Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd go with "you've got a situation that could probably be a premise for a horror story, but the protagonist is someone not only equipped to handle it, but probably someone who deal with poo poo like this for a living." Cities are kind of incidental, they're just a side-product of the story taking place in modernity, since you need modernity for supernatural to be supernatural and not just, like, oh of course ghosts and the Devil are real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
It's pretty weird to read Revanche after Daniel Faust looking for the cosmic overstory elements that are allegedly shared and detailed in the later Faust books. I thought Mari was the Revanche universe's Paladin equivalent. :lol:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

angel opportunity posted:

Reading the blurb, it sounds a lot like "fantasy taking place in a city." Isn't that urban fantasy? To me, Perdido Street Station is urban fantasy as well.

Or is it only really urban fantasy if it takes place in London?

I've always found Urban Fantasy to be a category that sounds real broad, but is actually used fairly narrowly, and mostly for Magic London type stuff. I'd call Craft Urban Fantasy. Like when your main plot point is Magic Risk Manager has to secure water for a city, the city is pretty integral. Or the gentrification stuff in the last one. Most of the parallels to banking and corporations only work with a large urban environment.

PSS usually gets in (or defines) the New Weird genre, but given that New Crobuzon is basically a character in the book, I'd think Urban Fantasy is a fair qualification, though perhaps not the most useful one.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I got into the Craft Sequence because I read an interview of Gladstone where he said that the setting came to him during the financial crisis in 2008, when he realized that the international system of finance was built out of what could be described as consensus-based magic. Magic that falls apart if people stop believing in it.

I find urban fantasy a really difficult genre to nail down. It always seems to me more a question of tone than anything else, and it's a tone I don't really enjoy. But describing that tone itself is also a struggle. Whenever a book I liked is called "urban fantasy" somewhere I always balk because it doesn't really match my schema of urban fantasy. Take, for example, Daniel O'Malley's The Rook. Certainly "fantasy taking place in a parallel modern world setting" or "modern world setting with magic" are not urban fantasy. It always feels like a genre that's extremely particular to London, anyway.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is max gladstone a real name because lol

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

angel opportunity posted:

Reading the blurb, it sounds a lot like "fantasy taking place in a city." Isn't that urban fantasy? To me, Perdido Street Station is urban fantasy as well.

Or is it only really urban fantasy if it takes place in London?

Urban Fantasy as a publishing term, means just barely above supernatural romance that takes place in the modern day. It's basically where all the people who would have been publishing sub-par Tolkein and D&D rip off fantasy 20-30 years ago went.

Tor.com has a here is what's being published in Urban Fantasy this month, and every time I read it, it's obvious that everything is just trash.

Very rarely does it have anything to do with cities and how they work, instead being poo poo detective stories with a magic/supernatural gloss.

Actual Urban Fantasy is stuff like Mielville, Pratchett, Gladstone, and Harrison.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 7, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've always thought of most of the Vlad Taltos books as urban fantasy, as they're mostly about one guy trying to scrape his way through city living.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've always thought of most of the Vlad Taltos books as urban fantasy, as they're mostly about one guy trying to scrape his way through city living.

I thought about classifying the Vlad Taltos books as urban fantasy, but they're really not. Only the first few books (note I stopped reading at Orca) really press the city setting, and even then it's drowned out by the mechanics of the aristocracy and castle adventures.

An urban book should ideally focus on the mechanics of society at large, rather than the interactions between influential or powerful families/individuals.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The best urban fantasy is Master and Margarita.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Magic as finance is the entire appeal of the Craft Sequence and all one-line pitches should be written as if they're describing finance.

Alternately, you could talk about the King in Red wearing swim trunks and drinking fruity cocktails on the beach.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
But fantasy readers think finance is boring. You gotta get all 'magic systems' on them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's jack Campbell's Lost Fleet like?

I just got like 9 books

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I just got like 9 books

It's the 1st book re-done 8x times.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

General Battuta posted:

But fantasy readers think finance is boring. You gotta get all 'magic systems' on them.

Dagger and Coin series tho

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

I just got like 9 books

Good space battles but everything else is about average for military SF. I enjoyed them.

The Lost Stars spinoff series has some hilariously cringey characters and romance, but on the other hand David Weber never gave the Havenites their own series.

