Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Pungry posted:

Anyone want to team up with the Tsunamis? I know we are slated as the worst team in the Sub-Par League, but there's some positives to them as well! Somewhere! Probably!
I'd be interested in teaming up my Knights with your Tsunamis. Your team looks really hamstrung by the Tag Team setup, in that you look to have some very useful guys but it also means taking something bad along with it... but hey, I'd guess that's also what you're looking to upgrade in the draft. Team up with components to be named post-draft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Revenant Threshold posted:

I'd be interested in teaming up my Knights with your Tsunamis. Your team looks really hamstrung by the Tag Team setup, in that you look to have some very useful guys but it also means taking something bad along with it... but hey, I'd guess that's also what you're looking to upgrade in the draft. Team up with components to be named post-draft?

I'm in. Double Boggs and Double Thomas sounds hilarious.

Jampact
Jun 3, 2008

Milt Thompson posted:

I'm game if you are, your bullpen and OF with my IF and rotation. We could be the Hellhounds.

That sounds like a great name! Let's do it.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sub-Par League IX, Week 1: To Kill A Forgettable

Games of the Weak

Keith Wuncler CXXXIV posted:

DEM BOIS CAPTURE TELEVISION TITLE. WHY. DEAR GOD WHY

The DC cabal is sinister. An uncouth band of shadowy powerbrokers who nonetheless hosed it up by letting Donald Trump get elected, they operate in secrecy and only very occasionally go out in public. Some say they arose from the noxious gases that permeate the metaphorical swamp that is the capital; others say it is the collective febrile nightmares of a nation losing its way. Whispered is the possibility it is the mental projection of a single, crazed DC area lobbyist. Whatever the case, it is a conspiracy that can no longer be denied as mere gossip. Often it is subtle and deniable.

Then there is the Dat Bois. What the flying gently caress.

It is one thing to win at home against an untested team, a pile of Corgis that have taken the field in a misguided attempt to play baseball. I mean, sure, you'd think a nebulous collection of stale memes would fare poorly against lovable little sausages with stumpy legs, but the Internet is cat country, not dog territory, so that is an oversight easily made. But against mrnoun? In the Moonchild? The world has become a very frightening place indeed.

In this twilight of sanity we cannot even claim that the Landers put up a resistance worth remembering, as humanity is damned to an eternity of recycled "witty" utterances and "dank" memes. Sure, they put up a run early, on the fleetness of Tim Raines's feet, but as quickly the Dat Bois upped them by doing the same with...Jeff Bagwell. Listen, if you're getting punk'd by Jeff Bagwell stealing second, and then stealing third, then tagging up on a pop fly, you are a disgrace.

Unless this is performance art by the Landers? Oh no. I've gone insane. Excuse me a moment, I require a mental enema.

During this intermission, please enjoy the refreshing taste of Coca-Cola™, now available in the lobby.

Sorry, I'm back. Don't mind the odd tics here and there in the recap, self-lobotomies are tricky things and I'm not sure I got it right. Ah :LKSD well. Any way, after Bagwell stole his way to home and tied, things went into complete freefall for the Landers. Sheffield slammed a two-run dinger, Avila and Gwynn hit back to back doubles, then Sabehagen walked Ripken on bases loaded, giving dem Dat Bois a 6-1 lead. Q'HT.

Manny was Manny and hit a solo homer in the 6th, but that was by far too little, P"WIHT, too late. The game was lost and the Landers had surrendered to the utmost, handing the Dat Bois a 6-0 record at the end of the first week.

God have mercy on all our : WHT souls.

In the grand spirit of irony, mrnoun took the podium and gave a recitation of a favorite poem of his. "'Do not go gentle into that good night,' he intoned, then snickered uncontrollably for ten minutes straight. 'Rage, rage against the dying...'." Raucous laughter interrupted the line for another five minutes. "No, but in all seriousness, this was a terrible week for us. We lost the opening series against anime, then got swept at home by Pepe the racist frog. I also lost most of my lineup it seems, but that was deliberate. I think." He giggled some more.

