Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

How soon we forget Apollo Justice

Apollo Justice has the best first case in the entire series, a unique and moody atmosphere helped by its beautiful visual and aural presentation, a fantastic second case with memorable characters, and while case 3 had issues I think how it works in the narrative and the culprit's breakdown save it easily. Case 4 is unusual in that I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially for what it adds to the series timeline as a whole, but feel it ends far, far too abruptly.

It's a fine game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 4 is a very underwhelming finale and case 3 is a strong contender for worst case in the series.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
AA6-4 may have the worst defendant of the series, but it also has the best witness of the series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HenryEx posted:

AA6-4 may have the worst defendant of the series, but it also has the best witness of the series.

I, too, enjoyed learning of the Judge's clown fetish.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Case 4 is a very underwhelming finale and case 3 is a strong contender for worst case in the series.

The finale was super weak I agree completely, but the buildup where you see all the previous crime scenes in the paintings was one of the coolest in the series. Case 3 doesn't hold a candle to big top turnabout in my opinion.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there's an issue when the characters themselves think that the prosecution's case is stupid.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ace Attorney 6 is shaping up to be one of the best games in the series, it's already up there with 3 and Investigations 2 in my opinion. The first part of the final case with the "civil suit" that of course is just another murder trial vs Phoenix was about the only way to up the prosecutor ante at this point in the series. I really enjoyed the father son bonding time with Dhurke. Apollo has definitely come into his own as a serious character, I can only hope Athena eventually gets the same treatment. Also it probably was one of the biggest shitshow trials in the series behind maybe Furio Tigre posing as Phoenix with a paper badge. You had a child rampaging around in a military drone that is apparently powerful enough to fight off a bailiff and stealing poo poo from the judge and defense, not to mention constantly firing at people in the courtroom.

Also I had two disappointing insights, Edgeworth doesn't have any dialogue for presenting your badge to him, and Datz Are'bal's name pun is "that's a rebel" rather than "that's our ball" as a 2 case pun payoff referring to him being the one sent to try and retrieve the orb

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 5, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

How soon we forget Apollo Justice

It's been Capcom's mission for two games to make us forget that game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

It's been Capcom's mission for two games to make us forget that game.

Are you living in some alternate world where there wasn't an entire case about a guy's obsession with revenge against the Gramaryes

E: Or where the main character of that game is the main character of this one

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

tweet my meat posted:

The finale was super weak I agree completely, but the buildup where you see all the previous crime scenes in the paintings was one of the coolest in the series.

Just a shame it amounted to absolutely nothing and was never even slightly relevant for anything at all.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Dragonatrix posted:

Just a shame it amounted to absolutely nothing and was never even slightly relevant for anything at all.

Yeah, complete waste of an amazing setup that linked together all those seemingly unrelated crimes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Apollo Justice is good and fine and my friend

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I was going to defend AA4 but I realized I already wrote a huge effort post about how AA4 really shines when AA4-6 are taken as a whole. Click that ? at the lower left of this post see my embarassingly passionate opinions about anime lawyers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you living in some alternate world where there wasn't an entire case about a guy's obsession with revenge against the Gramaryes

E: Or where the main character of that game is the main character of this one

Or the mobile port that just came out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Apollo Justice sucks rear end.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Lurdiak posted:

Counterpoint: Apollo Justice gave the world Spark Brushel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Apollo Justice is one of 3 games in the series that actually bothered to make a good starting case so it's good

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Plom Bar posted:

Vs. Professor Layton came dangerously close.

PLvsAA is weird in how it's absolutely fantastic for around 90% of the game and then you hit that last 10% and wellll

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

PLvsAA is weird in how it's absolutely fantastic for around 90% of the game and then you hit that last 10% and wellll

Turns out that for a story based game sticking the landing is really important

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Maybe I'm just jealous because I don't have the money to build an elaborate underground city set in the Middle Ages filled with a bunch of hypnotizable amnesiacs for the sole purpose of convincing my daughter it wasn't her fault that a bunch of people died, which I will accomplish by throwing her best friend and my best friend's daughter under the loving bus

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Only slightly more insane then an entire town of robots for the purpose of taking care of one girl.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ending to PLvsAA is not only bad, its a combination of extremely long winded and desperate to tell you every single nuance to the backstory as though by half-way into the dull exposition you weren't just slamming the skip text button as fast as you could. Like absolutely none of the detail is important, nor is how any of it works because its all stupid, and since you only just started having specific odd things to ask about having it all dumped in your lap is unsatisfying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's like two good cases in PLvsAA and one of them is the first one. That game has basically nothing going for it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

There's like two good cases in PLvsAA and one of them is the first one.