C.M. Kruger fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 7, 2017

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

I just got like 9 books
It's really bad.

Think of it as Honor Harrington, but Honor is a straight white male who is the only person in the galaxy who knows anything about space tactics and the two most prominent female characters in the series do little else but fight over his dick.

If you like a long succession of ludicrously one sided space massacres against interchangeable villainous popup targets, then Lost Fleet is the series for you.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 7, 2017

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

Dagger and Coin series tho

You misspelled Baroque Cycle.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mars4523 posted:

It's really bad.

Think of it as Honor Harrington, but Honor is a straight white male who is the only person in the galaxy who knows anything about space tactics and the two most prominent female characters in the series do little else but fight over his dick.

If you like a long succession of ludicrously one sided space massacres against interchangeable villainous popup targets, then Lost Fleet is the series for you.

Sounds like Stargate, i'll probably love it.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

Sounds like Stargate, i'll probably love it.
Jack O'Neill had a personality, though.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

General Battuta posted:

The Craft Sequences magic system is the most novel and interesting take I've seen on it in years. Almost infinite flexibility and depth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is max gladstone a real name because lol

Of course not, there aren't any apostrophes in it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I've had some free Craft Sequence ebooks lying around for years and this is the conversation that's made me actually want to read them.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

But fantasy readers think finance is boring.

them and everyone else

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

It's the 1st book re-done 8x times.
Yeah. They're bad. If you want sailing in space and starship mil combat there are a dozen better series.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Yeah. They're bad. If you want sailing in space and starship mil combat there are a dozen better series.

On the other hand, if you want to know what the difference between a cruiser, battlecruiser, and battleship is and are incapable of forming long-term memories, they're just what you need.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving Sci-Fi can't get it right.

I read something recently
It was dumb as poo poo Space marine action.... man can't remember the name of it.

Space special forces, upload brains to massive armoured golems, horrible aliens sort of Halo type things i guess. Many, many people killed...

Ideas? I've drawn a total blank.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

It was dumb as poo poo Space marine action.... man can't remember the name of it.

Space special forces, upload brains to massive armoured golems, horrible aliens sort of Halo type things i guess. Many, many people killed...

Hamilton?
The dreaded Ringo?
Resnick?
A methdream?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Rocksicles posted:

Legion of the Damned? French Foreign Legion but they're in space and killer cyborgs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Figured it out, Lazarus War, not bad. Burned through them pretty quick, which is what I like.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Figured it out, Lazarus War, not bad. Burned through them pretty quick, which is what I like.

drat. Too late.

Yeah, there were two books. Artefact and Legion . They weren't terrible, but they were completely forgettable.

E: Just checked. Apparently there's a third: Origins. Eh, I may get it if I run out of stuff to read.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

VagueRant posted:

Help me, thread! I am desperate for a new fantasy novel to get into. It's been so long since I enjoyed reading (and I really like swords).

I loved:
Every book by Joe Abercrombie (except Best Served Cold), which I was put on to by clever peeps in this thread. I even liked what he wrote in my copy of Sharp Ends!
Discworld (specifically - Mort, Jingo, Night Watch, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal)

I liked:
ASOIAF
Lies of Locke Lamora (thanks for that one, thread!)
The Last Wish (Witcher)

Common recs I did not like:
Name Of The Wind
Way Of Kings
Black Company
The Red Knight
The Gunslinger (Dark Tower)

Additionally:
Malazan scares me.
Wheel Of Time seems like a lot of what I hate in the genre, but I also know I should try it one day because it's such A Thing.
Mistborn didn't hook me, but I should give it a fair chance one day.
Prince of Thorns puts me off because I just don't want to read about a character that unlikeable.

Basically: I like punchy prose that doesn't waste time, I prefer more low fantasy military/historical vibes over mystical or magical (would totally be up to branching into historical fiction). And I never realised until now how much of a factor humour played in what I like (see: Pratchett, Abercrombie, Locke Lamora...). It really is key to making characters likeable, making the journey enjoyable, and balancing out all the morally grey grimdark.

For what it's worth I was thinking I should check out Sword of Destiny in the Witcher series (someone in the thread told me to go with that one before Blood of Elves) at some point, and read more Pratchett (the next adventure of Moist probably).

