Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Monster Trucks' only competition is family stuff left over from last year - Star Wars and Sing. Also itself, since it sat on a shelf for over a year and the monster was completely redesigned (IIRC someone in the last thread was involved in one of the old versions of the film), part of why the cost is so high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SciFiDownBeat posted:

heh heh yeah, this movie is gonna loving SUCK hahaha

*secretly I think it will be good and at worst a cult classic for Gen Z*

The trailer looks like a perfectly fine and fun movie for kids, the backlash seems to be entirely because of the huge budget and the lengthy delays of its release.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Monster Trucks' only competition is family stuff left over from last year - Star Wars and Sing. Also itself, since it sat on a shelf for over a year and the monster was completely redesigned (IIRC someone in the last thread was involved in one of the old versions of the film), part of why the cost is so high.

It was originally slated for release in May 2015 so it got held back nearly two years.

And here's the report on the test screening:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was originally slated for release in May 2015 so it got held back nearly two years.

Man, that version of the movie sounds awesome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Was never a fan of this, one of his worst compositions I've seen, IMO. The Monster Trucks poster is legit better.

Drew is really old.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Once the 4k theatrical cut of Star Wars eventually comes out, this will be the new holy grail.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

kiimo posted:

Drew is really old.

I mean...he's 69. That's one of those ages where, if you've taken care of yourself, you can still be pretty healthy and active. My dad's 68 and he still kayaks and bicycles and poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

Drew is really old.

True. But it's just an uninspired composition and doesn't represent the film well.

But anyway what do I know, this is my favorite Back to the Future poster

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I mean...he's 69. That's one of those ages where, if you've taken care of yourself, you can still be pretty healthy and active. My dad's 68 and he still kayaks and bicycles and poo poo.

I've never seen your dad but I did see Drew recently at an awards show and he looked old. He didn't get any of the jokes that Nick Offerman was making and actually snapped at him for being rude about the industry. It was kind of embarrassing honestly. He's been retired and only comes back for special projects and if there has been one in the last three years that he's done that looks as amazing as his earlier work I haven't seen it.

I might just be projecting based on that night though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Evidence suggests that Nick Offerman's jokes r not particularly worth getting

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean, he's alright but his stand-up isn't particularly great. His best stuff is the songs Megan mullally cowrote.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

Artists change and evolve over the course of their career, even if their actual skills or physical condition don't regress asking one to imitate their work from 40 years ago is a great way to wind up disappointed. Best case scenario you get something like Giger's mural in Prometheus where it was in his newer style and looked distinct and new even if it was a depiction of something he had painted back in the 70s and was still recognizably his work.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Okay I really want to see the original design. (Though I wonder if some of the kids were REALLY little- like 1 or 2- and that biased the result somewhat.)

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I saw Monster Trucks over the Christmas break guys it was enjoyable enough, it reminded me a little of those feel good Saturday afternoon kids movies (like Mighty Ducks) that used to be rampant in the 90's.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I forgot Jane Levy was in it, and that kinda sorta makes me want to see it now.

Even though I think she shoulda played the lead.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay I really want to see the original design. (Though I wonder if some of the kids were REALLY little- like 1 or 2- and that biased the result somewhat.)

There's literally no way that that is real, dude.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Enos Cabell posted:

If they do even a halfway decent job at the tie-in merchandising, then this movie will be freaking huge.

$125 million is a lot to make back for a movie with 18% on rotten tomatoes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In like 5 years we can have some guy homebrewing a version of the movie with "good-enough" quality effects to replace the cute squid with its true gigeresque form. I for one look forward to the true de-disneyfied Monster Trucks that will scare kids sleepless for a decade.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Powaqoatse posted:

I for one look forward to the true de-disneyfied Monster Trucks that will scare kids sleepless for a decade.

Or you could just go watch E.T. right now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Or you could just go watch E.T. right now.

Imagine if Mac and Me was actually an original version of ET that got shelved for the monster being too scary.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ET made kids cry but not because they were scared.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

kiimo posted:

ET made kids cry but not because they were scared.

