Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

According to Wookiepedia the Deathtroopers are an experiment in keeping troopers going after grevious injury, so they should be dead and their mechanical voices give the impression of also being part Droid.

I'm really dying to get stats for them, the U-wing and those Strikers. For now I figure you'd treat them as (I forget what they're called off the top of my head) next step up from minions.

Though unrelated are there stats for the ARC-170 fighter?

Same except I also hope FFG releases those new Rebel ships for X-Wing/Armada

Also its Nemesis IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

The FFG webstore accidently leaked the title and cover of the Consular sourcebook:

Bringing this over onto the new page. I'm a huge sucker for any and all career splats.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

The FFG webstore accidently leaked the title and cover of the Consular sourcebook:

Here we goooooo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I ran theough the EoTE beginner game what should I buy now

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

All of those

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Edge of the Empire Core and Fly Casual are the best of that line imo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

All of those

No, just get the cores for the games you care about. If a particular class strikes your fancy, consider maybe getting the book for it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
For our first post holiday Star Wars game, our GM replaced the usual word crawl with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIpBhcqMwI

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thomamelas posted:

For our first post holiday Star Wars game, our GM replaced the usual word crawl with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIpBhcqMwI

so how was bea arthur

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Which class should I pick for AOR? I'd like at least some combat and non-combat stuff. Leaning Tactician, Saboteur and Sharpshooter. The spies are cool conceptually but don't seem great mechanics-wise, with a big stat-spread and little combat ability.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

so how was bea arthur

Not bad. We got a couple of jokes about her ex husbands from her. The musical numbers worked out pretty well. We got bonus +XP for every musical number or variety skit we could work in for that session.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thomamelas posted:

Not bad. We got a couple of jokes about her ex husbands from her. The musical numbers worked out pretty well. We got bonus +XP for every musical number or variety skit we could work in for that session.

I can't tell if you're joking or not and if you are I don't want you to clarify it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not and if you are I don't want you to clarify it.

Nope. Just my GM's homage to the Star Wars Holiday Special. A quirky session in a other wise normal campaign.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Can someone give me good examples of things for slicers to do in combat? Things scattered around for them to she, etc.

Also a few good examples of a combat gimmick for a party would be great. Having trouble thinking of any.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So this looks really cool, a new adventure for FaD that is also heavy on Hutt underworld stuff: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/1/4/a-wretched-hive-of-scum-and-villainy/

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Can someone give me good examples of things for slicers to do in combat? Things scattered around for them to she, etc.

Also a few good examples of a combat gimmick for a party would be great. Having trouble thinking of any.

Anything R2 does in the movies or Chopper does in the Rebels TV show. Open/close doors, set off false alarms, turn the gravity on or off, fiddle with the lights, overload powered devices, the possibilities are basically endless.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

FishFood posted:

Anything R2 does in the movies or Chopper does in the Rebels TV show. Open/close doors, set off false alarms, turn the gravity on or off, fiddle with the lights, overload powered devices, the possibilities are basically endless.

And Rogue One did a good job of clarifying that there are cables that plug right into those SCOMP links.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Which class should I pick for AOR? I'd like at least some combat and non-combat stuff. Leaning Tactician, Saboteur and Sharpshooter. The spies are cool conceptually but don't seem great mechanics-wise, with a big stat-spread and little combat ability.

Without digging in too much, but you don't need much in terms of combat talents to be good enough in most combats. Did you want specific in-combat things to do other than "I shoot the gun", or just be useful?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

LOL

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/817064111599009792

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So quick question on the dice pools

What happens if a player only rolls advantage and threats with no success/fail/despair/triumph?

Does the action just fail?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Phi230 posted:

What happens if a player only rolls advantage and threats with no success/fail/despair/triumph?

Yeah pretty much. Then spend the leftover advantage or threat on stuff like bonus or penalty dice for the next attempt or something.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Phi230 posted:

Yeah, 0 net successes is a failure, the roll will still generate advantage/threat which can be spent as normal, the only exception is combat rolls, advantage can only be spent on weapon special qualities on a successful roll, but it can still be spent otherwise even on failure.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Which is the best part of the game - non-binary results.

Success with drawbacks
Success with advantages
Success with Awesome Triumphant Effects
Success with Catastrophic Setback
Failure with drawbacks
Failure with advantages
Failure with Awesome Triumphant Effects
Failure with Catastrophic Setback

It makes failure still an interesting option, unlike most games where failure is a "no" and can stop gameplay.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So as the GM what are good ways to spend adv/threat

As a player do I spend my adv/threat?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I tend to translate them out to blue/black dice in proceeding rolls and come up with some narrative reason (eg, clipped in the shoulder, pissed off the npc, etc) to justify it. I like to stack up the black dice on challenges, especially since my players have a lot of abilities that remove them. I'll also make threats translate to strain depending on the situation.

