Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

pangstrom posted:

That (along with a similar compound) is the stuff the Russians pumped into the theater to resolve a hostage situation in 2002
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis
not a terrible idea if they had given everyone naloxone afterwards but they didn't so lots of people died

This was a fascinating read, and I thank you for posting/reminding me of it.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Carfentanyl apparently has even stronger binding affinity to the opioid receptor than naloxone. You can reverse the carfentanyl OD, but you need, like, a LOT of Narcan.

According to the warning signs posted at my methadone clinic, narcan can (sometimes) pull a person out of immediate withdrawal, but it wears off pretty quickly. Therefore, narcan will wear off before the carfentanyl has been sufficiently metabolized by the patient. You are likely going to need to hit them with narcan more than once, over (very roughly) an hour/two period.

People have thought their lives had been saved, only to soon drop into that final nod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Goodbye, friends. We miss you all.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
If anything I'm surprised the percentage of total overdoses caused by opioids isn't higher.

One would think it would be difficult to detect a carfentanyl overdose, because if the drug potency is that ridiculously high the lab tests would have to be incredibly sensitive to detect such a low concentration in the blood. Also, one of the talks I went to had a local cop who said the statistics may even underestimate the opioid problem because counties have different procedures for what they send into the lab for testing. Some of the rural counties in my state looked like they were dodging the crisis almost entirely on some map, but it turned out those counties were probably just more lax in who they tested and what they tested for in potential overdose deaths.

And all this just in time to gut the Affordable Care Act and make our desperate poor even more desperate!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Oh there we go, found it after a little digging:

quote:

The findings in this report are subject to at least five limitations. First, factors related to death investigation might affect rate estimates involving specific drugs. At autopsy, the substances tested for, and circumstances under which tests are performed to determine which drugs are present, might vary by jurisdiction and over time. Second, the percentage of deaths with specific drugs identified on the death certificate varies by jurisdiction and over time. Nationally, 19% (in 2014) and 17% (in 2015) of drug overdose death certificates did not include the specific types of drugs involved. Additionally, the percentage of drug overdose deaths with specific drugs identified on the death certificate varies widely by state, ranging from 47.4% to 99%. Variations in reporting across states prevent comparison of rates between states. Third, improvements in testing and reporting of specific drugs might have contributed to some observed increases in opioid-involved death rates. Fourth, because heroin and morphine are metabolized similarly (9), some heroin deaths might have been misclassified as morphine deaths, resulting in underreporting of heroin deaths. Finally, the state-specific analyses of opioid deaths are restricted to 28 states, limiting generalizability.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I thought that if a young, apparently healthy person died there was always as least some effort to determine a cause of death. Do coroners just give up without investigating readily available evidence, like a perscription history of opioid painkillers or signs of repeated injections?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Konstantin posted:

I thought that if a young, apparently healthy person died there was always as least some effort to determine a cause of death. Do coroners just give up without investigating readily available evidence, like a perscription history of opioid painkillers or signs of repeated injections?
"He was a good kid, your fancy scientific test musta been wrong"

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Konstantin posted:

Budget cuts, and they couldn't find someone dumb enough to write the new policy/procedure?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

According to the warning signs posted at my methadone clinic, narcan can (sometimes) pull a person out of immediate withdrawal, but it wears off pretty quickly. Therefore, narcan will wear off before the carfentanyl has been sufficiently metabolized by the patient. You are likely going to need to hit them with narcan more than once, over (very roughly) an hour/two period.

People have thought their lives had been saved, only to soon drop into that final nod.
This isn't even specifically with carfentanil; naloxone has a shorter half life (at 30-80 minutes) than most opioids; morphine, hydromorphone, oxycodone and fentanyl all have half lives between 2 and 4 hours. (Methadone and bupe have very long half lives of over a day, which is why they work as once daily meds.)

Which is why you ALWAYS send people to the hospital after you revive them with Narcan.

PubMed tells me carfentanil has a half life of 7.7h so in addition to being stupid powerful it also lasts forever. It's like it's specifically designed to murder addicts.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

For sure.

Even a stout shot of regular dope may take a couple rounds of narcan.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I really want to know how many of these involved other drugs, specifically benzodiazepines.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I really want to know how many of these involved other drugs, specifically benzodiazepines.

