Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone know why BGG won't load anything on iOS? Doesn't matter if I go through google or direct, the tab just stops and every link does nothing, not even a loading symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
BGG is down for maintenance.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

lordsummerisle posted:

I am really impressed by The Colonists so far, but I think it will end up being a solo game for me. It seems to have a lot of strong qualities as a solo, however, I do have some gripes. The start player hex should have some other effect in solitaire, but I don't quite know what. Also, I really would like some options on setups. I dont like the idea of planning out my board by myself before play, so right now I am just using the 3 premade ones (easy/medium/hard) from the tutorial booklet.

Does anyone know any good solitaire tips for this game? I really think this would be easy to make a great solo game out with just a little tweaking.
They posted a while ago that they're working on an actual solitaire variant, but didn't get it ready in time for Essen. So something official is under way.
A bunch of people play with a number of dummy players and move their stewards by rolling a d6 so they occupy random spaces. There are quite a few suggestions, so check it out when BGG is back up.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The Dregs posted:

Suggestions are welcome! Another game I was looking at is Mice and Mystics. Also that Star Wars version of Descent...Assault I think?

Mice and Mystics is about as deep as a puddle, it's really more of a kid's game.

Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is more flavourful than either Descent or ImpAss and has the app too, would recommend.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

MikeCrotch posted:

Mice and Mystics is about as deep as a puddle, it's really more of a kid's game.

Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is more flavourful than either Descent or ImpAss and has the app too, would recommend.

That looks really good, thank you.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

They posted a while ago that they're working on an actual solitaire variant, but didn't get it ready in time for Essen. So something official is under way.
A bunch of people play with a number of dummy players and move their stewards by rolling a d6 so they occupy random spaces. There are quite a few suggestions, so check it out when BGG is back up.

Yeah, a lot of the solo variants I see, seem to focus on replacing the fee to other players. I don't really see that as a very important step. I would much rather have som setups and conditions. And replace some rules for colonies that are strictly interactive

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The End posted:

If I was getting just one of these, which should it be?

The Great Zimbabwe, because it plays in under three hours and so might conceivably hit the table.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Dregs posted:

Suggestions are welcome! Another game I was looking at is Mice and Mystics. Also that Star Wars version of Descent...Assault I think?

mice and mystics is a good way to get your kids into miniatures/roleplaying/storytelling games like that. it's got good art, plus if you want you can paint the mice. it's nice enough but imho a bunch of adults would probably not be into it unless they, i dunno, really like mice?

it is however pretty alright for playing on tabletop simulator cause it's simple and everyone will be drunk so there's that

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I don't usually do this, but the thread was caught up really deeply in a discussion about ethics in board game politics so I genuinely think there's a chance my post simply went under the radar. If someone who knows anything can comment on this I'd appreciate it :).

Repost:

Dancer posted:

Hey so there's this recent kickstarted secret-role game that looks pretty cool:
http://www.analoggames.com/story/how-we-successfully-leveraged-replay-ability-through-crowdsourcing-ideas-and-social-media/

I like the art-style, and the modular board, and the idea of having secret roles in a game where you move around the map and do stuff appeals to me. Any goon experiences with actually playing it?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Something came up yesterday with Codenames: Pictures. My first clue was Vegetable: 4, with 5 cards on the table that could work with that clue. My team hit the bystander on the first try, but were pretty sure about the other 4. My second play was Construction: 5, with 2 cards that fitted that description, so after a few confused looks they managed to hit 6 words in a row.

Checking the rules, I'm not sure if increasing the number to let the team play catch up is legal. It was very obvious that the number of the second clue had nothing to do with the clue itself.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Completely legal. If you wanted to give infinite guesses you could actually do that with clue: 0.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

Completely legal. If you wanted to give infinite guesses you could actually do that with clue: 0.

clue:0 gives a single guess only (it's the number you give + 1).

If you want to give unlimited guesses just say 'unlimited' iirc.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Zark the Damned posted:

clue:0 gives a single guess only (it's the number you give + 1).