"Look. There's a S:LGHJ reason for all this. I can't be sure that the end-goal is worth the trouble, but I in fact do have a plan. An enormous plan, which when unveiled will be visible from the Earth, when you gaze upon us in the night sky. I would say more but it is premature. 'Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,' that is what my father used to say, when he was tripping something fierce and drooling into his shirt as another Pink Floyd record circled endlessly on the locked groove. And now I have shared this with you, in hopes of enlightening your paltry lives. Along with this platter of mescaline I've left by the door. Compliments of the Moon Child."

While experiencing a dank high better than any I've had in the last two weeks, a revelation came to me, a visage of a frog, dressed in late Victorian garb, addressing a crowd of sullen, dirty people. "The old order has must fall. Soon all must acknowledge that Dat Bois is the future, one where we shall speak short fragments of sentences that contain more emojis than words and knowing inside jokes impenetrable to all others." The crowd is a brown and grey mass, no longer distinguishable as people, a literal wall of color, shouting with an incoherent rage. "Yes! Yes! You will be freed from the tyranny of grammar, the heavy hand of logic. We have become unbound, and even the rest of the Cabal shall fear us. Go forth my minions and spread the revolution!"

And I saw this crowd, streaming from the stage, each wearing a MAKE AMERICA GREAT cap, a river of cheap red fabric flowing and bobbing in paths to unseen destinations. Whence this fervor returns? And its attendant consequences for us, and more importantly, for the Sub-Par at large? I shudder to think of it. We have a long season before us.

poo poo. I hope this lobotomy kills me. It'd kind of suck if Dat Bois promote and I'd have to answer to Smasher's fury for this lapse.

WHOA GUYS WHEN I MOVE MY HANDS I SEE MUSIC AND THESE NOTES

- Bret Saberhagen might not be up to this.

- Rim Raines is working as advertised, though.

- Bobby Avila is working better than advertised, which bodes poorly for the sanity of this division.

- Jeff Bagwell stealing second? Okay, sure, whatever. Stealing third? What. Effectively stealing home on a short pop fly? I can't even :LHSGLJKHH:KLFN

Box Score

Frank Gaiman posted:

CAPTAIN YESTERDAY DISCOVERS LOSERS' ACHILLES' HEEL, CAPTURES HARDCORE TITLE

Brooklyn - Anyone who roots for a particular team probably hates their manager. In most cases they have good reason.

There's Dusty Baker and his inability to manage a bullpen. There's Joe Maddon and...actually he's pretty good even if so much of his silly bullshit is unnecessary. There's Mike Matheny and his complete inability to do anything right at all--up to and including opening birthday presents before the postseason debut of fragile young pitchers.

For the most part, though, complaints about managers come in the form of "this stupid bastard did something disastrous."

Today, we saw the opposite of that tack. Managers do matter, because when they don't do anything their hands-off approach leads to disaster. But we'll get there in a moment.

The Giants trotted out Carl Hubbell, which should have been a tough matchup for the Losers' lefty-heavy lineup. Indeed, Hubbell crusied through the first inning and then got Oscar Charleston and Barry Bonds--the two most dangerous hitters on the Losers--on a weak grounder and a strikeout. With the bases empty and two out, things looked easy.

Even after A two-out double by Lefty O'Doul and back-to-back singles by Joe Torre and Kevin Youkilis, it didn't seem all that troublesome. It was only 1-0, there were two outs, and Don Drysdale was batting. Surely Hubbell could retire the pitcher!

Alas, he could not, and Drysdale dribbled a single through the hole into right, and his scratch single was followed by singles from RIggs Stephenson and Pop Lloyd--suddenly making it 4-0.

It happened so quickly, and without much in the way of thunderous offense. Only O'Doul's double was well-struck; everything else was kinda just BABIP-y. Then again, that's sort of the only way a lefty-heavy team that relies on power can get to a pitcher like Hubbell. So the fact that the rally happened was a little surprising, but not the way in which it happened.

