Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

gently caress you think that's bad? I played Jade Empire and it had a threesome! Just ripping off the Witcher left and right.

Honestly, it gets better: they can kick you out and continue by themselves. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, it gets better: they can kick you out and continue by themselves. :v:

Which is a bit weird, seeing as how they're cousins.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Paragon Vs Renegade:
"I'm going to tell you to kill yourself/execute these brainwashed prisoners now. Would you like me nice about it, or call you a pussy?" The end goal of just trying to do your drat job saving the universe as the emphasis, was nice. Even if it was hardly perfect either, it made the stupid gently caress ups just a little bit less stupid.

Compared to "The rules of Vampire land mean if you accidentally kill a hobo twice, hand over your character sheet for the loss of humanity. Now, the rest of you go report back to hundreds year old vampire Joseph Stalin who remains perfectly functional." brand morality systems.

The best paragon/renegade choice is

Paragon: Exterminate Quarians

Renegade: Exterminate Geth

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

Which is a bit weird, seeing as how they're cousins.

They don't know they're cousins at that point in the story.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

They don't know they're cousins at that point in the story.

Don't they? It's been a while, but I thought the romance plots resolved after you find out that Master Li is Dawnstar's dad.

Either way, awkward.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked the Jade Empire combat. Turning people into bonsai formations and then exploding them was a hoot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It got a bit tedious after a while, but that's combat in most RPGs. I remember Jade Empire pretty fondly. Any setting that isn't just Medieval fantasy world #728 gets a plus from me, and the plot twist was actually pretty clever.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Skippy McPants posted:

It got a bit tedious after a while, but that's combat in most RPGs. I remember Jade Empire pretty fondly. Any setting that isn't just Medieval fantasy world #728 gets a plus from me, and the plot twist was actually pretty clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqaCEPwWGtc

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Har. I do wonder, though. I know Jade Empire borrowed pretty much all of its tropes and plot beats from pulp Kung Fu films, and was whole "gifted pupil purposely trained with a secret vulnerability" thing lifted from one of them?

tenshianna
Oct 31, 2012

Leaked audio file proves Liara's showing up in Andromeda:

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_ojc5qhtnQa1qkbwd6o1.mp3

:liara:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Been looking up some footage on Youtube about the game, since it's being mentioned more frequently again all over the place. Obviously it doesn't divulge much about the story, but the combat kind of looks like a chaotic mess. Didn't really do much for me. Also, why are there plenty of humans, Krogans and poo poo already somewhat established in the Andromeda galaxy? Wasn't the shtick that nuSherpard was there first?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

tenshianna posted:

oh my god

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Been looking up some footage on Youtube about the game, since it's being mentioned more frequently again all over the place. Obviously it doesn't divulge much about the story, but the combat kind of looks like a chaotic mess. Didn't really do much for me. Also, why are there plenty of humans, Krogans and poo poo already somewhat established in the Andromeda galaxy? Wasn't the shtick that nuSherpard was there first?

Re Combat: The game is built on the same engine as Dragon Age: Inquisition, so even odds the combat will be a total cluster gently caress. Cross your fingers!

Re Races: Stuff got fubar, and some folks arrived at the wrong time, got lost, etc., whatever justification we can come up with to skip having to develop a bunch of established native species cause that poo poo is expensive.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think what bugs me is that jumpy poo poo. Before, it was kinda optional hidden behind the biotic stuff, the cover and pewpew worked fine on its own. But Andromeda seems to have plenty of large enemies sprinting at you and wants you to make use of the jetpack to bounce around and away. At least that's the impression of the few snippers I've seen.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Some stuff happend and some ships got there late or something

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Re Combat: The game is built on the same engine as Dragon Age: Inquisition, so even odds the combat will be a total cluster gently caress. Cross your fingers!

Yeah man, the Battlefield engine is going to be poo poo for shooting!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

tenshianna posted:

I hope she does the graey alien Riddick post next.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think what bugs me is that jumpy poo poo. Before, it was kinda optional hidden behind the biotic stuff, the cover and pewpew worked fine on its own. But Andromeda seems to have plenty of large enemies sprinting at you and wants you to make use of the jetpack to bounce around and away. At least that's the impression of the few snippers I've seen.