If you want to give unlimited guesses just say 'unlimited' iirc.

0 also gives unlimited guesses, but it means none of the words/pictures are related to your clue (and, usually, that the assassin is :v:). Unlimited is definitely the right 'number' to give in that situation.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just locked in my order for The Great Zimbabwe at 401 so I can grab it when I dip into the city this weekend. If it's nearly as good as Food Chain I'll be impressed.

I wonder when Canadians will get our shipment of the Colonists in though, I've had an order sitting for a while because I pre-ordered it beforehand.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Looks like greatboardgames.ca has The Colonists in stock. Looks cool but I think I'd want to try before buying.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

The Great Zimbabwe, because it plays in under three hours and so might conceivably hit the table.

What's different is that the more players you have (that know the game of course) the faster Indonesia plays. Five experienced players will finish Indonesia in around three hours easy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Just locked in my order for The Great Zimbabwe at 401 so I can grab it when I dip into the city this weekend. If it's nearly as good as Food Chain I'll be impressed.

I wonder when Canadians will get our shipment of the Colonists in though, I've had an order sitting for a while because I pre-ordered it beforehand.

Completely different games. You may easily love one of them and hate the other.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Lorini posted:

Completely different games. You may easily love one of them and hate the other.

Yeah, I understand they are totally different games but I meant I was hopeful more from a Splotter level of quality rather than a "plays the same as Food Chain".

If Indonesia ever shows up I'd love to try it too.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So Asmodee has decided that retailers in the German region should no longer sell English copies of FFG games. So this means I can no longer pick up everything conveniently order and buy everything at my local brick and mortar store or any other stores in that region. Any idea where I could order from now with minimal shipping costs?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Something came up yesterday with Codenames: Pictures. My first clue was Vegetable: 4, with 5 cards on the table that could work with that clue. My team hit the bystander on the first try, but were pretty sure about the other 4. My second play was Construction: 5, with 2 cards that fitted that description, so after a few confused looks they managed to hit 6 words in a row.

Checking the rules, I'm not sure if increasing the number to let the team play catch up is legal. It was very obvious that the number of the second clue had nothing to do with the clue itself.

Strictly speaking, no. If you give a number, that number has to match the number of cards you think matches the clue you're giving. The +1 guess that the team is allowed is the normal mechanic for backfilling clues, but if you need more than that you have to go with :0 or :unlimited.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

the panacea posted:

So Asmodee has decided that retailers in the German region should no longer sell English copies of FFG games. So this means I can no longer pick up everything conveniently order and buy everything at my local brick and mortar store or any other stores in that region. Any idea where I could order from now with minimal shipping costs?

Try https://boardgameprices.co.uk/

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Dancer posted:

Hey so there's this recent kickstarted secret-role game that looks pretty cool:
http://www.analoggames.com/story/how-we-successfully-leveraged-replay-ability-through-crowdsourcing-ideas-and-social-media/

I like the art-style, and the modular board, and the idea of having secret roles on a game where you move around the map and do stuff appeals to me. Any goon experiences with actually playing it?

Played this on Wednesday, actually. The early cube-farming game is...eh, alright? Kinda plodding?

Then the game hit the mid-stage, and suddenly the luck factor in a seemingly nonrandom game showed its ugly head.

I managed to hit a blind guess Hack on another player who had collected a lot of cubes. I had no reason to suspect him, outside of general suspicion of everybody, and made a wild guess as to which hex he'd move to and augment he chose. I guessed right, took his cubes, and cashed them in for 9 knowledge. We got a vote the following turn, and me and another AI were able to exonerate ourselves with huge donations to the AI cause.

Funny enough the guy I stole cubes from WAS human. Had he been able to vote for Humans, he could have fobbed off the blame on my AI partner. I took that play away through a complete blind flail.