Anyway, it was 4-0 now and neither Drysdale nor Hubbell looked like they'd be giving up any further runs. Neither side got so much as a runner to second base until the sixth inning. Drysdale allowed a scratch run following a passed ball and an infield single (Joe Torre's not exactly a defensive whiz behind the plate) but it was still 4-1.

And after Hubbell pitched a scoreless eighth, it remained 4-1 heading into the bottom of the inning. Lefty O'Doul (Giants version) led off with a single, and inexplicably was sacrificed to second base, giving up one of six remaining outs with a 3-run deficit. Yet that wasn't the worst managing of the inning.

That came a batter later: Bill Terry tripled, making it 4-2 with only one out and a man on third, and Willie Mays coming up.

Torre looked to the dugout for his manager, but TKBomber was nowhere to be seen. Shrugging, Torre held out his arm for the intentional pass: surely Randy Myers, warming in the bullpen, was waiting to face Mel Ott on deck. Walking the tying run on base didn't seem particularly bright, but with a lefty-lefty matchup incoming, maybe it was defensible from a certain vantage point?

Of course, that completely goes to hell if the manager doesn't remove the starting pitcher. TKBomber was again nowhere to be seen as Ott faced Drysdale, a tired pitcher with a platoon disadvantage.

Naturlaly, he homered, turning a 4-1 deficit at the start of the inning into a sudden 5-4 lead. Eventually Drysdale just walked off the mound in anger to be replaced by Myers a couple batters too late.

Then Steve Bedrosian closed out the game without incident. Well, I guess there was a minor incident--Mike Schmidt and Jose Vizcaino both came into the game as defensive replacements, with Schmitty going to first base for some reason.

Anyway, the Giants won thanks to TKBomber being absent.

Which CaptainYesterday was quick to point out.

"First of all," he said, pointing at his chest, "I will not be referred to as All-Rush Mixtape. Rush is technically really complex but none of their music is particularly memorable. They're basically just a North American version of Dragonforce. But I digress."

He pointed toward the Losers dugout, overflowing with talented players. "Look at the bounty the Losers have! All Stars and Legends at every position! But they can only field 9 at a time! And 25 on the roster outright! And while they've got all these reserves, not one of them is able to play unless TKBomber does or says something!"

He smirked.

"And we all know TKBomber isn't going to do anything. Sure, he'll make a change now and again but it'll be too little, too late. The time of the Losers is over and the time of the Giants is just beg--"

He was cut off as Oscar Charleston, in the Losers dugout, wheeled out a large object obscured by a canvas dropcloth. Wordlessly, he ripped the cloth off revealing...

The dormant form of Lord Mayor Humungus, the eyeholes of his mask dark and not revealing any signs of life in the terrifying mass of muscle and sinew.

The Lord Mayor didn't move. CaptainYesterday didn't even need to see him move. He wasn't sure if he could or could not, if he was dormant or not. It was enough. As Charleston did one of those "point at the neck and make a throat-slashing gesture" moves in the direction of CaptainYesterday, the Giants owner slunk back into his clubhouse to enjoy a 5-4 win with no further fanfare.

GAME NOTES

-Are the Losers going to squander their biggest advantage?

-Uh...there's really not much else to talk about. Rod Carew got caught stealing and I guess that's notable because Joe Torre usually can't catch anyone?

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

You better not let that frog survive this division.

Analysis

Week 1 is always tough for offense.

Analysis

Oh no!

Analysis

The key to winning your division is to win lots of games.

Analysis

Huh, okay.

Analysis

Now is the time to panic.

Analysis

I think your pitching will probably do better.

Analysis

You beat the Hoss, that's a good sign already.

Analysis

Like I said, I don't know how long Joe Wood will be able to hold out.

Analysis

Panic!! Wait, poo poo, never mind.

Analysis

That might be the best hitting I've ever seen in a week 1. *looks at Dem Bois* oh

Analysis

Is Kelsie Whitmore going to be good again? Because she's not really supposed to be good.

Analysis

Keep having a 2.14 ERA and you'll do fine.

