Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Keegers posted:

If they made an eve anime which faction would our hero originate?

Caldari. If there's something animes love, it's Japanese nationalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

stale meme dot png posted:

:discourse:

Seriously though Anime is garbage.

mlyp

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dalael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLRpi2_QdA0<--- Sub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1sFM1eaicE<-- Dub. but you're a horrible person if you watch it this way.

why do anime nerds care about dub or sub? is it about artistic vision of the original squeeky voice acter for your underage waifu or what?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Most people don't. Its generally for a given anime there is one definitively better version most times. Sometimes both are p good tho.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rhymenoserous posted:

why do anime nerds care about dub or sub? is it about artistic vision of the original squeeky voice acter for your underage waifu or what?

The translation is often horrible and often doesn't fit the image. Its the same thing for movies or shows that are translated. I watch everything in its original language. Its also helpful for learning a new language. I know a lot of people who are now fluent in japanese simply because they watched way too much anime with subtitles.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Dalael posted:

I know a lot of people who are now fluent in japanese simply because they watched way too much anime with subtitles.

no you don't

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

SperginMcBadposter posted:

no you don't you idiot

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Rhymenoserous posted:

Not a huge anime nerd, but read the first two pages of this:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/true-tales-from-localization-hell/

It's an article/interview about dubbing Final Fantasy X to English, and the challenges of it -- the time pressures, why dubbing is significantly harder than just translating it, how a lot of cultural cues and little character quirks/tics have to be translated (or dropped on the floor), and how you end up with abominations like the FFX laughing scene.

Same poo poo for anime, I imagine, except worse, because it's probably being done on a shoestring budget. I imagine that there's not really a ton of nerds buying anime DVDs in the US anymore, so the only real payoff for professional dubbing will be "maybe we can sell the dub to Cartoon Network in a few years."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

please be good to one another

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dalael posted:

The translation is often horrible and often doesn't fit the image. Its the same thing for movies or shows that are translated. I watch everything in its original language. Its also helpful for learning a new language. I know a lot of people who are now fluent in japanese simply because they watched way too much anime with subtitles.

lol

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Actually, yes I do. 2 of them who are fluent and a 3rd who knows enough japanese to be loving annoying about it, always explaining the difference between san, chan and I forget the others cuz I don't pay attention to him.

You have clearly never seen an american movie translated to french. Quebec french to be more precise. It's really bad.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Dalael posted:

Actually, yes I do. 2 of them who are fluent and a 3rd who knows enough japanese to be loving annoying about it, always explaining the difference between san, chan and I forget the others cuz I don't pay attention to him.

nah you know a couple of people that know how to speak only in cliche anime dialogue

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

SperginMcBadposter posted:

nah you know a couple of people that know how to speak only in cliche anime dialogue

Dude stfu. Not only do you not know me, but you don't know them.

E: Although what you said could be applied to the 3rd person.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rawhide 'kobayashi' ken: I'm fluent in english from watching all of the big bang theory, bazinga-des~

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its actually a p common thing to watch foreign language shows when learning another language, i think some goons are getting too caught up their anime hate to make fun of something thats actually done tbqh

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Dalael posted:

You have clearly never seen an american movie translated to french. Quebec french to be more precise. It's really bad.

Subtitled films are a great language learning aid but if they are no bullshit fluent they put in a lot more effort than just watching subtitled anime.

So either they studied it for real or they are deluded.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just speak english and a bit of spanish tho

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also im not sure dalael ever said they only watched anime to learn japanese either tho.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Who needs subtitles or even the Japanese language when Crispin Freeman does Alucard anyway. :swoon:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Discussion Quorum posted:

Subtitled films are a great language learning aid but if they are no bullshit fluent they put in a lot more effort than just watching subtitled anime.

So either they studied it for real or they are deluded.

As far as I know, neither one of the 2 has taken japanese language courses. I may be wrong tho. If they did, it was long after having learnt enough of the language to be annoying about it.

eonwe posted:

its actually a p common thing to watch foreign language shows when learning another language, i think some goons are getting too caught up their anime hate to make fun of something thats actually done tbqh

Pretty much yeah.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

eonwe posted:

also im not sure dalael ever said they only watched anime to learn japanese either tho.

really?

