Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
So, if a Chinese person says she is from Hong Kong but says she can't speak English, is she full of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'd say full of China.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Fojar38 posted:

someone made a subreddit for tracking all the dumb "by 2020" hype regarding China

https://www.reddit.com/r/China2020/

That's... so beautiful.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Haier posted:

So, if a Chinese person says she is from Hong Kong but says she can't speak English, is she full of poo poo?

Many working class HKers have poor English. It's not a bellwether unfortunately.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Tbh, the same applies to England so I don't think you can blame them too much. I'd think a clearer barometer might be Mandarin/Canto

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

train groping story

nihon tryna get a hand squeezy

But seriously, after reading some stories in the Japan thread about the justice system over there, I'm not sure the boyfriend punching that guy was the best idea. If the cops catch you don't they basically force you to confess?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Han Nehi posted:

nihon tryna get a hand squeezy

But seriously, after reading some stories in the Japan thread about the justice system over there, I'm not sure the boyfriend punching that guy was the best idea. If the cops catch you don't they basically force you to confess?

Japan's criminal justice system sounds like something from 1950's China or Cardassia. They have a 90%+ conviction rate, and confessions are the number one tool used by prosecutors. As a foreign person, they can hold you (without charges) for some absurd amount of time in pretty lovely conditions that are designed to put you into a confused state of mind where you are more likely to confess.

I think there was a goon posting a story about being arrested in Japan and being held in a holding cell for a week or two, before being kicked out of the country. I might have been ~10 years ago, or I read it somewhere else.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There was one retarded goon who was caught completely red handed dealing drugs, 100% open and shut. They held him for months but literally had no idea how to prosecute since he wouldn't sign the confession, so eventually they just deported him.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

oohhboy posted:

I am so, so, so going to regret this but, please elaborate.

I don't know what he meant specifically but in my experience the mainland Chinese guys expected me to basically mother and wait on them, as well as tending to be really clingy.

Though there's been few guys that expected me to be an ultra alpha ball breaker, go figure. :v:

BONGHITZ posted:

White girls are easy

It's true.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 6, 2017

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

P-Mack posted:

There was one retarded goon who was caught completely red handed dealing drugs, 100% open and shut. They held him for months but literally had no idea how to prosecute since he wouldn't sign the confession, so eventually they just deported him.

That was it!

I can't imagine a legal system so dependant on confessions that having iron-clad evidence but no confession absolutely confounds them and they just have to move for an aquittal instead of actually prosecuting him based on the merits of the evidence and testimony.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
wasn't he growing weed on government land and got caught when we went to harvest it? I can see that being a hassle to deal with if he won't confess

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

My english goal this year is to incorporate y'all into every conversation I have.

That seems like it would be hard to d-

well played.

Blistex posted:

Two things I have literally never heard someone in/from Canada say unironically, but I have met people who are verging on the stereotypical "Canada accent".

I hate a good 90% of Canadian expats for pretty much this exact reason.

"I'm Canadian, I'm so much better than those loud and ignorant Americans" <is louder and more ignorant than any single American I have met overseas>

They're only expats because we exiled them and Australia was already taken.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

P-Mack posted:

This explains Japan's obsession with Columbo.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Blistex posted:

Japan's criminal justice system sounds like something from 1950's China or Cardassia. They have a 90%+ conviction rate, and confessions are the number one tool used by prosecutors. As a foreign person, they can hold you (without charges) for some absurd amount of time in pretty lovely conditions that are designed to put you into a confused state of mind where you are more likely to confess.

I think there was a goon posting a story about being arrested in Japan and being held in a holding cell for a week or two, before being kicked out of the country. I might have been ~10 years ago, or I read it somewhere else.

If you've ever played the Phoenix Wright games and thought that their legal system was loving retarded (basically guilty until proven innocent, prosecutors are highly esteemed and as a result can do whatever the gently caress they want, etc), it's essentially satire of the current Japanese legal system!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I was frequently a target for train gropers. I have unusually large boobs and people and small animals just sort of get sucked in there due to their gravitational pull.

Yeah that happened to me in Japan too, and it was particularly gross because I was 16 at the time. I'm kind of curious, how old were you when you were there?