The majority of opioid overdose deaths involve concurrent alcohol/tranquilizer use. Benzodiazepines fall under tranquilizers I believe, but alcohol is probably more common and has the same dangerous effects when combined with opioids.

Generally speaking, the overwhelming majority of opiate overdose effects occur under one of the following circumstances:
1. Concurrent use with alcohol/tranquilizers/benzos
2. Using the "typical" amount after being clean for a while and no longer having the necessary tolerance
3. The drug being mixed with something, which can apparently be an issue with street drugs

Opiate overdose using just the opiate and with someone current dependent on the drug is actually very uncommon (because the addict has tolerance).

edit: Edited for greater accuracy

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 4, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there's also occasionally 4. intentional suicide, although often as not that's also 1.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Putting straightforward suicide attempts aside, what proportion of users-mixing-opiates-with-depressants-who-OD knew they were playing with fire, do you guys think? Seems like it would be high. Feels semi-suicidal, at least the "gently caress it" sense.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 4, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

pangstrom posted:

Putting straightforward suicide attempts aside, what proportion of users-mixing-opiates-with-depressants-who-OD knew they were playing with fire, do you guys think? Seems like it would be high. Feels semi-suicidal, at least the "gently caress it" sense.

Drug/alcohol/suicide deaths seem to be generally referred to recently as "deaths of despair" because they are all so closely linked and sometimes hard to tell apart.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

pangstrom posted:

I've been on methadone for decades, and all the clinics I've been on have warned that combining it with benzodiazepines is particularly dangerous. I've lost count of all the people I've known who died by supplementing their dose with quantities of benzos they'd tolerated before with no problem.

I remember a friend who I'd met at one of my clinics who was witty, well-read, and always good for an intelligent conversation. Thomas had gotten ahold of a few Xanax bars and took them with his regular dose, plus who knows how much vodka. At some point he realized he'd taken too much, called 911, and told the dispatcher what he'd done. But by the time the paramedics arrived he was already dead.

I've added modest amounts of alprazolam to my own methadone before, and I liked the effect it had on me. But I like my life too much to endanger it by playing Russian roulette with those pretty pastel-coloured pills. #sonotworthit

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

pangstrom posted:

My buddy tried so drat hard to kill himself with dope+Xanax

He really thought he'd done enough one afternoon.

Because "I would understand," he thought he could die in my house. He always said, "I know mixing these is gonna kill me...eventually." This time, he made me swear not to revive him before he threw a boulder in the spoon, already slurring from my vodka and his pills.

But when he slammed to the floor at freefall, I turned him so he could breathe. I sat and made sure he'd live for a couple hours.

He never did die.

This summer, friends reported he kept doing larger and larger...really impossible shots...and yet he lived

Until he took a beautiful walk at dawn, on one of Nashville's most scenic hills, and shotgunned himself into permanent memory

----

Many people want to die, and many of them are junkies. I agree with OP

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pangstrom posted:

There often comes a point, for a lot of reasons, where an addict just absolutely does not care if they die or not. A hell of a lot of addicts have awful lives that have no sign of getting better so they turn to drugs to get away from that. They know drugs kill people but there are two things that happen; on is the what I just mentioned: the addict just no longer cares and knows that it'll kill them. The other is that they've done it for years and it hasn't killed them so it won't this time. If you do something that might kill you 500 times and it doesn't you tend to think "well, whatever I can handle this." Then there's That One Time that it does.

Yes it's often a combination of the two. People know addiction kills people and drugs are bad. The problem is that for a lot of people real life is worse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yes it's often a combination of the two. People know addiction kills people and drugs are bad. The problem is that for a lot of people real life is worse.

It's also that the level of suffering that addiction creates for the addict is literally inconceivable for normal people. So before becoming an addict, he/she thinks "my life is poo poo now, so it's worth getting to feel nice for a while even if I end up addicted." But this is because they don't quite realize just how much worse things can be. At least this was the case for me.