Analysis

I... do believe in Modern Love?

Analysis

Hod Eller will take you to the promised land.

Analysis

The important thing is that you tried your best.

Analysis

Needs more dinger.

Analysis

This Giles kid, I tell you, he'll be a big star for them Phightin's!

Analysis

You can do better than that.

Analysis

Huh.

Standings

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Oh, I completely forgot! Personal catcher: Harry Danning for Mike Scott.

There, that will fix everything.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
The Marmosets completely support the W.E.B. Dat Bois. Memes are the corn of the internet.

Feastmode3288
May 26, 2016
Oh snap the magic is still alive. Everybody watch out dem bois are coming for u.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How in the hell does my Jim Jam have a stolen base?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

TMMadman posted:

Well, your Hit & Run slider is 2, and Frank Robinson also has an SB, so I like to picture Jimmy Edmonds hacking away, and the catcher dismissing the possibility of a hit and run with them on base.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hooray, I won a belt and didn't immediately lose it!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sweeping the Blues is a good sign. Dropping two 1-run games in the first week, less so.

It's just one week, so no changes, but I'm gonna keep an eye on Raines in case Delahanty needs to sub in.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TMMadman posted:

The Merry Marauder posted:

Well, your Hit & Run slider is 2, and Frank Robinson also has an SB, so I like to picture Jimmy Edmonds hacking away, and the catcher dismissing the possibility of a hit and run with them on base.

The estimable sir Marauder is most likely correct. The Panderers have set steals slider to -4, yet Keith "I'm Keith Hernandez" Hernandez has 3 steals in 7 games. These are likely due to botched hit-and-runs (swing-and-miss instead of contact) where the runner outruns the throw. Your gentleman masher may have encountered similar circumstances and the backstop, no doubt stunned into apoplexy after noticing Thome strolling toward second base like Pooh waddles for hunny with the pitch, failed to make a good throw.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Monathin posted:

Sweeping the Blues is a good sign. Dropping two 1-run games in the first week, less so.

It's just one week, so no changes, but I'm gonna keep an eye on Raines in case Delahanty needs to sub in.

I lost 4 straight 1 run games in week one.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Pander posted:

The estimable sir Marauder is most likely correct. The Panderers have set steals slider to -4, yet Keith "I'm Keith Hernandez" Hernandez has 3 steals in 7 games. These are likely due to botched hit-and-runs (swing-and-miss instead of contact) where the runner outruns the throw. Your gentleman masher may have encountered similar circumstances and the backstop, no doubt stunned into apoplexy after noticing Thome strolling toward second base like Pooh waddles for hunny with the pitch, failed to make a good throw.

Maybe he just thought he could make it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Pander posted:

and the backstop, no doubt stunned into apoplexy after noticing Thome strolling toward second base like Pooh waddles for hunny with the pitch, failed to make a good throw.

Thank you for that, I've just spent a delightful minute watching Jim taking grounders at first in 2012 spring training alongside "Up, Down, Touch the Ground."

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZXwKGQdpY

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TMMadman posted:

In a little under half a season I had a 42 year old Stan Musial steal something like four bases with my hit and run and steal sliders both in the negatives. Mogul is weird.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ice To Meet You posted:

Maybe he just thought he could make it.

Jim Jam is no longer interested in mashing taters, he just wants to rack up steals.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
The 11th Tag Team Championship Tournament: Writing Bad, Friendship Good

Tag Teams? TAG TEAMS!

The way this will work is that two teams, and it can be any two teams, whether they be from the Super-League, the Sub-Par League, or some sort of unholy union between a team from the Super-League and a team from the Sub-Par League, will team up to form a super-team, with each team providing two of the following four components:

-Infield (1B, 2B, 3B, SS, DH, two backup IFs)
-Outfield and Catcher (C, LF, CF, RF, a backup C, and two backup OFs)
-Starting Rotation (SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4, SP5)
-Bullpen (CL, SU, SR, SR, MR, LR)

The winners get the greatest gift I am capable of giving: Immortality! That's right, the teams who win this tournament will be immune from relegation or demotion for a full season! And if you are in the Sub-Par league and are part of the winning tag team, you'll automatically be promoted to the Super-League proper for Super-League XXII, a season that hurts my head just thinking about it.

