Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The GOP is going to be even worse in 2018. Like shits going to get really bad if the lead up to inauguration is any indicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hollismason posted:

The GOP is going to be even worse in 2018. Like shits going to get really bad if the lead up to inauguration is any indicator.

there are 33 senatorial seats up for election in 2018. It's safe to assume the house is too gerrymandered at this point to be anything other than republican controlled.

Of those 33 up for re-election, 24* are democratic, 8 republican, and 1 independent. The republicans are from Arizona, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming.

They don't really have to do anything to get worse. Basically their stranglehold on the government is secure until 2020 at the earliest.

*Bernie is listed on wikipedia as independent since that's how he was elected, but I'm including him in the democratic numbers for this post.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Willing to :toxx: on the bolded part?

Not really. The toxx is stupid poo poo, since it's what's let D&D turn into a garbage dump since the election.

But considering the changes the GOP has proposed making to ethics procedures, it seems like they know that it's a quick jump from controlling the government to not, and they seem to have less popular appeal than the Democrats did back in '08.The GOP is also entirely better at the game of politics than Democrats have been at least since Clinton's presidency, if not all the way back to LBJ. So the filibuster will only exist as long as it doesn't get in the way. The only way I think it sticks around long term is if the GOP is confident that they buck the trend and pick up seats in the mid term elections.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Ok they backed off the ethics changes.

Can you suggest that we take kids from their parents for Wrong Think again so we can just see this to it's logical conclusion.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Good to hear something positive happening. I still have real doubts that serious systemic changes aren't going to get pushed through until we reach divided government again.

quote:

Can you suggest that we take kids from their parents for Wrong Think again so we can just see this to it's logical conclusion.

Yes, because that's the logical conclusion of the conversation.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

What "wrong think"?
Some of those beliefs parents have are abusive, and they should have their kids taken away

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

What "wrong think"?
Some of those beliefs parents have are abusive, and they should have their kids taken away

"wrong think" is whatever the people in charge say it is.

So the abusive beliefs would fall under "religious views" and be considered exempt. Unless it's not Christianity, then the child's welfare becomes more important.
At least, that's how it would probably play out.
As it is, parents can have children die under their care to their beliefs (such as Church of Christ, Scientist which believes prayer can cure everything), and not be held accountable until it becomes a trend.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

So the abusive beliefs would fall under "religious views" and be considered exempt. Unless it's not Christianity, then the child's welfare becomes more important.
As it is, parents can have children die under their care to their beliefs (such as Church of Christ, Scientist which believes prayer can cure everything), and not be held accountable until it becomes a trend.

Still child abuse.
As a queer kid raised in a conservative home schooled Christian household, I was raised to believe I was going to burn in hell for my gender identity.

I didn't know all this at the time I was a little kid, I just thought I was a bad person regardless.

That poo poo is child abuse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Aleph Null posted:

Remember: You are talking about Conservatives that defend parents who starve/beat their children for not being proper, good Missionary position Christians. They protect people that allow their children to die tortuous diseases because "Prayer will save them"

They would rather their child die than be gay or not Christian. Think about that. The very group that says Abortion is Murder is okay with murder when it defends their wacky religious ideals.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

Still child abuse.
As a queer kid raised in a conservative home schooled Christian household, I was raised to believe I was going to burn in hell for my gender identity.

I didn't know all this at the time I was a little kid, I just thought I was a bad person regardless.

That poo poo is child abuse.

I agree. I'm just pointing out that our courts favor letting people use religion as an excuse for things that should be inexcusable.
I was raised the same way and my parents weren't even hard core fundamentalists. But the message was clear: be straight and cis or you will burn in hell. I was so happy when it was amended to be "you can feel that way, just don't every act on it" because that meant I could go to heaven when I died if I was first miserable on earth. Maybe that's why I was begging God to kill me for so many years (suicide was also a sin, so that was right out).
Our country isn't built on Christian values but they sure are ubiquitous in the southern US (and probably elsewhere, but that is my personal experience). Even people who don't go to church or say their prayers at night believe the Christian version of reality because it can be all they've ever heard about. Can you charge an entire region of the country with child abuse? Can you tell parents that they are not allowed to teach their religious views to their own kids?

