Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Haha this guy really backed himself into a corner:

My [24 M] girlfriend of four years [26 F] wants to be a professional magician -- but she's godawful. How do I tell her to quit on her dream?

All I'm asking is for help, Reddit. I fear if I don't fix this soon, Emma will actually succeed in the first magic trick of her life: Making me disappear. 

I feel like the entire post was building up to this extremely cheesy punchline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

P-Mack posted:

I like these sitcom plot ones way better than the hosed up abuse ones.

same

poor fuckin Sweet Dee tho

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 6, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

My [24 M] girlfriend of four years [26 F] wants to be a professional magician -- but she's godawful. How do I tell her to quit on her dream?

"Reddit how to I admit to my wife that everyone she loves has been lying to her, taking away her ability to improve and dooming her to ignorant mediocrity at best?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you told her she sucked from the outset you wouldnt have this problem, buddy.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Dude should resign himself to taking care of her on his own meager salary. It's the least he can do for intellectually handicapping her.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I don't even understand how she was loving up the guess-the-card trick like that, was she actually reshuffling them and picking out a random card thinking it would magically be the right one?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The girlfriend sucking at magic because she thinks magic is real would be the most awesome twist.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Is this not an episode of bobs burgers

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Is this not an episode of bobs burgers
I'm just imagining the knowing look between him and her parents where no one can say what they're all thinking.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Danaru posted:

"Reddit how to I admit to my wife that everyone she loves has been lying to her, taking away her ability to improve and dooming her to ignorant mediocrity at best?"

Actually, until she realizes she's poo poo, she will not improve at all. She needs to practice with someone competent and get educated in the craft. There's a thingy that describes this : the Dunning-Kruger Effect

This woman's lack of competence and knowledge in the field she has chosen to master has actually given her a vastly inflated confidence in her abilities, making learning from mistakes incredibly difficult. She can't learn from doing something wrong in this case if she doesn't know she's doing it wrong due to limited knowledge/ability and false reinforcement of her delusional confidence by well-meaning people not telling her she sucks.

The easiest way to help her is to sign her up for lessons or training with an experienced magician who will shatter her confidence by merely displaying and instructing actual skill. From there, she may be able to learn and become good, or she might just be mediocre and have to deal with the fact that she's not great at something she likes.

E: this may destroy her as a person temporarily, so, be prepared to :sever:

EE: it seems like this woman hasn't really grokked learning new skills yet, since she seems to suck at everything.

Maybe she has a learning disability?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 6, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

six days into the new year a gbs goon um actuallied a post that said everything he said more succinctly with a link to the Dunning-Kruger Effect Wikipedia page

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm imagining this girl awkwardly performing and failing at really basic magic tricks to an audience that's been instructed to just politely clap and agree that whatever card she pulls was their card no matter what and it's great. They should keep the ruse on until she's on her death bed and then let her know. In the meantime, they should tell her to get a real job though

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
He should just sign her up for a class so she can improve with him actually having to confront her.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

six days into the new year a gbs goon um actuallied a post that said everything he said more succinctly with a link to the Dunning-Kruger Effect Wikipedia page

Not everyone clicks on links or whatever, and there's no guarantee the URL will be valid at any given moment. Besides, I like hearing myself type.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

EE: it seems like this woman hasn't really grokked learning new skills yet, since she seems to suck at everything.

Maybe she has a learning disability?

People suck at everything they just start at. This guy is basically wheeling her around from station to station and then despairing when she doesn't exhibit the ability of someone performing that work for a decade. Not that it matters because he's just gonna tell her she rules anyway.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Also I love the detail that he had to pay his cousin $1000 to get him to hire her for $500. poo poo she can play all my parties if I can get that kind of deal

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

100 degrees Calcium posted:

People suck at everything they just start at. This guy is basically wheeling her around from station to station and then despairing when she doesn't exhibit the ability of someone performing that work for a decade. Not that it matters because he's just gonna tell her she rules anyway.