I've heard that random gropings happen in the west too, and I don't doubt it, but it's definitely way less common.

Phlegmish posted:

That's pretty much sexual assault. You didn't cause a scene?

It's weird to me that those demure-seeming Japanese men love to train grope so much

There's no 'pretty much' there. :v:

I can't speak for Fleta but I'm typically extremely assertive and the first few times it happened I was too surprised and uncomfortable to really do anything about it.

My guess is it's a combination of repression, the feeling of control and intense sexism that does it.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The easiest way to deal with it is have an Australian boyfriend who's an amateur MMA fighter and has severe anger issues. He punched the guy, who staggered into the door just as it was opening. Groper made a run for it and my ex screamed GO ON WITHOUT ME and took off after him. That was pretty awesome.

Alternatively, be tall and buff for a teenage girl and deck the guy. :colbert:

But yeah, people can be insanely gross.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 6, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blistex posted:

That was it!

I can't imagine a legal system so dependant on confessions that having iron-clad evidence but no confession absolutely confounds them and they just have to move for an aquittal instead of actually prosecuting him based on the merits of the evidence and testimony.

That and even the shame of being arrested, even if you are the wrong person, will still cause you to be fired from your job and labeled a social pariah. If someone even fights back and wins their case they are still treated as guilty by their community and harassed as such. The children of defense lawyers (who themselves have an extremely lovely life) are heavily bullied at school for the employment of their parents.

Really, for all it's bright and shiny advancements the Japanese legal system is entirely dependent on people just bowing their head and saying how sorry they are once caught. They are almost incapable of dealing with serious, hardened criminals and sociopaths. There was one rich 'untouchable' guy who was murdering foreign prostitutes with reckless abandon because when the body was found the police would label it a "body dump" rather then investigate it then cremate the body before an autopsy could be conducted, all because of the difficulty of solving a case like that.

canoshiz posted:

If you've ever played the Phoenix Wright games and thought that their legal system was loving retarded (basically guilty until proven innocent, prosecutors are highly esteemed and as a result can do whatever the gently caress they want, etc), it's essentially satire of the current Japanese legal system!

People even thought some of the insane stuff was made up, like defense lawyers having to pay the cops to access the evidence, and people being intimidated/blackmailed by prosecutors to comply for fear of being "named" as a suspicious party.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Blistex posted:

people like to gawk at the conviction rate but apparently the US federal courts have a ~93% conviction rate so i think maybe this is more a case of court systems being bad everywhere than WHOA WACKY JAPS LOL. US courts are also near totally reliant on plea bargains, which are basically confessions. same with the usual Vice and Gawker stuff about crime bringing socially crippling shame/dishonor/etc as if this is some sinister and alien feature of the Japanese mind, if you're a middle class WASPy dude in the US and you're acquitted of widely publicized felony charges that's still not good for you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conviction_rate

quote:

In the U.S. federal court system, the conviction rose from approximately 75 percent to approximately 85% between 1972 and 1992.[3] For 2012, the US Department of Justice reported a 93% conviction rate.[4] The conviction rate is also high in U.S. state courts. Coughlan writes, "In recent years, the conviction rate has averaged approximately 84% in Texas, 82% in California, 72% in New York, 67% in North Carolina, and 59% in Florida."[5] The Crown Court has a conviction rate of 80%, according to the BBC.[6]

http://justicedenied.org/wordpress/archives/3190

quote:

There is nothing new about the high conviction rate in federal courts, although it has been consistently rising since 1973. The conviction rate has been above 99% since 2003, above 98% since 1995, above 97% since 1985, above 96% since 1982, above 95% since 1975, and above 94% every years since 1955.[4] As the conviction rate has increased, the number of acquittals has precipitously declined. The 2,371 defendants acquitted in federal court in 1973 was more than the 2,362 defendants acquitted in the six years from 2010 to 2015. That was the case even though in 1973 40,493 defendants were convicted, compared with the 850,365 defendants convicted from 2010 to 2015. Even more graphically, in 1973 there were 17 convictions for every defendant acquitted in federal court, while in 2015 there were 493 convictions for every acquittal. So a federal defendant is now about 2,900% more likely to be convicted than in the early 1970s.
Although overall federal courts generate convictions at a remarkable rate, there were twenty federal judicial districts that had a 100% conviction rate in 2015. Not a single defendant was acquitted in:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 7, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thats becuase they charge someone only if they think its a sure win