Somehow, and I blame all of you, the two-time defending tag team champions are Arcade MACHINE, who are looking to be the first team ever to win a third straight tag team crown (winning two in a row being oddly common). I really, really do expect at least one team to be able to take down Arcade MACHINE, given that it's run by Beet, who's not here, and Yaya, who is Yaya.

So, find yourself a partner, combine material from each of your teams, and create a child team that you both will cherish and nurture right up until it goes off to the tournament and disappoints you greatly. And then, you will know how your parents feels every time they think about you.

Participating Teams!
Arcade MACHINE (Sindhi Sheikhs/World Warriors) (c)
The Baker-Bader Connection (Burns' Zephyrs/Base Cloggers)
Scary Monsters and Super Freaks (Innsmouth Lookers/Modern Love)
Guernica (Rochester Generics/Portland Panderers)
CanaDA Bomb! (Oklahoma City Bombers/RCMP)
Team Head Hurt (Hoboken Zephyrs/Mexico City Mexicutioners)
Team Malformation (Nega-Llamas/Midway Mobsters)
Maniac Animemaniacs of Mania (Houston Hol Horses/Enix Slimes)
Twin Cities Triad (Marmos/Commission)
Paper Knights (Glasonbury Knights/Origami Tsunamis)
Hellhounds (Krakow Dragons/Corgi Corgis)
The CooL Guys (Khartoum Doom/Kobe Crows)

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 7, 2017

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Week 2 Injury Report

Hoboken Zephyrs
Eddie Collins (2B) (For the good of all mankind) - 15 days

Khartoum Doom
Arthur Rhodes (RP) (Taking time to ponder the tragic irony of the Dravecky situation) - 13 days

South Bolton Eazy W's
Babe Ruth (OF) (Our hopes are Dunn) - 29 days

Pick 'em: I have severe depression

Canadian Championship
RCMP (c) @ South Dakota Marmosets

European Championship
Khartoum Doom (c) @ Mexico City Mexicutioners

United States Championship
Oklahoma City Bombers @ World Warriors (c)

Cruiserweight and Heavyweight Championship
Base Cloggers (c) @ Akabira Killer Mikes

UNIFICATION MATCH!
B-Zephyrs (ic) unify vs. both retain vs. Sheikhs (ld) unify

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TMMadman posted:

I lost 4 straight 1 run games in week one.

blame your bullpen.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Pick 'em: Champs retain, but especially the Warriors.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Canadian Championship

European Championship

UNIFICATION MATCH!

Champs retain

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Sheiks unify, all others retain.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.
Champs retain

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Everyone retains.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Pick 'em: Champs retain but Zephyrs unify.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Canadian Championship

European Championship

UNIFICATION MATCH!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Canadian Championship
RCMP (c)

European Championship
Mexico City Mexicutioners

Oklahoma City Bombers

Base Cloggers (c)

UNIFICATION MATCH!
both retain

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pick 'em

All champs retain.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Monathin posted:

blame your bullpen.

Actually, I think it's my batting that's the issue this week.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
marmosets Take, all other champs retain.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Akabira takes . All others retain

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Champs retain!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Pick 'em

Canadian Championship
RCMP (c)

European Championship
Khartoum Doom (c)

Oklahoma City Bombers

Base Cloggers (c)

UNIFICATION MATCH!
both retain

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Canadian Championship

European Championship

UNIFICATION MATCH!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Canadian Championship

European Championship

UNIFICATION MATCH!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Pick 'em: This title is disappointingly accurate

Canadian Championship

European Championship

UNIFICATION MATCH!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Pick Em:

Champs retain.

Konerko can't hit .000 forever, right? And the other five guys in my bullpen will eventually pitch, correct? Weird stuff going on in the Tsunamis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Champs retain