I also try to make sure that certain things take several turns to accomplish instead of just "you fix the hyperdrive."

EG, for slicing, I do this:

Every step starts with a base Computers(Int) Check.
1: Connect to the system. 3x Purp die, and you use blue die for ranks of Stealth (R1 = 1, R3 = 2, R5 = 3)
2: Locate Exploit. 4x Purp Die, blue die for ranks of Perception
3: Intrude on system. 5x Purps, blue die for ranks of Coercion
(Then at this point they can get whatever info they're after)
4: Cover Tracks. 5x Purp + 1x Red, blue die for ranks of Cunning

Similar stuff with repairs (eg, troubleshoot, find parts, attempt repair, etc) or tracking people. This gives them some incentive to improve other skills besides their core specialization ones, and lets me exploit weaknesses as the GM. Usually the rest of the team has to defend or support the characters performing the whatever-action.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 5, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The whole point of the success-advantage-failure-threat system is to condense something like that down to a single roll, which is one of the main selling points over, say, Shadowrun. Do what works for your game, but "I did what we needed but I tripped an alarm" is success with a despair/lots of threat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

One of my players gifted me Strongholds of Rebellion. Looks like it has some fun ideas. He strongly hinted that he'd like to see "Defiant Core Base," a partially reclaimed crashed Seperatust derilect supercapital ship. I'm game... Apropos of absolutely nothing, where could a guy find stats for B1 and B2 Battle Droids?

I have another player who expressed an interest in playing a Jedi, but when I explained for the purposes of AoR it was not a starting point but a lofty and dangerous goal she kind of shied away to be a regular fighter ace. I'm thinking of just foisting the Emergent specialization on her for free later in the campaign and tying her awakining into the story, and letting it be up to her what she does with her Force sensitivity, including refusing the call.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Phi230 posted:

So as the GM what are good ways to spend adv/threat

Conditional successes and conditional failures are really just the game's way of encouraging task-resolution that does not negate the premise.

As with a lot of modern games, it's just a way of litigating and encouraging the "yes, and..." style of GMing. You *could* do this in any system, of course, but it's good to be prompted.

At a basic level, what you're being prompted to say is:
success with advantage = "yes, and..."
success with threat = "yes, but..."
failure with advantage = "no, but..."
failure with threat = "no, and..."

As the GM, threat can be spent on any of the stuff within your control, so long as it doesn't directly negate the success/failure of the skill check. But really it's just an invitation to keep the narrative moving forward environmentally and circumstantially. Use it to change the terrain or layout of a battlefield, to increase stakes, to complicate the players' goals. If you get overwhelmed and can't think of anything cool along those lines, there are a few tables in the core books that offer generic options, like using advantage/threat to recover/inflict strain.

quote:

As a player do I spend my adv/threat?

The way we've been doing this is that, in general, the players will spend advantage and the GM will spend threat.

If a player can't think of anything to do with their advantage, then they can consult the tables for a generic mechanical effect or I can make something up for them

If a player has a cool or narrative-significant idea for what threat could be spent on - like something they want to happen to their characters for roleplay reasons - they can bring that up and it can replace whatever I was gonna do.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 6, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

One of my players gifted me Strongholds of Rebellion. Looks like it has some fun ideas. He strongly hinted that he'd like to see "Defiant Core Base," a partially reclaimed crashed Seperatust derilect supercapital ship. I'm game... Apropos of absolutely nothing, where could a guy find stats for B1 and B2 Battle Droids?

I have another player who expressed an interest in playing a Jedi, but when I explained for the purposes of AoR it was not a starting point but a lofty and dangerous goal she kind of shied away to be a regular fighter ace. I'm thinking of just foisting the Emergent specialization on her for free later in the campaign and tying her awakining into the story, and letting it be up to her what she does with her Force sensitivity, including refusing the call.

Ace + Force Emergent, shes going to be playing Luke so thats perfect imo.

Also I assumed antique droid stats that are in the base book are basically the stats for the B1 droids.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Enhance Ace is good poo poo. If she never wants to pick up a lightsaber add on Warrior Starfighter Ace and just be the baddest motherfucker ever to don a flightsuit.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
We had two players have to duck out of the first session of the campaign at the last minute due to work schedule changes, so I basically had to scrap my original first session plan (as those characters had been important to it) and pull a completely different one out of my rear end in about fifteen minutes. My players came out of it satisfied, though, so I'm satisfied.

