Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Do not use fuseext2. Just don't it will not work. Linux has kernel modules for ext2 that work just fine.

You need to run an fsck on the volume (do this just before the mounting step) because obviously the file system is wrecked.

ok i will do that i will mark this problem as solved
thanks for the help :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I was right lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i have a windows licensing question

we have a production VM sandbox environment that is designed to run malware on windows hosts, and we need to activate the VMs so that we aren't using "non-genuine software". problem being because the environment is technically production we can't use MSDN licenses, and we can't use KMS because we don't want communication from those VMs to our internal network. the VMs will also be restored from snapshots on a regular basis

any ideas how to do the needful here

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

abraham linkedin posted:

we have a production VM sandbox environment that is designed to run malware on windows hosts, and we need to activate the VMs so that we aren't using "non-genuine software". problem being because the environment is technically production we can't use MSDN licenses, and we can't use KMS because we don't want communication from those VMs to our internal network. the VMs will also be restored from snapshots on a regular basis

i think you want VDA licenses: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/learn-more/brief-windows-virtual-machine.aspx

back in my devops janitoring days i had to create an environment of a bunch of virtualized windows 7 VMs and we used VDA licensing for that. i sure as gently caress didn't have a KMS server for them so whatever licence key i had could be activated without one

however i think it was one of those that had a fixed number of activations based on some multiple of the number of licenses you buy, so if youre constantly deleting these vms and reactivating them you might run into some issues

i guess you could activate some base images and clone those as needed to get around that

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
can you revert to a snapshot? if you can then it's easy to keep it in grace mode forever by reverting and re-arming

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Perplx posted:

can you revert to a snapshot? if you can then it's easy to keep it in grace mode forever by reverting and re-arming

he said right before the microsoft licensing audit :a2m:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

i like my job, but thank you for the suggestion

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

abraham linkedin posted:

create a second KMS server on the malware network.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

he said right before the microsoft licensing audit :a2m:

if you're tearing down and recreating the same VM concurrent count and you have licenses for them I don't think Microsoft would mind.

also if ur using datacenter you can license it for the host and put as much windows on there as u want.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

abraham linkedin posted:

do you get mak licenses? we have kms and mak keys, and were given something along the lines of 1000 windows 7/8/10 licenses. it counts against a limit, vlsc has a spreadsheet with the activation counts on it. i think it resets every so often.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you could also call Microsoft or whoever your license support partner is and ask them.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

if you're tearing down and recreating the same VM concurrent count and you have licenses for them I don't think Microsoft would mind.

also if ur using datacenter you can license it for the host and put as much windows on there as u want.

he's suggesting continuously reverting from snapshots unactivated unlicensed copies of windows

Shaggar posted:

if using windows server is acceptable for his needs yeah

if it has to be windows 7/10, i think vda licensing is the only way to resolve this

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

do you really need to activate windows? we have many server 2008 vms that were never activated and are rarely logged into interactively and it is not an issue

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
welp, i got bit by the windows 10 start menu bug and lost all my live tiles

at least the start menu works after a restart so super cool, thanks satya

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

windows 10 is problemful

the wireless connection just dies if you leave it a day or two and sometimes neither the start menu or its less sexy ctrl+shift+esc doesn't work so you get real sly and pull an old school ctrl+alt+delete

although i wonder if i could just scream at cortana

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

lampey posted:

do you really need to activate windows? we have many server 2008 vms that were never activated and are rarely logged into interactively and it is not an issue

i really don't wanna be the guy to explain to microsoft why we have hundreds of unactivated VMs after an audit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

syscall girl posted:

windows 10 is problemful

the wireless connection just dies if you leave it a day or two and sometimes neither the start menu or its less sexy ctrl+shift+esc doesn't work so you get real sly and pull an old school ctrl+alt+delete

although i wonder if i could just scream at cortana

You're holding it wrong

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

syscall girl posted:

windows 10 is problemful

would you say, it is problematic?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

windows 10 is extremely my poo poo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

windows 10 is extremely poo poo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

i deliberately did not use that word

took me seconds to find an alternate word and then verify it as appropriate to the context

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
when we were first testing our vdi env we tore thru about 2000 office lics on the kvm, p good

then someone else had to deal with it :ocelot:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Stymie posted:

1. that av is fuckin' pimp as hell
2. people use live tiles??

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
my laptop (thinkpad w530) and desktop (built) simultaneously had the start menu search break in win 10
anyone know what the gently caress

edit: and now they're both working like four hours after it started. what the gently caress microsoft

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 7, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Silver Alicorn posted:

windows 10 is racist

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

somebody brought in a new dell laptop that had a task running at startup to rebuild the start menu

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
windows 10 is okay except for the part where you click on the start menu and nothing happens
seems like a pretty big regression from windows 7 where clicking on the start menu opened it every time

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

windows 10 is okay except for the part where you click on the start menu and nothing happens
seems like a pretty big regression from windows 7 where clicking on the start menu opened it every time

yeah

and it has all this poo poo in it i don't want but so does the notification button

"your copy of Office is out of date, click here to get hosed"

thortana

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Perplx posted:

windows 10 is okay

actually, it's quite bad

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

actually, it's quite bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz1_6UE2Kmw

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

abraham linkedin posted:

i really don't wanna be the guy to explain to microsoft why we have hundreds of unactivated VMs after an audit

i'm pretty sure as long as your number of licenses equals or exceeds your number of installs you're fine

also some pro posts from shagster:

Shaggar posted:

Shaggar posted:

you could also call Microsoft or whoever your license support partner is and ask them.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also some pro posts from shagster:

they're actually bad posts because they ignored the windows 7 requirement

vda licenses are the way to go

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
so glad i'm not in charge of tracking licensing at my new job. what a godawful slog that was.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

so glad i'm not in charge of tracking licensing at my new job. what a godawful slog that was.

i'm not, thankfully

but i'm point man on this new environment from an ops perspective so it's my job to figure out exactly what licensing all those VMs entails

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What's a good Windows profile transfer tool, to move a Windows 7 account over to a new Windows 10 PC?

Since MS in their wisdom got rid of the transfer tool in Win 10 and want you to pay for Laplink software (I was shocked that Laplink were still around, I thought they would've died off like LANtasic and X Tree Gold) and other software seems a bit dodgy, is there a good solution?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

You Am I posted:

What's a good Windows profile transfer tool, to move a Windows 7 account over to a new Windows 10 PC?

Since MS in their wisdom got rid of the transfer tool in Win 10 and want you to pay for Laplink software (I was shocked that Laplink were still around, I thought they would've died off like LANtasic and X Tree Gold) and other software seems a bit dodgy, is there a good solution?
lmao i didn't know they got rid of windows easy transfer in windows 10. you could use usmt i guess?

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I gave my arch linux install a 100M boot partition and now it won't update because it needs 102M in the boot partition.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Colonel Taint posted:

I gave my arch linux install a 100M boot partition and now it won't update because it needs 102M in the boot partition.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

anthonypants posted:

lmao i didn't know they got rid of windows easy transfer in windows 10. you could use usmt i guess?

Thanks, there seems to be some GUI wrappers for it, I'll check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
How can I automate exporting data from MS Access into Google sheets?