Keep in mind, a lot of that is them juicing it to the max for trailer purposes. If you go back and look at the combat in earlier ME trailers, you'll see bunch of Vanguards charging around all over the place because that looks zippy and frenetic in quick cuts. I'd be shocked if the actual game didn't also have the more methodical sniper and biotic playstyles. Those just don't get any screen time, cause they're not xtreme enough.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

Keep in mind, a lot of that is them juicing it to the max for trailer purposes. If you go back and look at the combat in earlier ME trailers, you'll see bunch of Vanguards charging around all over the place because that looks zippy and frenetic in quick cuts. I'd be shocked if the actual game didn't also have the more methodical sniper and biotic playstyles. Those just don't get any screen time, cause they're not xtreme enough.

Or the debuff and control style that pure tech has leaned towards throughout the series.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Veotax posted:

Yeah man, the Battlefield engine is going to be poo poo for shooting!

I didn't say the shooting would be bad, I said the whole combat system might be a mess. A lot of the powers in DA:I were clunky and poorly designed, so I'm not so sure it'll be different here.

On the upside, they're going with a "no classes" system, so there ought to be at least a handful of powers that are effective and feel good to use somewhere in the bundle.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drifter posted:

Pull is one of the best talents.
It was fun, but Lash was better at being fun and Throw was better at being useful.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nerdz posted:

You gotta remember that bioware started saying poo poo like this when developing inquisition:

That's why the game is a snoozefest. I remember when people played Bioware games to avoid Bethesda games.

to be fair. they are trying hard as gently caress to make up for the abortion that was DA2: one city, one dungeon and basement.

Skippy McPants posted:

Re Races: Stuff got fubar, and some folks arrived at the wrong time, got lost, etc., whatever justification we can come up with to skip having to develop a bunch of established native species cause that poo poo is expensive.

i doubt the combat will be as bad as inquestion. inquestion(in my opinion) had the same problem final fantasy 13 had. it didnt know what it wanted to be. personaly i would rather have just active regular combat like witcher 3 or even final fantasy 15 then the half baked MMO poo poo in inquestion.

my guess is the combat will be like 3 but with some stat poo poo from 1.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i doubt the combat will be as bad as inquestion. inquestion(in my opinion) had the same problem final fantasy 13 had. it didnt know what it wanted to be. personaly i would rather have just active regular combat like witcher 3 or even final fantasy 15 then the half baked MMO poo poo in inquestion.

The Dragon Age series has been clinging to the "tactical RPG" concept like a diseased limpet since its inception. They are stubbornly unwilling to give up on the idea of cramming both an old-school party-based RPG and a modern 3rd person action RPGs into a single shell. It's awful. They need to get over it, settle on one, and cut the other loose.

I agree the combat is unlike to be as bad as Inquisition. As you point out, they seem to have a much better idea of what the core combat in ME is.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

[quote=
Aaryn Flynn]
Last I checked, we were like other Frostbite games on PS4 and XBox One - 1080p and 900p respectively. All are at 30 fps. PC has uncapped framerate. I think we've even gotten over the 30 fps cap in cutscenes, but I'll double-check in the next couple of weeks. [/quote]

Pretty much expected consoles, unfortunately. I'm glad they resolved that cutscene garbage on PC though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Pretty much expected consoles, unfortunately. I'm glad they resolved that cutscene garbage on PC though.

Have anyone ever expected modern games to run at over 30 on a console?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

tenshianna posted:

:laffo:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skippy McPants posted:

Overwatch does, MGSV does, some CoDs do.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sure, but isn't it always a rare exception rather than the expected standard?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I feel like overwatch is a special exception cause blizzard has been making games run smoothly on potato computers for years. It's kinda one of their things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Skippy McPants posted:

some do. mostly dice and the various cods as well as few others. ill be a weird gently caress and say while i love 60fps, i dont really care one way or another as long as it doesnt crash.

Skippy McPants posted:

The Dragon Age series has been clinging to the "tactical RPG" concept like a diseased limpet since its inception. They are stubbornly unwilling to give up on the idea of cramming both an old-school party-based RPG and a modern 3rd person action RPGs into a single shell. It's awful. They need to get over it, settle on one, and cut the other loose.

