Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Hunh.. I always thought the fold out brig toilet in ST:V was merely a chair. Turns out people do poop in the 23rd century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

So does this one!

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

Apparently Memory Alpha is as bad as wookiepedia

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My favorite TMP anecdote from the 50 Years book is that even the director didn't get to see his cut of the film until the premiere because they were so incredibly behind and the studio was stuck with their release date. Apparently the print was even still wet when they put it in the projector.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Very brief interview with Doug Jones about his Star Trek Discovery character.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/01/06/star-trek-discovery-doug-jones-on-playing-a-brand-new-alien

Just to summarize if you don't feel like watching:

-They start filming the end of the month
-He's playing Lt. Saru, who is a new alien species that we have not seen at all in the franchise yet
-It sounds like he is involved with developing the background of this alien race

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
ST:V is pretty bad unless you watch it in the mindset that it's like one of the goofier episodes of TOS, (A Piece of the Action, for example). if you watch it with that mindset it completely changes the experience and makes it fairly watchable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has no one in scify actually been to an actual mine or heavy industry? In DS9 they showed ore processing and mining with people pushing little carts around, almost nothing mechanized or automated, straight up 19th century methods. On Enterprise we're seeing a mine on the moon and it's sweaty dirty slave-looking people hauling around rocks by hand., lifting ore into hand-carts and poo poo. It always looks so ridiculous. In trek times it would be some huge almost entirely automated TBM type machine tunneling and processing as it goes, or just beaming ore out, or robots, or just anything but sweaty dirty people in overalls hitting the walls with picks.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There's an episode of DS9 where we find out that Ezri's family is invested in mining and it's all automated and hi-tech. The idea is that the Cardassians considered Bajorans cheaper than technological methods.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Sanitizing and high teching up a mine would defeat the purpose of having mines in your story at all. You don't write a story about miners without it being terrible. You have to make some concessions in your suspension of disbelief when it comes to stuff like that.

Actually, the mines being automated(by non-sentient drones) is part of Megatron's backstory in the IDW continuity. Before he led a rebellion, drones took his jerb. Even the millions of year old giant robots were just then getting around to automation.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Baronjutter posted:

Has no one in scify actually been to an actual mine or heavy industry? In DS9 they showed ore processing and mining with people pushing little carts around, almost nothing mechanized or automated, straight up 19th century methods. On Enterprise we're seeing a mine on the moon and it's sweaty dirty slave-looking people hauling around rocks by hand., lifting ore into hand-carts and poo poo. It always looks so ridiculous. In trek times it would be some huge almost entirely automated TBM type machine tunneling and processing as it goes, or just beaming ore out, or robots, or just anything but sweaty dirty people in overalls hitting the walls with picks.

It's a narrative shorthand so the audience recognizes that it's mining. Because they think the audience won't catch on without little minecarts?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Aren't all the EMH mk1 holograms reassigned to mine toxic asteroids in Voyager because they're so abrasive most of Stargleet hated them? Thats probably the most insane use of a mine in Trek tbh considering Starfleet assigns sentient doctor holograms to mine things for eternity instead of like just making a regular machine or non-thinking hologram

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baronjutter posted:

Sounds great! ...Where does the budget for that come from? We already have carts and styrofoam rocks, and we can smear dirt on the faces of the extras playing miners for free too. How would you sell it to the bosses that we spent a million dollars putting your entirely automated tunneling/processing device onscreen, when that's not even really what the story is about?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Uh duh, we just make a big gray cardboard box with blinking lights, and stick on a big styrofoam drill we spraypaint silver.

Don't even have to pay extras.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how earth has a huge death ray on Mars capable of destroying cities and colonies anywhere in the system but has zero security and you can control it by touching a pipe.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Why is it an assumption in Undiscovered Country that peace with the Klingons means that Starfleet will be obsolete? The Federation is still hostile with the Romulans, not to mention all manner of hostile probes rolling up on Earth every few years.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It echoes a similar idea among the US military towards the end of the Cold War. When you've been fighting the same enemy for decades it's easy to be myopic.