One more than AA4, then.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AA4 also has two good cases and one of them is the first one :colbert:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

Only slightly more insane then an entire town of robots for the purpose of taking care of one girl.

Don't forget the entire city made out of imaaaaaaaagination.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
AA4 was....fine!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Don't forget the entire city made out of imaaaaaaaagination.

It was actually better than that. It was a shared trip from natural gases.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

There's like two good cases in PLvsAA and one of them is the first one. That game has basically nothing going for it.

Actually, you'll find that it has three and a half good cases, because everything about the game unquestionably owns up until the storyteller starts expositing to you at the end (and I like it past that even but I unbderstand that's not a commonly held opinion).

How could you not love the ten-witness cross examination???

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I could not love it because it's bad and tedious with immensely boring (for AA at least) witnesses.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The game is good right up until the end and then it shits the bed, and sticking the landing for these games is really important.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I stopped truly enjoying the game the minute we got teleported to a magical medieval land.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I stopped truly enjoying the game the minute we got teleported to a magical medieval land.

I haven't played it, but that sounds about what you should expect from a Professor Layton game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The problem with PWvPL is that Phoenix Wright games rely on the ending being 'Ah, now everything makes sense!' while Professor Layton is infamous for the endings being complete left-field nonsense. The writing for each game is kind of diametrically opposed so I'm shocked they even managed to scrape together what they did.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The problem with PWvPL is that Phoenix Wright games rely on the ending being 'Ah, now everything makes sense!' while Professor Layton is infamous for the endings being complete left-field nonsense. The writing for each game is kind of diametrically opposed so I'm shocked they even managed to scrape together what they did.

According to the bonus episodes, there was a lot of tension trying to resolve this, which is kinda why literally one thing in the announcement trailer made it to the final game. Also, puzzles with contradictions were supposed to be a main gameplay mechanic, but in the final game, it happens once.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
AA6 is probably my favorite game in the series now. Last case was amazing and a lot of things panned out in ways that really shocked me. It had all the emotional weight of the third case and really ended the game on a good note.

One problem I had with it is that Inga's character felt kinda unfinished. He is portrayed as this evil boisterous rear end in a top hat, but there were a lot of things that hinted at him having a little more compassion and depth such as the whole safe with his daughter's letter or his rather kind treatment of maya as a hostage that never really amounted to anything and he was pretty much completely forgotten by all the characters by the end including his adoptive daughter. It felt like they had more planned for his character, but forgot to actually do anything with him. It was a sour note in an otherwise fantastic case.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The DLC case seems pretty fantastic. The characters are charming so far, and it's good to see the old gang back together. I'm glad Larry seems to have settled into his role as an artist, and it's actually kinda touching that he still keeps the Deuxnim surname on his pen name. Unfortunately they pulled the same trick they did in 3's finale where Larry draws a Pterodactyl which is pretty clearly a woman falling sideways, but I was never expecting the time travel thing to be real.

Are they planning to release any more cases?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I haven't played it, but that sounds about what you should expect from a Professor Layton game.

I get that, but the feel was immediately off once they got there. Before then it was "A fun phoenix wright case, but in London, with a Layton-y vibe to the courtroom" and then the Layton section was "investigating a mystical-seeming mystery in ye olde london" then suddenly NEVERENDING STORYYYYYY and it just doesn't really feel like Professor Layton or like Phoenix Wright for the rest of the game. It's "dumb medieval land and its bullshit court system, guest starring characters from better games".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The reason that I feel the Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright combo didn't work out despite loving both series is that their philosophies towards their handling of their respective mysteries are quite different. Ace Attorney is all about the player solving mysteries themselves, usually in a mostly logical way. Layton is about Layton solving insane illogical mysteries because he's a genius and the player is along for the ride and there to solve puzzles. I have no problem with either approach, but when you combine them you run into an issue. Putting a Layton style illogical insane mystery and having the player attempt but mostly fail to actually manage to come up with a reasonable solution just leaves it feeling unsatisfying. I didn't hate the game but I'd be hard pressed to claim that it really worked out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
A PW vs PL game where the final case involved Phoenix having to drag the truth about Labrynthia out through cross-examination would have been the hypest poo poo and probably the only way to satisfactorily marry PW plot insanity with PL plot insanity, and I'm still a little miffed we didn't get that.