We deduced the humans pretty quickly afterwards. The huge cashout did leave us a little starved for knowledge, though, and we were unable to attack the Humans for several turns, giving them a chance to catch up. (I failed a couple hacks as well during this buildup, due to wrong augment guesses.)

The endgame came down to a coin flip. I boosted to the Assimilator space and set my move for the following turn. I was last in turn order. If I chose the same augment as my opponent, he could move into the assimilator, trigger a vote, and win for the humans. If I chose the opposite augment, he would be blocked, and forced to walk next to an AI with a terminate at the ready.

I guessed blue. The human chose green. We blocked him and stole all his knowledge, and the humans conceded. It was deeply unsatisfying.

The blind reveal mechanism--particularly the augment choice, is just too random. You have a little weighting on guessing your opponent's choice if they're headed for particular farming spaces (which require certain colors to interact with), but the farming spaces become less relevant in the late game. And the compiler/assimilator have no color-requirement, so aggressive play around these spaces becomes a blind 50/50. Now, I love me a simultaneous reveal game. Dungeon Lords, BattleCON, and Yomi are all in my top choices. But those games have two crucial differences in their blind reveals: strongly-weighted outcomes, and a sub 50% chance of random play being optimal.

Ultimately, I'd play the game again without needing a gun against my head. But the early game is kinda dull, and the late game is kinda random. It's a weak traitor game bolted onto a dull abstract, and the sum doesn't end up much greater than the parts.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.
Had a board game night for the first time in way to long with my brother and sister-in-law last night. We played three different games, all of them were pretty decent imo.

We started off with Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle. Going into this Deck Builder I assumed that this would more or less be a cash grab for USAopoly, but I have to admit I had quite a bit of fun with it. Could be because I love deck builders to begin with, but I was fairly impressed with the flow of the game. Early on it seemed a bit bare-bones, but as we worked through the scenarios the game slowly got a little more complex. The decks were organized into their separate scenarios which made set-up a breeze compared to most deck-builders (looking at you Legendary). The biggest knock against the game, which I found is somewhat a common problem, is that we did discover we were missing a key card for Game 4. Overall though it was pretty fun.

Then we played Betrayal at House on the Hill. I played this game once several years ago, and was happy to realize that it was fairly easy to pick up and get right back into it last night. We played two games of it, and while The Hauntings can certainly feel a bit random to the point of almost unfair at times, the game still maintains quite a bit of fun, by simply exploring and discovering the house. I also wish the various decks contained a few more cards, as even into our second game we were already running into quite a few duplicates. We will be adding the expansion pack next time which should help alleviate this a bit. I got a real kick out of playing this with two new people who had absolutely no idea what to expect going into this.

After that my sister-in-law went to bed and that left just me and my brother. We decided to break open our x-men/avengers/spider-man dice master starter sets that we had bought years ago, but never got around to playing. The rules took longer to figure out than we would have liked to. We probably should have just watched a YouTube video, but after battling through the rule book we were off and going. Its magic meets dice, and while I kind of sworn off most CCGs for LCGs these days, my brother and I were pretty hooked by the end of the night. We are on the way to our FLGS tonight to look at picking up most sets/boosters. I am eager to mix some Dungeons and Dragons or Ninja Turtles into the Marvel Universe. God help me...

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I dumped on Betrayal last time, it's someone else's turn.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ZombieSnot posted:

Then we played Betrayal at House on the Hill. I played this game once several years ago, and was happy to realize that it was fairly easy to pick up and get right back into it last night. We played two games of it, and while The Hauntings can certainly feel a bit random to the point of almost unfair at times, the game still maintains quite a bit of fun, by simply exploring and discovering the house. I also wish the various decks contained a few more cards, as even into our second game we were already running into quite a few duplicates. We will be adding the expansion pack next time which should help alleviate this a bit. I got a real kick out of playing this with two new people who had absolutely no idea what to expect going into this.

