Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
One step forward, 20 steps backwards
https://twitter.com/BrybryPokebip/status/817394279333171201

Latest update introduced a bug where the new last boss is unkillable :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

flyboi posted:

One step forward, 20 steps backwards
https://twitter.com/BrybryPokebip/status/817394279333171201

flyboi posted:

Depending on the crunch time and how overworked the staff is this is pretty normal anywhere. We just finished up consolidating 5 separate systems into 1 new one which has been a year long project and once finished we all went to sleep and took some time off. Sure there were bugs but we are also human and if it's show-stopping people are on call to fix it. Anything else was fixed as time went on because it wasn't terribly broken.

When you're dealing with a bug like afterbirth you're not just going to call a single dev in and go "OK! Fix it and push to steam!" You still have to qa the patch, make sure it actually resolves the broken problem and submit through Steam. Even with the fix new problems arose from the rush that people are bitching about now. None of this is a simple couple hour fix so from a development stand it's better to value the sanity and the fact your devs are human to let them unwind for a bit.

Sure it sucks we had to wait and Edmund was pretty stupid to make a game out of it but good lord it's a game. I hate hush but it isn't stopping me from playing other parts until it isn't garbage.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Unfortunately the entirety of AB+ is garbage. Vis Sisters though are much better and fair as are portals.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
First time I launch rebirth in months: get a missing poster in the first room I clear out as azazel

Next floor: find a sun card, use it, find a sacrifice room. Got the lost for the first time since I cleared my save for afterbirth.

RNG is good sometimes :unsmith:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

flyboi posted:

Unfortunately the entirety of AB+ is garbage. Vis Sisters though are much better and fair as are portals.

The items are pretty good. Not a single troll one in the pile as far as I'm aware.

Also I just want to say Wishbone is a hilariously good trinket (at least on anyone besides the lost, keeper or ??? with no soul regen) because it has a small chance to be consumed and give you a random boss pool item any time you take damage. Why yes I WILL take a free Growth Hormones on Maggie!

Edit:

Okay, I'll admit I laughed when I saw this room.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 6, 2017

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why would you ever take Jacob's Ladder? Some part of it, and it seems completely random, causes self-damage. I've got Multidimensional Baby and Death's Touch and the Kidney Stone. And lemme tell ya, Kidney Stone triggering will cause multiple self-hits from Jacob's Ladder. But it wasn't doing this when I first got it. Which makes me wonder if the Baby or the Stone are causing some weird interaction bug.

Is it intentional or is it a bug?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChibiSoma posted:

Why would you ever take Jacob's Ladder? Some part of it, and it seems completely random, causes self-damage. I've got Multidimensional Baby and Death's Touch and the Kidney Stone. And lemme tell ya, Kidney Stone triggering will cause multiple self-hits from Jacob's Ladder. But it wasn't doing this when I first got it. Which makes me wonder if the Baby or the Stone are causing some weird interaction bug.

Is it intentional or is it a bug?

I believe it's specifically MD baby that makes that bug happen, yeah.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

E: nevermind, was confused by the Antibirth item of the same name.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

flyboi posted:

I wonder if that's common or not. I just killed Delirium a minute ago.

On that note, looks like his animations also work now.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Delirium is a wild boss. Bugs here and there for sure (such as Brimstone lasers vanishing when it switches forms) but it does this thing where it wildly teleports around while launching huge bullet patterns. Oddly enough a fun boss!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So, is the general consensus 'wait for a few patches and see if they balance out the bullshit'?

Or just 'go play Antibirth'?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pigbuster posted:

I believe it's specifically MD baby that makes that bug happen, yeah.

Another reason not to pick that trash item up unless you really need Devil precedent. Jacob's Ladder is a lot of fun, and I was disappointed it doesn't work at all with Brimstone.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm trying out Antibirth but it doesn't seem to make the game have any less of the problems Isaac inherently has, which is a shame.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 7, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For me the game just keeps crashing on Delerium.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I know that code can be arcane even when well written and weird problems turn up, and I also understand that testing and bugfixing can be a long, slow process. But this is a team who have put out a patch that made greed mode crash every time for everyone. There's no excuse for loving it up THAT badly. People are having a crazy amount of issues with this DLC without even bringing up the quality of the stuff that does work. It's shameful.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Make sure you're not running any mods that you haven't updated for the new expansion, that can lead to crashes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SaviourX posted:

So, is the general consensus 'wait for a few patches and see if they balance out the bullshit'?

Just play Antibirth :3:

The new items, bosses and enemies are incredibly fun and interesting and in general it seems like a lot of thought has gone into it. It does have some badly designed rooms (like every Isaac installment before, unfortunately) that have flight/damage checks but in general it seems like they have a better vision for the game.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

SaviourX posted:

Afterbirth+ is fine, a bunch of the most annoying problems were fixed today and presumably they will balance things more and fix some of the missing/broken mod tool stuff. This thread over the last few days has been typical goon kneejerk hyperbole in response to a typical lovely broken Isaac launch.

Antibirth is also very good though so you should play both!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i feel like the ab+ items have been much better than the antibirth items, but antibirth wins boss design hands down

i didn't go too hard into antibirth yet though, it crashed like 5 times in two runs. ill be balls deep when it's more stable.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/817538270858919937

What the gently caress constitutes a "loose file"? Yeah, if you're crashing, just go in there and start deleting files. That should do the trick.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Just got the Blastocyst room in Womb 2 again with zero changes. Like 7 or 8 full size Blastocysts just loving owning me as soon I stepped in there. Ruined an otherwise good run. I died too fast to grab a screenshot, top notch patching there guys.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BJPaskoff posted:

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/817538270858919937

What the gently caress constitutes a "loose file"? Yeah, if you're crashing, just go in there and start deleting files. That should do the trick.

ah i knew it, the classic 'loose file' blunder

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He presumably means in steamapps/common/The Binding of Isaac Rebirth/Resources, because that was the old way to install mods. Having any files in there besides the game's, as in, loose files, can probably cause the game to function weirdly now that it's not how you install mods anymore.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
yeah it's a pretty common term when discussing mods in video games but he's still dumb for using it generally with people who mostly don't understand the term

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He probably should have just said "modded files in the Isaac resources folder" or altered files or something, I dunno why he didn't phrase it like that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

abraxas posted:

Just got the Blastocyst room in Womb 2 again with zero changes. Like 7 or 8 full size Blastocysts just loving owning me as soon I stepped in there. Ruined an otherwise good run. I died too fast to grab a screenshot, top notch patching there guys.

Check if you actually have the patch, otherwise send the guys a tweet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I saw a tweet saying they didn't get all the blastocysts and there will be a patch next week to remove the blastocysts but will more likely add more blastocysts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, you don't make any progress on your save if you play with mods enabled... huh...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Oh, you don't make any progress on your save if you play with mods enabled... huh...

That's fair tho.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, no it is not. If I wanna use a Win The Game And Get All The Achievements mod or whatever, what's the point in trying to stop me from doing so? It's a singleplayer game. It was my choice to install that mod and use it. Also, total conversion mods like Antibirth will be completely unusable under the built-in modding system because the game won't ever save any progress you make while using them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

No, no it is not. If I wanna use a Win The Game And Get All The Achievements mod or whatever, what's the point in trying to stop me from doing so? It's a singleplayer game. It was my choice to install that mod and use it. Also, total conversion mods like Antibirth will be completely unusable under the built-in modding system because the game won't ever save any progress you make while using them.

Yes it is. The designers don't want you to do that, so why would they make that official? You can still Cheat Engine that poo poo, but then you're legit doing Cheat Engine BS. You might not like it, but it makes total fuckin' sense, mate.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
just download a competed save file if you wanna be a big baby about it

disabling achievements/unlocks when playing with mods or cheats is very very common

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Making the game into a modding platform then punishing people for modding the game is imo real stupid.

edit: Preventing unlocking achievements is fine, because not doing them legitimately defeats the whole point of them. Preventing game progress is not fine, because if I'm gonna play it for fun then why would I want the game to pretend like I didn't even play it after I'm done?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 7, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Because the unlocks are in-game achievements.

edit: basically I think you're grasping at straws for another AB+ complaint. If it legit bothers you, it's whatever, but it's not unheard of and it makes sense considering Isaac's design philosophy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess fair enough on the achievements, because this game has a billion ones for doing and picking up basically anything. Most of the achievements in BOI are tied to your game progress. Regardless, having the ability to unlock poo poo is pretty important in a game with multiple hundreds of things to unlock. You say it "makes sense considering Isaac's design philosophy" but one of the main elements the game is built on is that you're always seeing and picking up new stuff just by playing the game multiple times, and that's a pretty vital element to get rid of.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
yeah i mean it'd be nice if they untied unlocks from achievements with the mod tool release but they didn't

so what I'm saying is you should be upset they were lazy rather than pretend they are diabolical assholes intent on punishing you for using mods

this goes for a lot of complaints every time an isaac patch drops

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

I guess fair enough on the achievements, because this game has a billion ones for doing and picking up basically anything. Most of the achievements in BOI are tied to your game progress. Regardless, having the ability to unlock poo poo is pretty important in a game with multiple hundreds of things to unlock. You say it "makes sense considering Isaac's design philosophy" but one of the main elements the game is built on is that you're always seeing and picking up new stuff just by playing the game multiple times, and that's a pretty vital element to get rid of.

Sure, but when you add the possibility of people breaking the difficulty curve or forcing unlocks you kinda kill how you're intended to get those items. Mods locking up game progress makes total sense to me because it's like not being able to unlock achievements playing challenges. I will say that there should be a distinction between visual/QoL stuff and rebalancing stuff, but I don't think you can do that with the Workshop, can you?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Dias posted:

Sure, but when you add the possibility of people breaking the difficulty curve or forcing unlocks you kinda kill how you're intended to get those items. Mods locking up game progress makes total sense to me because it's like not being able to unlock achievements playing challenges. I will say that there should be a distinction between visual/QoL stuff and rebalancing stuff, but I don't think you can do that with the Workshop, can you?

they tweeted that they will patch graphical mods to still work with achievements

they are also gonna be doing monthly mini updates that incorporate the best community mods into the game or something so hopefully good QoL ones make it in

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Can't fault the soundtrack though. New final boss is :rock: as heck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mp3gNFN61Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apart from anything else I imagine mods could easily cause save file corruption otherwise.