Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Chalks posted:

These are rather hard to follow, but I think I misunderstood one of Derek's earlier posts. When he said 50% of their total fund-raising last year was running costs, I assumed that was overall, but the graphics imply that 50% of their total funding was for UK based expenses only? Is that true? Do we have any data on the running costs of other parts of the business?

All we really "know" in terms of revenue and production expenditure for the year ended 31 December 2015 are:

£23m - total income from "pledges" (SC chart figure)
£15m - verified UK expenses on 130 employee business.
£??m - 170? employees in United States. Consider cost of 130 in the UK.
£??m - Illfonic? to late 2015ish?
£??m - Turbulent?
£??m - other subcontractors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Sappo569 posted:

Someone with a twitter ask bandit loaf what he has to show for the 10k people gave him

I have, multiple times

Guess what kind of response I got

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

They need to do a mousepad of the city where everything is archered and there is some guy in a business suit.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

Cool. Mousepads. They've finally produced something everyone.

Shows over, product is done.

Notice the sneaking in of yet another previously unseen item of Restoration Hardware.

I don't recall ever seeing that table in any of their dumb marketting before.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...n/#66b6bfc4101b

quote:

Elite Dangerous, otherwise known as the No Man’s Sky that’s actually good, or the Star Citizen that’s actually out, is making headlines for a rather cool reason as of last night.

lol

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

shrach posted:

All we really "know" in terms of revenue and production expenditure for the year ended 31 December 2015 are:

£23m - total income from "pledges" (SC chart figure)
£15m - verified UK expenses on 130 employee business.
£??m - 170? employees in United States. Consider cost of 130 in the UK.
£??m - Illfonic? to late 2015ish?
£??m - Turbulent?
£??m - other subcontractors?

That US cost would include the two Crobbers who alone are going to be getting paid 3 million. Plus expenditures.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Lmao, whoever wrote that is a loving superstar. :D

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Strawman posted:

technically speaking - the SC's gameplay based on PBR in the dynamic lighting environment is a mind-blowing tech. Nothing of the current over-hyped FPS games can be evenly compared to it. Not even closely.

Pabst's Blue Ribbon? The only way you could get me to play...

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
According to the accounts of Cloud Imperium Games UK LTD. On 1 July 2015 they finalised the transaction for £1,359,185 worth of intellectual property. However, at some point (presumably after purchasing it) they then sold £654,612 worth of this IP while it still retained its full value to them. Does anyone have any recollection or an idea what this this could relate to? Did they announce the purchase of any IP around this time?

My complete guess would be that this in some way relates to motion capture/image rights paid to acting talent and possibly the re-sale of these rights to ?? to use these rights without diminishing their value to CIG UK LTD. This is a complete guess. None of this really makes sense to me. I don't think it can relate directly to any of the US companies or Chris himself. Ortwin's company maybe. I don't know. It's possible the figure is exactly half but with an exchange rate difference, but it sill wouldn't make sense how they sold 50% of the IP while keeping hold of 100% of the value of the IP that they just purchased.

Curious side effect of this IP sale/profit is that with standard expenses of ~£50k offset by this receipt for £650k their accounts show administration expenses of -£600k. Yes, their expenses show an increase to their profit because why not format it like that?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I asked him about the scans. See what happens.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strawman posted:

technically speaking - the SC's gameplay based on PBR in the dynamic lighting environment is a mind-blowing tech. Nothing of the current over-hyped FPS games can be evenly compared to it. Not even closely.

The Division does, and it has the benefit of being released and 'a game'.

I'll throw out that at least three titles in development are much better. And I'll leave it there.

Edit: 'Pipeline Based Rendering'

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Samizdata posted:

I asked him about the scans. See what happens.

