Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't the Red Tail also the "fake" sound they use for Bald Eagles because their real sound sounds wimpy?

I mean, they use the red-tail sound for all sorts of birds because a) it sounds cool and b) for whatever reason Hollywood got a lot of stock recordings of them back in the day that are of acceptable quality to still use. So by default it just became used for all sorts of birds, and even things like dinosaurs and aliens and so on.

Like how there's a couple of stock scream sound effects that show up everywhere even when you could have just used an actual on-set scream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

fishmech posted:

I mean, they use the red-tail sound for all sorts of birds because a) it sounds cool and b) for whatever reason Hollywood got a lot of stock recordings of them back in the day that are of acceptable quality to still use. So by default it just became used for all sorts of birds, and even things like dinosaurs and aliens and so on.

Like how there's a couple of stock scream sound effects that show up everywhere even when you could have just used an actual on-set scream.

Same deal with wolf growls and even a nearly passing semi.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Or a Wilhelm scream. :xd:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Svanja posted:

Waiting with baited breath for Trump's reaction to the mass shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport.

(actually no I'm not but he won't be able to help himself)

I really have to stop learning about tragedies from this thread :smith:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

ManlyGrunting posted:

I really have to stop learning about tragedies from this thread :smith:

I feel like I've lost a part of myself but when i see things like this and think "thank God ONLY five people did."

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

BarbarianElephant posted:

If four white people had assaulted a black disabled man and made racially charged comments, people here would be fuming because it would be a horrific racially-motivated crime. Even if the culprits had been caught and punished. Dylan Roof was caught and will be punished - that didn't make people go "I guess that's been dealt with." They wrote reams on racial violence motivated by white supremacy.

I don't like the right-wing racist insinuations, but let's not dismiss the crime as trivial. It sounds horrific.
Ok, late here, but let's go with a real parallel: A bunch of white teens did assault a black disabled person last year. This is not a hypothetical.

http://www.essence.com/news/white-teen-avoids-jail-for-rape-of-black-student
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/20/idaho-football-coat-hanger-rape-teammate-john-rk-howard

There was no CNN panel covering this, although the attack wasn't broadcast on Facebook, mind you, but a bunch of white teens assaulted and sodomized a mentally disabled teammate while shouting racial slurs at him. The DA decided not to pursue hate crime charges, saying they attacked him because he was disabled and not because he was black. The victim's doctor made an affidavit stating he is experiencing still experiencing flashbacks from the attack and is being treated for anxiety and increased thoughts of suicide, including an alleged attempt. The main attacker just took a plea deal for 3 years probation and community service, sentencing is in February.

This is not directly aimed at you to explain, BarbarianElephant, and is not meant to "square things" somehow and make either of these attacks less horrible, either. I'm bringing it up because it's strikingly similar and we don't need to hypothesize about "if" white people assaulted a black disabled man.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

I feel like I've lost a part of myself but when i see things like this and think "thank God ONLY five people did."

"This could've happened anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, this was Orlando's turn."
- Marco Rubio

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mister Macys posted:

"This could've happened anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, this was Orlando's turn."
- Marco Rubio

Did he really say that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://youtube.com/watch?v=t88X1pYQu-I

loving Android not parsing YouTube properly...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Covok posted:

Did he really say that?

Yes. Famously, and without remorse.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Don't forget the classic false hope of hoping the suspect is white.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

fishmech posted:

Well yeah but also bald eagles really do just make little squeaky and chirpy sounds like you would expect from the colorful li'l feathered friends in your granny's birdcage

Since the only reason your stars-'n'-stripes-t-shirt types love them is that they have those feathers sticking out over their eyes that makes them look like they're scowling with grim determination like Clint Eastwood as the Man With No Name, you gotta have that bloodcurdling red-tailed hawk screech to maintain the patriotism hard-on

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

- Marco Rubio

That Cernovich rear end in a top hat also quickly jumped in on Twitter by saying Esteban Santiago was obviously a Hillary Clinton supporter because Cernovich diagnosed Santiago's name as having an acute case of Hispanicism

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

tacodaemon posted:

That Cernovich rear end in a top hat also quickly jumped in on Twitter by saying Esteban Santiago was obviously a Hillary Clinton supporter because Cernovich diagnosed Santiago's name as having an acute case of Hispanicism

Yet I'll bet he bragged after the election "Hillary thought she'd win all the Hispanics easily, but Trump did better than Romney with them!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

In absolute terms, or as a percentage though? I never did find out...

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Speaking of Esteban Santiago, somebody already made up a totally false story (promoted on Twitter by Infowars) saying that CNN lightened a photo of Santiago to make him look less brown, and much of rightwing social media ran with it. Turns out that CNN had not run any photo of Santiago at the time Infowars tweeted about it, and the doctored photo that was tweeted by Infowars actually shows a completely different guy who only coincidentally happens to also be named Esteban Santiago: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/06/inside-the-alt-right-s-florida-airport-shooter-esteban-santiago-hoax.html

Expect to hear about this forever since most of the people who fell for it will never see the correction

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 7, 2017

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mister Macys posted:

In absolute terms, or as a percentage though? I never did find out...

HRC did better than Trump and Romney but worse that Obama in 2012.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/29/hillary-clinton-wins-latino-vote-but-falls-below-2012-support-for-obama/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If there was record turnout, then I'm guessing his total hispanic voter count is also higher than Mitten's.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PhazonLink posted:

Don't forget the classic false hope of hoping the suspect is white.

Why would people hope that, do you hypothesize, rear end in a top hat?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Yet I'll bet he bragged after the election "Hillary thought she'd win all the Hispanics easily, but Trump did better than Romney with them!"

