Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Asimo posted:

I can't believe there are people saying that putting a small child on a carnivorous animal five times their size is a totally fine idea. I mean... what? Has modern western society inured people that much to the dangers of wild animals? :psyduck:

It acts totally fine in this 30 second clip and the guy says it's cool, no fuckin' strangers better be takin' pitchers of my kid while it's riding on this apex predator's back though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Asimo posted:

I can't believe there are people saying that putting a small child on a carnivorous animal five times their size is a totally fine idea. I mean... what? Has modern western society inured people that much to the dangers of wild animals? :psyduck:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Aren't alligators known for nasty tail whips and rolling though, or are the rolls only to drown prey in water?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Aren't alligators known for nasty tail whips and rolling though, or are the rolls only to drown prey in water?

The roll is to either kill prey or break tear meat off, they only do it when they're eating and, AFAIK, don't do it much out of water.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
It leaves their soft belly exposed and it's hard to flip back over. They try to avoid being on their back on land whenever possible.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Flesh eating reptile topical

https://youtu.be/Vw_8npYzNXU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Bum the Sad posted:

Who ever provided his anesthesia explained it shittily more than likely. I always tell people "I'm going to give you some good medications to keep you asleep and comfortable for this procedure, generally you shouldn't remember anything all, but there's a chance you might flutter your eyes for a second or two and then fall right back asleep once or twice during the procedure, and that's just because we have to balance between giving you enough medication to keep you asleep but not so much that you stop breathing, and we'd rather stay on the safe side"

Never had a patient complain. But anyway from the sounds of it homeboy here just had some minor poo poo with midazolam from a nurse like you said. Not a proper deep sedation from an anesthesia provider.

My wife has two hip replacements done under twilight sedation. She remembers nothing. Just having nice nap and waking up with a nurse talking to her. She is young and and the surgery changed her life. She can walk without a cane since then. She's only 41 (Congenital Hip Dysplasia); surgery was about 6 years ago.

The Anesthesiologist gave her a consult first for both and was awesome. I can't say that enough. The Ortho also did an amazing job.

Whoever closed for both surgeries was for poo poo. They closed sloppy. I deal in Aesthetics so I'm familiar with post care wound correction issues. After 8 hours in surgery, what's the harm in a good stitch job. It looked like they just took the staple gun, went to town, and took off. A person could take a few more minutes to make it pretty. It's already the cost of a car per hip.

Also, I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to Ortho work. Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot. Just a pointless anecdote in re anesthetics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah the roll isn't defensive but they can spin around and knock stuff off their back pretty quickly anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1KWfGlCCas

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Ah yes, the classic fable of the alligator and the frogs.

Speaking of reptiles, this seems less cute thread and more osha/rooms I wouldn't want to be in

https://twitter.com/maggieserota/status/816844286411046912

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 6, 2017

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

mostlygray posted:

My wife has two hip replacements done under twilight sedation. She remembers nothing. Just having nice nap and waking up with a nurse talking to her.

The Anesthesiologist gave her a consult first for both and was awesome. I can't say that enough. The Ortho also did an amazing job.
Uh yeah. That's the ideal scenario. If she had a total hip and wasn't under general that means your wife had a spinal which means the surgery caused zero pain. That's an easy sedation after that. I love doing those. That's a beautiful anesthetic.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

The ribbed parts are for premium channels.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I woke up briefly during my heart ablation procedure and I could feel the induced SVT they were causing to fix the wonky parts of my heart. it was weird but at least I don't have SVT attacks anymore 👌

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The Snoo posted:

I woke up briefly during my heart ablation procedure and I could feel the induced SVT they were causing to fix the wonky parts of my heart. it was weird but at least I don't have SVT attacks anymore 👌

Lol yes. Completely normal. Sometimes we give you drugs during those that speed up your heart and metabolism and everything in order to provoke the SVT which causes our drugs to "wear off" a bit quicker. Then you fidget and we go oh poo poo and give you more.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

The Snoo posted:

I had some kind of heart surgery where they needed to suture some part of my heart and I had to be awake for it so that my heart would beat at its normal rate. The nurse in control of the stereo asked me what I wanted to listen to and I said Allman Brothers, but he put Gotye on instead. I would have preferred a lifetime of heart failure over that experience.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

jamal posted:

Ah yes, the classic fable of the alligator and the frogs.

