Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

:siren: NEW GOONCAR SEASON IS UP :siren:

Same scoring deal as last season, 3 dropped scores but can't come from all road or all oval races.

New stuff: dropped fast repairs to 3 for oval, 2 for road (from 4). 25% fuel for all oval races (from 30%).

Also if dirt is released I reserve the right to replace multiple tracks with dirt ovals

Vando fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bristol is awesome because the grand stands are big enough to support every Nascar fan in the world.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Vando posted:

Also if dirt is released I reserve the right to replace multiple tracks with dirt ovals

That is not a right, that's a left MANDATE

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

A whole season of Skip Barbers at Eldora :allears:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'd be very down for that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roller Coast Guard posted:

A whole season of Skip Barbers at Eldora :allears:

This could be amazing. Or awful. Or amazingly awful.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Looks like 2k cup should be done just in time for Gooncar most weeks (there's a double header when Gooncar is at Laguna Seca which probably won't be done in time), last season was my first season doing Gooncar and it was good.

Is anyone still running the 2k cup? I know crapulus has dropped out, Caseface are you still running?

I think I'm going to do the Roar before the 24 next weekend too, anyone else doing this? I'm going to have to do the 1300GMT one on the Saturday which I guess isn't great for US people. Not decided what car to run yet.

Finally, are we going to do a team for the Daytona 24hr?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I'm not a bum like Crappy, I'm still doing 2k. I donated to get a lifetime car number and everything!

I'm down to do about 4 of the last 8 hours of Daytona 24, preferably in the Mercedes but I could do the Vette if we have a full team for it. I did some late night/ early morning racing last year, and that was pretty cool (especially since we still had a mostly intact car)

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

The Science Goy posted:

Yeah, I'm not a bum like Crappy, I'm still doing 2k. I donated to get a lifetime car number and everything!

I'm down to do about 4 of the last 8 hours of Daytona 24, preferably in the Mercedes but I could do the Vette if we have a full team for it. I did some late night/ early morning racing last year, and that was pretty cool (especially since we still had a mostly intact car)

Cool - I am thinking of grabbing a car number as I like to support the series even if I don't race as often as I'd like.

I can probably do some stuff between 8pm GMT & whenever I need to go sleep. Possibly I can do a couple of hours around 2-3pm GMT too but depends on my wife taking our youngest daughter out, and she's already agreed to do that for the roar this saturday so might not fly.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

The Science Goy posted:

Words hurt :cry:

I was going to miss probably half the races and the ones that were left are most of the super drafty ones. Also, and it really kills me to say it, I'm having a lot more fun racing GT3 than the Skippy.

There'll be a spreadsheet link soon for the 24, I think Zimbu's got one that he updates for the endurance races. I haven't decided about the Roar yet, but those are three cars that I don't run, which is always a recipe for embarrassment when you get thrown into the top split.

e: did some testing in the Mustang, it was kinda neat even if I was missing shifts left and right.

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 7, 2017

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm stuck in Hawaii for the 24 (I know, life is pain etc) but I'll stop by for moral support at some point probably.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Remember kids!

Cojawfee posted:

Gooncar is mandatory and if you don't participate, you'll be banned from the thread.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
drat you Vando, ending the next gooncar season literally the week before I'm probably going back to Scotland

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just in time for DIRT SEASON imo

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
All who want mosport instead of sebring say "for gods sake please anything else but sebring."

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Bathurst it is!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Perfect!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Only if they removed that invisible wall they added and I can do the jump.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cojawfee posted:

This change made practice infinitely less fun.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I applied for gooncar but I don't own the Skip Barber so ignore me.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

They fixed it, the jump is back

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Science Goy posted:

They fixed it, the jump is back

I'll see you guys on the last lap.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

oh no blimp issue posted:

I applied for gooncar but I don't own the Skip Barber so ignore me.

added you anyway in case we do races with poo poo you do own/you crack and buy the skip

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

So, for the gooncar race are we using in game voice or discord?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We use mumble. Info is in the OP.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
SPAAAAAAACE!

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

wheel tethers really doing their job there

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

BSS and IMSA are both at Daytona this upcoming week if you want live practices for the 24. IMSA is using night like the 24 will be, but BSS is afternoon. IMSA is also running 75 minute races (I think without fuel limit) instead of the usual 45.

I'm still basically learning the track, and I don't seem to be able to keep my tires from somehow going nuclear after a few laps, but here's what I'm using so far (Mercedes): https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3vyt9lki7qsiq8/17s1%20Daytona%20BSS%20Race.sto?dl=0 It is using the BSS fuel limit, so if you want to fill the tank you'll have to reset the ride heights. Did a high 44 before the tires got all melty. Anyway, this stuff is all in VRS if you joined Team BearPope there.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Last year, I thought we could do two fuel stints before changing tires. Is that still possible, or do they get useless too quickly?

We lose a decent amount of time changing tires, so double stints would be an advantage.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

What did you guys drive last year? I didn't think it was the Merc, but I'm old and my brain is tired. The Merc seems to be rough on tires, either that or it's just me that's rough on tires, but I seem to notice that I start to lose some relative pace towards the end of the GT3 races.

I've only run a BSS fuel load (12 laps), and I'm not very consistent yet, so not sure if double stinting will work. I'm definitely seeing some fall-off in just that short of a stint though, don't know if that's going to keep getting worse or stabilize at some point. That's also afternoon though, so the lower temps at night should help with that. I'm hoping to do what I did this week and get a good BSS out of the way early then switch to IMSA for late week/weekend.

Anyway, played around with the set a bit more. Moved brake bias slightly forward and put a little more wing on. I'm still hitting 170-171 going into turn 1, and now the car is trying to murder me less. Plus overall faster, 44.6 in the first few laps before melty tires again. The earlier link should be dead now, this is the revised fuel-limited set: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjp0v7znzajsu9d/17s1%20Daytona%20BSS%20Race.sto?dl=0 Basically the same thing but with full tanks: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg98bv6nmh2tbf3/17s1%20Daytona%20Race.sto?dl=0

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 9, 2017

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

We were RUF last year because everyone owned it; I'm pretty sure because you could run two series with it

Funny how that ended up

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
We need one more gooncar week at the green hell to settle it all.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Ziploc posted:

We need one more gooncar week at the green hell to settle it all.

Season-ending reverse championship order grid Race of Champions at the Ring it is.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
one gooncar race where we actually just goonrush the audi for kamel gt :mrgw:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

And talk exclusively on the in game chat to show everyone else the amazing thing that they are missing

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Getting clipped by the overzealous guy behind you on the last corner feels bad man.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

We were RUF last year because everyone owned it; I'm pretty sure because you could run two series with it

Funny how that ended up

We actually had 3 cars last year, didn't we? We definitely had two - a RUF team and a C7 team.

Unsure if I want to run since I'm still pretty salty about people not showing up / registering for overnight stints.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I'm can be able to do an overnight shift. I just can't drive the RUF.

Also, if we're looking for a low iR to begin, I'm your man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

The sets I posted above seem good enough, if I hadn't made two costly mistakes I would've won a BSS race with them last night. We're definitely not going to want to double stint tires though.

e: Won one tonight, but I was getting run down by a McLaren at the end. From looking at the replay, I'm a little down on top speed compared to some other fast guys. I end up at 171-172 going into T1, some others are at 174. I'd try less wing/rake but that's not going to help with tires.

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 12, 2017