Speaking of turnout, what was black turn out like? Obviously lower than Obama, but maybe compared with Kerry? Also, what effect did the Supreme Court gutting the VRA have on registration and turnout in the south?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Politicians want my vote and pander to me and I'm hispanic along with every ethnicity that falls under the word.

Some rear end in a top hat shoots up an airport and it is of VITAL IMPORTANCE to tell us that he's white and then his ethnicity later, truly the media is a wonderful thing.

In what loving universe is a puerto rican white? My people are tanned if anything but white?

So sick of the race baiting horseshit and gently caress whitey nonsense.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

Speaking of turnout, what was black turn out like? Obviously lower than Obama, but maybe compared with Kerry? Also, what effect did the Supreme Court gutting the VRA have on registration and turnout in the south?

Yeah, poo poo like that is why I prefer totals to percentages. It's not enough to say Trump won more blacks than Mittens as a percentage if it's because of voter suppression in Democratic districts lowering her count overall.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Alteisen posted:

In what loving universe is a puerto rican white? My people are tanned if anything but white?

My experience is skewed by what I see in movies and television, so if you asked me their color, I would say Raul Julia and Poe Dameron are white.

Therefore, all Puerto Ricans are white, based on my limited sample size and zero exposure to the population of the island at large. I imagine I'm not alone in this assumption, either.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 7, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Veep writers really going to great lengths to test out bits for the new season.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mister Macys posted:

My experience is skewed by what I see in movies and television, so if you asked me their color, I would say Raul Julia and Poe Dameron are white.

Therefore, all Puerto Ricans are white, based on my limited sample size and zero exposure to the population of the island at large. I imagine I'm not alone in this assumption, either.

Poe Dameron, for the record, is a fictional character played by an actor named Oscar Isaac. Raul Julia was a real person though.

Oh, and Oscar Isaac is Guatemalan.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was on my phone and in my haste to shitpost, I forgot his name and nation of origin.

My point is that we are going to judge things by what we see if we don't do the research, and the vast majority of people don't do homework (critical research) once they finish school.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 7, 2017

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm not really giving you poo poo, just thought it was funny to imagine someone asked you to name a Puerto Rican and you listed a starfighter pilot.

We should all remember the contributions that Americans of all backgrounds made to the battle against the New Order.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Don't let anything fool you that Marco Rubio isn't garbage. He's a terrible person and tries to fool you into thinking otherwise but the mask slips a lot.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Radish posted:

Don't let anything fool you that Marco Rubio isn't garbage. He's a terrible person and tries to fool you into thinking otherwise but the mask slips a lot.

To me Rubio always seemed more pathetic than evil. He's got terrible views, I'm sure, but he's too lazy to do anything about them most of the time.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

To me Rubio always seemed more pathetic than evil. He's got terrible views, I'm sure, but he's too lazy to do anything about them most of the time.

It's the poorly concealed balding serving as pathos booster, kind of like how Trump's awful hair and spray tan help make him appear ha-ha-weird instead of tortures-puppies-pedo-weird (compare to Ailes)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jurgan posted:

He's also a poo poo public speaker and weak sounding debater, and I really don't understand how anyone gave him a shot.
Of the 17 assholes, he was the only one I had at 100% not winning the nom. Every time he was at the podium, he sounded inexperienced compared to every other candidate.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

He's also a poo poo public speaker and weak sounding debater, and I really don't understand how anyone gave him a shot.
Of the 17 assholes, he was the only one I had at 100% not winning the nom. Every time he was at the podium, he sounded inexperienced compared to every other candidate.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Remember the early debate where Donnie was slapping "little Macro" around and the comeback Rubio came up with was "Big Don."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

tacodaemon posted:

Speaking of Esteban Santiago, somebody already made up a totally false story (promoted on Twitter by Infowars) saying that CNN lightened a photo of Santiago to make him look less brown, and much of rightwing social media ran with it. Turns out that CNN had not run any photo of Santiago at the time Infowars tweeted about it, and the doctored photo that was tweeted by Infowars actually shows a completely different guy who only coincidentally happens to also be named Esteban Santiago: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/06/inside-the-alt-right-s-florida-airport-shooter-esteban-santiago-hoax.html

Expect to hear about this forever since most of the people who fell for it will never see the correction

The other thing is that CNN cropped out the ISIS salute in their twitter image.

https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/817534620304605184

But if you follow the link through, the finger is there, because Twitter crops things to focus on the face.

Upon being presented with that fact, the problem is now that they made the picture black and white.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Holding up one finger is not "the ISIS salute" and it's murdering my sensibilities to have assholes call it that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Leofish posted:

Someone tweet this back:

:haw:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leofish posted:

But if you follow the link through, the finger is there, because Twitter crops things to focus on the face.

Upon being presented with that fact, the problem is now that they made the picture black and white.

Someone had already started a fake news "CNN edited this photograph to make him look white" within hours. The RWM doesn't care or wait they manufacture outrage the instant they can. It doesn't even matter anyways these people are so consumed with their own ideology that they actively reject any information to contradict their world view. The first 50+ comments are people insisting this is more proof CNN is a liberal fake news site.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
LOL if you thought that guy was white even in black/white

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
That needs to be trolled with every single color fade that CBS used for NCIS.

Nope, scratch that. That show had a Mossad agent and I'm sure some pepe using supremacist will think they were actively trying to convince people that Jews are white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Chilichimp posted:

LOL if you thought that guy was white even in black/white

Well, I'm sorry but I just don't see color.