Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was gonna complain, but then i remembered that this is effectively the garbage internet fiction thread anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well in that case, can I say that I'm really loving sick of the entire concept of "*insert generic shonen hero* is arbitrarily ~BETRAYED~ by his so-called friends and proceeds to gently caress off and train and become a Generic Badass"?

It's everywhere in fanfiction, christ.

EDIT: Also don't even get me started on how so many people seem to think the more :words: the better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Well in that case, can I say that I'm really loving sick of the entire concept of "*insert generic shonen hero* is arbitrarily ~BETRAYED~ by his so-called friends and proceeds to gently caress off and train and become a Generic Badass"?

It's everywhere in fanfiction, christ.

it is everywhere in web novels, too. that concept is very appealing to teenagers, i guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I think people in general, but especially teenagers, like reading about stories where people betray the protagonist and then the protagonist gets revenge on them later. Like, they love to hate the antagonists. Sort of like that Shield Hero web comic, only replace "friends" with "women who aren't the protagonist's slaves."

Shukaro posted:

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is another very readable english Harry Potter fanfic that also happens to be complete.

I tried reading that some and was under the impression it was well known because of how bad it was. Like, Harry Potter in that series is like some parody of how terrible ~rationalists~ view themselves, only I imagine it's supposed to be taken unironically given the author is the LessWrong guy.

What I like about that D&D/Harry Potter fanfiction is that the protagonist isn't some brilliant badass and has real flaws and frequently makes mistakes.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
If we're talking about Harry Potter fanfic then you should read this series. It's fanfic in that it's set in the same world as Harry Potter but the characters are entirely original and it's set starting in 2007 I think. Very good but the author stopped after finishing the 4th book and has had "writer's block" since then. Still a great read imo.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
This thread is really going places.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Backing away from Harry Potter fanfiction, let me recommend a Chinese web novel that's essentially fanfiction of being the author of famous (primarily Chinese) poetry and prose, I'm Really a Superstar. The translation level is really high.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Krunge posted:

Backing away from Harry Potter fanfiction, let me recommend a Chinese web novel that's essentially fanfiction of being the author of famous (primarily Chinese) poetry and prose, I'm Really a Superstar. The translation level is really high.

To clarify, the basic premise is the MC gets transported into an alternative world that doesn't have a number of seminal works along with a game system that lets him work toward his dream of being a superstar. He basically plagiarizes a variety of works from his own world and republishes them in the alternative world and gets halted as a genius.

...It didn't really hold my interest, but I suppose if you're into that sort of thing, it's an alright read.

As for what I've been reading, other than stuff like My Disciple and Demon Girl and World of Cultivation and other works that've already been mentioned in this thread, I've been reading:

Single Player Only, a series about malware in the form of a game that slowly changes the real world to be more game-like while the game itself becomes more realistic, and the guy stuck playing it and struggling through deadly challenges.

Speaking of deadly challenges, The Tutorial is Too Hard is about getting whisked away to a "tutorial" setting that teaches you abilities that can be used in the real world. Except that this guy picks the Hell difficulty and is stuck in it.

Miniature Garden Chemister is a cute story about a cute girl who basically gets a magical home with garden and a cheat alchemist ability. But she has no combat skills and is really scared of monsters.

The Latest Game is Too Amazing is about a guy who plays a new virtual reality MMORPG, but doesn't realize that every time he logs in it takes him to another world, who inhabitants tend to find his game-like abilities quite weird. Since he can log out just fine, he thinks he's just playing an amazingly realistic game.

Speaking of virtual reality MMORPGs, The Taming Master is.. okay. It doesn't have the MC mistreating people and pets for no good reason like a certain sculptor, but it does have him getting stupidly lucky and gaining levels at an absurd rate. Mostly I'm just enjoying it for the bond between him and his pets.

Speaking of other okay stories, The Strategy to Become Good at Magic is about an amusingly scheming girl who does things like charging to stay in the monster infested forest and training a prince to sneak and steal.

