Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Diesel merc guy. start a thread. like now.

Quote for truth.

I need to get another Merc Diesel wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

In other news, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a super neat RC truck this weekend for Hanukkah so that's pretty cool. Everybody staying warm out there this winter?

It's just wet here, no snow. Hovering around 2ºC but the damp is cloying. Gets everywhere.

Chag Sameach. I miss good latkes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

Exactly!!!

E: I'm going back to ignoring the chat thread. this really angries up my old blood.

I agree with everything you say here

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

cursedshitbox posted:

Exactly!!!

E: I'm going back to ignoring the chat thread. this really angries up my old blood.

Politi-chat sucks. How's your dude doing?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

:o: you've inspired me to simply remove the rest of my hubcaps.

Thread. Now.

I love W12[34]s.

meltie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 7, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meltie posted:

It's just wet here, no snow. Hovering around 2ºC but the damp is cloying. Gets everywhere.

Chag Sameach. I miss good latkes.

I think I'd take cold and dampish over the brutal poo poo we got going here. There are currently no degrees Frankenstein outside. None. No degrees at all. And it's windy.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Sorry guys, in the future I'll avoid dredging political chat.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Politi-chat sucks. How's your dude doing?

The ole' mans good. we're workin on projects at the moment. wiring 220 in the garage for reasons.
he lol'd at this thread.

CommieGIR posted:

Sorry guys, in the future I'll avoid dredging political chat.

Like religion. some things are best not talked about.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think I'd take cold and dampish over the brutal shot we got going here. There are currently no degrees Frankenstein outside. None. No degrees at all. And it's windy.

I live in the flatlands. The water table is literally 2" below ground level at all times.

My previous place, the basement walls were constantly streaming with water - my flatmates and I were advised not to try waterproofing it because it would make the house try to float like a boat in the soil.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

In N Out is basically how the right pitches every single business if they had their way.

Small, private, family owned (and super religious) and benefits the workers as well as owners.

It would never hold true, but examples like that get held up a lot.

My info may well be out of date - I had two family members who worked there about a decade ago now - but I can't say I've ever heard of any company other than perhaps Costco treating entry level jobs so well. If other companies were willing to look to those two as examples instead of just min/maxing their quarterly reports, we wouldn't even need to have this discussion.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

cursedshitbox posted:

The ole' mans good. we're workin on projects at the moment. wiring 220 in the garage for reasons.
he lol'd at this thread.

Hooray. Hope he's patching up OK.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

cursedshitbox posted:

he lol'd at this thread.

Like religion. some things are best not talked about.

Good deal. Glad to hear he's healed up and back at it. Any reason for 220 service is a good reason, yeah?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My sister threw away a paid scholarship to work at mcdonalds. whatever years later she's a GM and makes a mediocre life for herself. More loving power to em.

meltie posted:

Hooray. Hope he's patching up OK.

he's good-ish. can't lift much over 50lb directly. but he's at least able to pick up his pig of a dr650 moto.
spent our xmas/second anniversary with some friends in socal sliding around on the slick clay/salt/dirt snot near the salton sea.

(he's in back on the fattie)

220s for welding and soon to be a plasma/laser cutter.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

My info may well be out of date - I had two family members who worked there about a decade ago now - but I can't say I've ever heard of any company other than perhaps Costco treating entry level jobs so well. If other companies were willing to look to those two as examples instead of just min/maxing their quarterly reports, we wouldn't even need to have this discussion.

Nah, they're still like that. A buddies daughter works there and she manages to pay her car ins, phone bill, and normal school expenses while still having enough left to be a human being while she goes to school.

I'd add Winco to that list, also. I don't know how their benefits are, but the pay seems good and the employees are treated well.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is it impossible to have one loving thread on this used to be funny comedy forum as whole not end up being a goddamned political shitfest? No one is going to change anyones mind and all that ends up happening is someone getting the sandiest vagina EVER.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

Potentially double posting because phone.

I think this is a holdover from Boomers and Greatest Generation thinking. Our parents and their parents could reasonably expect to get a college degree, get in with a company, and work a solid career there while getting solid benefits and actual retirement investments. Even though the company probably would gently caress them over given the chance, there was still a perception of loyalty having benefits.

Now, that perception is a myth at best.

You said one of my trigger words.

I'm an X-er and in a position to begin shaping our company's future. I had a great candidate for a lower mid-level position with great short and long-term potential that blew all the others out of the water. My boss, a boomer, specifically told me not to hire said candidate because candidate had not finished college. Never mind that we have a great college incentive program if he should decide to finish his degree on our dime (or not, if he doesn't).