Speaking of reptiles, this seems less cute thread and more osha/rooms I wouldn't want to be in

https://twitter.com/maggieserota/status/816844286411046912

Gi Joe will finally fall!!!

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol yes. Completely normal. Sometimes we give you drugs during those that speed up your heart and metabolism and everything in order to provoke the SVT which causes our drugs to "wear off" a bit quicker. Then you fidget and we go oh poo poo and give you more.

nd sometimes we keep you awake, just for fun

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bum the Sad posted:

Who ever provided his anesthesia explained it shittily more than likely. I always tell people "I'm going to give you some good medications to keep you asleep and comfortable for this procedure, generally you shouldn't remember anything all, but there's a chance you might flutter your eyes for a second or two and then fall right back asleep once or twice during the procedure, and that's just because we have to balance between giving you enough medication to keep you asleep but not so much that you stop breathing, and we'd rather stay on the safe side"

Never had a patient complain. But anyway from the sounds of it homeboy here just had some minor poo poo with midazolam from a nurse like you said. Not a proper deep sedation from an anesthesia provider.

Intellectually, I know that you are a competent medical professional. That you approach your work with care and skill and the appropriate gravitas. Your colleagues might even refer to you as 'a credit to the profession' and your patients look to you with respect that you have earned.

But skill, whenever I read a goon sharing their experiences on drugging people and rendering them unconscious, I mentally always add the phrase 'against their will'.

I'm sorry.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Azhais posted:

That python is my spirit animal

Your use of this term is a bit gross. I suggest a non-appropriative word like fursona.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Bum the Sad posted:

I got that but on an endoscopy. I guess I metabolized the anesthesia faster than they anticipated? Swallow reflex around that tube (oh ho ho) with the camera and whatever in it is not fun. Didn't panic though, so that was good, at least.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bum the Sad posted:

Uh yeah. That's the ideal scenario. If she had a total hip and wasn't under general that means your wife had a spinal which means the surgery caused zero pain. That's an easy sedation after that. I love doing those. That's a beautiful anesthetic.

Wow, I never would have thought a total hip replacement would be done under anything other than general anesthesia.

I mean...there's hammering, and drilling, and reaming of all kinds.

I guess that's why you're the doctor.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
some actual home-grown OSHA: some gardener guys taking a break from trimming the tree across the street without any safety gear, having a smoke on top of the tree (note that the lighter & cigarette were thrown up there by his colleague) :no1:

climbing down after smoking:

I filmed the last part of climbing down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toeZ8JIzkUk

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
midazolam owns i got that + morphine when my dislocated shoulder got reset. In the US they did it with no pain relief but gave me a prescription for percocet after lol

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

What the hell? This sounds like a Black Mirror episode. For the dude who was awake: Did you feel it?

Yeah, I felt everything (or at least a hell of a lot) from when I came to. It was not pleasant.

Whatever they actually did to me to knock me out, they screwed up badly. gently caress that nurse and those docs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Less OSHA, more building-code violations, but...
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/5mb4g4/made_a_hidden_secret_staircase_to_access_my/

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Just wait until the right wing fire safety squads hear about this.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The one time I went under was probably twilight. I distinctly remember that when I was waking up, I was kind of annoyed these nurses were waking me up, I wanted to sleep more. (They were just "Okay, if that's what you need to do once we get this done we'll let you do that." and did their things and I stopped feeling so tired, so I'm guessing it's not an unusual reaction with how calm they were about it)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I got that but on an endoscopy. I guess I metabolized the anesthesia faster than they anticipated? Swallow reflex around that tube (oh ho ho) with the camera and whatever in it is not fun. Didn't panic though, so that was good, at least.

