Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burt posted:

Gun upgrade on the Fredrick the Great. Doesn't seem worth it, explain why I should or shouldn't take it please.

Overmatch bow armor. That is all the reason you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

Mutsuki and Hatsuharu were the bad ones, the old Fubuki was okay. New Fubuki was okay-ish for me, new Hatsuharu is still bad for me.

Yeah, I'm aware the old T8 Fubuki was okay, I was referring to the new Fubuki at T6 before this next nerf hits it. In terms of overall stats it is currently the worst destroyer at T6 - on all servers. There is literally no reason it should be getting hit with nerfs. This was also true of the Mutsuki before the nerfs last(?) patch but at least in that instance they tried giving the bullshit excuse that it was because it still had T6 armor values at T5.

JuffoWup posted:

Overmatch bow armor. That is all the reason you need.

What do 420mm guns overmatch that 406mm guns don't? You still shouldn't be overmatching 32mm bow armor (460mm guns just barely reach that amount), and both already overmatch 25mm bow armor. There may be other reasons to take the larger guns, but people keep saying bow overmatch mechanics, and the formula keeps saying it doesn't actually help with that. Unless Germans have super special mechanics behind their shell penetration, of course.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 7, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm confused about bismark sonar. Since this seems specific to the bismark, why does the napkin BBs still get the good sonar? Or is this a translation/early look issue and that all german BBs had their sonar nerfed?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Probably because the Bismarck is overperforming for it's tier while the other German BBs are fine so they're just tapping it with the nerf bat

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ranbo das posted:

Probably because the Bismarck is overperforming for it's tier while the other German BBs are fine so they're just tapping it with the nerf bat

This doesn't actually hold water because the FdG is performing just as well above its competitors as Bismarck is, and the Kurfurst is also above both its competitors by the same amount in all categories except damage. Hell the Gneisnau is too, but there's no sonar there to nerf.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Burt posted:

Gun upgrade on the Fredrick the Great. Doesn't seem worth it, explain why I should or shouldn't take it please.

They're 420. :420:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I have enough free exp to get either the Bismarck or the North Carolina (i'm on both the Gboat and Colorado), am I correct in thinking I should go for the Bismarck? I like the get up close and personal style of the German BB's. Or is there another line that's fun to play that I should be going for that can be any ship type.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 7, 2017

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I have enough free exp to get either the Bismarck or the North Carolina (i'm on both the Gboat and Colorado), am I correct in thinking I should go for the Bismarck? I like the get up close and personal style of the German BB's. Or is there another line that's fun to play that I should be going for that can be any ship type.

Get the Bismarck, especially if you have a 15pt captain you can put in it. The combination of sonar, 10.6km accurate secondaries, good armor, guns, and maneuverability make it one of the most fun boats in the game. It's the only ship that has kept me playing this game.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
I dunno but the gneisnau with secondary build, filled with flags for bb's, is the most fun Ive had in this game for a long time so I would not skip it

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

I wholeheartedly vote for Bismarck. Its everything you want if you aren't a 20km sniping no capping asshat.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

ranbo das posted:

The funny part is downgrading the sonar really won't change much, The Bismarks kill zone likes to be at about the 8-10km mark

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MoraleHazard posted:

Is it me, or do all the people with military references in their user name suck at this game?

Same goes for people with names like "LUCKY_CAPT_JACK_AUBERY".

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Stevefin posted:

The funny part is downgrading the sonar really won't change much, The Bismarks kill zone likes to be at about the 8-10km mark

It'll make it more vulnerable to torpedoes, along with the catapult fighter nerf.

Too bad they just created a skill that auto-detects the nearest DD...

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Unpopular opinion: I love battleships 8~10km of a USN DD.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

North Carolina is great but there's no beating the Bismarck. You can be so stupidly aggressive on that ship, push into caps, pop your sonar, pop your spotter plane, and as long as there's no carrier on the enemy team, you will almost always leave those caps with 80-100k damage in the first five minutes of the game and four or five enemy ships dead. Sometimes you will die doing this, but dead or alive, you create such a large buffer for your team at that point, that winning becomes an uphill battle for the enemy team.

Ship's like a Nagato with better secondaries, better AA and armor that actually works. It also seems to be an awe-inspiring pubbie magnet, I push straight into caps and usually I'll have two or three ships, not sitting behind the cap sniping, but pushing in with me. It's mere presence makes other players grow a spine and sends them into a blood rage as they enter the Thunderdome with you.

It's getting nerfed so I don't know how good it'll be then but I gotta say, I really haven't noticed the sonar being that useful. Maybe I'm just sticking a little too far away from smoke clouds, but I'm never within 5 kilometers of one to be able to catch some ship in there. Maybe I spotted a couple of torp waves before they would pop up normally but it doesn't take a genius to see those coming and usually I'm already turning to avoid them.

This feels like a very attainable, normal result to get on this ship. It just has the armor and durability to keep going, as long as you can dodge torps, it will never stop unless you tell it to stop.

OSad fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 7, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

OSad posted:

Ship's like a Nagato with better secondaries, better AA and armor that actually works.

Sounds good cause I love the hell out of the glory that is Nagato.

also

WoWS.png

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Free XP to the North Carolina. Bismark and NC are both some of the best ships in the game, but skipping the Colorado is a much better choice than skipping the Gneis.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Maybe unpopular opinion? US battleships are really good and fun to play. Even the Colorado, which has a really nice armor when angled and good guns.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Use the Free XP to get the B hull on the Colorado. It's a good ship, though probably the weakest Tier 7 BB. It excels at its preferred range, but it lacks the speed to force enemies to engage it on the terms it wants.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Use the Free XP to get the B hull on the Colorado. It's a good ship, though probably the weakest Tier 7 BB. It excels at its preferred range, but it lacks the speed to force enemies to engage it on the terms it wants.