Dalael posted:

I know a lot of people who are now fluent in japanese simply because they watched way too much anime with subtitles.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

There's a difference between watching anime TO learn a language, and learning a language by watching too much anime.
In their cases, its the latter. They watched so much of it, they ended up learning it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
If the translations are terrible wouldn't the subs be just as bad? What's the advantage of reading a bad translation vs hearing it spoken?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this thread made me laugh at work thanks guys

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I shot dreads last night in MY PROTEUS and yelled at some dude for talking about capswarm pings outside of capswarm :shobon:

Denis
Apr 8, 2015

Dalael posted:

There's a difference between watching anime TO learn a language, and learning a language by watching too much anime.
In their cases, its the latter. They watched so much of it, they ended up learning it.

Is it bad ?
Lots of ppl learned english that way, cartoon network and nickelodeon in my country wasnt translated when i was a kid.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Dalael posted:

As far as I know, neither one of the 2 has taken japanese language courses. I may be wrong tho. If they did, it was long after having learnt enough of the language to be annoying about it.

You can self study a language but barring being a literal savant nobody becomes fluent simply by watching subtitled films :wtc:

You can also be able to spout off a lot of words and phrases but be completely unable to have a real conversation (source: me, currently trying to regain my formerly-advanced Spanish after a decade of disuse). That is not fluent.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

frozenphil posted:

If the translations are terrible wouldn't the subs be just as bad? What's the advantage of reading a bad translation vs hearing it spoken?

Subs are often made by japanese people who are fan of the anime and translate it. Its not perfect obviously, but its often better.
Dub's are often made by company's trying to make it as cheap as possible.

Your bases belong to us <--- is a great example of corporation doing it for cheap.

Then again, that was back in the days I used to watch it, so sometime in the 90's and early 2000's. Things may have improved by now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Denis posted:

Is it bad ?
Lots of ppl learned english that way, cartoon network and nickelodeon in my country wasnt translated when i was a kid.

thats legit p cool. it must be impossible to do tho, based on what i've seen on this page.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

eonwe posted:

thats legit p cool. it must be impossible to do tho, based on what i've seen on this page.

Discussion Quorum posted:

You can self study a language but barring being a literal savant nobody becomes fluent simply by watching subtitled films :wtc:

You can also be able to spout off a lot of words and phrases but be completely unable to have a real conversation (source: me, currently trying to regain my formerly-advanced Spanish after a decade of disuse). That is not fluent.

I learned English mostly by watching TV shows. Started by sesame street for the basic, then moved on to other shows and eventually went on the internet and learnt the rest. When I couldn't figure out a word or sentence, I'd open up my dictionary.
So I beg to disagree. And I don't think anyone here or anywhere would call me a savant, literally or not.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Dalael posted:

And I don't think anyone here or anywhere would call me a savant, literally or not.

An idiot, regardless.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

eonwe posted:

children learn languages very easily

daleals friends are idiots in the same way he is and are not fluent in anything except weeb

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
also japanese anime voices are almost universally terrible have you loving heard the japanese goku i mean god drat

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

also japanese anime voices are almost universally terrible have you loving heard the japanese goku i mean god drat

hahah you admitted to watching anime.

(insert :ironicat: here due to avatar)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

children learn languages very easily

daleals friends are idiots in the same way he is and are not fluent in anything except weeb

They speak better Japanese than you can write English. Admittedly its not a high bar.

Denis
Apr 8, 2015

i'm not a huge anime fan but occasionally i do watch em, i actually liked Attack on the titan in original :pusheen:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol this nerd watches anime

but for reals tho. Jojo is a perfect example of the sub being far above the dub. it owns.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
goku isnt anime idiots

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
deny everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Dalael posted:

They speak better Japanese than you can write English. Admittedly its not a high bar.

It's Good that you keep reaffirming how incredibly stupid you are with this dumbass poo poo baby troll attempts :)

• Locked thread