What about Way of Kings did you not like?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Phew, thanks for all the recommendations, guys. A lot to reply to and look into (y'all recommended Mark Lawrence's Prince of Fools the most, but Amazon strangely doesn't have a preview of it, so I'll look into that at a later date). Anyway, to start with, I just ordered:
  • Sharps by KJ Parker - of the few previews I read on Amazon, this and The Folding Knife really stood out to me because it focused on immediate and interesting tragicomic situations, instead of the worldbuildy worldbuilding and neverending Fictional Nouns of some other books' opening pages. Went with Sharps because googling came up with the most recs for that one and apparently it's a standalone? Hope it was the right choice.

• The Traitor (Baru Cormorant) by Seth Dickinson. I remember the thread talking it up way back when, but I ignored it because I thought it was Sci-Fi for some reason. Guess the name sounded super Star Trekky to me. But I'll totally take a chance on a well-reviewed goon-made book if it has swords instead of lasers! Super curious why the title is shortened for the UK (EU?) release though.

• And the one I was probably already going to get - Andrej Sapkowski's Witcher 2: Anthologise Harder (God, Sword of Destiny is the most boring name ever).

gohmak posted:

What about Way of Kings did you not like?
Ooh, complicated one. Main thing is that I thought it was way too long.

Sanderson's prose reads well enough and there were a couple of moments that affected me but it really felt like he'd stretched a Harry Potter sized novel into a Lord Of The Rings sized monstrosity that didn't even intend on resolving anything in that pagecount. (Am I remembering right in saying it takes about 800 pages just to explain what happened between chapter 2 and 3?) Plus it had some genre tics that have always bothered me, like nameless soldiers being casually wiped out by the hundreds while all the named characters were kind of celestially important and totally invulnerable, you know?

Clark Nova posted:

The Malazan series does have some great comedic bits but you're right to be scared of it.
Hah! I really do want to "get" Malazan, but it's hard to commit to a thing where even the fans are like "none of this will make sense for another five books". I'm kind of holding out hope it gets adapted to give me a better gateway into it.

Groke posted:

Have you tried KJ Parker? Mostly quite low on the fantasy elements, a good deal of humour of the extremely black variety. Cheerfully nihilistic may be an appropriate term.

As for historical fiction... I'd have to mention Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. It has long been popular among SF fans and not without good reason; it does a better job of presenting an alien world full of weird technology than most space opera, it's just that the alien world is our own two centuries ago and the weird technology is early 19th century sailing ships described in loving detail. Great amounts of character-based humour in otherwise deadly serious stories, lots of cool naval action balanced by weird shenanigans ashore.
As an Abercrombie superfan, your description of "cheerfully nihilistic" is totally what sold me on reading those previews of Sharps and Folding Knife, because that is My Jam. (And shoutout to savinhill for recognising from my post that that was most likely My Jam!)

Ooh, I've always meant to read a book that got into the fascinating nitty gritty of sailing ships. And I always wanted more of what that Master and Commander movie teased. So I'm super down for that. Is there a particular standout entry to start with?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 8, 2017

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Hah! I really do want to "get" Malazan, but it's hard to commit to a thing where even the fans are like "none of this will make sense for another five books". I'm kind of holding out hope it gets adapted to give me a better gateway into it.

I found that figuring out how the setting worked as I read instead of having it dumped on me in blocks of clunky exposition was actually a lot of fun. You'll always have questions but shouldn't ever be entirely unable to comprehend the action and plot line in each book. The real problems are the meandering philosophical asides, the repetitiveness (when a new book revisits a locale, the same damned thing is probably going to happen all over again) and the sheer scope of it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

Ooh, I've always meant to read a book that got into the fascinating nitty gritty of sailing ships. And I always wanted more of what that Master and Commander movie teased. So I'm super down for that. Is there a particular standout entry to start with?

Read them in order or you miss out on stuff. Also read them ASAP IMO.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 8, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

I found that figuring out how the setting worked as I read instead of having it dumped on me in blocks of clunky exposition was actually a lot of fun. You'll always have questions but shouldn't ever be entirely unable to comprehend the action and plot line in each book. The real problems are the meandering philosophical asides, the repetitiveness (when a new book revisits a locale, the same damned thing is probably going to happen all over again) and the sheer scope of it.