One thing that bothers me the most as an addict is that I can't communicate my situation to family/friends because they don't really have the frame of reference to understand this sort of suffering. Like, I've given up on ever being normal and healthy again, but I at least want those close to me (which isn't many people; just my parents and 2 best friends) to understand the way I feel. It's not that they aren't kind (they are), but it's just sort of lonely being incapable of communicating the way you feel to those close to you, especially when it's something that completely and utterly dominates every aspect of your life. I realize that other long-term addicts also understand, but they aren't the ones I want to understand.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

It's also that the level of suffering that addiction creates for the addict is literally inconceivable for normal people. So before becoming an addict, he/she thinks "my life is poo poo now, so it's worth getting to feel nice for a while even if I end up addicted." But this is because they don't quite realize just how much worse things can be. At least this was the case for me.

One thing that bothers me the most as an addict is that I can't communicate my situation to family/friends because they don't really have the frame of reference to understand this sort of suffering. Like, I've given up on ever being normal and healthy again, but I at least want those close to me (which isn't many people; just my parents and 2 best friends) to understand the way I feel. It's not that they aren't kind (they are), but it's just sort of lonely being incapable of communicating the way you feel to those close to you, especially when it's something that completely and utterly dominates every aspect of your life. I realize that other long-term addicts also understand, but they aren't the ones I want to understand.

I think the hardest thing to explain (I, too, have a history of addiction) is that not only can you not just will the addiction away but it's a way out. So many people just fail to understand "I do X to forget." It's also why it's hard to explain relapses to people. "This person was clean, why did they go back?" It isn't like it's a conscious choice. "Hey I sure did love it when my life was dominated by a substance! I should go back to that" just isn't something people think.

But sometimes, when you've had a bad day, or you're frustrated with life, or somebody just offers you some...man, just a little taste...I had some good times then. That sure felt good, you know? It wasn't all bad. We used to use and then we'd...

...then one taste becomes two; it becomes ten. It's very, very hard to explain to people that it's a day to day thing. Your life changes forever after you've shaken off an addiction. That temptation is always there and the flesh is weak. People who haven't been there just don't understand it.

Incidentally there's some similarities there with mental illness as well. And, of course, the two are often connected.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But sometimes, when you've had a bad day, or you're frustrated with life, or somebody just offers you some...man, just a little taste...I had some good times then. That sure felt good, you know? It wasn't all bad. We used to use and then we'd...

What I think people don't understand is that they think of it in terms of a single instance of someone thinking "should I use? sure!", when it reality it's more like 10,000 instances of someone thinking "should I use?", saying "no" the first 9,999 times and then "yes" the 10,000th. They're missing the countless invisible times that people are struggling with the decision but not using, and of course it only takes a single mistake to ruin everything.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

https://buffalonews.com/2016/12/29/wave-opioid-related-deaths-hits-erie-county/

I'm not sure how grave the fentanyl-cutting is across the country, but in the Buffalo area, 75% of opioid deaths have been due to heroin being cut with fentanyl, or being given just straight-up fentanyl in a baggie. From some reports, apparently the OD death rate is higher than the number of people moving to Buffalo. And speaking of fentanyl, there was a report a few years back of three people found dead in Buffalo. The cause? They were taking fentanyl patches, cutting them up, and chewing/affixing them to their gums to get a faster 'high' and they all ODed. There was also a report last year that paramedics had to revive a guy with Narcan three times in a single day (I have no idea if it was a half-life issue between Narcan and what he took, or if the Narcan made him feel 'fine' and he went back to shoot up). Again, I'm not sure if this is a nationwide thing but there's been reports that some dealers were cutting with fentanyl and putting rivals' 'logos' on the baggies to make it look like they got the laced stuff from another source.

A few months ago there was a special on inside edition or something, speaking to former addicts that had started off addicted to RX pain meds, and some discussing the lengths they would go to to get an RX re-upped was chilling. One guy described punching a wall until his fingers broke, another described how he had removed some of his own teeth.

Even before things really blew up, I had a lousy summer gig back in the summer or 2007. Working in a kitchen, he was a super-nice, cool guy, but one day he mentioned he had gotten out of rehab (and maybe did some prison time, I don't exactly recall now) because when his mother was dying of cancer/in hospice care, he was stealing her pain meds. And I know the 'why not resell them' aspect of unused pain meds, but when my mother passed away in Hospice care, after determining time of death and contacting an undertaker to collect the body, one of the first things the nurse did was to have us round up and dump all of her high-level pain meds. The morphine syrettes got squirted into a bag of kitty litter, followed by the pills with something (might have been rubbing alcohol, I don't remember) to 'destroy' them.

