Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Oh uh, what are some must have mods? Not cheaty, utility I mean.

I run Aslain's mod pack. Very customizable with a lot of options. First time set up takes a while but comes with a nifty preview feature that you have to enable at the start of installation:

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/13-091701-aslains-xvm-mod-modpack-installer-wpicture-sound-preview/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

gently caress it, I'll post mine once I get home. I took out all the "cheats".

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Oh my god, metal gear spotted sound for sixth sense

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

God that was a lot of options. I hope it doesn't blow up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Assuming you enabled xvm be sure to go to http://www.modxvm.com/en/ and enable stats

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Azhais posted:

Assuming you enabled xvm be sure to go to http://www.modxvm.com/en/ and enable stats

especially if you like suffering

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Just don't use any loving mods because most things you need are in the basegame now (You don't need XVM it makes you a poo poo player).

The only thing I can see as being necessary is servercross.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

okay so I don't know if this is entirely relevant but this seems pretty relevant

gentle pete posted:

drat brazil likes jerking off to cartoons

e:and farts

this answers a lot of questions that I've had about some of the people I've played World of Tanks with.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

warcrimes posted:

I run Aslain's mod pack. Very customizable with a lot of options. First time set up takes a while but comes with a nifty preview feature that you have to enable at the start of installation:

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/13-091701-aslains-xvm-mod-modpack-installer-wpicture-sound-preview/

Thanks. I also installed this.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

oh hey there's a barely advertised equipment sale on now, if anyone was waiting.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

What is the deal with this overgunned t-28 premium?

Wargaming knowing how not to take money out of peoples pockets? If it was say :10bux: I'd pick it up. However, at $40 with a bunch of poo poo I don't need, "No thanks Wargaming".

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

HFX posted:

Wargaming knowing how not to take money out of peoples pockets? If it was say :10bux: I'd pick it up. However, at $40 with a bunch of poo poo I don't need, "No thanks Wargaming".

Speaking of T-28s, what the hell do I do with the American T28. This thing is a slow easily pennable monstrosity.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Richard Bong posted:

Speaking of T-28s, what the hell do I do with the American T28. This thing is a slow easily pennable monstrosity.

Hope you get into a T8 game, hope the enemy is dumb. Wait until they re-balance it?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
The L-60 is such a garbage tank for a gift. Hell I just went out in my T-45 and the sloping is enough to make your front bounce any shells that don't hit the one flat spot on the front. Is there some reason they don't want to make these things competitive?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
TKS and TK-3

Queue: Medium Tank Mk.II, Medium Tank Mk.III, KH-50 et al, PzIV, PzIII Ausf. A, PzIII Ausf. B through D, SR tanks

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car M1
Howitzer Motor Carriage T-18

:britain:
A1E1 Independent
Infantry Tank Mk.I

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
Soviet tractor tanks
02SS Aerosan NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
EMIL and KRV NEW

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
Char B1 bis
Char B1 ter NEW
25 mm Hotchkiss gun NEW

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
Pak 97/38
Pz.Sfl.IVb
7.5 cm Pak 41 NEW

:eurovision:
LT vz 35
CKD TNH and LTP (Tanque 39)

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Hellsau posted:

oh hey there's a barely advertised equipment sale on now, if anyone was waiting.

Very sneaky WG, equipment sales own so of course they wouldn't want anyone to know about them.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blindeye posted:

The L-60 is such a garbage tank for a gift. Hell I just went out in my T-45 and the sloping is enough to make your front bounce any shells that don't hit the one flat spot on the front. Is there some reason they don't want to make these things competitive?

The lend-lease Lee is decent, the t7 combat car can be fun, and the Tetrarch is a solid performer.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Wargaming would rather put effort into doing something less than useless rather than putting zero effort in, or putting effort into something that would make at least some of their playerbase happy. See also the Toldi.

Axetrain posted:

Very sneaky WG, equipment sales own so of course they wouldn't want anyone to know about them.

They put it in the announcement of the Ace Mastery tanks for the tankrewards thing, when they never have put a discount or event in there. It's kind of absurd.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Axetrain posted:

loving figures, I spent full price on a piece of equipment last night after hemming and hawing about what to buy for ages.

:argh:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

also is the teamspeak in the OP still active or do people use the new CTS mumble?

We use Discord now, just check in the in-game goons channel and someone can give you an invite. Or, PM me in-game ("AtomizerX") and I can do the same.

BadLlama posted:

Was butte perma banned? He got hit with a ban for pushing another pansy toon mate into the water RIP. He definitely doesn't use any mods at all cause he only plays tanks cause I talked him into it and we get a few games in a week maybe.

I mean pretty sure get botted for silver like a year ago.

Yeah, you can't differentiate between the type of suspension just from the clan members page. Hell, you can also have your account suspended if they detect a compromised account (i.e. a bunch of rejected login attempts, etc.) This happened to an acquaintance of mine; he hadn't played in a while and after I noticed his account was "banned" I asked him about it and this was what we eventually found out.

