Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think 2 is better than 3. I enjoy the faster gameplay and not spending as much time in menus, the Big Shell is amazing as a giant facility to sneak around, even more than Shadow Moses, and I think that, aside from the bits of MGS3 with the Boss, MGS2 has more interesting writing.

I think 2 has better writing but 3 has the better setting and concepts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

uncharted 2 is widely considered a masterpiece

Don't compare the original MGS to uncharted 2. One is nearly 20 years old and still holds up, the other is known for ???, being reviewed well isn't what makes it a masterpiece.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

I think 2 has better writing but 3 has the better setting and concepts
I think I just don't like sneaking around forests and stuff as much as big facilities. But don't get me wrong, 2 and 3 are my favorite games in the series, and it's a really close thing. 3 has better bosses and nothing like the Nikita segment. 3 is also hard to put down: I played the whole thing in a day my first time. Didn't even realize it. So I totally get why most people prefer it, MGS2 just checks every box for me in terms of what I like in a game.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

All jokes aside though, Undertale is a masterpiece.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're all really really really good games

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
1,2,3 and 4 are all very memorable to me and have some of my favorite moments in all of gaming period, 5 doesn't really stand the test of time already for me and I don't see myself ever returning to it unless doing another complete run through the series. I still play through MGS 1-4 on a near yearly basis since their releases though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The one thing that's kinda odd about 4 is that every other main line MGS game takes place in a single location (except V which has two but you spend more time in Afghanistan and Africa than the length of other mgs games). But 4 has the act structures which always made it feel more disjointed to me. I wish the whole game took place in Act 3

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

The one thing that's kinda odd about 4 is that every other main line MGS game takes place in a single location (except V which has two but you spend more time in Afghanistan and Africa than the length of other mgs games). But 4 has the act structures which always made it feel more disjointed to me. I wish the whole game took place in Act 3

I love the return to shadow Moses the most, and how they redeemed Raiden

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love how tiny and empty shadow Moses is

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

For 1998 it's a game with a 100,000 word script and the best gameplay on the psx, and is widely considered a masterpiece, unlike 5

Taken with its contemporaries, MGS1 is the greatest. It marked the dawn of a new era in gaming, and there's simply no comparison among other games released in 1998.

There are glaring flaws in V, chiefly being that chapter 2 is basically a sick joke. The game is so blatantly unfinished it's almost hilarious; the final mission is literally the exact first mission again for chrissakes. The time spent running to your objective in each episode could've been shortened as well. This is why I rate 3 above it.

Even with these things in mind I can't see how a game as primitive as MGS1 even approaches V's quality in terms of any aspect other than story.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

progress is an illusion, see: mgs2

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
2 will always be my favorite, it's the first game I got with my PS2 and I played it over and over and over. I think I only beat MGS1 once, twice if you count Twin Snakes

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

mgs2 is cool cause its in a weird place between the absolute cutting edge but still with some visible remnants of like the original msx/nes design

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

i guess most mgs is like that, like mgs1 being a remake of mg2 and whatever. but after mgs2 the 2d stuff started to become more and more irrelevant

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
The MGS saga stands together as one story, nitpicking it is like nitpicking the bible sorry

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I will never call any MGS "bad" or "the worst" because together they make one great tapestry.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I will never call any MGS "bad" or "the worst" because together they make one great tapestry.

This

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Black Baby Goku posted:

I love the return to shadow Moses the most, and how they redeemed Raiden

the Rex vs Ray fight is the greatest boss fight for me

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i think it was bbg that said it but i agree somewhat, V is a really awesome game but i dont see myself going back and replaying it over and over again like i do with literally every other metal gear game. it is completely devoid of charm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's because it's 80 hours long. You can replay MGS1 in an afternoon

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

It's because it's 80 hours long. You can replay MGS1 in an afternoon

That's not why

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I totally agree that mgsv is kinda empty and like dry? but I still like it. and like people have said miller and ocelot are great.

its kinda unique in that the snake character doesn't really have a character, so its the first mgs w/a kind of like, link/mario/chrono style player insert character instead of a real character. but I think it works.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Zas posted:

I totally agree that mgsv is kinda empty and like dry? but I still like it. and like people have said miller and ocelot are great.

its kinda unique in that the snake character doesn't really have a character, so its the first mgs w/a kind of like, link/mario/chrono style player insert character instead of a real character. but I think it works.

its not that it works, its that the game still is fun to play despite it. the story of V is poopy rear end dicks from my balls and if the gameplay wasnt completely perfect like it is i would have been really disappointed in the game. but the gameplay does pwn so i still love it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hospital intro + truth tapes saved MGSVs story for me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Plot wise I think of it as a weird ambitious spinoff focusing on secondary and background characters, 3xploring what it's like to be a pawn of the crazy MGS power games (or a pawn of a pawn I guess) with some interesting backstory stuff about Zero and BB. Like Kojima says it's not MGS5 it's MGS Vee.

If you don't buy that I can see why you'd just hate it to be fair

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I still think it's insanely funny that Skull Face spent 9 years perfecting his evil villain speech down to the full tour of his facility and timing, only to tell it to the wrong person, who didn't care

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I still think it's insanely funny that Skull Face spent 9 years perfecting his evil villain speech down to the full tour of his facility and timing, only to tell it to the wrong person, who didn't care

[stares silently]

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I didn'tt realize David Hayter cowrote the first X-Men movies lol
Also he was Lupin in Castle of Cagliostro? sounds cool I never watched the dub

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zas posted:

I didn'tt realize David Hayter cowrote the first X-Men movies lol
Also he was Lupin in Castle of Cagliostro? sounds cool I never watched the dub

I didn't realize a bunch of stupid poo poo that has nothing to do with the conversation as well LOL. Any other cool trivia you would regale us with?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I got 100% in MGSV for PS4 and I've almost got 100% in the Steam version

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I got 100% in MGSV for PS4 and I've almost got 100% in the Steam version
Same, actually. I love it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

I didn't realize a bunch of stupid poo poo that has nothing to do with the conversation as well LOL. Any other cool trivia you would regale us with?

Uncalled for.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

bbg is extremely salty this week

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorry everyone but I'm not gonna stand for people saying MGS 1 is primitive and ranking 5 above any of the other 4

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I love mgs1 thats why I was talking about the voice actor for solid snake and his interesting life

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've only ever played Twin Snakes but I played it like 12 times

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Twin Snakes is win and all haters of it can meet me outside to get attacked with a shotgun

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I get that the new controls made some parts too easy but all MGS games are easy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I get that the new controls made some parts too easy but all MGS games are easy lol

Yeah I guess if you play on easy mode

• Locked thread