And the dumb loving na'mes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

holocaust bloopers posted:

About 1/3 of the way through Republic of Thieves. Yea, it's a Locke Lamora book but one going through the motions.

Its definitely the weakest of the three

I feel like as important as the death of the rest of the gang was for the first book, it has made the subsequent books worse because of the lack of different personalities for things to bounce off of. Doesn't help that nothing loving happens in this book until the end, and even that twist feels like it could pull the series further into unfun directions. I'm not shocked that the next book is taking him forever since he is trying to figure all of this poo poo out.

Also, I will nth the recomendation of The Red Queen's War series to anyone. I actually read it before Prince of Thorns, and its amazing how much more interesting Jalen is as a character, and the poo poo he goes through is far more interesting.

I am also going through the Rogues of the Republic series, and it is pretty good. But yeah, go read Red Queen's War

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There's nothing wrong with arranging books to look pretty, especially if you do most of your reading with ebooks and only buy hardcopies if they're something you really want to own, or because they were cheap secondhand books, or you were stuck waiting for a train and your phone's battery was too low to get a few hours of reading done.

There is also nothing wrong with owning eighteen full sets of Proust and leaving them scattered around the place with dog-ears and bookmarks, as long as you're doing it ironically enough.
This just reminds me so much that joke from The Great Gatsby, where some of the people at the party comment on Gatsby had gotten real books to fill his library, but also was smart to enough to have not cut the books open to seem like he had read them.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 9, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Glumslinger posted:

Its definitely the weakest of the three

I feel like as important as the death of the rest of the gang was for the first book, it has made the subsequent books worse because of the lack of different personalities for things to bounce off of. Doesn't help that nothing loving happens in this book until the end, and even that twist feels like it could pull the series further into unfun directions. I'm not shocked that the next book is taking him forever since he is trying to figure all of this poo poo out.

Personal Thoughts, while Chains being dead and Locke taking over leadership in the present in the first book makes sense, thematically it would have been better maybe if it was Chains who dies to the Falconer even if that would have been a bit cliche. I agree that taking out everyone was a problem, Locke and Jean have good chemistry however as mentioned in book Jean plays a straight man well, but thats his only role and Locke is kinda a serious sourpuss, they don't have anyone to lighten the mood between them. They definitely are missing the Sanza comic relief or Bug being an earnest apprentice, honestly it would have been better if only one or the other died in Lies in my opinion instead of both. Or just one of the Sanza's dies and the other still does the comic relief, but it comes from a darker place without his brother? Overall the dynamic between the five gang members was the best bit of the Lies and Republic and it really feels like lynch shot himself in the foot.

The first book is so good, the second one is still good in my opinion although not as strong and the third has good parts although it is overall a downgrade in quality, which hopefully is attributable to Lynch getting divorced around that time (I think).

Also again Red Queen's war books are very good and will reinforce that, one of the few series that is able to combine humor and horror together without feeling out of place.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 9, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

VagueRant posted:

The story within each Malazan book is more or less self-consistent, so when we say that "things won't make sense for another five books" we mean explanations for various phenomens in the world.
If you are one of those people that requires fantasy to be like a RPG rulebook, I wouldn't recommend Malazan.
If you on the other hand see reading as a journey in a fantasy, Malazan is probably a good idea.
There are like 3 books that can serve as introduction to the series.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

VagueRant posted:

Sharps by KJ Parker - of the few previews I read on Amazon, this and The Folding Knife really stood out to me because it focused on immediate and interesting tragicomic situations, instead of the worldbuildy worldbuilding and neverending Fictional Nouns of some other books' opening pages. Went with Sharps because googling came up with the most recs for that one and apparently it's a standalone? Hope it was the right choice.

Yeah, it's a standalone. The first nine KJ Parker novels are in three (completely separate) trilogies, all the ones since then are standalones. Actually most of them seem to be set in the same world, but widely scattered across history and geography, you can tell by various little references to places or political entities that occur in different books (sort of like one novel might be set in Rome during the last days of the republic, another on the frontier of the expanding Roman empire some centuries later, and a third in South America in the 1800s with references to the Roman Catholic church).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Hugo nominations are open for this year. Any good sources for works that are eligible?