Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

masamune: dull, for a bitch queen the main girl isn't nearly mean enough. sure she ridicules in public, but nicknames like pudding king? really? make her give people some harsher nicknames or make her beat guys up at least!

youjo senki: better than expected. the key art was hideous but the show is pretty good. the war is actually hellish and the sound design is good too, with it distorting during explosions. the whole reincarnation thing seems largely gone, with just a salaryman joke to remind of it. might change later of course but i liked the ep

Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu : seems like a perfectly mediocre moe sol about biking, the mc forgot how to ride a bike somehow. the char designs seem very 2010, main girl is straight up haruhi. nice looking backgrounds too. well i don't care for moe sols with no big selling point anymore tho, so i shut it off after 5 minutes

schoolgirl strikers: seems like budget symphogear, couldn't be bothered to finish the episode

seiren: with it having the director of amagami s2, which was disappointingly normal compared to season 1 of amagami i was afraid of it being dull, but no its just as bizarre as amagami s1. young guys with beards, discussions on how being an idol with a baby would be, horror sequences and and more

so yeah, youjo senki and seiren are the good ones of this batch. im gonna try and hold off on rakugo since i prefer binging it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I was hoping youjo senki would get me at least a sixer, but other than the dank faces there's nothing wrong with it.

Ofc I bet episode 2 is the big flashback episode.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

oh wow the lovely face animation made that last scene hilarious

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/B0bduh/status/817465982621020163?s=09

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Tanya the Evil seems pretty rad and like, combines so many things I like. It has the military nerd factor without it being some kind of fetishistic apologia for either Nazism or the Imperial Japanese Army. It's WWI, a WWI that went just as wrong for the Germans for the 'Empire' too*.

It's like a Harry Turtledove novel in Anime form, it's great in all the right ways.

I think I might break my thread cherry by episode three, so far it seems fairly accurate as a WWI story and as a resident of the ASK/TELL Military History thread I love that there's a lot of actual military history stuff to potentially nerd out on without the negative connotations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
... that's adorable. What show is that?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

My understanding of WW1 artillery is: There was a fuckton of it

and not a lot of counter-battery capability or at least not much to do with it since even the artillery was entrenched.

At least they hadn't figured out MRSI yet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

... that's adorable. What show is that?

schoolgirl strikers

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

same but it was enough to tell me not to watch it

Knowing who the mangaka for Fuuka is is enough for me not to watch it.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Ranzear posted:

My understanding of WW1 artillery is: There was a fuckton of it

and not a lot of counter-battery capability or at least not much to do with it since even the artillery was entrenched.

At least they hadn't figured out MRSI yet.

They also had some trouble figuring out the whole Actually Hitting Things You Wanna Hit thing, why is there was the aforementioned fuckton of it.
If you bring enough tubes, you're at least going to gently caress something up really badly. v:v:v

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In addition to Youjo Senki, should I try out Akiba's Trip?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

In addition to Youjo Senki, should I try out Akiba's Trip?

The fisticuffs so far seem animated pretty decently.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

MrLonghair posted:

e: novel illustrations look fine. The anime is what it is. How..

Now that I've watched the first episode of Youjo Senki, I can see where you're coming from. This must be one of the ugliest character designs I can remember. Especially with the novel covers being so striking.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Masamune: I liked this show better when it was called High School RomCom SNAFU (they even included the androgynous boy fawning over the main character) because at least Hachiman was passive aggressive to everybody and not directly pandering to the Red Pill crowd.

Fuuka: Watched one episode, don't see what's unique about this yet. It's okay.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The faces in Tanya are loving hilarious. Fun stuff.

e: Holy poo poo the Bikini Cavalry showing up at the end of Schoolgirl Strikers lmfao

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 7, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

first ep of tanya is about halfway through the first volume so yeah they're probably going to jump back

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
By the way, I see this often in anime.

"Hey! I'm an [x] too!" Whenever a character feels like they are being excluded from something important but otherwise are probably entitled to the piece of the action.

In Tanya it was "Hey I'm an Imperial Army solider too!" But, does anyone ever talk like that?

I can see, "Hey I'm in this fight too!" But the full title as explanation seems weird to me.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I don't know what version of Youjo Senki some of you must have watched, because the version I saw had some of the greatest faces I've ever seen.

Aoi Yuuki is doing a good job with Tanya's voice, too. She sounds like a cruel toddler, which is perfect for the character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They have this somewhat off putting style where they add an upper lip which is a little uncanny valley territory but otherwise I think its fine.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raenir Salazar posted:

By the way, I see this often in anime.