Like I said it's a balancing act. We want you to breath but be comfortable. We'd rather go light. But again I don't know if you got nurse sedation or proper propofol anesthesia.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wow, I never would have thought a total hip replacement would be done under anything other than general anesthesia.

I mean...there's hammering, and drilling, and reaming of all kinds.

I guess that's why you're the doctor.

Better than a doctor a CRNA. But yeah dude. It's loving nuts. First time I did that anesthetic it blew my mind. I did the spinal, then started my propofol drip on less than I would give for a colonoscopy, grandma just loving snoozed through the hammering and sawing, the sensory/pain block of the spinal is that profound.

Seriously though my first time doing that is what made me love anesthesia.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 6, 2017

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Beef-jerky plant employee fired after call to 911 over severed thumb

"The lawsuit said that when a band saw severed part of a worker’s right thumb in July 2014, his co-worker applied pressure to the wound while using her cell phone to call 911. But before responders could answer, Bachman allegedly ordered her to hang up, and she was fired two days later.

Instead of calling an ambulance, Bachman collected the severed part of Chris Crane’s thumb and told a supervisor to take him to an urgent care clinic. Crane was ultimately transferred to a hospital, where efforts to reattach the thumb were unsuccessful, the lawsuit said.

The co-worker, Michele Butler-Savage, told a U.S. agriculture inspector later that day that Bachman did not fully clean or sanitize the area of the plant where the accident happened. She also mentioned a lack of personal protective equipment. After she was fired, she filed a complaint with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which found the company violated federal whistleblower protections for workers who report violations of the law."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/beef-jerky-plant-employee-fired-after-severed-thumb-incident/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my taxi driver yesterday regaled me with the story of how when he was on a building site he had a load of steel dropped on his legs/hand and the scars on his hand to show it and while he was pulverised to the ground had the foreman tell him to stop smoking

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

That "bench" looks like it would collapse under the weight of an average Goon. I love the tiny brackets attaching it to the floor and the lack of bracing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PhotoKirk posted:

That "bench" looks like it would collapse under the weight of an average Goon. I love the tiny brackets attaching it to the floor and the lack of bracing.

I like the use of rotten reclaimed barnwood for a loving ladder that one one cares about.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

I own that ring.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lime Tonics posted:

Beef-jerky plant employee fired after call to 911 over severed thumb

"The lawsuit said that when a band saw severed part of a worker’s right thumb in July 2014, his co-worker applied pressure to the wound while using her cell phone to call 911. But before responders could answer, Bachman allegedly ordered her to hang up, and she was fired two days later.

Instead of calling an ambulance, Bachman collected the severed part of Chris Crane’s thumb and told a supervisor to take him to an urgent care clinic. Crane was ultimately transferred to a hospital, where efforts to reattach the thumb were unsuccessful, the lawsuit said.

The co-worker, Michele Butler-Savage, told a U.S. agriculture inspector later that day that Bachman did not fully clean or sanitize the area of the plant where the accident happened. She also mentioned a lack of personal protective equipment. After she was fired, she filed a complaint with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which found the company violated federal whistleblower protections for workers who report violations of the law."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/beef-jerky-plant-employee-fired-after-severed-thumb-incident/

Is it depressing when I'm absolutely shocked the authorities sided with the worker and the person who called 911 wasn't strung up on some sort of agricultural terrorism and spying charges and successfully sued by the company for damaging their reputation?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

terrenblade posted:

I own that ring.

Is it still attached to that finger?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Is it depressing when I'm absolutely shocked the authorities sided with the worker and the person who called 911 wasn't strung up on some sort of agricultural terrorism and spying charges and successfully sued by the company for damaging their reputation?

What the gently caress are you talking about? Has that ever happened?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

flosofl posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Has that ever happened?

Paranoia is a helluva thing.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I think the implication is that sometimes richs are better at winning lawsuits and laws in America.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

I think the implication is that sometimes richs are better at winning lawsuits and laws in America.

Good luck suing someone for calling 911 for an amputated fingat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
cyclists are gay and remove the seat before biking

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)