Azhais posted:

speaking of clans are any of the goon clans still around, I miss my [PANSY] tag

Invite sent, welcome back!

mehall posted:

I started playing this at new years, and had great fun the first few nights, getting to Tier 4 quite quickly.
However, last night and tonight, I just seem incapable to do any real damage, I'm lucky if I kill a single enemy, and I inevitably find an enemy KV-1 or O-I Exp who will gladly blow me up. I can't run, as they're faster than me, and I can't fight back effectively as they have huge armour, compared to the guns I have :(

Not much I can do but grind past it, but given how much fun I was having in the days prior, even with the same tanks, the last couple nights feel dreadful.

This is pretty much working as intended; grinds take more experience as you go up the trees, and tier 4 is kind of a roadblock because a lot of those tanks are lovely and they see potent tiers 5 & 6.

There's too much to explain right now, but if you play with goons we'll help you out. If you get in touch with me ("AtomizerX" in game, join the in-game "goons" channel and get on our Discord server) I'll help you out, I don't mind playing low tiers and I'll be around the next 3 days.

mehall posted:

So is the VK 30.01 H not worth keeping grinding towards?

I like the StuG a lot, for RL reasons, so sticking with that (and once I get to the Tier V, the gun should be a bit less anemic)

I do also have the Vickers Medium III, grinding towards the Matilda, which I forgot to mention as it's the one I play the least.

But yeah, I'm now basically thinking I should head for a KV-1.

The 3001H is playable, but not worth keeping. The tanks after it are better, though, so stick with it. One thing to point out is that...

Fat Jesus posted:

I've got a VK 30.01 H since I was halfheartedly grinding towards the tier 9 and 10 mediums and it's got a nice gun I guess but gently caress I wish it could move just a little bit better. Now that there's better top tier mediums around I just play it when there's a 3x or 5x event on. Also I hardly ever play HT's but I bought the T29 last night after having it unlocked since forever cause I got enough free exp to get the tracks and turret, and already have the 90mm and top engine unlocked from the medium line. Now all I need is another loving 2.5 million tankbux for equipment :( .
Tier 4 is the worst tier, unless you use nothing but a SU-85B.

...it used to be a very mobile tier 6 medium tank, but they needed a tier 5 heavy for some reason so they decided to defile my beloved 3001H. :saddowns:

Hellsau posted:

Welp my video card is dead (probably VRAM dead) so I tried to play on minimum settings with onboard video, tried aiming at a stationary SU-85 and another tank got lit near it so I lagged for half a second, game is worse than normal. Good times.

drat. Well, I can recommend the 1070 if you like awesomeness, or the 1060 6 GB as an acceptable substitute for FHD gameplay.

Failing that, I just bought a 1050 Ti 4 GB for my Plex server, because it's got a 4790 and why not turn it into a gaming machine as well, and the 1050s [mostly] run without an extra power connector and on a 300 W-recommended PSU (which the machine has.) It would still be acceptable if you wanted to do medium-detail FHD gaming with no worries about power issues (or price!)

Oh uh, what are some must have mods? Not cheaty, utility I mean.

I always recommend OMC ModPack, which is like Aslains but I think OMC has a better selection of mods.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Atomizer posted:

Can a terrible shitter on NA be allowed into the hallowed realm of [PANSY]? I don't eat much. HerrCartoon

While I'm making GBS threads up the thread (again) I've been grinding out credits to fund my recent Tiger II acquisition and this has meant playing a bunch of IS 6 games without touching the 2 key. Turns out HE is even more effective than premium APCR! I was racking up lots of damage on an E 75 and must have got a lucky pen on a Tiger I on a snap shot because I wrecked him for 800 odd damage. :smug: It's almost like I know what I'm doing.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Ok I have now refined my long term grinding goals. French artillery and batchat lines, swedish TD line, japanese heavy line. I think this packs most of the gimmickry into 4 lines. We've got the most gimmicky SPG line, the most gimmicky scout tank line, the most gimmicky TD line, and the omni-gimmick superheavy tank line.

Speaking of gimmickry why is there a tier 8 german light tank with almost no armour and breakneck speeds?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ok I have now refined my long term grinding goals. French artillery and batchat lines, swedish TD line, japanese heavy line

rip

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ok I have now refined my long term grinding goals. French artillery and batchat lines, swedish TD line, japanese heavy line. I think this packs most of the gimmickry into 4 lines. We've got the most gimmicky SPG line, the most gimmicky scout tank line, the most gimmicky TD line, and the omni-gimmick superheavy tank line.

Speaking of gimmickry why is there a tier 8 german light tank with almost no armour and breakneck speeds?

Can't speak for any of the other lines, but stay strong until tier 5 in the Japanese line (or was it 6?), it's almost insufferable until you get the 15cm howitzer. And while you may think that using the same gun over four different tiers may be bad, it's actually fun and the handling/ROF improves each tier.