I lost a cousin to an opioid overdose in 2009, and while I don't have all the details since my family was pretty hush-hush about it, she doctor shopped like crazy (with the help of her ex-husband) to get a shitload of pills. She Od'ed and survived before that, with her children in the goddamn house, but she didn't make it the second time. No clue if she was mixing with alcohol or other substances.

I know some places have implemented I-STOP, a real-time database for pharmacists to check what other medications a patient is currently on, but is there a way/means for doctors and pharmacists to check what medication history for patients? Not sure if that would do much good for people at the Rx addiction point, I'm admittedly not well-versed on that point.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

https://buffalonews.com/2016/12/29/wave-opioid-related-deaths-hits-erie-county/

I'm not sure how grave the fentanyl-cutting is across the country, but in the Buffalo area, 75% of opioid deaths have been due to heroin being cut with fentanyl, or being given just straight-up fentanyl in a baggie. From some reports, apparently the OD death rate is higher than the number of people moving to Buffalo. And speaking of fentanyl, there was a report a few years back of three people found dead in Buffalo. The cause? They were taking fentanyl patches, cutting them up, and chewing/affixing them to their gums to get a faster 'high' and they all ODed. There was also a report last year that paramedics had to revive a guy with Narcan three times in a single day (I have no idea if it was a half-life issue between Narcan and what he took, or if the Narcan made him feel 'fine' and he went back to shoot up). Again, I'm not sure if this is a nationwide thing but there's been reports that some dealers were cutting with fentanyl and putting rivals' 'logos' on the baggies to make it look like they got the laced stuff from another source.

It's bad on Cape Cod too

I am by no means an addiction expert or anything but I think people don't realize how cheap heroin is. Last I heard it's 5 dollars for each hit and if you are trying to get high, can't beat the price.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I think there's a very good chance Sessions and the Trump administration switch the narrative away from "let's help the poor white addicts" to a Duterte style "These people are degenerate and parasites, let them die."

Would not be surprised to see federal legislation banning local needle exchanges, safe injection sites, and preventing police departments from carrying Narcan. Remember that The War on Drugs and federal policy explicitly created our current nightmare. First we got the country hooked on insane amounts of Oxy, then we banned it and now everybody has to shoot up heroin. None of this is unplanned.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, it's more likely they just roll back the opiate restrictions and start giving out Oxy like candy again with the OD deaths as justification. And it would work!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am by no means an addiction expert or anything but I think people don't realize how cheap heroin is. Last I heard it's 5 dollars for each hit and if you are trying to get high, can't beat the price.

Meanwhile, getting "safe" (you get addicted, but at least you don't OD) opiates like Oxy and morphine has become completely impossible except for the ultra rich. Hmmm, wonder why this situation exists?

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 7, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Unkempt posted:

As I understand it it was mainly these bastards.

Allowing prescription-level medication to be freely advertised more than cigarettes will never cease to be completely loving despicable to me.

spliffaz
Oct 29, 2007
I work as a registered pharmacy tech in Canada and some of the scripts I've come across have been straight up bananas. (Although I've gotten some pretty funny fake scripts, like that one guy that tried to write a script for 200 8mg OxyContin with 12 repeats and the whole thing was written without any medical shorthand). Anyhoo.. I've noticed a lot of people talking about docs writing for percocet and friends a lot, but how often are tylenol 3's used? I figure for dental surgery that would be the go-to considering it's not nearly as strong of a high as percocet and would lead to less addictive behavior. I could be 100 wrong about this though, cause I personally hate the opiate high and the few times I've taken them it's been only for a couple of days. I also read that Carfentanil is showing up in Fentanyl powders in Canada and killing folks pretty quickly. Is this also a problem in the states?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just finished Dream Land by Sam Quinones. Excellent book, would recommend it to anyone in the thread.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

spliffaz posted:

I work as a registered pharmacy tech in Canada and some of the scripts I've come across have been straight up bananas. (Although I've gotten some pretty funny fake scripts, like that one guy that tried to write a script for 200 8mg OxyContin with 12 repeats and the whole thing was written without any medical shorthand). Anyhoo.. I've noticed a lot of people talking about docs writing for percocet and friends a lot, but how often are tylenol 3's used? I figure for dental surgery that would be the go-to considering it's not nearly as strong of a high as percocet and would lead to less addictive behavior. I could be 100 wrong about this though, cause I personally hate the opiate high and the few times I've taken them it's been only for a couple of days. I also read that Carfentanil is showing up in Fentanyl powders in Canada and killing folks pretty quickly. Is this also a problem in the states?