This would be the reasonable explanation but on the other hand I am dogshit terrible at magic, have no interest in learning, have to reread how to do that trick every time I try it, and can still get the right card, it's just incredibly obvious that I'm doing a trick and probably how I'm doing it

like, this is the one she's talking about, right? explain to me how you gently caress that up.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 7, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Let her find out she's bad at magic what the gently caress is the problem here. He wants to spend his life as the director of his own Truman Show?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I [27M] started seeing somebody [25F] who is in a long-term relationship. She wants to leave him to be with me. She doesn't know I am a virgin.

quote:

Over the past 2 months I have become close with a girl from class. It started with meeting up to study or have lunch. Then we started having dinner/drinks together and hanging out at night. Most of what we do now would be considered dating by most people. However, she is currently in a long-term relationship and lives with her partner, and I knew this from very early on because she told me. I really like this girl, and she likes me too.
Last night, she discussed leaving her partner so she could be with me. As she lives with her partner, this would involve her moving back in with her mother (she is a student and he supports her). I really want this, but I am freaking out about a few things:
Firstly, my relationship history is basically non-existent. I last had a girlfriend when I was about 14 years old. While she has talked extensively about her relationship history, I have not talked about mine because I do not really have one. I am embarrassed about this. And she has asked me. To date, I have mostly evaded the question, much to her frustration. Last night, I did, however, tell her it had been "years" since I was in a relationship. She just seemed surprised about this--I don't believe the reaction was negative though.
Secondly, I have not been physically intimate with a girl since high school. I have never had PIV sex, and the last time I kissed a girl I was probably drunk and about 15 years old. Nobody knows this about me, even my friends, and I want to keep it that way. I do not want to get into the details of why this may be. I struggled after high school, but I am in a better position now and I want to get on with things.

My questions is, how much information should I divulge about my background? She is ready to commit to a relationship with me already, but I feel bad that she doesn't know "the whole story", especially my (lack of) sexual history. Would it be a bad move if I choose to keep this to myself? I was hoping to not go into details with anybody about this ever.
TL;DR; : Basically a relationship virgin, haven't had PIV sex, and I'm forming a relationship with an experienced woman. She is leaving her long-term partner for me. How much information should I divulge about my background?

Update months later with no link to the original post

quote:

I have posted here regarding this girl before. It was a few months ago now.
We met about 6-7 months ago in class—she was in a relationship at the time
She broke it off with him about 3 months ago
She was with him for 4 years and lived with him for that duration
She says she likes me but doesn't want to jump straight into another relationship because in her experience it does not go well
We started having sex about 2 months ago, maybe once a week but there was a gap when she went on holiday
We see each other 2-3 times a week and spend most of that time 1-on-1, mostly on campus, and have done so for maybe over 4 months
Sometimes we go out for dinner and drinks, and have done similar activities that people usually do when they date
By the sounds of it, she has very high expectations for a relationship and “can't devote the mental energy to it right now”
She says she isn't sleeping with anybody else, isn't interested in doing this or dating anybody else, and would tell me if she wanted to start doing this
I have told her that I’m not interested in dating or having sex with anybody else at the moment either
We text nearly nearly every day
She says she likes me
She says she thinks about me everyday
I like her so drat much and have no idea what to do. My main problem is that since sleeping with her (she is the first girl I have slept with) I have wanted more from her. More relationship style stuff, like staying over my place, hanging out on weekends, hanging out with my friends and her friends, being "official" and not feeling like we are hiding it. I would like to try that, but she was clear that she considers herself “single” (despite us doing things that people generally do when they are “dating” or are “exclusive”).
I think her jumping straight into a relationship, like people in my previous post suggested, could of been a bad thing. She says she needs to rebuild herself or something along those lines after being invested in her previous relationship, even though she ended it. The thing is, we still hang out a lot and are emotionally and physically involved, and it isn't just me initiating it.
Is it wise to stick around? Either way, I couldn't imagine NOT having her in my life, even as a friend. I could not cut contact from her. Do I stop sleeping with her? The thing is, she has feelings for me too which makes it difficult. We cuddle and kiss most times we see each other now, just not really in front of other people.
tl;dr: She likes me but does not want a relationship at the moment because she cannot devote the “mental energy to it” after breaking up with her LTBF. We still hang out regularly 1-on-1 and have sex. She does not want to see or sleep with anybody else at the moment, and would be hurt if I did too, but that I should do what I need/want to do. She says she says likes me but it is a timing thing.