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Jose posted:

Then there's about three times as many sure wins a year nowadays than there were probable wins in 1973. Something else is going on.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jose posted:

same in japan probably

to be fair, american courts are probably a lot more overloaded than japanese ones. but still

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 6, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

pentyne posted:

Really, for all it's bright and shiny advancements the Japanese legal system is entirely dependent on people just bowing their head and saying how sorry they are once caught. They are almost incapable of dealing with serious, hardened criminals and sociopaths. There was one rich 'untouchable' guy who was murdering foreign prostitutes with reckless abandon because when the body was found the police would label it a "body dump" rather then investigate it then cremate the body before an autopsy could be conducted, all because of the difficulty of solving a case like that.

Uh, are you implying that a rich American man wouldn't be able to get away with murder?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Remember that there is a distinction between Federal courts and State and Local courts which likely have a lower success rate and comprise the majority of criminal cases in the US.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Then there's about three times as many sure wins a year nowadays than there were probable wins in 1973. Something else is going on.

dna testing makes it much easier

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Remember that there is a distinction between Federal courts and State and Local courts which likely have a lower success rate and comprise the majority of criminal cases in the US.

the thing I just quoted says the rates in state courts in CA and NY are still 80%+. also that data's 15 years old, presumably they're even higher now

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 7, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blistex posted:

That was it!

In the case of a foreigner like that, it is significantly cheaper to just deport them and ban from re-entry than it is to actually take the case throughout the entire system.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Imperialist Dog posted:

:sigh:

I'm in my ... 11th? year of teaching. It's all I ever wanted to do but now I'm wondering what possible other career is even open at this point.

nickmeister posted:

there was literally a public groper club where the leader "trained" other gropers and gave belts for their supposed level of skill. Higher levels involved jogging regularly so they could more easily evade police. They would hire women to help them practice groping, etc.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah but who pays for the groper club is what I wanna know.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
how much do the belts cost is the real question

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

EasternBronze posted:

TLDR; Teaching English is a silly job, dont do it for more than a year unless you have a reasonable expectation of jumping to a real job.

Can't wait until I can graduate from teaching English to my true career, full time hostess. :v:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Cuntellectual posted:

Can't wait until I can graduate from teaching English to my true career, full time hostess. :v:

I have a friend who can get me a role playing the evil white guy in a movie!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
legit sad I missed all the korea hate posting.

ㅠㅠ

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

ladron posted:

ㅠㅠ

China/Korea/Japan hate posting never ends.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah but who pays for the groper club is what I wanna know.

The first rule of the Groper Club is ..........

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cuntellectual posted:

You could become a mediocre MMA fighter like Roxy Modaferri did!

ladron posted:

ㅠㅠ

One time in Korea I sat down at a street vendor and the owner got up, walked around, picked up a green plastic stool, and hit me in the face with it. A table of Koreans I had just done a shot of soju with sat in silence.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

One time in Korea I sat down at a street vendor and the owner got up, walked around, picked up a green plastic stool, and hit me in the face with it. A table of Koreans I had just done a shot of soju with sat in silence.

Wow.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

You could become a mediocre MMA fighter like Roxy Modaferri did!

And then? Don't leave us hanging!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was drunk and decided I was going to make a thing of it, but I was leaving Korea for good in about 2 days and the friend I was with didn't want me to gently caress that up, so he dragged me away. The street vendor wasn't satisfied I guess and continued to follow us down the street. My friend, who had only just arrived in Korea and really had nothing to lose, picked the guy up and threw him into a fence. The man stopped following us after that.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

you're just trying to make me feel better..

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr. Nice! posted:

In the case of a foreigner like that, it is significantly cheaper to just deport them and ban from re-entry than it is to actually take the case throughout the entire system.
That's what happened to my dad (in Japan). Apparently it's not forever. Just like 10-20 years, or maybe until a new passport and number. That was in the 70s, though, without computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

That was in the 70s, though, without computers.

the way I hear it, everything in Japan still is.

edit -

Haier posted:

or peanuts

ladron fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 7, 2017

• Locked thread