The Chinese Romulans seem to mostly keep to themselves outside of specific incursions; you don't need an entire military force to deal with them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Namaer posted:

Why is it an assumption in Undiscovered Country that peace with the Klingons means that Starfleet will be obsolete? The Federation is still hostile with the Romulans, not to mention all manner of hostile probes rolling up on Earth every few years.

SYMBOLISM

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Namaer posted:

That's kinda the point. There'd still be a reason for Starfleet, but some are (wrongly) convinced Starfleet is defined by their antagonistic relationship with the Klingons.

Alternatively, their concern would be that the threats of Romulus and other general threats will cause a rollback of Starfleet's military capability, which those in the conspiracy fear. Klingons demand you have 10 guns, xenophobic/isolationist Romulans and random threats only require 5 guns.

I think an interesting alternate ST6 would've been the Romulans encouraging the peace between the two races, on the basis of causing the Federation to gut Starfleet.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 7, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I challenge anyone to come up with a better Kirk moment.

If you ask me i's tied with "KHAN!" Although I guess that qualifies as more as a "Shatner" moment.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I challenge anyone to come up with a better Kirk moment.

"Stand by to receive our transmission."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tikifire posted:

ST:V is pretty bad unless you watch it in the mindset that it's like one of the goofier episodes of TOS, (A Piece of the Action, for example). if you watch it with that mindset it completely changes the experience and makes it fairly watchable.

This is seriously unfair to A Piece of the Action. That episode is dumb fluff that doesn't pretend to be anything else and is full of jokes and mercifully less than an hour long. STV is twice the length, and is agonizingly unfunny without realizing it while also having a wildly overblown plot about all this poo poo that should be massively important and affecting, like Spock having a nutbar half brother and God being real. As it turns out God is literally less impressive than Vger. Thanks, Shat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Namaer posted:

It's because Star Trek VI's script is "baby's first Cold War allegory" and has all the subtlety and nuance of a brick to the skull.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Watching DS9 "Blood Oath"

I think the angle is cool, but why the hell would anyone still use phasers if someone can just turn every last one off with some radiation? Seems like any vessel intending to engage in combat and especially boarding would have a tetreyon particle generator as a matter of course. A device to turn off your enemies weapons would proliferate like crazy until people fall back on firearms or someone fixes the phasers.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I love this alien woman's giant blunt in Undiscovered Country, how did that get into a Star Trek movie, ha ha.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Namaer posted:

I love this alien woman's giant blunt in Undiscovered Country, how did that get into a Star Trek movie, ha ha.

Both Meyer and Iman smoked cigars incessantly on the set. It drove the cast nuts.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I've never heard of a cigar keeping someone warm. McCoy's reaction to her kissing Kirk is great too, this movie has a lot of fun character moments with those two.

I remember an interview with George Takei on the Stern Show, where he was very proud that Sulu was a captain in Undiscovered Country. Howard tried to get him to realize that Sulu getting promoted means that George would have less screen time, but George was just so pleased that his character had moved up in the world.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Namaer posted:

Kirk climbing this mountain is more unbelievable to me then anything I've ever seen in Star Trek.

That moment where Spock spins on his wire harness to go after Kirk is incredibly difficult to watch.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

TheBigAristotle posted:

That movie is incredibly difficult to watch.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Namaer posted:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

Apparently Memory Alpha is as bad as wookiepedia

From their discussion page:

quote:

I want to emphasize 31dot's position. As for the "point" of this article, I feel it is the spirit of Memory Alpha to discuss and inform on a variety of themes, to give the world of Star Trek depth. Breasts are an undeniable part of humanoid anatomy and culture (as it is in actuality). They are relevant for costumes, design of species, behavior, medical possibility, the way sexuality is shown and taboo are expressed, and probably many more. We also have other article on MA, that deal with unpleasant topics such as torture and murder. Do you think those will attract criminals and violent people?

The next commenter noted that there is no entry for penis.

Namaer posted:

I've never heard of a cigar keeping someone warm. McCoy's reaction to her kissing Kirk is great too, this movie has a lot of fun character moments with those two.