He was by far the best candidate, and would have been a huge asset.

Direct quote from my boomer boss - 'I had to do my time, and so did you. It's not fair to either one of us to put an uneducated person in that position.'

I have to check myself when I have these sorts of conversations because I've already been told by said boss that while 'millennial' chat is kosher 'boomer' chat is ageist and might be perceived as a threat by other employees.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 7, 2017

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

spent our xmas/second anniversary with some friends in socal sliding around on the slick clay/salt/dirt snot near the salton sea.

Is that the Bradshaw Trail (North of Salton)? I was out there last month, took Augustine Pass off the 10 down thru the Chuckawallas to Bradshaw Trail. Cool area with some absolutely amazing plant life (if you're into that) and totally abandoned. If you see a guy in an old red XJ with custom hood vents and he starts chasing you down, don't shoot me :v:

Tide posted:

No one is going to change anyones mind

This. Also, how you hanging in there Tide? I recall you were going through some gnarly life poo poo.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

This. Also, how you hanging in there Tide? I recall you were going through some gnarly life poo poo.

Coping. Better. A longer post for another day. But thanks for asking

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
In non political chat, I may be moving back to Seattle for work. My girlfriend and I each have a car and have decided we won't need both if we settle down in Seattle so we're selling mine and keeping hers since she has a one that can carry more poo poo. I've never sold a car before so I don't know how it works. Do I toss it on Craigslist? Call one of those WE BUY CARS numbers on the side of the road? I'm thinking I just search for the average selling price of my car and toss it up and just take what I think is fair?

Can I sell it to a dealership and have them cut me a check? I assume this will be the least hassle but give me the lowest value.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Is that the Bradshaw Trail (North of Salton)? I was out there last month, took Augustine Pass off the 10 down thru the Chuckawallas to Bradshaw Trail. Cool area with some absolutely amazing plant life (if you're into that) and totally abandoned. If you see a guy in an old red XJ with custom hood vents and he starts chasing you down, don't shoot me :v:

Out towards Dos Palmas reserve. Gas line road, etc. Planning a redux over spring break(april) when its not so loving wet. theres a giant rail bridge I saw ehhhh 10 years ago and would like to go back. Join in if you'd like!

Biodome Carmax if you literally don't care. My spouse sold his jeep to em last year. they were actually fair about it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Biodome posted:

In non political chat, I may be moving back to Seattle for work. My girlfriend and I each have a car and have decided we won't need both if we settle down in Seattle so we're selling mine and keeping hers since she has a one that can carry more poo poo. I've never sold a car before so I don't know how it works. Do I toss it on Craigslist? Call one of those WE BUY CARS numbers on the side of the road? I'm thinking I just search for the average selling price of my car and toss it up and just take what I think is fair?

Can I sell it to a dealership and have them cut me a check? I assume this will be the least hassle but give me the lowest value.

Don't bother with those 'WE BUY CARS' ads unless it's a busted-out huge pile of poo poo that nobody in their right mind would buy. They will low-ball you furiously.

I've had decent luck with Craigslist.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I uhh.... just picked up a WRX motor for three-fiddy?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Biodome posted:

What kind of car are you trying to sell? Selling a <5 year old car would probably make more sense to say CarMax than a 10+ year old Honda. For craigslist, place it a bit higher than what you're trying to sell it for. People will lowball you ridiculously.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
It's less than 5 years old so maybe Carmax is the route. I'll let the smoke clear on the move and run the numbers then. Thank you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tide posted:

Is it impossible to have one loving thread on this used to be funny comedy forum as whole not end up being a goddamned political shitfest? No one is going to change anyones mind and all that ends up happening is someone getting the sandiest vagina EVER.

Oh cool, 100 new posts in this thread. There must be something pretty darn interesting happening in the automotive world.

Oh.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
drat I missed the meltdowns :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Biodome posted:

More info? (Age/Model/Mileage). There's local goons that can help you judge the market. Carmax is hit or miss on valuation.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

spog posted:

Oh cool, 100 new posts in this thread. There must be something pretty darn interesting happening in the automotive world.

Oh.
Don't mean to single you out but posts like these should be an automatic probation.

So should posts calling out THOSE posts.

Probate everyone.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meltie posted:

I like cars

You keep that off-topic poo poo out of here.

CommieGIR posted:

I love that Capitalism is supposed to be great but gutting the low/middle income completely ignores who largely makes up the purchasing power of a consumer oriented country.