When I was a pharmacy technician in the 1980's, Tylenol #3 (and it's generic equivalent) was in the top 10 of our most frequently dispensed drugs. Most doctors seemed to prefer codeine or propoxyphene products for mild to moderate pain, reserving drugs like oxycodone, meperidine, and hydromorphone for patients with more serious ailments.

I remember a product called Synalgos-DC that dentists loved to prescribe for some reason. My guess is that the manufacturers employed some talented salesmen to visit local dentists and extol the virtues of their product. Either that or cash bribes.

I've seen some very entertaining forgeries, too. I developed a talent for spotting them, and pointed out a number of bad scripts my supervisors were going to fill. We got quite a laugh one day when a young man brought us a script for 100 Quaaludes with prn refills. I remember another man who tried to cash a script for 500 10mg Valium tablets (Yes, five hundred tablets). Never a dull moment!

spliffaz
Oct 29, 2007

King Possum III posted:

When I was a pharmacy technician in the 1980's, Tylenol #3 (and it's generic equivalent) was in the top 10 of our most frequently dispensed drugs. Most doctors seemed to prefer codeine or propoxyphene products for mild to moderate pain, reserving drugs like oxycodone, meperidine, and hydromorphone for patients with more serious ailments.

Yeah, I still get at least 10 scripts a day for T-3's, but it's usually from the dental clinic around the corner and usually only for like 10-30 at most (qid prn c pain). I used to get a lot of OxyContin 10mgs until they switched 'em out. Almost never get OxyIR scripts. Tramadol is also up cause a lot of docs seem to believe it's non-addictive but holy hell is it ever, judging by how upset people get when they're early or been cut off.

King Possum III posted:

I remember a product called Synalgos-DC that dentists loved to prescribe for some reason. My guess is that the manufacturers employed some talented salesmen to visit local dentists and extol the virtues of their product. Either that or cash bribes.

I've actually never heard of this. From what I looked up, it contained caffeine and acetaminophen and dihydrocodeine. Sounds.. wonderful? Quick way to destroy your liver for sure.

King Possum III posted:

I've seen some very entertaining forgeries, too. I developed a talent for spotting them, and pointed out a number of bad scripts my supervisors were going to fill. We got quite a laugh one day when a young man brought us a script for 100 Quaaludes with prn refills. I remember another man who tried to cash a script for 500 10mg Valium tablets (Yes, five hundred tablets). Never a dull moment!

That just reminded me of the fellow who added a zero to his 30 script of dexedrine. With pencil. Yep.. 300 pills coming right up sir!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

spliffaz posted:

Dental surgery is still mostly T3s with Amox/Pen VK so if something other than that shows up it should raise a flag in your head unless you're familiar with the clinic.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

the black husserl posted:

I think there's a very good chance Sessions and the Trump administration switch the narrative away from "let's help the poor white addicts" to a Duterte style "These people are degenerate and parasites, let them die."

Would not be surprised to see federal legislation banning local needle exchanges, safe injection sites, and preventing police departments from carrying Narcan. Remember that The War on Drugs and federal policy explicitly created our current nightmare. First we got the country hooked on insane amounts of Oxy, then we banned it and now everybody has to shoot up heroin. None of this is unplanned.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, it's more likely they just roll back the opiate restrictions and start giving out Oxy like candy again with the OD deaths as justification. And it would work!

Meanwhile, getting "safe" (you get addicted, but at least you don't OD) opiates like Oxy and morphine has become completely impossible except for the ultra rich. Hmmm, wonder why this situation exists?

idk heroin seems like a big white person problem so he could be more sympathetic

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure he's likely to do anything good because his response to everything is to find someone to blame for it and then find a way to punish them.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
So, in my part of Canada every opioid prescription (except for codeine and tramadol) requires a triplicate prescription. In my case I will generally tape the triplicate to the actual prescription and fax the whole thing in to the pharmacy. One of my colleagues had his prescription pad stolen, but fortunately it got caught pretty early because the patient in question tried to fill a script for "1 pound mophine [sic]".