I remember an interview with George Takei on the Stern Show, where he was very proud that Sulu was a captain in Undiscovered Country. Howard tried to get him to realize that Sulu getting promoted means that George would have less screen time, but George was just so pleased that his character had moved up in the world.

Shatner mentioned it in one of his interviews on the show, too. Can't find it, but it was from the same interview where Stern played clips from his audiobook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LBlssiAU4

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

The scene where Spock mind melds with his vulcan protege to get the other conspirator's names is extremely rapey. Also I can't help but think that her betrayal would have been more dramatic had she been Saavik and not some new rando.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Namaer posted:

The scene where Spock mind melds with his vulcan protege to get the other conspirator's names is extremely rapey. Also I can't help but think that her betrayal would have been more dramatic had she been Saavik and not some new rando.

In the original draft, it was supposed to be Saavik. But apparently Gene pitched a poo poo fit at the idea, and they couldn't afford Kirstie Alley anymore anyway (she'd gone and become a fairly big movie star), so they did a global search-and-replace of Saavik with Valeris in the script.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

In the original draft, it was supposed to be Saavik. But apparently Gene pitched a poo poo fit at the idea, and they couldn't afford Kirstie Alley anymore anyway (she'd gone and become a fairly big movie star), so they did a global search-and-replace of Saavik with Valeris in the script.

I mean, they already replaced her for Search for Spock and the beginning of Voyage Home, but I get that how Gene was, he could throw a tantrum about corrupting "his character".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Namaer posted:

I mean, they already replaced her for Search for Spock and the beginning of Voyage Home, but I get that how Gene was, he could throw a tantrum about corrupting "his character".

It finally resulted in Meyer's one big blowup at Roddenberry. He went to the press and said, "I created the character of Saavik for Star Trek II. She's mine, not Gene's. If he has a problem with how I want to use her, maybe he can give back the money he's made from my movies. Maybe then I'll care what he has to say."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

It's because Star Trek VI's script is "baby's first Cold War allegory" and has all the subtlety and nuance of a brick to the skull.

to be fair, Star Trek was never particularly subtle

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Allright, I finished Undiscovered Country, starting Next Generation. Preparing myself for what I've heard is a not great first season, but if I made it through all of TAS, I feel I can enjoy watching any Trek.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

to be fair, Star Trek was never particularly subtle

Man, I was just thinking today about how the last few seconds of Let This Be Your Last Battlefield is genuinely heartrending despite how on the nose it is.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Man, I was just thinking today about how the last few seconds of Let This Be Your Last Battlefield is genuinely heartrending despite how on the nose it is.

Agreed, the reveal that their planet had been dead for millennia was a twist that got me in the feels.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

This is seriously unfair to A Piece of the Action. That episode is dumb fluff that doesn't pretend to be anything else and is full of jokes and mercifully less than an hour long. STV is twice the length, and is agonizingly unfunny without realizing it while also having a wildly overblown plot about all this poo poo that should be massively important and affecting, like Spock having a nutbar half brother and God being real. As it turns out God is literally less impressive than Vger. Thanks, Shat.

You need to watch it again if you think that was supposed to be God and not some malevolent TOS-esque energy being masquerading in order to hijack a ship to escape its prison.

Final Frontier is a trip; it's probably less like TOS proper and more like TAS or a Trek book from before TNG came out. But it's got a great score, the characters are all spot on, and Sybok has charisma out the wazoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Namaer posted:

Allright, I finished Undiscovered Country, starting Next Generation. Preparing myself for what I've heard is a not great first season, but if I made it through all of TAS, I feel I can enjoy watching any Trek.

There are some pretty solid episodes in the first season. Conspiracy is way better than it has any right to be, especially considering it was even darker before a dying Gene screeched relentlessly that there's no possible way that the not a military of the Federation could have a military conspiracy going on.

I feel like they got their revenge by blowing up a man's head on TV in 1988.

Admittedly I haven't gotten through season 2 myself. I just cannot stand Pulaski.