Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Mineable coal:

I Said No posted:

That's in the mod I linked :v:
You can make charcoal out of wood logs at a campfire/stove too. Same item.

oh neat, I'll try it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Danaru posted:

As for the mechanites, they won't die but the pain will be a constant mood debuff and they'll be using up a poo poo ton of medicine until they finally go away :(

You don't need to use medicine to treat mechanites - in fact, there's no benefit to using it. Forbid them from getting medicine on their health tab, and they'll get free treatments until the mechanites are cured.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zhentar posted:

You don't need to use medicine to treat mechanites - in fact, there's no benefit to using it. Forbid them from getting medicine on their health tab, and they'll get free treatments until the mechanites are cured.

poo poo. :cripes:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I'm pretty new to the game, and I'm a few hours into my first settlement and I just got a new colonist to join who is basically 13+ in melee and shooting. How do I make this person always be out hunting, and grabbing the corpses to bring back to be harvested?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Keep them armed and have their hunt tab on, plus hauling. Mark animals to be hunted. You may want to turn off other colonist hunting activities because sometimes there will be friendly fire.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Volmarias posted:

Fuel gets used for drop pods right now

Ah cool, I just finished researching those too, haven't built a launcher yet though. Thanks :coal:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
what is luciferium used for? I dosed one of my prisoners and he just kept going berserk, eventually I release him to stop having to deal.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Fuel gets used for drop pods right now

Yeah, but how do I use drop pods?

And can I use them to fling plague infected patients who may or may not be escaped mental patients at enemy strongholds?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

what is luciferium used for? I dosed one of my prisoners and he just kept going berserk, eventually I release him to stop having to deal.

Luciferium is, as the name implies, a deal with the devil. It makes the doser harder, stronger, faster, better, able to cure serious injuries etc etc. Its basically super-soldier nanomachines, except its instantly "addictive" because they need a constant supply or they go insane/die.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It makes your people badass until you run out, then it makes them insane. I cask of amontillado any that I find but I'm sure you could stockpile it and have quite a fighter.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Kind of on topic:

If you remove the arms from a permanently berserked person will they run around biting people?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Geokinesis posted:

Kind of on topic:

If you remove the arms from a permanently berserked person will they run around biting people?

:v:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Kind of on topic:

Ni!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Who are some youtubers to watch who can explain mechanics well? Maybe not exactly let's plays but it could includes those as well.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Blitz is pretty fun and well-recorded, not terribly obnoxious and has gobs and gobs of vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

If you want to know more about a thing, click the little [i] button on its panel, it will give you a list of every statistical modifier relevant to the item, so for drugs it will tell you exactly what they do to the person imbibing them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xae posted:

Yeah, but how do I use drop pods?

And can I use them to fling plague infected patients who may or may not be escaped mental patients at enemy strongholds?

What else would you use them for?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Zotix posted:

Who are some youtubers to watch who can explain mechanics well? Maybe not exactly let's plays but it could includes those as well.

marbozir has a few playthroughs. Thats what got me into the game.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Luciferium is, as the name implies, a deal with the devil. It makes the doser harder, stronger, faster, better, able to cure serious injuries etc etc. Its basically super-soldier nanomachines, except its instantly "addictive" because they need a constant supply or they go insane/die.

Luciferium was majorly nerfed as a super-soldier drug in A16; Tynan's vision is to have it as more of a medical thing than for combat.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zhentar posted:

Luciferium was majorly nerfed as a super-soldier drug in A16; Tynan's vision is to have it as more of a medical thing than for combat.

Why does Tynan's vision always suck rear end

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zhentar posted:

Did he also nerf the "Luciferium: not even once" side effects, because I can't imagine ever actually letting a colonist use it in its original form

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zhentar posted:

HAH. It's kind of useless as a medical thing because it loving kills you.

Azhais posted:

Did he also nerf the "Luciferium: not even once" side effects, because I can't imagine ever actually letting a colonist use it in its original form

You use it once, you're instantly an addict. The consequences for withdrawal are death.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zhentar posted:

From the limited testing I've done, colonists with minimum gun skill, trigger happy, two bionic eyes, go juice, and luciferium are still extremely effective soldiers, but I haven't run the detailed numbers so I'm not sure it's really worth the tradeoff (especially if you factor in cryosleep penalties). Plus it seems like overdosing happens really easily.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 6, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sexual Aluminum posted:

marbozir has a few playthroughs. Thats what got me into the game.

yeah, marbozir and quill18 do a good job with it. And I occasionally watch some guy named daroy on twitch play it but our timezones don't really mesh well for that

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From the limited testing I've done, colonists with minimum gun skill, trigger happy, two bionic eyes, go juice, and luciferium are still extremely effective soldiers, but I haven't run the detailed numbers so I'm not sure it's really worth the tradeoff (especially if you factor in cryosleep penalties). Plus it seems like overdosing happens really easily.