And that's just about all I see fit to mention for. Oh, yeah, and the Way of Choices is as great as people've been saying.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was gonna complain, but then i remembered that this is effectively the garbage internet fiction thread anyway.

the only real difference is that the fanfiction is mostly written by women rather than men and has a different set of incredibly common garbage elements

fewer rapist heroes

sadly, only fewer

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kaja Rainbow posted:

A bunch of recs

Most of the recommendations are really interesting! Sadly, the same ones also appear to have only a handful of chapters translated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wouldn't really call the mc of taming master unnaturally lucky, or at least not exceptionally so for the genre. instead, he fiddled around and figured out some incredibly exploitable aspects of a newly released class that has huge balance problems. in theory, the regular version of that class (as opposed to the mc's super special unique snowflake version, which he has because this is still a dumb trashy wn) can get broken evolved pets too, albeit much more slowly. it could easily be more ridiculous, like if tamers were coincidentally a bow class which would allow him to use all of his prior experience and skills on top of the new stuff. instead he mostly flails away with any lovely melee weapons that have pet bonuses without getting so much as a passive for them from his class.

all that only applies to game mechanics, though. the bit about a local coed wooing the game-addict shut-in because of one good in-game party makes me roll my eyes pretty darn hard.

i like taming master. there are some stakes involved, but mostly it is just the story of a huge nerd playing a vrmmo way too much.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

UberJew posted:

the only real difference is that the fanfiction is mostly written by women rather than men

It depends on the subject material. It tends to be really obvious as to whether what you're reading was written by a teenage girl or a teenage boy.

Like if you want to experience the deepest hells of the internet, go check up Infinite Stratos or some other harem anime fanfiction. More OCs than a mere mortal could ever possibly imagine.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, the list of the top ten LNs in Japan last year was interesting:

1 - KonoSuba
2 - Grimgar
3 - SAO
4 - Re:Zero
5 - Overlord
6 - Mahouka
7 - Gate
8 - Danmachi
9 - Honzuki no Gekokujou
10 - Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken

Some of the stuff on here is actually good.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

The Sandman posted:

So, the list of the top ten LNs in Japan last year was interesting:

From what I understand, this is just a single Akihabara bookstore's sales ranking, so it's not quite "in Japan".

The data from Oricon is probably more universal:

Light Novel Sales by Series
*1. *1,417,661 Kimi no Na wa.
*2. *1,174,562 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
*3. *1,020,673 Sword Art Online
*4. *1,007,381 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
*5. **,711,154 Overlord
*6. **,602,256 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
*7. **,562,187 No Game No Life
*8. **,450,791 Monogatari Series
*9. **,449,192 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka
10. **,435,482 Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu Series

11. **,422,569 Boukyaku Tantei Series
12. **,380,144 Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
13. **,361,088 Sword Art Online: Progressive
14. **,294,478 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
15. **,292,746 Bungou Stray Dogs "Dazai Osamu no Nyuusha Shiken"
16. **,287,728 Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut
17. **,282,826 Kimi no Na wa. Another Side: Earthbound
18. **,282,077 Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja Nai to Omotta?
19. **,281,195 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index
20. **,256,782 Haikyuu!! Shousetsu-ban!!

21. **,236,127 Kagerou Daze
22. **,225,229 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Spin-off
23. **,195,199 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
24. **,185,710 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
25. **,181,314 Ensemble Stars!
26. **,180,275 Imouto sae Ireba Ii.
27. **,174,175 Orange
28. **,168,542 Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
29. **,163,829 Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records
30. **,162,562 Date A Live

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Sandman posted:

1 - KonoSuba
2 - Grimgar
3 - SAO
4 - Re:Zero
5 - Overlord
6 - Mahouka
7 - Gate
8 - Danmachi
9 - Honzuki no Gekokujou
10 - Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
Hm, nearly all of em used a fantasy setting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well I'm glad Konosuba is killing it because it deserves it.

More LNs should follow its example and give the MC an actual personality. The Megumin spinoff was torture because the story just wasn't the same without Kazuma and Aqua spicing things up.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Miniature Garden Chemister is a cute story about a cute girl who basically gets a magical home with garden and a cheat alchemist ability. But she has no combat skills and is really scared of monsters.