I was on call and the pharmacist called me to have a laugh about it, and to 'confirm' that that's the prescription we meant to send. "Oh, sorry, I mean four hundred and fifty-four thousand milligrams."

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Hi, I'm the real doctor. I would like order one drug, plese

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doctors thinking Tramadol isn't addictive has always astounded me. Like, how is it even possible to be that ignorant? It's your job to know this stuff! Do these dumb fucks just take everything drug reps tell them as gospel? (the answer is yes)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Doctors thinking Tramadol isn't addictive has always astounded me. Like, how is it even possible to be that ignorant? It's your job to know this stuff! Do these dumb fucks just take everything drug reps tell them as gospel? (the answer is yes)

It's the same bullshit they used to sell oxys and vicodin back in the 90s.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

I know quite a few people are pissed that the CDC recommended that opioids not be prescribed for chronic pain. I know I feel kind of bad for doctors who must feel like they are trapped between a rock and a hard place.

I could've sworn I had heard that recent research points to opiates being not that great for long-term pain management.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

spliffaz posted:

That just reminded me of the fellow who added a zero to his 30 script of dexedrine. With pencil. Yep.. 300 pills coming right up sir!

You just reminded me of another forger. He had been cashing scripts for awhile, for 15mg Dexedrine, #75, and my superiors had been filling them routinely once a month. I was suspicious on account of the odd quantity, so I got on the phone to the doctor in NYC (who turned out to be a dentist) who wrote the scripts. He told me he wrote the scripts for 5mg Dexedrine, #15, as a favor to a personal friend.

So it turned out that with just two strokes of his pen, the guy had been increasing the quantity from 15 to 75, and the strength from 5mg to 15mg. A nice little scam that he had been getting away with before I transferred to that pharmacy. The doc asked me to let him deal with his friend privately, and not call the cops on him. So he got away with it without any legal consequences, but it probably destroyed his friendship with the dentist.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Albino Squirrel posted:

So, in my part of Canada every opioid prescription (except for codeine and tramadol) requires a triplicate prescription. In my case I will generally tape the triplicate to the actual prescription and fax the whole thing in to the pharmacy. One of my colleagues had his prescription pad stolen, but fortunately it got caught pretty early because the patient in question tried to fill a script for "1 pound mophine [sic]".

I was on call and the pharmacist called me to have a laugh about it, and to 'confirm' that that's the prescription we meant to send. "Oh, sorry, I mean four hundred and fifty-four thousand milligrams."

Well, was it correct?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cockmaster posted:

I could've sworn I had heard that recent research points to opiates being not that great for long-term pain management.

They aren't. But good luck getting people to believe that. I have had people half asleep demand for their pain medicine because it's due, but then when I go to their room to administer it, they are stone cold knocked out. Many people really are poor judges of what they can take when it comes to pain. Many of them are very unrealistic when it comes to managing their pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I once had a patient in my pharmacy who was on chronic Hydrocodone-APAP at a fairly high scheduled dose (but not extremely high). She expressed to her PA that she would like to lose weight so her PA prescribed her Contrave, an exciting new weight loss medication that he must have heard about in a commercial. Contrave contains bupropion and naltrexone as its active ingredients. Naltrexone blocks opioid receptors. This was the same PA who was prescribing her Hydrocodone.

The initial response I got back when I contacted the PA's office was that the patient was supposed to take both medications because "the hydrocodone is to treat pain, and the Contrave is for weight loss". I luckily was able to convince the patient herself that taking a combination of pills that directly oppose one another wouldn't be a great idea.

I can't be too harsh on the PA though, at least they called me back within 24 hours. Most doctor's offices I try to call about dangerous drug interactions seem to only respond 3-5 days later after multiple calls to MAs and refill nurses, left voicemail messages and faxes. Or instead of returning my call they "respond" by generating an updated prescription...which they'll regularly send to a completely different pharmacy. Many of these prescribers work in the same healthcare system as myself.