I agree the combat is unlike to be as bad as Inquisition. As you point out, they seem to have a much better idea of what the core combat in ME is.

this.id honestly prefer if it went full witcher like combat(but improved) but that's me. 2 felt like it was headed in that direction but 2 was also terrible. mass effect outside of 1 doesnt really have issues with combat and i am sure andromda will be fine in that regard. i am more worried about the story and characters sucking.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

some do. mostly dice and the various cods as well as few others. ill be a weird gently caress and say while i love 60fps, i dont really care one way or another as long as it doesnt crash.

this.id honestly prefer if it went full witcher like combat(but improved) but that's me. 2 felt like it was headed in that direction but 2 was also terrible. mass effect outside of 1 doesnt really have issues with combat and i am sure andromda will be fine in that regard. i am more worried about the story and characters sucking.

Oh, it's Bioware. We know every character will suck, and there'll probably be cutscenes leading up to that once you start romancing them. :liara:
I just hope the characters are well written, and interact well in the game.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Drifter posted:

Oh, it's Bioware. We know every character will suck, and there'll probably be cutscenes leading up to that once you start romancing them. :liara:
I just hope the characters are well written, and interact well in the game.

I just worry Bioware will make the new group of companions to be shallow copies of the original ME characters. Like they are going to try to force the female Turian into gender swapped Garrus without really understanding why every one lived him.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BexGu posted:

I just worry Bioware will make the new group of companions to be shallow copies of the original ME characters. Like they are going to try to force the female Turian into gender swapped Garrus without really understanding why every one lived him.

Now, people are going to say, there's no need for additional marketing material.

However, a short one minute video demonstrating how their cast of characters are cool and unique would put at least this idea to rest.

I mean, it's not like ME2 did it five months prior to their release date.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Milky Moor posted:

Now, people are going to say, there's no need for additional marketing material.

However, a short one minute video demonstrating how their cast of characters are cool and unique would put at least this idea to rest.

I mean, it's not like ME2 did it five months prior to their release date.

What are you talking about? We already got a two minute lovely mockumentary about the two Ryder voice actors.

That's not enough for you animals? smh

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

What are you talking about? We already got a two minute lovely mockumentary about the two Ryder voice actors.

That's not enough for you animals? smh

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That's a very friendly looking teenage boy asari.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Peebee's name (Peebee) is a reference to the character Princess Bubblegum from the animated TV phenomenon Adventure Time.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Skippy McPants posted:

I didn't say the shooting would be bad, I said the whole combat system might be a mess. A lot of the powers in DA:I were clunky and poorly designed, so I'm not so sure it'll be different here.

On the upside, they're going with a "no classes" system, so there ought to be at least a handful of powers that are effective and feel good to use somewhere in the bundle.

Isn't that a per game problem rather than an engine problem?

Also you're full of poo poo if you say with any amount of certainty one way or the other that this game will be poo poo/amazing. Wait and loving see you god drat grogs. Decoding what's going on from rumors and playing trailers backwards to listen for satan is dumb as gently caress and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for not just doing literally anything else than claiming poo poo about the game that is provably wrong from earlier trailers.

The smart money is it'll just be another bioware RPG, with everything that goes with that. If you hate bioware RPGs lately chances are it's not for you, if you like bioware RPGs lately chances are you'll like it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 7, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also you're full of poo poo if you say with any amount of certainty one way or the other that this game will be poo poo/amazing. Wait and loving see you god drat grogs. Decoding what's going on from rumors and playing trailers backwards to listen for satan is dumb as gently caress and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for not just doing literally anything else than claiming poo poo about the game that is provably wrong from earlier trailers.

The smart money is it'll just be another bioware RPG, with everything that goes with that. If you hate bioware RPGs lately chances are it's not for you, if you like bioware RPGs lately chances are you'll like it.

Sure, but with everything else being equal, a Bioware game with minimal mmo filler quest/game design vs one with DA:Inq levels of maximal mmo filler quest/game design could seriously make or break the game.

And yeah, we don't know. But it's definitely cause for concern - seeing as I don't think there's really any "cinematic" rpg experience set in space like this. Zero future-space rpgs, that aren't D-grade SPiders' games or whatever. Mankind DIvided is *close* (after a fashion), but I DO enjoy the combat gameplay of the Mass Effect series.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Maybe? Whatever the cause, the combat in Bioware games has always been fairly middling. ME 3 is probably the best they've done, and it is by no means immaculate.

Also, you seem to be projecting a lot of aggression on to me, for some reason. I think Andromeda is likely to be a good game. I like Bioware RPGs—I even liked Dragon Age 2—but I can enjoy their output while still being critical of the areas where they tend to fall short.