It's a big investment though, with those bionics. You'd think you could yank out prosthetics from a corpse.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Slime posted:

It's a big investment though, with those bionics. You'd think you could yank out prosthetics from a corpse.

Yeah. Bionic eyes don't really help with much now anyway though -- just shooting and medical tending -- so if you have extras, why not?

I seem to have my multiple colony crash bug fixed now so my next project is going to be really playing around with different ways to exploit multiple forts at once. Pod-drop drugged-out cryogenic ice marines seem like one thing worth trying.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Slime posted:

HAH. It's kind of useless as a medical thing because it loving kills you.

That is what makes it the "devil's bargain". It can save pawns from certain death in the short term (from infections/diseases or permanent brain damage), at the cost of complete dependence upon it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Miniguns completely ignore pawn accuracy when shooting more than 2 tiles away, and within two tiles pawn accuracy isn't very important. Those colonists would still be extremely effective soldiers without the luciferium.

Danaru posted:

Because it's centered around struggling to survive, slowly spiraling out of control towards destruction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zhentar posted:

Miniguns completely ignore pawn accuracy when shooting more than 2 tiles away, and within two tiles pawn accuracy isn't very important. Those colonists would still be extremely effective soldiers without the luciferium.

Yeah, I wasn't using miniguns -- switched to charge rifles; trigger happy is still doubling your rate of fire. The real question is, yeah, as you point out, whether or not luciferium makes a significant difference or if bionic eyes are enough by themselves to counteract the trigger happy penalty.

Just looking at Sight, it's a +20% bonus from each eye and then another +15% from luciferium. Luci also gives a 10% bonus to consciousness. Go-juice gives 25% sight and 10% consciousness and reduces pain by 90%, so you're clearly getting *more* benefit from go juice than from luci for soldiers.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 7, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zhentar posted:

Because it's centered around struggling to survive, slowly spiraling out of control towards destruction.

It's a "Lord of the Flies" simulator, and you have to play Piggy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Azhais posted:

It's a "Lord of the Flies" simulator, and you have to play Piggy

Checks out. Piggy was the brains of the operation.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Danaru posted:

It's like he accidentally made a great game but whenever he applies his actual game design theory it sucks rear end.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

poo poo, can you reuse bionics from corpses?

Or is there a big malus for that like corpse clothing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Omnicarus posted:

It's like he accidentally made a great game but whenever he applies his actual game design theory it sucks rear end.

This seems to be true for almost all good games.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Slung Blade posted:

poo poo, can you reuse bionics from corpses?

Or is there a big malus for that like corpse clothing?

You can remove bionics from living prisoners without anyone getting mad, but once someone dies, all their prosthetics are stuck for good.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Holy poo poo, I have the Cult mod, and two of my people just murdered some octogenarian who had shown up wanting to join the newly founded Esoteric Order of Dagon. They ain't having none of it.

Of course, having that blood on their hands, who knows what memories and whispers may haunt them in the night?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I Said No posted:

That's in the mod I linked :v:
You can make charcoal out of wood logs at a campfire/stove too. Same item.

This is the process of turning wood into charcoal, which is fine, but if you don't have wood ... :shrug: What I'm suggesting is coal that can be mined.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Leal posted:

Yeah there is just some... thing going on that makes traders rarely if ever actually show up. My last colony just flat out had zero traders for the year it lasted. I guess now you can make caravans to get around that but jeeze. Consider how rare space traders could be and it almost feels like NPCs coming to you for trade is bugged in some way.

E: Maybe it too was just a hacked together job like the romance system and Tynan used UPS tracking data and averaged out that most people in some random city only got 1 package (from UPS) and put it in the game that traders only happen once.

The psychology mod seemed to cause most events to stop triggering on two of my games after a while. I didn't test it heavily so I don't know if it's because I just used save games for the A16 beta, or something specific that happened, or something else entirely, but I would get errors in the dev-console about psychology, and using the dev-menu to try to trigger events raised another exception. All of that went away when I disabled psychology.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Flesh Forge posted:

This is the process of turning wood into charcoal, which is fine, but if you don't have wood ... :shrug: What I'm suggesting is coal that can be mined.

It has both, coal seams have a decent chance to generate on the map. You usually end up with a pretty big stock of charcoal eventually, and I have it used for fueled generators and stuff instead of just raw logs of wood. I kind of had to do that because fueled generators don't accept a category of items, only a single item reference, and the mod also splits wood into different types for variety so there wasn't just one Logs item anymore to use.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The most shameful wolf just self-tamed and joined me. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I Said No posted:

It has both, coal seams have a decent chance to generate on the map. You usually end up with a pretty big stock of charcoal eventually, and I have it used for fueled generators and stuff instead of just raw logs of wood. I kind of had to do that because fueled generators don't accept a category of items, only a single item reference, and the mod also splits wood into different types for variety so there wasn't just one Logs item anymore to use.

Oh neat, you should spell this out in your description because it doesn't look like that's included.