immediately sent to voice mail. Everything else (apps, email, internet browsing, etc...) still works fine. I have a Genius bar appt next week for them to look at it, since I've tried every setting and solution (short of a full restore, which was kind of painful the last time I had to do one) I could find on Google with no luck. However, my area is about to get a bunch of snow over the weekend, and my work place only communicates open/close/delay status updates due to inclement weather by having us call a number which plays the recorded status message for the day.

Since I don't know why normal calls aren't working, I don't actually know if another phone app will even let me make a successful call. But, I'd rather not pay for something that I should only need for a few days, and I'd especially rather not pay just to find out it doesn't work anyways.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you mean like...cellular calls? 3rd party apps can't access that functionality.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I was thinking maybe something like Skype might work, but that charges for calls to things like landlines or regular phone numbers, from what I understand and I was hoping to avoid that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think there's any service in the world that'll give you free calls to a cellular number.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Google Voice does on the US.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
A VOIP app like magicJack will give you a number and let you receive calls from anywhere for free over WiFi and cellular, but I'd doubt you're going to be able to get away with making calls for free. You may be able to get away with pay-as-you-go, though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Try taking the SIM card out and putting it back in? Could be debris or it got unseated or something.

With Skype you can just load it with :10bux: and have a backup phone for things like this.

Or if you really don't want to pay period you could google for "ADA relay service" or something like that. They're (free) text-to-voice services for deaf people so you'd be kind of abusing it.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

OK, thanks all, that gives me a few things to check out. I would pay for another service before using the ADA service, if it comes down to that, since yeah I wouldn't feel right using it since I wouldn't meet that classification.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You didn't specifically mention it, but did you call your cellphone service provider?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Schpyder posted:

I don't need a budgeting app, and just use Mint to track financial activity and make sure I'm not doing anything too crazy.

If you actually need something to track budgeting rather than just give you a current snapshot and some trends, YNAB is better.

Yeah I pretty much just was looking for something simple because I use(d) Spend as an anti anxiety tool.

Full budget apps actually tend to do the opposite for me.

I liked Mint but it got too naggy at some point. Spend was perfect. RIP.

Spendee is good so far, though.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

What does everyone use to keep track of shared expenses? I am trialling splitwise at the moment but wondered if anyone had any recommendations otherwise. My main gripe at the moment is it being unable to deal with an expense if someone isn't a member - I can't see my family members wanting to sign up but it would be useful to track shared expenses with them still.

And while I'm here, what's the current recommendation for a shared shopping list / todo list? Needs to be able to be shared with android, otherwise I'd just use Reminders.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

And while I'm here, what's the current recommendation for a shared shopping list / todo list? Needs to be able to be shared with android, otherwise I'd just use Reminders.
OurGroceries worked well for us for years. I switched to Reminders only because they integrated it with the watch.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
We use Anylist and it works pretty well for synching up on shopping trips.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anybody know a good sleep tracking app?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sleep Cycle has been my go-to for years. It's good enough that I've never felt a need to look for something better/different.

Their new app, Life Cycle, is also kind of neat in a spergy "track my haircuts" type of way. It also logs your sleep but I'm not sure how.. it can import data from Sleep Cycle but also somehow knows when I've slept even when I'm not using Sleep Cycle.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

What does everyone use to keep track of shared expenses? I am trialling splitwise at the moment but wondered if anyone had any recommendations otherwise. My main gripe at the moment is it being unable to deal with an expense if someone isn't a member - I can't see my family members wanting to sign up but it would be useful to track shared expenses with them still.

Todoist and wunderlist get recommended all the time.

For groceries and recipes, just use paprika on all your devices. It's too good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm an out of touch dude who hasn't really messed with my iPhone 6S since I got it, so I have zero idea how Apple has hosed with things in the past 18 months.

Music.app is loving dogshit garbage. Terrible interface. Terrible everything. I have a bunch of music that I want to update my phone with, but I don't want to go with iTunes or iCloud or any of that nonsense if I can manage to not.

What's a good Music app replacement that just plays music (and also plays nicely with USB interfaces like for playing music in the car) and how do I dump my library onto my phone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know of anything that will let you just copy stuff over. Virtually any alternative will be making use of some cloud somewhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't use it myself but my wife swears by Amazon's music app. It has some kind of song matching feature but I've never used it so can't comment on how well it works for getting your library into their ecosystem.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

xzzy posted:

I don't use it myself but my wife swears by Amazon's music app. It has some kind of song matching feature but I've never used it so can't comment on how well it works for getting your library into their ecosystem.
It works pretty well, but you only get to add 250 songs without paying $25/yr, at which point you probably might as well get iTunes Match.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
If you want to avoid iTunes or using Music.app as a backend you'll need to use Google or Amazon's services, I think.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google Play Music is good. Lets you download for offline use. Before I started using Apple Music I used google play and it was very good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't mind using iTunes to transfer files over, but I need another app other than Music.

Ecoute looks to be what I'm looking for. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ecoute-beautiful-music-player/id536882653?mt=8

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ecoute is good and supports album shuffle, something Apple has had seemingly no interest in since like a decade ago. Cesium is another good Music.app alternative.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Weedle posted:

Ecoute is good and supports album shuffle, something Apple has had seemingly no interest in since like a decade ago.
? You choose an album in music.app and "Shuffle All" is right there at the top.

Or do you mean playing multiple albums in a random order?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He means the latter.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

xzzy posted:

If you have a lot of multi-artist compilations, Amazon's grouping is crap. Say hello to a million single-track albums.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Cesium is a really good music app, better than encoute imo.

I just got ProTube and while it's really nice I really wish there was a share extension for it. Seems like a no-brainer to have one instead of requiring me to copy and paste the video URL into the app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

skull mask mcgee posted:

Cesium is a really good music app, better than encoute imo.

I just got ProTube and while it's really nice I really wish there was a share extension for it. Seems like a no-brainer to have one instead of requiring me to copy and paste the video URL into the app.

Get Opener, it's free. You can make a share extension that opens YouTube URLs directly in ProTube

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Get Opener, it's free. You can make a share extension that opens YouTube URLs directly in ProTube

Yeah I found that like five minutes after making that post :v:

It's $1.99 now but the convenience is worth it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It might not have been free when I got it but I use it all the time, it's good for opening photos in VSCO as well.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Google Play Music is good. Lets you download for offline use. Before I started using Apple Music I used google play and it was very good.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I can't wait for my apple music trial to run out because I am ditching this poo poo for google play as fast as I can. Thanks for reading.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cool. Thanks for letting us know.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

beefnoodle posted:

If you have a lot of multi-artist compilations, Amazon's grouping is crap. Say hello to a million single-track albums.

Kind of, if you sort by album it shows up as the one compilation. If you sort by Artist it'll include each comp appearance as a one song album. It's not really that bad.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I don't view it sorted by artist, so for me it is that bad. They don't handle compilations properly. Not even their own purchased songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I loved Google Music when I had my Android phones, but now that I have an iPhone and use Apple CarPlay so drat much, I'm stuck with Apple Music. I hope they open up Carplay to more third apps (lolololol right)