I just read all of this and that was really cute indeed. Basically an Atelier setting. Super Cute. Then she buys a slave :suicide: Still so far it's only in a cute way. But whyyyy japan whyyyyyyy.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Captain_duck posted:

I just read all of this and that was really cute indeed. Basically an Atelier setting. Super Cute. Then she buys a slave :suicide: Still so far it's only in a cute way. But whyyyy japan whyyyyyyy.

Yeah, that bothered me too. But it looks like she's going to eventually be abolishing slavery, maybe, given how she got a quest to eradicate the slave curse and seemed to be interested in doing it.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Krunge posted:

Note, if you're going to read a chapter that was originally deleted from qidan I'd recommend you don't. The MC originally gets ALL kinds of rapey with the girls in his life. Like, no actual rape but drat if it doesn't count as sexual assault in some fashion.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

FriggenJ posted:

Note, if you're going to read a chapter that was originally deleted from qidan I'd recommend you don't. The MC originally gets ALL kinds of rapey with the girls in his life. Like, no actual rape but drat if it doesn't count as sexual assault in some fashion.

Yeah, forgot to mention those. Thankfully they affect the story 0% and the author himself is editing his own story to remove them. The translator is keeping them for some reason, but at least they're clearly marked and skippable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one thing that kills my interest in crappy wn's is when they become completely dedicated to sucking off the mc. like, paradise of demons and gods started out okay-ish, but it eventually went into 50 straight chapters of everyone alive gushing about how wonderful the mc is. it showed no signs of stopping any time soon when i dropped it, too. how loving fragile does your ego have to be to write that kind of crap?

but anyway, superstar's entire premise seems to be about that kind of garbage.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

At this point I'm mostly reading superstar for the weird conflicted ideals. Every plot line is basically the protagonist talking poo poo about authority figures and then getting vindicated but it's extremely nationalistic. It's not really a good thing but it's interesting I guess? I don't think I can properly explain why it appeals to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we all have our own tastes in garbage fiction

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Well I'm glad Konosuba is killing it because it deserves it.

More LNs should follow its example and give the MC an actual personality. The Megumin spinoff was torture because the story just wasn't the same without Kazuma and Aqua spicing things up.

Both the MC and side characters for that matter. I can't really think of any other Aqua-like characters in typical LNs. (edit: Aqua owns and is the source for probably 80+% of the "laugh out loud" moments for me, with Megumin causing most of the other ones.)

one thing that kills my interest in crappy wn's is when they become completely dedicated to sucking off the mc. like, paradise of demons and gods started out okay-ish, but it eventually went into 50 straight chapters of everyone alive gushing about how wonderful the mc is. it showed no signs of stopping any time soon when i dropped it, too. how loving fragile does your ego have to be to write that kind of crap?

This is the issue I had with Sevens; I liked the premise and I really liked his ancestors, but I couldn't deal with the protagonist's giant harem of women who think he's awesome.

(Speaking of Sevens, I had forgotten the title and typed "Japanese web novel ancestors" into Google and it was the first result. Google is smart.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 6, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
11. *9,297 *,*34,026 Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Vol.5

We are so doomed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Both the MC and side characters for that matter. I can't really think of any other Aqua-like characters in typical LNs. (edit: Aqua owns and is the source for probably 80+% of the "laugh out loud" moments for me, with Megumin causing most of the other ones.)

This is the issue I had with Sevens; I liked the premise and I really liked his ancestors, but I couldn't deal with the protagonist's giant harem of women who think he's awesome.

(Speaking of Sevens, I had forgotten the title and typed "Japanese web novel ancestors" into Google and it was the first result. Google is smart.)

hestia is also an awful idiot who fucks everything up, but that's not what those books are going for.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

11. *9,297 *,*34,026 Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Vol.5

We are so doomed.

arifureta loses all of its charm with a comprehensible translation. it needs that extra level of obfuscation to be funny.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Did we read the same thing because most of the main girls think he's pretty loving dumb. :v:

One of the reasons I even like reading Sevens is because it actually approaches the concept of harems from the perspective of the girls too. Not exactly amazingly mind you (I say main girls because there are totally are a few side girls who don't have much characterization since they came in late), but enough that I would consider it a plus.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

darkgray posted:

From what I understand, this is just a single Akihabara bookstore's sales ranking, so it's not quite "in Japan".