The O-Ho is boatloads of fun, because you get to lob a 15cm shell every 11 seconds or so with BIA.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how are the Swedish tanks now that people has had a chance to try them all out? (also how do you think they would have handled if they put the system they need in the game)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Koorisch posted:

So how are the Swedish tanks now that people has had a chance to try them all out? (also how do you think they would have handled if they put the system they need in the game)

Swedish mediums are nimble peashooters with good depression, not fantastic but certainly not horrible either. The heavys are all good with decent guns and great turret armor + and the gun depression to use it. Swedish TDs start out decent, from tier 4-7 they have good agility and fantastic gun depression, but get guns with somewhat awkward shell speed, lovely ammo (HEAT without massive pen) and no armor. At tier +8 they get good guns but at the cost of having to enter siege mode to shoot, which basically negates any type of mobility advantage and make them very vulnerable due to their paper armor.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Swedish TDs apparently have ludicrously high concealment too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

You chose four of the worst and/or most difficult lines in the game, holy poo poo dude. French arti is worthless and should just be converted into HE shooting TDs, the Batchat line has a large number of horrible tanks and is difficult to play perfectly, the Swedish TD line is trash, and the Japanese heavy line basically ends at tier 8.

Also the RU 251 is fantastic and I highly recommend it for missions.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I know I'm not supposed to like the Ripper Patton but this tank is an insane amount of fun

I'm still not very good with it but it really feels like a decent all around medium, which is exactly the sort of tank I like to play.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Hellsau posted:

You chose four of the worst and/or most difficult lines in the game, holy poo poo dude. French arti is worthless and should just be converted into HE shooting TDs, the Batchat line has a large number of horrible tanks and is difficult to play perfectly, the Swedish TD line is trash, and the Japanese heavy line basically ends at tier 8.

Also the RU 251 is fantastic and I highly recommend it for missions.

Listen buddy this is my second go around of this whole world of tanks thing, I did the sensible stuff last time, now I just want the gimmicky poo poo.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Mirthless posted:

I know I'm not supposed to like the Ripper Patton but this tank is an insane amount of fun

I'm still not very good with it but it really feels like a decent all around medium, which is exactly the sort of tank I like to play.
It got buffed in the last patch, it's essentially identical to a pershing now, making it a drat solid tank.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I find myself over extending a lot and taking far too much damage/dying because of it. Usually when i'm top tier and I know I need to make a bigger impact in the game to get a win. And while it works for me some times, most times I get caught out of position and either stuck in no mans land or in a place where I actually cant affect the game too much anyway.

However if I don't push, my team will cower behind walls when a brief charge will overwhelm the tanks we're facing and ultimately win us the game.

My question to the much better players, how do I know when to go and when to hold back?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Flip a coin.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Challenger report: still godawful. Easily the worst upper tier tank.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
bad E-25 players are some ripe easy pickings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVKS0FbHyEU

i bet he was pissed, lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Atomizer posted:

Thanks!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Why get the IS-6 instead of the WZ-111?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

I find myself over extending a lot and taking far too much damage/dying because of it. Usually when i'm top tier and I know I need to make a bigger impact in the game to get a win. And while it works for me some times, most times I get caught out of position and either stuck in no mans land or in a place where I actually cant affect the game too much anyway.

However if I don't push, my team will cower behind walls when a brief charge will overwhelm the tanks we're facing and ultimately win us the game.

My question to the much better players, how do I know when to go and when to hold back?

Always go with your team.
You cannot carry alone unless you are super god-tier and can outplay 5 tanks and pray to god that RNG does not gently caress you up.

If you go in a team you have enough HPs around you to mitigate that. Don't be the first, don't be the last.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Literally always be aggressive, because when it works it's fun, and when it doesn't work you can get into another battle instead of waiting around jerking off with your camper buddies. Don't just waltz into eight spotted enemy guns, but at least drive forwards enough to start holding left click on the most outside enemy - if the other enemies are smart enough to all push you, you were going to lose anyway when the enemy started picking you and your teammates apart. You can't win every game, but being aggressive lets you steal a lot of games that would otherwise be unwinnable, such as when your team loses ten tanks on the other side of the map and kills two. If you're aggressive enough on your side, you can take advantage of that by being in position to clean up what's left or CAPFAST if you hate fun I guess.

R. Mute posted:

Challenger report: still godawful. Easily the worst upper tier tank.

Somebody's never played with/against a Type 4 or Type 5. Also A-44.

Mirthless posted:

bad E-25 players are some ripe easy pickings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVKS0FbHyEU

i bet he was pissed, lol

I never could get behind the autoloader on the T37, the single shot gun just provides so much better damage output with the higher pen and avoids the risk of being out of shells when you need them or when you can steal some damage. No idea why that idiot E-25 didn't just drive into you instead of backing up into the wall, gotta love cowards playing TDs.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Jesus the churchill III is exactly as awesome now as it was before (when top tier).