Capitalism is great. When its regulated. But ilkhan still thinks that there is some magic ladder to climb out of poverty because of his anecdotal experience.

I've commented to friends and family similarly: who the hell do all these goods and services providers think they are going to be selling to when they keep lower wages, laying off folks, and sending the jobs overseas? Your declining profits aren't because you're not making it cheap enough - you've left no one enough money to buy your poo poo.

CommieGIR posted:

You know how I feel about STEM.

That's brilliant. I mean truly shiny.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

fridge corn posted:

drat I missed the meltdowns :(

Did you see the awesome Mercedes wagon?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darchangel posted:

I've commented to friends and family similarly: who the hell do all these goods and services providers think they are going to be selling to when they keep lower wages, laying off folks, and sending the jobs overseas? Your declining profits aren't because you're not making it cheap enough - you've left no one enough money to buy your poo poo.

Shhhh. Don't tell retailers. It's an inside joke just now that they haven't realized that three years of continually declining sales despite expanding the 'Holiday Shopping Season' all the way back to Halloween aren't a temporary thing. Once the housing market tanks again later this year, the tech startup bubble pops and the economy goes back into free-fall it'll set in that a consumer goods and services economy crashes as soon as the workers can't afford to participate.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

:o: you've inspired me to simply remove the rest of my hubcaps.

Thread. Now.

I love W12[34]s.

Wear those steelies with pride.

I have never looked at a Merc before and thought "I want to drive that" until I saw this Merc.

I think that it is however still lower down the list of estates that I want to own than this one:

(yes, I also want one in 2 tone beige)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Terminus Est posted:

Did you see the awesome Mercedes wagon?

Yes that thing is cool

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I think that it is however still lower down the list of estates that I want to own than this one:

I thought that was an Austin Princess for a sec and thought you'd gone mad.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I'm really mind boggled how cheap WRX poo poo is getting now. 350 for what apart from blown headgaskets is a perfectly good condition engine that wont take long to put back together.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZFqgqHivZw
You know something has gone really, really wrong on the roads when you see that on your way home. Took my normal 20-30 minute drive from the part of town I was in to home, to a nearly 2 hour drive. It wasn't the road conditions in that video, but all the bridges were iced over (and just a bit past where that vid ends is a ~5 mile bridge over a lake) and it was accidents galore.

The snow didn't even stick, people just don't know not to make sudden movements on an icy bridge. I was one of the last ones to get through I think, the police shut the highway down in both directions.

Three-Phase posted:

I need to start buying groceries through Amazon or something.

The Target stores in my area are looking more and more like K-Mart - big empty chunks where the stuff I want to buy is missing.

If you already have Prime and live in an area that Amazon Fresh exists.... it's a thing. :ssh:but it's an extra $14.99/mo on top of your Prime membership. and if you were in DFW I might be the one delivering it, do you really want to catch the gay when you handle those boxes?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Grocery stores being out of normal things is super irritating. Target is out of stock on the diapers we get for my kid all the time. It is like "WTF people? How are you out of this?"

Hate to be an Amazon shill, but on stuff like diapers you can set them up to be auto-ordered regularly.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

What level are you? If you can tolerate living in the frozen north Primary Care Paramedics in my city start at 50k and go to 81k after 4 years, before OT. And that's on the lower end of the payscale in the country.

His city also outsources their ambulance service. So you know, there is that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 7, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Are there places that don't outsource ambulances? I always thought of them as private companies.

My shop was once rented out to an ambulance service. My shop used to have a cantilever crane with an electric winch that reached both bays, and said ambulance service cut it off at the concrete because I guess it was in the way.

:colbert: private ambulance services, I don't know.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Tomarse posted:

Wear those steelies with pride.

I have never looked at a Merc before and thought "I want to drive that" until I saw this Merc.

That photo makes me realize how badly I need to put new rear springs in my wagon.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tide posted:

I like this post. Welcome back! Hope you're sorting out stuff.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Looking for options to ship a vehicle. What is the Goon Suggested TM service? This place seems pretty straightforward from a cursory Google search: https://www.autotransportdirect.com/

Quoting myself again because this got lost in politichat. The car I'm looking at came in with a nice PPI which I'm going t to call on and see if I can come to a price agreement. Given the stormy conditions and shot front tires driving home is probably not the best option in a week or two....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My buddy bought a lancer/evo spoiler for his car. While normally I deride him for his ricey tendencies, this one I'm forgiving. Why? Because I get to loving drill holes in his car. :neckbeard:

• Locked thread