The data from Oricon is probably more universal:

Light Novel Sales by Series
*1. *1,417,661 Kimi no Na wa.
*2. *1,174,562 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
*3. *1,020,673 Sword Art Online
*4. *1,007,381 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
*5. **,711,154 Overlord
*6. **,602,256 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
*7. **,562,187 No Game No Life
*8. **,450,791 Monogatari Series
*9. **,449,192 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka
10. **,435,482 Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu Series

11. **,422,569 Boukyaku Tantei Series
12. **,380,144 Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
13. **,361,088 Sword Art Online: Progressive
14. **,294,478 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
15. **,292,746 Bungou Stray Dogs "Dazai Osamu no Nyuusha Shiken"
16. **,287,728 Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut
17. **,282,826 Kimi no Na wa. Another Side: Earthbound
18. **,282,077 Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja Nai to Omotta?
19. **,281,195 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index
20. **,256,782 Haikyuu!! Shousetsu-ban!!

21. **,236,127 Kagerou Daze
22. **,225,229 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Spin-off
23. **,195,199 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
24. **,185,710 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
25. **,181,314 Ensemble Stars!
26. **,180,275 Imouto sae Ireba Ii.
27. **,174,175 Orange
28. **,168,542 Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
29. **,163,829 Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records
30. **,162,562 Date A Live

The fact that Honzuki didn't make this list makes me sad.

That Mahouka and SAO are as high as they are is infuriating.

And it appears that Makoto Shinkai, not content merely with cinema, is making a play at dominating all forms of Japanese media.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Sandman posted:

The fact that Honzuki didn't make this list makes me sad.

That Mahouka and SAO are as high as they are is infuriating.

Uh, last I checked Honzuki doesn't have a male protagonist who is awesome and has a harem of people who love him. Clearly it is an inferior story.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I'm surprised DanMachi is as far up the list as it is, even though I enjoy it. Yen Press released volume 7 recently, and it went a little off the rails from where I thought the series was going. I don't want it to continue in that direction, even if it tried to burn the path any further to the ground.

Glad KonoSuba is crushing most everything else, though. Looking forward to supporting that.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The cicada gets reborn as a dragon

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Is an amazing story that could double as an disney/ghibli movie.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Captain_duck posted:

Is an amazing story that could double as an disney/ghibli movie.

I cried at the end I'll be honest

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Er Gen's Xian Ni(Renegade Immortal) is far more comprehensible now, after a semi-competent retranslation. It's still almost impossible to sympathise with the protagonist, who's like an evil, more boring version of Meng Hao, but the story becomes markedly better after the corpse sect.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd been reading LNs off and on for years, but after reading Kumo Desu Ga and a couple others I've been solidly hooked by the really trashy web novel stuff. Now I'm reading stuff in the original Japanese and have a reading list on Narou as long as my arm that I have no chance of getting through in this lifetime.

There is seriously so much stuff (mostly poo poo) on Narou that doesn't even get listed on Novelupdates, much less gets an actual English translation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
heck yeah, reddit translated volume 18 of mahouka. now if you will excuse me, i need to go roll around in a tub full of raw sewage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

heck yeah, reddit translated volume 18 of mahouka. now if you will excuse me, i need to go roll around in a tub full of raw sewage.

So what does reddit think of Mahouka. Do they also think it's terrible or do they actually like it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So what does reddit think of Mahouka. Do they also think it's terrible or do they actually like it?

i don't actually read reddit. i google "mahouka volume 18" periodically and this time a reddit thread popped up. however, i think we all know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Wallow in that poo poo like a pig. When the bar is as low as reddit, you know that terrible people would show up proclaiming their love for terrible poo poo.