I actually really enjoyed playing both the Colorado and the Gneezy (avg damage 82k). Did not enjoy the North Carolina nearly as much. Bismarck is great though, especially if you have a captain with manual secondaries.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Colorado is actually the strongest T7 BB

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gently caress you wargaming, gently caress you so much

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

NTRabbit posted:

I can't agree with that statement. The Gnei and the Scharnhorst are just better. The advantage is not huge but it is clear cut. They are faster, harder to hit, and pack torpedo armaments for close in engagements. The only cost is the lack of a 2nd rear turret which on most battleships is a trap anyways since trying to bring them into action in a lot of circumstances surrenders too much broadside.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

AfroSquirrel posted:

Free XP to the North Carolina. Bismark and NC are both some of the best ships in the game, but skipping the Colorado is a much better choice than skipping the Gneis.

I disagree, the Gneis is an overarmored cruiser and it wasn't all that fun. The Colorado is a slow pain wagon that can be a lot of fun if you can get into a fight. Neither are ships that are even remotely as fun as the Bismarck.

Free exp the Bismarck, play nothing but the Bismarck, enjoy this game again.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

no bones about it posted:

I know your pain bro.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

no bones about it posted:

I got a super container the other night and got these exact same flags, feels bad mang

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I got a super container the other night and got these exact same flags, feels bad mang

Those are must have for ranked, FYI.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

NTRabbit posted:

I wish.

When I'm in a Colorado and repeatedly shoot a Gneis/Scharn into the armor belt at 5-6km range and only hit for 4-5k damage instead of getting cits or at least 10k+ hits, then I get rather cranky. This happened recently during a storm.

I used to enjoy the Colorado, but that was an eye opener.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hammerstein posted:

When I'm in a Colorado and repeatedly shoot a Gneis/Scharn into the armor belt at 5-6km range and only hit for 4-5k damage instead of getting cits or at least 10k+ hits, then I get rather cranky. This happened recently during a storm.

Getting citadels on a same tier German is really loving hard at every tier, but it's relatively straightforward to get lots of regular penetrating hits that add up just about the same over time, and the Gneisenau always seems a lot squishier than Bayern or Bismarck.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Just had a team that did everything wrong.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Buttes McDuff posted:

Back during the days of the god-like status of Minekaze, I grinded the IJN DD line up to Mutsuki and then stopped. I have the itch to try grind up to the Akizuki but being back at Minekaze in its current state is not fun at all and it seems Hatsu is no better?

Hatsu was always hell, but she's less hell at T6. SHiratsuyu looks kinda great from what I've seen and the Akizuki is hilarity.

They totally should put in a T9 Super Akizuki to link the lines back together at the Shima, though. There's even a historical connection there, with the cancelled Super Shimakazes (which were actually a slightly downgraded Shimakaze design adjusted for bulk production) hulks and their slipways having been earmarked for the Super Akizuki. The Super Akizukis were afaik slightly larger Akizukis with a sextuple torpedo launcher and the rated top speed increased to 34-35 knots.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They've said in the patch notes they're working on a new tier 9 and 10 to cap the line, just not what or when, though one of them being a Super Akizuki is a reasonable assumption.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 7, 2017

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The G-unit is a great BB you shouldnt skip it

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah, I'm done buying boxes.

Spent about 60 on boxes, ended up with a ton of camo, flags, and an Arizona and Emden.

I guess the Arizona made it worthwhile.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sometimes T6 battles work out good. I got stupid lucky this match though, those two DDs should have murdered me but they kept waiting for the perfect undodgeable torp shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUQ6uHB52jI&t=258s

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hammerstein posted:

I wish.

I used to enjoy the Colorado, but that was an eye opener.

Wellll probably because you're not really supposed to slam shots in to their belt vs hitting right above it on the casemate >.>

You won't get citadels, but will get the huge damage normal pens there. The only T6+ german BB I can remember ever citadeling is actually the FDG, with an NC or Iowa's floaty plunging fire.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Just got the Bayern.

Holy poo poo... :stare: :love:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I literally got chat banned for saying YOLO in a match when someone commented about a Baltimore running off by himself at the beginning of the match.

That's all I said, the whole loving match. Just "YOLO." When I finish the match I see "you've been chat banned. Reason: complaints."

I mean, normally I could care less about the autoban system. I've been chat banned before where I either clearly deserved it, or I didn't but was trolling so didn't care.

This time I'm loving pissed. Your autoban poo poo is broken, Wargaming, when basically one person can spam another person with multiple complaints for the same thing and get someone chat banned for 24 hours.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 7, 2017

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I got reported 4 times in a battle, idk why, I wasn't even chatting or TK'ing friendlies or sitting on a map edge. Someone probably got pissed I set him on fire and reported me 4 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Iceshade posted:

I got reported 4 times in a battle, idk why, I wasn't even chatting or TK'ing friendlies or sitting on a map edge. Someone probably got pissed I set him on fire and reported me 4 times.

Yeah I didn't even think of that. This makes it twice as stupid that someone you're playing against can get pissed you killed him or whatever and just decide to use all his reports to get you chat banned.