Homeboy lost his virginity to a girl in a relationship and wants to build a relationship with someone who he already knows is a cheater. She then leaves her dude sorta for him, then doesn't date him.

Guys and gals, if you are going to gently caress someone in a relationship, please don't think they wouldn't do the same to you if you end up dating them. You aren't special, you aren't different.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Not to mention that the OP said that the person was in a gang, I'd say that's actually make the situation even worse because now you have a gang with an axe to grind for the boyfriend

This was a big clue to a deeper issue, I feel. Who the hell finds someone just by driving around and coincidentally seeing the bag? Much more likely, boyfriend is in a gang as well, got a tip off, bashed the kid. He's not afraid of retribution because his gang is behind him/they're in the same gang.

This one is also a rare case of OP's friends aren't just enabling the poo poo relationship, so I feel like there is much more going on than OP admits

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Guys and gals, if you are going to gently caress someone in a relationship, please don't think they wouldn't do the same to you if you end up dating them. You aren't special, you aren't different.

Tell that to all of the women my Uncle Keith has married. The dude couldn't stay faithful to a toothpaste brand if his life depended on it. Every marriage, he has had a side piece lined up before he even walks down the aisle, and sometimes that side piece was the next bride a few years later. Rinse/repeat at least six times so far. Why the gently caress does he bother getting married?

He's a handsome, charming motherfucker, tho.

The worst part is his family enabled/covered for him when he cheated on a wife, at least in the past. They got tired of his poo poo eventually. The only reason I know about it is because they knew about it and my mom is like, queen kindness interrogator, so she got juicy deets whenever we visited that branch of the family. Nobody thinks kids listen to or understand grownups so I was privy to all that poo poo.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 7, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
It is very stupid to undermine the intelligence of a child. They are aware, they remember and they understand

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Girl [24F] I was in love with, dumped me [27F] after 5 years because I'm too short...and she wanted to "give her future kid a chance at good genetics"

I dated this girl for 5 years...We had a couple breaks...and I know her past boyfriends were all 6'2"+ ...and the guys she's spoken to since we broke up are all 6'2"+.

They started dating when she was 19 and she'd already had multiple boyfriends (who were tall)? She must have either been running through the school basketball team or dating much older guys :-/

edit - Also, how does he know about the guys she's 'spoken to' since they broke up? Is he sitting on their dates or something?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

drat, that story about the girlfriend moving to a new city and boyfriend trying to find a job but getting cheated on instead weirded me out. My girlfriend is packing up next week to move and I have to find something down there so we can stay together. It's 6 hours driving away. Our schedules don't line up with our current jobs so visiting is going to be tough.

Anyone have any good advice for weathering that storm?

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 7, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

It is very stupid to undermine the intelligence of a child. They are aware, they remember and they understand

They do not forgive, they do not forget.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

drat, that girlfriend moving to a new city and boyfriend having to find a job in that city story weirded me out. My girlfriend is packing up next week and I have to find something down there so we can stay together. It's 6 hours driving away.

:sever:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Improbable Lobster posted:

They do not forgive, they do not forget.

Just like elephants

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nah. It's not a yearlong contract in Australia.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Fine then, have a relationship and open up your child. Or something.

Alternatively, try your hardest not to be cheated on by sheer force of will/compersion.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

drat, that story about the girlfriend moving to a new city and boyfriend trying to find a job but getting cheated on instead weirded me out. My girlfriend is packing up next week to move and I have to find something down there so we can stay together. It's 6 hours driving away. Our schedules don't line up with our current jobs so visiting is going to be tough.

a few of my pals have been in LDRs and the key, from what i could casually observe, is to be very in love with the other person. so try that.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Me [F] 23 Him [M] 26 of 1 year I don't know what to do.
or
My[23F] vag is gigantic

quote:

So I've been in a relationship with man for a little over a year now. He is an amazing guy, he has a good career, he treats me amazingly, he's very sweet, etc. and overall he's a great man. I love him, and he is the best boyfriend I've ever had but there's a problem. I'm thinking of breaking it off because his penis isn't big enough for me. He isn't small by any means we've measured it and he's slightly above 6 but I don't feel like it's enough. I like to feel "full" and he doesn't give me that feeling like previous partners/FWB's have.
He is great in bed too, he always gets me off with oral, he is not bad at PIV it's just his size and he's very kinky/open to sex which is great. No problems there, just his penis. My dilemma is that I don't want to lose this great guy over his penis size, but at the same time I'd like to have sex with a big penis again. Am I wrong for even thinking this? Am I being stupid? I'm not sure but any help/advice is appreciated.
TL:DR Great boyfriend, not big enough penis. Want a big penis. Problem.

My favorite comment to her

quote:

Go get yourself a big dick and let this guy go and get a decent woman.

from her

quote:

Well if you had the choice of a 6 inch penis and a 8 inch penis let's be real what would you choose. And I really do love him for who he is, how he holds himself, everything that isn't shallow. But I can't seem to get past penis size. It's just one of those things I don't know why. But it's popular opinion here that I should let him find someone who wants all of him and I think they are right.

Luckily, she is going to leave him so he can be with someone better for him.

Also, this is the kind of women that gives a man lifelong anxiety and self confidence issues.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 7, 2017

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Pick posted:

I am not even against pornography per se (that would be as stupid as being "against movies") but the normalization of violence and degrading content should be addressed. And it is genuinely weird that so many people cannot stop watching pornography, even when they try, especially when they are still using it on a daily or multi weekly basis despite their own wishes.

Nobody asked you, shut up please.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

Me [F] 23 Him [M] 26 of 1 year I don't know what to do.
or
My[23F] vag is gigantic

My favorite comment to her

from her

Luckily, she is going to leave him so he can be with someone better for him.

Above 6" is well above average. I think the average is something like 5.25 or 5.5?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Above 6" is well above average. I think the average is something like 5.25 or 5.5?

You mean the average isn't 3.5? :doh:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Pivotal Lever posted:

Nobody asked you, shut up please.

I bet your row of browser tabs looks like a red light district sidewalk.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I fear if I don't fix this soon, Emma will actually succeed in the first magic trick of her life: Making me disappear.
This is amazing holy poo poo.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Dude asks Reddit to help him coerce his girlfriend wihch, I guess if that were a thing I wanted to do, Reddit is where I'd get the tips.

quote:

I've been with my girlfriend for 20 months and I learned after 3 months of prying that she wanted to wait for marriage for sex and it's not a religious thing, just something she always wanted. I was ok with it but it's very frustrating because I have an extremely high sex drive. Sometimes she lets me finger her through her PJs but that's as far as we go. If I bring it up, she tells me she will break up over it. Is there any chance of convincing her?

tl;dr: How do I convince girlfriend to have sex with me?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This one is sad

I (17F) want to become a kinship carer for my brother (5M). My boyfriend (19M) says our relationship won't work.

quote:

Me and my partner have been together for about 3/4 months now, it's a short time but I believe that he is the one, I love him a lot and we have a lot in common, I really don't want to lose him.

I have been in care for 8 years and this is my first year free. My mother was a heroin addict, and now she's a lazy alcoholic that abuses prescribed medicine, she's always been toxic to me and my siblings. Social work have investigated my mother and don't think there's anything to worry about even though my brother is going through some heavy neglect right now. I decided I wanted it to end and told my mum that I want him to live with me starting this summer. Of course I have to fill out documents and pass disclosures first, but I believe I can be a much better carer to him than my mother ever was.

I discussed this with my boyfriend and he says he feels too weird with a kid living with me and he thinks our relationship won't work if I do this.

I'm so stuck, I want to give my brother the childhood he deserves but I don't want to lose the one person who makes me happy.

Help me

*TL/DR: Boyfriend says relationship won't work if I choose to be a carer for my brother who's in need. I don't want to lose him

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
4 month relationship vs your 5 year old brother and a truly noble act, dump the guy if he can't handle how incredibly great and selfless you are for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

Do you really want to be with someone who would rather your brother go through the same or worse childhood that you had?

quote:

He supports me taking him, he just doesn't want to be a part of it and idk how to cope with it.

:shepface: