Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

That's a pretty interesting way of remembering what you said. What you said was:

"first of all, my teacher's a woman. way to be all sexist and whatnot"

This, this was a joke? I took it seriously. I thought you were seriously offended that, not knowing the gender of a person, I used he instead of she. I honestly thought you were seriously calling me a sexist, which is a tremendously serious offense.

I had a disagreement with you, and I was trying to make reasonable arguments because I thought that there was a dialogue and then out of the blue I'm being called a sexist. Now, you say that you were joking, but I didn't know that. How was I to?

i am insulted you think i would use whatnot unironically in this the year of our lord twenty seventeen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
and this is how the christianity thread rips itself apart

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It can't be a schism, there aren't politics involved

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

While we're all arguing, can we settle the filioque issue? Also is the Immaculate Conception real, and are good works are necessary for salvation? I reckon Jesus had two natures, but both of them were an indistinguishable mixture of divine and human.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mo Tzu posted:

i am insulted you think i would use whatnot unironically in this the year of our lord twenty seventeen

I apologize for joking around in a way where you felt like you were being singled out for rhetorical belittling; all I can say is that I see and hear the word whatnot used without often (and notably recently when I listened to the vile Daniel Holtzclaw interrogation video where he nervously tosses the word around out of stress and pressure) and thus felt like you were actually calling me sexist for writing the word "he." This does not excuse me for being a bit mocking, as I reacted while feeling like I was being attacked in a less than exemplary manner. It seems like much of what I say, you find personally insulting and hateful. Perhaps it would be better for you to just block me, so that you don't feel any further anxiety while participating in the ongoing dialogue.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

The Phlegmatist posted:

So actually, gently caress you unless you've done something for the least of these, who have the face of Christ.

don't prooftext on something whose context you know perfectly well. you try counseling queer youth for whom gender stuff and people making lovely locker-room-quality jokes about their deeply difficult psychological obstacles is literally a life-and-death matter. some of us have actually done this thing professionally and are aware of how serious these issues can be. you want to get sanctimonious about people not doing something for "the least of these"? come dig your fingers into the dirt on my side of the tracks. telling someone to shut the gently caress up after a stupid joke is not "liberal intolerance," it's telling someone who made an rear end in a top hat joke to shut the gently caress up

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr Enderby posted:

While we're all arguing, can we settle the filioque issue? Also is the Immaculate Conception real, and are good works are necessary for salvation? I reckon Jesus had two natures, but both of them were an indistinguishable mixture of divine and human.
All I wanna know is, are we celebrating Christmas tomorrow or not?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Guys, calm down. God is above such limited concepts as human notions of gender, and so we shouldn't let such things define our perception of fellow human beings. Mistakes were made, so move on.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Keromaru5 posted:

All I wanna know is, are we celebrating Christmas tomorrow or not?

Anyone who celebrates Christmas in any form is nothing better than a pagan.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

I apologize for joking around in a way where you felt like you were being singled out for rhetorical belittling; all I can say is that I see and hear the word whatnot used without often (and notably recently when I listened to the vile Daniel Holtzclaw interrogation video where he nervously tosses the word around out of stress and pressure) and thus felt like you were actually calling me sexist for writing the word "he." This does not excuse me for being a bit mocking, as I reacted while feeling like I was being attacked in a less than exemplary manner. It seems like much of what I say, you find personally insulting and hateful. Perhaps it would be better for you to just block me, so that you don't feel any further anxiety while participating in the ongoing dialogue.

i think maybe you don't get my deadpan humor, or my deadpan humor works better in the irl life

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Phlegmatist posted:

and this is how the christianity thread rips itself apart

someone said they were pro-life last page, yeah?

i was curious to hear their reasoning but knew it was against the rules but still

i hate threads that aren't on full derail mode

and they just barely mentioned it and i could be reading into it and be the thought criminal here

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

syscall girl posted:

i was curious to hear their reasoning but knew it was against the rules but still

i hate threads that aren't on full derail mode

and they just barely mentioned it and i could be reading into it and be the thought criminal here

no

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

don't prooftext on something whose context you know perfectly well. you try counseling queer youth for whom gender stuff and people making lovely locker-room-quality jokes about their deeply difficult psychological obstacles is literally a life-and-death matter. some of us have actually done this thing professionally and are aware of how serious these issues can be. you want to get sanctimonious about people not doing something for "the least of these"? come dig your fingers into the dirt on my side of the tracks. telling someone to shut the gently caress up after a stupid joke is not "liberal intolerance," it's telling someone who made an rear end in a top hat joke to shut the gently caress up

During my brief time as a Sunday School minister I had a kid call me up at 2 AM, waking me up. He was threatening suicide because he was gay and his parents wouldn't accept it. I had to talk him down from it. Do you *think* I don't know what goes on in churches today? Do you *think* I don't care? There's bad poo poo going down, but I'm here on the right side of the tracks trying to correct everyone slowly. We need more people like me.

e: no abortion chat, it's against thread rules

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
something something freedom deferred something something martin luther king jr something something

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mr Enderby posted:

A nature is a nature, you can't say it's only half.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HFc6x_AtWs

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Mr Enderby posted:

/me takes bait

If Jesus did not have an unmixed human nature, he wasn't 'like us in all things but sin'; if Jesus did not have an unmixed divine nature, he wasn't God and thus did not have the authority to forgive sins that weren't committed against him as a man, but he forgave total strangers who hadn't done anything to him. (And to preempt the next argument, sin does not make someone human; sinning diminishes someone's humanity.)

syscall girl posted:

Even expressing the reason behind one's opinion on That Topic is super-duper against the rules because it just doesn't go well. I love me a good "no, you're the one whose position is hateful and abhorrent!!!1eleven" argument, but I would rather it not happen to this thread.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

yeah p. much this

calvinists be like

took me 20 minutes to learn, smdh calvinists

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 7, 2017

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Merry Christmas Eastern-calendar liturgigoons!

I had to bail on attending Christmas service with HEY GAL, my eye has been really irritated and I probably have a scratched cornea. Prayers are appreciated.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Comna posted:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Merry Christimas and a happy new year of our Lord!

Pellisworth posted:

Merry Christmas Eastern-calendar liturgigoons!

I had to bail on attending Christmas service with HEY GAL, my eye has been really irritated and I probably have a scratched cornea. Prayers are appreciated.

To your health, stranger!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Христос се роди!

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm visiting my parents, my almost-2-years-old nephew is being adorable, it's -20C outside and the frost on one of the windows looks like a forest on a mountaintop, and I fully expect to end this day comfortably heavier than I am now. :v:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
The Serbian reply is apparently "indeed, He is born!" which I dont think anyone else does. Weirdos.

Ваистину се роди my dad ;)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Caufman posted:

Ah, Josef Bugman, I always knew you were a good person with good tastes. The Glorantha series has the most thought-provoking depictions I've encountered of mythology and its role and its relativity between cultures.

The Invisible God is Glorantha's closest approximation to the monotheist god, but as far as I'm aware, there is no Gloranthan approximate of Jesus Christ, the material presence of the Invisible God, who "has chosen not to eliminate suffering, but to suffer with humanity."

But of course, players, you can fulfill this role ;)

edit: this whole thread should play Glorantha together. I know that in death, we most certainly will.

This is from while back, but from my reading Malkion can be considered sort of Jesus, in that he was the sacrifice that needed to die in order to experience something He hadn't understood. But we could also say that Hreostal was Jesus as well in that he dies for his new faith having tried to convert everyone, even the Vadelli, to his new and better understanding of Solace.

But in truth you could even say that the White Moon of Peace is a representative aspect of Jesus in that it will rise and bring forth a new age of peace when the red moon empire withers away.

I love Glorantha and I make no apologise for it.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 7, 2017

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Merry Christmas, Orthogoons

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Josef bugman posted:

This is from while back, but from my reading Malkion can be considered sort of Jesus, in that he was the sacrifice that needed to die in order to experience something He hadn't understood. But we could also say that Hreostal was Jesus as well in that he dies for his new faith having tried to convert everyone, even the Vadelli, to his new and better understanding of Solace.

But in truth you could even say that the White Moon of Peace is a representative aspect of Jesus in that it will rise and bring forth a new age of peace when the red moon empire withers away.

I love Glorantha and I make no apologise for it.

Don't gently caress with the ducks

ED: also, merry chism-as! :v:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Shut up and look at this church.

Burgos cathedral is a good example of how a gothic cathedral fits in with the city. Its architecture makes you look up.

Now take that same basic awesome design, and build it with stone available locally.

Albi is built out of red bricks.

Clermont is near a volcano.

:black101:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Worthleast posted:

Shut up and look at this church.

Clermont is near a volcano.

:black101:

:swoon:

Words fail me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Merry Christmas, Orthogoons
*crawls out from under a beer bottle*
Christ is born!

the phlegmatist, i forgive you for insulting me, but your contention that I have to sit there and take insults without defending myself unless I've done as much social work as you have is weird as hell.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 7, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

I am a little curious about your interest in weaponry, Hey Gal, but neither is it too much my business.
i am a pretty bellicose person, and i've been interested in military things since earliest childhood. i'm also blind in one eye. so i'm a military historian instead of anything you know, real.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 7, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The Serbian reply is apparently "indeed, He is born!" which I dont think anyone else does. Weirdos.

Ваистину се роди my dad ;)

They did a tribute to this concept in Talladega Nights but blasphemed it up by having Taco Bell and KFC on the table still in its packaging

You could tell they weren't being sincere about Baby Jesus that way

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

i am a pretty bellicose person, and i've been interested in military things since earliest childhood. i'm also blind in one eye. so i'm a military historian instead of anything you know, real.

Respect. I have an interest in military history and science as a current necessary reality of statecraft, though I don't think I myself am an aggressive person. I'm thoughtful of the Orlanthi saying, "Violence is always an option." It's considerable even if one is not considering the role of the aggressor.

I'm also thoughful of what the 31st chapter of the Dao De Jing says about violence and war, and that victory in war ought to be observed like a funeral.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

Respect. I have an interest in military history and science as a current necessary reality of statecraft, though I don't think I myself am an aggressive person. I'm thoughtful of the Orlanthi saying, "Violence is always an option." It's considerable even if one is not considering the role of the aggressor.

I'm also thoughful of what the 31st chapter of the Dao De Jing says about violence and war, and that victory in war ought to be observed like a funeral.
yeah--the more you learn about conflict, the more you learn about what a terrible thing war is. little kids are all hoorah-violence, teenagers on the internet yelling about tanks, but then you talk to people who have actually been hurt, or the relatives of the dead, and you stop thinking like that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

HEY GAL posted:

yeah--the more you learn about conflict, the more you learn about what a terrible thing war is. little kids are all hoorah-violence, teenagers on the internet yelling about tanks, but then you talk to people who have actually been hurt, or the relatives of the dead, and you stop thinking like that.

Caufman posted:

You'd hope that things like the internet and the ability to talk to people who've suffered loss would reduce the human appetite for war. But as usual we continue to go "well this time it'll work out good".

Also if people do want to run a heroquest cam PM me, I can always GM and set up a game in the Trad games area.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
hey Mo Tzu, here's your new year's temple visit

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Definitely.

As I get older, I only get more humbled by the deadly seriousness of life, and therefore of one's relationship to the ultimate meaning, the telos, the imperatives of God. There was agonizing to do in the privacy and night of the garden. :(

And then there was resurrection to do, and the joy of eternal life and the victory of the Kingdom of Heaven. :)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Is it still bad to kind of have these weird moments of fantasizing where Crusades represent both war and eternal salvation? Asking for a friend.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

Is it still bad to kind of have these weird moments of fantasizing where Crusades represent both war and eternal salvation? Asking for a friend.

We still have the Crusades though.

The best thing if you're worrying about salvation is to discourage others from participating.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hoover Dam posted:

hey Mo Tzu, here's your new year's temple visit

you're the second person to tell me about their new year's temple visit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Now there's a question that bakes the noodle....

I confess I am not familiar enough the real history of the Crusades to answer well, but in general I would exhort Christians to consider taking up the cross the way the Christ did, and he did not raise armies to wage expeditionary warfare.

• Locked thread