Speak for yourself. Literally everyone I've ever talked to about that movie was absolutely terrified of E.T. when they were kids.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was 6 when that came out and saw it in the theater like 10 times and that's the first I heard of kids being scared of E.T. rather than the guys with guns.

Further proof that Millennials are soft. :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

kiimo posted:

I was 6 when that came out and saw it in the theater like 10 times and that's the first I heard of kids being scared of E.T. rather than the guys with guns.

Further proof that Millennials are soft. :colbert:

I was three when it came out, so no, it's not a new phenomenon.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1y5Viz2EsA

Nightmares for literally 5 years.

I guess it actually is pretty scary even if it looks kinda bad when you're an adult. I remembered it as the scariest thing in the world.

I was too old to be scared when I got to see ET & those, cause we didn't have money when I was little & so could only watch what was on TV & didn't have a VCR until I was 10. I must have been at least 12 before I saw ET.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 6, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

If the story is true (probably not) then most likely one kid got scared and that set the rest of them off. Kids are very memetic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doesn't the Brother's Lionheart and with the kids throwing themselves of a roof to get back to the fantasy world?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

If the story is true (probably not) then most likely one kid got scared and that set the rest of them off. Kids are very memetic.

If kids got scared, it would have nothing to do with the monster designs. I was the biggest scardy cat in the world as a kid, but I loved gruesome, weird, and scary looking monsters as long as they were presented in a friendly context. All my favorite toys were gross and oozing and covered in teeth. But they were always the heroes.

If the story has any hint of truth, it wasn't a failure in the monster designs, it was a failure in how the film presented them. The only thing I get out of that story, if true, is that the film is incompetently made on a fundamental level.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 7, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I was three when it came out, so no, it's not a new phenomenon.

I'm not at all being serious, whatever my six year old eyes saw around me in 1982 is highly suspect.

edit: the two scariest things in my childhood were Jaws and the bird people in Beastmaster.

lmao also this scene absolutely terrified me and it is downright comical now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvwfdLdEdVA

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 7, 2017

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

kiimo posted:

edit: the two scariest things in my childhood were Jaws and the bird people in Beastmaster.

The scariest (movie-related) thing in my childhood was Aliens, which my parents let me watch since I was two years old. Question that decision if you wish, but I loved the movie and it gave me some kick-rear end nightmares growing up.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I remember feeling nervous early in ET before he's characterized. Gremlins on the other hand hosed me up

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

kiimo posted:

I'm not at all being serious, whatever my six year old eyes saw around me in 1982 is highly suspect.

lmao also this scene absolutely terrified me and it is downright comical now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvwfdLdEdVA

I saw Killer Klowns from Outer Space when I was probably 6 or 7 and I cannot describe how scared that poo poo made me then and how stupid it seems in retrospect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The aliens in Mars Attacks scared the crap out of me for years. Yet, I kept rewatching it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
The scariest thing for me was the movie The Witches based on the Roald Dahl book. Just seeing Anjelica Houston transform freaked me out for months.

Monster Truck looks like the most earnest movie made in the last 20 years or so.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I saw Thriller when I was five years old. It hosed me up right good. What's worse, that poo poo was everywhere. My older sister taped it and wanted to watch it constantly, so I would have to hide in the kitchen and rock back and forth while listening to Blue Skies by Willie Nelson with headphones.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My 15 year old brother worked in a theater when I was 4 or 5 and took me to see a special after-hours screening of Jaws.

I wouldn't go near waterbeds much less actual pools.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I saw Akira when I was 5. It was awesome but gave me some weird nightmares.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My mom took me to see Gremlins when it was originally released because she thought Gizmo was cute.

I ran out of the theater into the lobby

I woulda been 5 or 6

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Finally watched the Monster Trucks trailer and it isn't at all what my mental image was after that poster and now I'm quite upset ):

Still looks like it'd be fun for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

kiimo posted:

My 15 year old brother worked in a theater when I was 4 or 5 and took me to see a special after-hours screening of Jaws.

I wouldn't go near waterbeds much less actual pools.

I saw Jaws very young too but I'm pretty sure I was pulling for the shark, because I loved sharks.

• Locked thread