All hands on deck to get 3.0 out the door guys sorry I just don't have time to scam scan those precious works of art

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao a $35 mousepad for a place that isn't in the game yet and won't be for years. If I didn't know any better I'd say this is peak Star Citizen.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

shrach posted:

According to the accounts of Cloud Imperium Games UK LTD. On 1 July 2015 they finalised the transaction for £1,359,185 worth of intellectual property. However, at some point (presumably after purchasing it) they then sold £654,612 worth of this IP while it still retained its full value to them. Does anyone have any recollection or an idea what this this could relate to? Did they announce the purchase of any IP around this time?

My complete guess would be that this in some way relates to motion capture/image rights paid to acting talent and possibly the re-sale of these rights to ?? to use these rights without diminishing their value to CIG UK LTD. This is a complete guess. None of this really makes sense to me. I don't think it can relate directly to any of the US companies or Chris himself. Ortwin's company maybe. I don't know. It's possible the figure is exactly half but with an exchange rate difference, but it sill wouldn't make sense how they sold 50% of the IP while keeping hold of 100% of the value of the IP that they just purchased.

Curious side effect of this IP sale/profit is that with standard expenses of ~£50k offset by this receipt for £650k their accounts show administration expenses of -£600k. Yes, their expenses show an increase to their profit because why not format it like that?

That was the sale by CR of a new idea and the subsequent purchase by CIG

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I decided to watch Mitauchi or something streaming Star Marine last night because I budget my time extremely poorly and holy poo poo that ttk is loving terrible.

It takes like 10 minutes to kill anyone.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
But it's ok, Twitch chat assured me this is more tactical and I'm just an idiot who doesn't get it.

(The streamer was actually a cool dude about it, and was responding to stuff I said without losing his poo poo like everyone in chat)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

That was the sale by CR of a new idea and the subsequent purchase by CIG

My idea was better and was a lot cheaper as I use real currencies like dollars.

More seriously; IP? Could he have sold off his overall vision?

Re: Accounts; you really should also be looking at where the refunds were coming from, as they're not isolated.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The reason why TTK is horrible in SM isnt because its more tactical, its because of horrible hit detection and networking issues.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The reason why TTK is horrible in SM isnt because its more tactical, its because of horrible hit detection and networking issues.

They got really mad and said it was more tactical because you don't just die because someone sees you first.

I guess the idea of maneuvering and flanking being a strategy is lost on Citizens.

Also they said it was because of ARMOR. I guess we also forgot how to make armor piercing rounds in this IMMERSIVE future.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I wonder how they reconcile that notion with the fact that “tactical” FPSes (anything from Rainbow 6 to ARMA) tend to have one-hit-kills for almost every weapon available, if employed correctly…

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Chairman Wao posted:

But it's ok, Twitch chat assured me this is more tactical and I'm just an idiot who doesn't get it.

(The streamer was actually a cool dude about it, and was responding to stuff I said without losing his poo poo like everyone in chat)

mitauchi is the only reasonable star citizen streamer, he justifiably understands why people are pissed with CIG, as I suspect he is too, but he's still drinking the koolaid unfortunately.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Tippis posted:

I wonder how they reconcile that notion with the fact that “tactical” FPSes (anything from Rainbow 6 to ARMA) tend to have one-hit-kills for almost every weapon available, if employed correctly…

They don't. I asked what FPS games any of them had played recently. The only answer I got was from one guy who said he'd been playing FPS games since DOOM on LAN. So nobody answered after everybody seemed to engaged in the conversation before.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/816818686606581760

What's your strategy?*

*Not actual game play footage

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Chairman Wao posted:

I guess we also forgot how to make armor piercing rounds in this IMMERSIVE future.

Available in the RSI store soon
"Armour piercing rounds : 1000 UEC per mag"

"Tired of never getting penetration commando?"

"Does your bullet tip lack punch?