This is kinda true, but my objection is that it means that your decisions in the game are essentially meaningless. This doesn't mean that you can't have fun with it, but in my mind no board game should ever feel unfair. Even the "exploration" is just an exercise in seeing what order the cards happen to be in the deck and seeing how keywords and symbols match up, against which the players are essentially passive participants.

I will never in a million years recommend Betrayal as a board game, but I might recommend it as a light RP activity in a box.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah, I understand they are totally different games but I meant I was hopeful more from a Splotter level of quality rather than a "plays the same as Food Chain".

If Indonesia ever shows up I'd love to try it too.

I have been playing The Great Zimbabwe as a beta tester online, and I like it a lot. I really enjoy the angle of choosing benefits carrying a victory point "penalty" cost, so the more powerups you grab the higher your win condition. It might not be your thing but don't worry whether it's Splotter quality gameplay & design or not. It is.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CommonShore posted:

This is kinda true, but my objection is that it means that your decisions in the game are essentially meaningless. This doesn't mean that you can't have fun with it, but in my mind no board game should ever feel unfair. Even the "exploration" is just an exercise in seeing what order the cards happen to be in the deck and seeing how keywords and symbols match up, against which the players are essentially passive participants.

I will never in a million years recommend Betrayal as a board game, but I might recommend it as a light RP activity in a box.

How does it compare to the other experience generator the Arabian nights one?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Has anyone here played Watch the Skies? I just got an opportunity to go for free, and I'm trying to decide if it would be fun to do if I don't know anyone there and don't really have much experience with board games. It kind of feels like jumping in the deep end.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sinteres posted:

Has anyone here played Watch the Skies? I just got an opportunity to go for free, and I'm trying to decide if it would be fun to do if I don't know anyone there and don't really have much experience with board games. It kind of feels like jumping in the deep end.
I haven't played in Watch the Skies but I have played in 2 mega games by the guys that came up with the game and they were a lot of fun.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

A big problem with Betrayal as an "experience generator" is that the dice-based... everything is not very good, and I think detracts a lot from any potential roleplaying.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

A big problem with Betrayal as an "experience generator" is that the dice-based... everything is not very good, and I think detracts a lot from any potential roleplaying.

Yeah I think it's awful - you don't feel in control at all. Is the Arabian one better?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tekopo posted:

I haven't played in Watch the Skies but I have played in 2 mega games by the guys that came up with the game and they were a lot of fun.

Just accepted, thanks. I figure there's basically 0% chance I'll be the only awkward person there.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Played this on Wednesday, actually. The early cube-farming game is...eh, alright? Kinda plodding?

Then the game hit the mid-stage, and suddenly the luck factor in a seemingly nonrandom game showed its ugly head.

I managed to hit a blind guess Hack on another player who had collected a lot of cubes. I had no reason to suspect him, outside of general suspicion of everybody, and made a wild guess as to which hex he'd move to and augment he chose. I guessed right, took his cubes, and cashed them in for 9 knowledge. We got a vote the following turn, and me and another AI were able to exonerate ourselves with huge donations to the AI cause.

Funny enough the guy I stole cubes from WAS human. Had he been able to vote for Humans, he could have fobbed off the blame on my AI partner. I took that play away through a complete blind flail.

We deduced the humans pretty quickly afterwards. The huge cashout did leave us a little starved for knowledge, though, and we were unable to attack the Humans for several turns, giving them a chance to catch up. (I failed a couple hacks as well during this buildup, due to wrong augment guesses.)

The endgame came down to a coin flip. I boosted to the Assimilator space and set my move for the following turn. I was last in turn order. If I chose the same augment as my opponent, he could move into the assimilator, trigger a vote, and win for the humans. If I chose the opposite augment, he would be blocked, and forced to walk next to an AI with a terminate at the ready.

I guessed blue. The human chose green. We blocked him and stole all his knowledge, and the humans conceded. It was deeply unsatisfying.

