Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Artix posted:

Orioles trade Gallardo to Seattle for Seth Smith. :confuoot: Should I be excited for a Seth Smith?

E: Barring another signing in February or some poo poo, that makes our rotation Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Miley, and Jiminez. At least...two of those are worth something?

Seth Smith is an extreme platoon hitter. He hits right handers pretty well, career .827 OPS. Lefties? Well... .594 OPS. He's a corner outfielder, and isn't a great one at that. But as a role player he's alright.

Looking at Gallardo's numbers, it looks like Jerry is hoping for a bit of bounceback and hoping that Safeco helps the guy's numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Seth Smith posted -7 DRS in LF last year. As a comparison, during his 2015 stint in LF, Kyle Schwarber posted -3.

So that's something.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Excellent that means we have two lefty corner outfielders who can't hit lefties for poo poo. Rickard/Kim was our plan for left field and Mancini will probably take over DH, so I wonder what the plan is for right.

E: I'm going to hesitantly say that Smith cannot be as bad as Trumbo was in the outfield, but I'm fully willing to eat those words.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Seth Smith might be the most boring baseball player in league history.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seth Smith might be the most boring baseball player in league history.

Besides that season where he was the Padres entire offense, this feels right.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Not that Seth Smith was the glue holding it together (I was expecting him to get traded), but the Mariner outfield now consists of Leonys Martin, and 3 unproven prospect outfielders: Ben Gamel, Guillermo Heredia, and Mitch Haniger.

We'll sure win the west with these guys :shepface:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Paul Zuvella posted:

most boring baseball player in league history.

New Concept Hole posted:

the Padres entire offense

The two aren't mutually exclusive

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Farewell Seth Smith, aka Dad.

https://twitter.com/bobnipotent/status/817433859960672256

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I'm so happy this was off of Cone, too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Someone tried that.....nobody showed up and Ron Washington was a stud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Professional_Baseball_Association

Paul Zuvella posted:

47 year old Bert Campanaris stole 17 bases lol

I am very sad this league wasn't around for Rickey Henderson.

Er, change that wasn't to isn't.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Brandon Phillips is still determined to not let the Reds trade him. Braves had a deal in place in November (Rosenthal doesn't say for who) but he blocked it. Supposedly the Reds have told BP he's not gonna play everyday in 2017, as they are rebuilding and want to play the kids. But he's hit .290 two years running so that sounds like a bluff to get him out the door.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twin Cinema posted:

Jung Ho Kang was cut from the South Korean WBC team after his third DUI last month.

I am beginning to suspect that he may not be that great of a guy.

I remember when Jung Ho Kang was cool and good and I was advocating him playing more. :sigh:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/817491231362207745
https://twitter.com/jlwoj/status/817491497071194112

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Royals fandom is melting down over this trade. I dont get it. Dyson is a 31 year old speed guy with a career OPS+ of 85.

I think if Karns can pitch better than Volquez last year we'll be better for it - and that's not setting the bar very high.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Exodor posted:

Royals fandom is melting down over this trade. I dont get it. Dyson is a 31 year old speed guy with a career OPS+ of 85.

Fan favorite for an underwhelming pitcher, fans gonna be fans.

Seems like a fine but meh baseball deal from what I can tell.

e: Well maybe, is Karns inning count because he was shipped up and down to the minors or has he been hurt a ton?

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

e: Well maybe, is Karns inning count because he was shipped up and down to the minors or has he been hurt a ton?

Had some back issues last year but supposedly fine now.

I don't think this deal will matter in the long run but the Royals had a lot more need in the rotation than in the outfield - and if he washes out of the rotation he'll probably be valuable in the bullpen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I guess one thing I'm not looking forward to is Bubba Starling hitting .100 when he's called up to play center for a month or two whenever Cain goes down with his yearly injury.

But hell, Karns also has 3 or 4 years of team control left and from what I read in the last few minutes he's supposed to bounce back from last year. It's possible the Royals win this trade easily if he's actually healthy and that happens.

e: Oops I forgot all about Billy Burns. Poor Bubba is stuck with his poo poo bat in the minors forever.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 7, 2017

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I guess one thing I'm not looking forward to is Bubba Starling hitting .100 when he's called up to play center for a month or two whenever Cain goes down with his yearly injury.

I kind of lost track of Bubba and... holy poo poo he's been even worse than I thought. Then I looked at the 2011 draft and noticed Lindor was picked 3 picks later and now I hate everything.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Karns was great starting off but fell off the table real quick. He got relegated to bullpen duty.

There's talent there but injuries will be a thing with him.

On the bright side I guess Seattle is gonna have one of the best defensive outfields again with Martin, Dyson and Haniger. Just an anemic hitting one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i honestly thought for a second he was put on a ship

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i honestly thought for a second he was put on a ship

Now I get it...