"Do other commandoes shrug off your attempts to leave them with a rusty bullet hole?"

etc :)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

AP posted:

What's your strategy?*

well that seemed to be neither, walking up behind someone down the middle of a broad, brightly lit, deserted deck isn't really stealth, even if they're facing the other way. And it's not all guns blazing, because there are no guns, they do a stealth style takedown after unstealthily walking up behind someone without any regard to cover, strategy or, well, stealth

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

What's your strategy?*

Still working on the Homestead level I see. Also loving :laffo: that the dead desert commando immediately drops into a horizontal t-pose and then the "oh I'm dead" sound plays.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Sabreseven posted:

Available in the RSI store soon
"Armour piercing rounds : 1000 UEC per mag"

"Tired of never getting penetration commando?"

"Does your bullet tip lack punch?

"Do other commandoes shrug off your attempts to leave them with a rusty bullet hole?"

etc :)

Dang, you're right. CIG is always five steps ahead.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chairman Wao posted:

Dang, you're right. CIG is always five steps ahead.

Or in front depending on your location

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Did the layoffs happen yet?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

peter gabriel posted:

Depends on the spaghetto code latency, basically.

Can't wait for the new shows.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Hav posted:

My idea was better and was a lot cheaper as I use real currencies like dollars.

More seriously; IP? Could he have sold off his overall vision?

Re: Accounts; you really should also be looking at where the refunds were coming from, as they're not isolated.

The IP couldn't have been from/to Chris.

My assumption on refunds is that they are all accounted for by Roberts Space Industries Corporation. Where actual cash funds are refunded by a different company, they are done so on their behalf and sorted out in some fashion later by a loan account.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

CIG should transform UEC into a cryptocurrency

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
They still send me news letters for some reason.

Beginner’s Guide to Star Citizen

Did you struggle to explain Star Citizen to a friend or loved one over the holidays? If so, you’re not alone. Star Citizen’s scale, open development and constantly evolving state are difficult to describe, so we’ve done it for you. Go here to have the game broken down into digestible details and to watch a new “What is Star Citizen?” video featuring Chris Roberts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJx4TdshFA

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Note: They use footage from back like 2012 in that video clip.

I like the last line. It's delivered with such confidence.

And I'llll seeee youuuu, in the verse. .o0(Maybe? Hopefully? Please?)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well, yeah, it is difficult to explain this clusterfuck to someone that hasn't been following it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"How's the space game we've paid $140 million for coming along? Can I fly my ship yet? Are there different planets to go to?"
"Better than that. Look, here's someone in a desert being stabbed in the throat!"

I cannot imagine how someone with money still in this wreck wouldn't take one look at that clip and say "loving hell, I need to get a refund NOW."

e: That "What is Star Citizen" video. loving hell. The first line gives away what a lying sack of poo poo Roberts is. "Star Citizen is..." No, it isn't. Isn't that blatant false advertising? He's clearly saying the game has 100s of solar systems when it has maybe one if you're being generous.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 6, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

They still send me news letters for some reason.

Beginner’s Guide to Star Citizen

Did you struggle to explain Star Citizen to a friend or loved one over the holidays? If so, you’re not alone. Star Citizen’s scale, open development and constantly evolving state are difficult to describe, so we’ve done it for you. Go here to have the game broken down into digestible details and to watch a new “What is Star Citizen?” video featuring Chris Roberts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJx4TdshFA

I get that it's supposed to be a sizzle real and the goal is to get people to buy the game, but that's all mostly a blend of poo poo that A) isn't in the game yet or B) is old footage that has been refactored since we first saw it. How disappointed would you be if you watched that and decided to buy the game and give it a shot?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

peter gabriel posted:

Let me do the 64 bit calculations and get back to you on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Tbh it's silly to complain about the mousepad: it is the woman's job and doesn't impact dev resources at all.

And I gotta admit it's pretty cool, to a certain extent. Another positive point is that it's so generic sci-fi, that I can boast it's a limited Stellaris or Star Wars edition or something, thus hiding my shame for giving ger money in the first place.

edit: annoyed catte

JugbandDude fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 6, 2017