I agree that it can be child abuse, but I also know there is no easy fix because people here are free to believe whatever they want to believe.

As for me, I'm agnostic now, practically atheist. Imagine that.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Your upbringing sounds similar to mine, and yah, I live in the south..

I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore, tbh.

Your right, it's terrible, but what can you do when everyone believes it?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

Your upbringing sounds similar to mine, and yah, I live in the south..

I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore, tbh.

Your right, it's terrible, but what can you do when everyone believes it?

:smith::hf::smith:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

Denmark will become first country to no longer define being transgender as a mental illness

Denmark is set to become the first country to no longer define being transgender as a mental illness.

Government officials said classifying transgender people as mentally ill was “stigmatising” and they had “run out of patience” with the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) work on the definition.

Being transgender is officially considered a mental or behavioural disorder by the WHO, although the organisation is currently assessing its guidance.

Changes by the WHO are characteristically slow, and the Danish government will now aim to push ahead with the move on 1 January 2017.

“At the moment, transgender is listed as a mental illness or behavioural problem,” Social Democrat health spokesman Flemming Moller Mortensen told Danish news agency Ritzau. “That is incredibly stigmatising and in no way reflects how we see transgender people in Denmark. It should be a neutral diagnosis.”

He added: "The WHO is currently working on a new system for registering diagnoses. It has been working on it for a very, very long time. Now we’ve run out of patience, and want to send out a signal saying that if the system is not changed by October, then we in Denmark will go it alone.”

(more here)

:toot:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That's really good I think. What would changing it to a neutral diagnosis even mean though? Like practically. Like how would it effect seeing a therapist and begining hrt and such?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Eimi posted:

That's really good I think. What would changing it to a neutral diagnosis even mean though?

Fuckhead crazies get told to shove it up their rear end using their flimsy justifications to "fix" such a terrible "dangerous illness" on some small bit of thought.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Fuckhead crazies get told to shove it up their rear end using their flimsy justifications to "fix" such a terrible "dangerous illness" on some small bit of thought.

I guess I meant more on the professional side. Removing ammunition from the fuckheads on the right is always a good thing. It would matter a great deal to a friend of mine who lives in I think New Hampshire, where she says she's always been beaten down by that stigma.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Eimi posted:

That's really good I think. What would changing it to a neutral diagnosis even mean though? Like practically. Like how would it effect seeing a therapist and begining hrt and such?

I believe it was kept in the DSM so that it could be treated as medically necessary care, and covered by insurance. I know that my insurance goes on a lot about medical necessity when it talks about covering trans related healthcare items.

I've been puzzling over this for a while.. The "mentally ill" thing is totally used all the time to minimise our experiences and reinforce us being excluded from discussions about ourselves (because obviously the "not mentally ill" person is better capable of talking about poo poo, even poo poo they have no experience of). But, with that aside, the sequelae of untreated gender dysphoria really does constitute the characteristics of mental illness - clinically significant distress that interferes with the activities of normal life. I was clinically depressed and suicidal before I transitioned. I'm not now.

But I guess that's a really subtle argument that doesn't condense into a nice soundbite and leaves a lot of gaps for political exploitation.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

You pretty much sum up my thoughts on why having it in the DSM is a good thing because yeah being untreated is a bad thing, and having medical recognition that your feelings are real helps fight denial in its own way. But there is very much that downside as well. It's an issue where I guess it matters what they do next. (I also wish transitioning cured my depression, though it's done wonders for my overall mental health)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Eimi posted:

You pretty much sum up my thoughts on why having it in the DSM is a good thing because yeah being untreated is a bad thing, and having medical recognition that your feelings are real helps fight denial in its own way. But there is very much that downside as well. It's an issue where I guess it matters what they do next. (I also wish transitioning cured my depression, though it's done wonders for my overall mental health)

Transitioning cured my depression. The anxiety on the other hand? Through the roof!