I had no idea what this was a reference too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dyson, impressed by the Royal Navy, is sentenced to an uncertain future of swabbing and facing certain death at the hands of Napoleon's Navy.

"No, sir," says Nathaniel Karns. "I shall go in his stead."

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 7, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What DL designation do you get for being shanghai'ed into the navy?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DL- King's Shilling

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Rum, sodomy and the lash.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Jarrod Dyson sets out to sea, and it is at that moment that he truly becomes a mariner.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Brandon Phillips is still determined to not let the Reds trade him. Braves had a deal in place in November (Rosenthal doesn't say for who) but he blocked it. Supposedly the Reds have told BP he's not gonna play everyday in 2017, as they are rebuilding and want to play the kids. But he's hit .290 two years running so that sounds like a bluff to get him out the door.
Except he doesn't walk or hit for power anymore, so he hasn't posted a wRC+ over 100 since 2012. He shouldn't be playing every day if the team is rebuilding and has young developing players who need PAs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner takes on a whole new meaning with this trade

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

When I was pitching competitively Maddux was like the archetype of what all of us wanted to be...no one was going to 8 feet tall with a 140 mph fastball like RJ or be able to whip a curveball like Pedro but hell, some of us could throw harder than Maddux! Plus, mechanics, etc! So the end result is we basically all tried to do everything that Maddux did, the culmination being when one of my teammates stopped wearing contacts and started wearing glasses during games in order to look more professorial.

I went to high school with Disco Hayes, whose blog was extremely popular on SA for a lot of the same reasons why Maddux is so popular. He's by no means a physical freak. He got his nickname because his pitches never made it out of the 70s. But he made it all the way to AAA because he's ridiculously intelligent and knew how to outsmart hitters with his pitches. He wasn't even the best player on our high school baseball team by a longshot, but he was easily the best player on our school's chess team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

seiferguy posted:

Karns was great starting off but fell off the table real quick. He got relegated to bullpen duty.

There's talent there but injuries will be a thing with him.

On the bright side I guess Seattle is gonna have one of the best defensive outfields again with Martin, Dyson and Haniger. Just an anemic hitting one.

AL West good defense bad hitting outfield buddies :toot:

Although at least the Astros have Springer

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I went to high school with Disco Hayes, whose blog was extremely popular on SA for a lot of the same reasons why Maddux is so popular. He's by no means a physical freak. He got his nickname because his pitches never made it out of the 70s. But he made it all the way to AAA because he's ridiculously intelligent and knew how to outsmart hitters with his pitches. He wasn't even the best player on our high school baseball team by a longshot, but he was easily the best player on our school's chess team.

Your school's chess club actually played chess? Ours mostly played yu-gi-oh and magic.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Your school's chess club actually played chess? Ours mostly played yu-gi-oh and magic.

You activated his trap card. :grin:

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Another blockbuster move by the O's FO. What a treat

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Some random Blue Jays fans on twitter are suggesting that Stroman and Sanchez arn't on speaking terms because they don''t follow each other on Twitter/instagram anymore and there havn't been videos of them hanging out during the off season. Sounds like dumb bullshit but it would suck if it were true.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I genuinely have no idea what Dipoto is trying to accomplish with the Mariners. It seems like every time he makes a trade, it is immediately followed by a story for 'now we need a new X' where the X is the position of the player he got rid of. That player is then replaced by somebody who is not really much better or worse than the one before him.

But I did have a drunk guy grab me and yell "we have a leadoff hitter!" the day of the Segura trade because I was wearing a Mariners hoodie, so the Mariners must make their money in the first half by convincing people that they finally have the World Series team!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Some random Blue Jays fans on twitter are suggesting that Stroman and Sanchez arn't on speaking terms because they don''t follow each other on Twitter/instagram anymore and there havn't been videos of them hanging out during the off season. Sounds like dumb bullshit but it would suck if it were true.

also Jays fans are hungry for literally any news about anything at this point

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It would appear that former Angels pitcher Chuck Finley is quite the reader:

quote:

But one librarian has been fired in connection with a scheme involving the creation of a fake library patron who “checked out” more than 2,000 books over the last year, as first reported by the Orlando Sentinel.

The fake patron, named “Chuck Finley” — who shares his name with a real-life retired baseball player and an often-used alias on the show “Burn Notice”— is recorded as checking out 2,361 books ranging from children’s book Why Do My Ears Pop? to John Steinbeck’s Cannery Row.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

"That's how we Dewey, people!"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Now I'll never find out why my ears pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

What happened? :ohdear: I am heavily invested in bromances across all divisions.

Speaking of which,

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/816463280109563904

https://twitter.com/MattHarvey33/status/817143309957263365

:kimchi:

• Locked thread