The blind reveal mechanism--particularly the augment choice, is just too random. You have a little weighting on guessing your opponent's choice if they're headed for particular farming spaces (which require certain colors to interact with), but the farming spaces become less relevant in the late game. And the compiler/assimilator have no color-requirement, so aggressive play around these spaces becomes a blind 50/50. Now, I love me a simultaneous reveal game. Dungeon Lords, BattleCON, and Yomi are all in my top choices. But those games have two crucial differences in their blind reveals: strongly-weighted outcomes, and a sub 50% chance of random play being optimal.

Ultimately, I'd play the game again without needing a gun against my head. But the early game is kinda dull, and the late game is kinda random. It's a weak traitor game bolted onto a dull abstract, and the sum doesn't end up much greater than the parts.

Thanks for the words. Guess that another cool looking game I don't need to add to my too long wishlist that's full of legitimately cool games :) .

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Shorter and randomer but with less flipping through a bunch of annoying books.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah I think it's awful - you don't feel in control at all. Is the Arabian one better?

It's as bad or worse, there is very little consistency in terms of choices and results. I think Arabian Nights get way too much of a pass by most people, and whether one calls it a game, experience generator or whatever it doesn't really have much to recommend it.

Flawed as they might be, I think the newer FFG titles - Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness 2e and Arkham Horror: The Card Game are miles better and as good as you can currently get for highly narrative tabletop games, with differing levels of abstraction. MoM 2e is really good in particular as an 'experience generator', there is close to nil setup and barely any rules to remember as the app covers off so much of the crunch, new players can dive right in. For two players I would add Pandemic Legacy.

In my mind those four games just blow stuff like Arabian Nights / Betrayal out of the water in terms of being satisfying repayable narrative experiences. I'm probably forgetting something else recent that's good too.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Just got my kickstarter order for Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. Won't be able to get it to the table for a while but gosh these are some nice chunky custom dice and nicely modeled minis.

Also jesus christ there are an extra 14 heroes that came from the kickstarter stretch goals, compared to the 5 that come in the base box. That's so many!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Blamestorm posted:

It's as bad or worse, there is very little consistency in terms of choices and results. I think Arabian Nights get way too much of a pass by most people, and whether one calls it a game, experience generator or whatever it doesn't really have much to recommend it.

Flawed as they might be, I think the newer FFG titles - Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness 2e and Arkham Horror: The Card Game are miles better and as good as you can currently get for highly narrative tabletop games, with differing levels of abstraction. MoM 2e is really good in particular as an 'experience generator', there is close to nil setup and barely any rules to remember as the app covers off so much of the crunch, new players can dive right in. For two players I would add Pandemic Legacy.

In my mind those four games just blow stuff like Arabian Nights / Betrayal out of the water in terms of being satisfying repayable narrative experiences. I'm probably forgetting something else recent that's good too.

I love pandemic legacy but the quarterbacking problem is just to much. Thanks for the heads about about Arabian nights - I was thinking about getting it but it sounds like it's better than Betrayal but not better enough.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dropkickpikachu posted:

Just got my kickstarter order for Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. Won't be able to get it to the table for a while but gosh these are some nice chunky custom dice and nicely modeled minis.

Also jesus christ there are an extra 14 heroes that came from the kickstarter stretch goals, compared to the 5 that come in the base box. That's so many!

Hmm, I haven't even received a tracking number. Damnit.

DadJokeGenerator
Feb 15, 2015

dropkickpikachu posted:

It's beautiful, isn't it? After seeing the Watch It Played clip my friends have been screaming for me to bust it out. It sucks being the only one not on holidays during January.

Just a quick question: Have any backers heard anything about the Lisboa Kickstarter? It's a bad time to expect updates but after 2-3 weeks of silence and no response after the G+ survey I'm a little concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'd like to hear about Masmorra. I remember it getting some hype in here in the not too distant past. All of the dungeon-crawler-with-miniatures type games that have come down the pipe, particularly the CMoN stuff, really blurred together in my eyes. The talk about it before made me curious as to why it may or may not stand out from the rest.