And gender dysphoria is a mental illness. The treatment is accepting that you are transgender and doing whatever sort of transitioning you are comfortable with.
Being transgender is not a mental illness, but the dysphoria caused ignoring or burying it is. That's the distinction that must be kept.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would worry about striking it from things like the DSM because yeah, that would immediately end up with a certain sort of person coming out with "well there's nothing wrong with you* just deal with your own problems"

*except morally, evil sinner etc.

Which seems unhelpful. Things that need care carry an inherent stigma unfortunately and I don't know how you get rid of one without the other without a general mental-health-positivity change.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Yep, the distinction is that being trans isn't a problem, but being anxious and upset as a consequence is, so the goal is to treat the dysphoria not the transness. Which most of my trans friends find the best way to handle, though a couple are still uncomfortable with having anything in the DSM at all, and I can't really blame them for that either.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

So the question is whether the GOP is vindictive enough to cut off their own nose to spite their face?

Did you see their very, very first act upon convening? You know, the attempt to flatline their own ethics watchdogs?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes, just as I saw the same drat thing happen in Australia :(

All because a state anti-corruption watchdog was too successful and found a tonne of corrupt politicians - most of whom were from the right wing party which currents hold power. To no one's surprise.

So they fired the head of the commission and nixed the proposed federal watchdog.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick is holding a TV conference where they intend to announce an HB2 style bill.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/watch_live_now_texas_lt_governor_announces_anti_transgender_bill

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CommieGIR posted:

Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick is holding a TV conference where they intend to announce an HB2 style bill.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/watch_live_now_texas_lt_governor_announces_anti_transgender_bill

it's worked so well everywhere else they've done it so why not! :homebrew:

/s

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i guess they figure it'll be harder to boycott half the country then one state

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

i guess they figure it'll be harder to boycott half the country then one state
I think the whole conservative zeitgeist is now "if you aren't fitting our social norm you better go to California".

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011
The bathroom bill put forth in Alabama says that you can have unisex bathrooms, but only if you have a security guard watching it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

The bathroom bill put forth in Alabama says that you can have unisex bathrooms, but only if you have a security guard watching it.

Well of course.

Alabaman unisex toilets are remarkably rare, so you need some way to ward off poachers.

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011
Anybody know when we're likely to get a ruling on whether or not these bathroom bills are constitutional? Any guesses as to the ruling? I really hope we don't get a federal version.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Anybody know when we're likely to get a ruling on whether or not these bathroom bills are constitutional? Any guesses as to the ruling? I really hope we don't get a federal version.

if a bathroom bill passed nationally it basically means we get to do the naughtiest possible passive resistance ever. ill be a urine rebel!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
*busts down door where an slightly feminine looking cis man is peeing*

Urine big trouble!

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

I can't wait for the fun Alabama's bathroom bill will bring!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I don't understand why

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coffee And Pie posted:

*busts down door where an slightly feminine looking cis man is peeing*

Urine big trouble!

Funny thing, the people who care about bathroom bills don't give a poo poo who uses men's bathrooms. Transmen just aren't a thing to the vast majority of anti-transgender advocates.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't understand why
To keep trans people out.

It helps if you realize the entire thing is founded on spite.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

But it's unisex

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The guard is there to keep an eye out for the many rapists that appear into being when men and women use toilets in adjoining stalls.

Really it's just making it a financial hardship to have a unisex bathroom so places wont do it. Though I'd love the specs on how much it costs to hired a bathroom attendant to "guard" your single restroom vs. building a second one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Republicans I don't think be able to get a federal bathroom bill through the votes are just not there , however they should be able to dismantle the LGBT protection s within the department of edu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hollismason posted:

The Republicans I don't think be able to get a federal bathroom bill through the votes are just not there , however they should be able to dismantle the LGBT protection s within the department of edu

They don't have to do anything to dismantle them. The guidance documents that extend those protections will just be nullified in the Pence administration.

• Locked thread