They ended up rescuing a Rebel-aligned arms dealer (and, more importantly, their cargo of explosives) from an Imperial customs inspection team. A pretty straightforward operation, except that they also managed to steal an armored personnel carrier, kidnapped one of the inspectors, and blew up a mining-supply warehouse, none of which I had planned for.

The party's pilot was one of the people missing, so their getaway transport was provided by an alien named 'B̧͟͢͏͍̤̫͉͔̟̳̱̰͓͍i̴̶͚̱͓̘̖̙͚͚͈̦̳̹͔͙̹͙̘͜ĺ̷̟̞̝͍̺͖̘̦͚̪̘̦̼̦͚̩̰̰l͈͔̪̝͙͕̙͔̬̕ͅ' who understands everyone fine but speaks entirely in tentacle-faced gibberish. He/it was intended to be a one-off, but they liked B̧͟͢͏͍̤̫͉͔̟̳̱̰͓͍i̴̶͚̱͓̘̖̙͚͚͈̦̳̹͔͙̹͙̘͜ĺ̷̟̞̝͍̺͖̘̦͚̪̘̦̼̦͚̩̰̰l͈͔̪̝͙͕̙͔̬̕ͅ enough that he's probably going to end up being a recurring character.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So Thursday night I ran my first game of Age of Rebellion for my group. I gave them a YT-2400 Outrider they named The Holdout, and are designated Maven Cell and is composed of

G3-TH-Was part of an Imperial research program to create a battle droid to defeat the Rebellion by any means. When it was brought online it came to the conclusion that the only way to defeat the Rebellion was to take down the Empire. It escaped the lab, and blew up a supply depot before defecting to the Rebellion. They have fitted him with a restraining bolt in case he's a trap

Ander'ekk'asian "Rekkai" - Alias Vaquesai' Zado' Redera "Izander"- A Chiss spy formerly of Imperial Intelligence, after unwittingly witnessing the Destabilization Branch commit a war crime, he fled from Imperial service and after the destruction of Alderaan joined up with the Rebellion using the cover identity of a mercenary that he formerly used under the Empire.

Belal Paric- Formerly a middle manager in the Imperial Diplomatic corp he defected to the Rebellion following the destruction of Alderaan where he went to school.

Kaz Bri'Ghon- A squadron leader of an Imperial backed planetary militia whose squad was wiped out during a Rebel raid on a near by Imperial Supply depot , she was left for dead in space after her fighter was disabled. After several days she was rescued by an Alliance patrol and defected.

Tarnak Scrimp- A Mon Calamari born in space and into the Rebellion, is completely devoted to the cause and desires peace.

Episode 0 involved them ambushing an Imperial Army patrol. After blowing up the tank they are left with the infantry that was accompanying them, where after dealing with them they will hopefully escape and be given the briefing for their first "real" mission

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I hope you either gave G3-TH's player bonus xp or a hard slap in the face

maybe both

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

wiegieman posted:

The whole point of the success-advantage-failure-threat system is to condense something like that down to a single roll, which is one of the main selling points over, say, Shadowrun. Do what works for your game, but "I did what we needed but I tripped an alarm" is success with a despair/lots of threat.

It definitely depends on the situation. I like a lot of the "Hurry, they're coming/gaining on us/whatever" tropish stuff because it lets me cut back and forth. Sometimes I'll just go with "someone left themselves logged in" or poo poo like having my mechanic roll two triumphs on a repair check to start an AT-ST.... "It's just cold and needs to warm up, nothing else wrong at all."

That you can scale things so easily and play with the dice mechanic and it still works is what I really like about this system.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I hope you either gave G3-TH's player bonus xp or a hard slap in the face

maybe both

I did give him 25 XP and loved the pun

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Just watched Rebels... isn't there an adventure module that deals with Geonosis?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The extended version of the teemo the hut eote starter adventure, yes. It'll be very hard to keep that canon with rebels though!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there a stat block anywhere for one of these? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Troop_Transport

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Is there a stat block anywhere for one of these? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Troop_Transport

Pretty sure they're in that free Rebels Unofficial sourcebook someone put out.

For reference its:
Silhouette 3, Speed 3, Handling -1, Hard Points 0
Armour 3, Defense 0/-/-/0, Hull Trauma 12, System Strain 9
Twin Medium Laser Cannon (Arcs: All) Dmg 6, Crit 3
2x Light Laser Cannon (Arcs: Front) Dmg 5, Crit 3

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Foolster41 posted:

I'm actually working on a ship generator program using this now, though it's going to be a while until I finish it.

I'm way behind reading this thread, but did you ever finish this?