"Hey! I'm an [x] too!" Whenever a character feels like they are being excluded from something important but otherwise are probably entitled to the piece of the action.

In Tanya it was "Hey I'm an Imperial Army solider too!" But, does anyone ever talk like that?

I can see, "Hey I'm in this fight too!" But the full title as explanation seems weird to me.

A more literal translation would be "Even me is an Imperial Army soldier!". Besides being really awkward grammatically, with "Even I am" not really getting the point across adequately, the character is reasserting her identity, not her presence. "I'm in this fight too!" might be more natural in English, but it's not quite the same thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
NEW RAKUGO IS AMAZING

Checks all boxes:

✅ look has clearly developed, it's gorgeous
✅ new characters are great
✅ yotaro is an idiot
✅ gay subtext
✅ cute baby
✅ is definitely going to break my heart

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kytrarewn posted:

A more literal translation would be "Even me is an Imperial Army soldier!". Besides being really awkward grammatically, with "Even I am" not really getting the point across adequately, the character is reasserting her identity, not her presence. "I'm in this fight too!" might be more natural in English, but it's not quite the same thing.

That isn't quite my question; it's more the asserting identity thing that confuses me, the general concept; the situation was whether she had the physical energy to carry on without compromising the unit. Instead of saying something more straight forward and relevant "I can handle it!" why specifically mention that in that way what you are?

I can't think of any war films I've seen that given a similarish scene, has anyone respond similarly; but it happens quite often in war related anime.

Would a Tuskegee airman answer "Hey I'm a American too." If a superior officer was concerned whether to commit him to the next sortie? That movie I haven't seen yet so I don't know how that plays out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no, because languages are different and often express concepts and ideas in different ways

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

no, because languages are different and often express concepts and ideas in different ways

I mean yes, but usually the root concept being conveyed doesn't strike me as a non-sequitor.

I feel like her response would've made sense if the reason for leaving her behind was out of something that diminished her identity as a brave soldier of the Empire; like if they had insinuated that it was because she was a woman; then I feel like asserting her identity would make more sense.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like her response would've made sense if the reason for leaving her behind was out of something that diminished her identity as a brave soldier of the Empire

quote:

the situation was whether she had the physical energy to carry on without compromising the unit

its not an expression you'd use in english really but it makes sense as you describe it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I just can't get over the faces in Youjo Senki. They look like alien ducks, terrible knock-offs of the Hellsing-style crazy faces. :psyduck:

Who thought they were a good idea?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

anime dudes get to have weird faces all the time, why can't the women

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just can't get over the faces in Youjo Senki. They look like alien ducks, terrible knock-offs of the Hellsing-style crazy faces. :psyduck:

Who thought they were a good idea?
Someone hasn't seen Higurashi.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean yes, but usually the root concept being conveyed doesn't strike me as a non-sequitor.

I feel like her response would've made sense if the reason for leaving her behind was out of something that diminished her identity as a brave soldier of the Empire; like if they had insinuated that it was because she was a woman; then I feel like asserting her identity would make more sense.

Japanese uses that sentence construction all the time. The language puts a lot more emphasis on positions/roles/titles than you're probably used to in English (which is where you get stuff like calling people senpai instead of their name). Basically the idea in this specific instance is "I went through all the same training and have been working as an Imperial soldier just like everyone else, I've proven myself and am on equal footing here [so don't tell me I can't do it, but other soldiers can]" (though I'm taking it a little further than it probably really goes, for clarity's sake). You're basically trying to provide some evidence for your claim that "I can handle it" or whatever.

I don't really like falling back on this explanation, but you could look at it as representative of the stereotypical "western individualism vs. eastern collectivism" thing too if you wanted. For instance, in English you might say something like "I can do it," focusing on you, while in Japanese you might say something conceptually more like "An imperial soldier can do it, and I'm an imperial soldier" (though it sounds less wordy/awkward in Japanese of course), focusing on your membership in the group.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Grouchio posted:

But, Higurashi DID have aliens. Or are you doubting Rena? She has a solution for that. A rather pointed one.

On a serious note, I think the issue is that it's only the two characters so far that have the really SD faces, and it rather bothered me too upon looking it over. Okay, multiple things are bothering me about the show in general, but in terms of the animation that is really jarring. Generally I feel it should either be all the characters or none, though exceptions exist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Higurashi went full bore with its alien designs - so did CLANNAD and all of those related works. For some reason it wasn't as jarring?

But instead here we get the weird kid voice with that jarring design and it's just...really, really creepy? Especially at the end where it flips between blond duck face to serious "normal" looking anime dude, and then to bug-eyed alien - and I mean, that final shot of her evil grin was fine, but the rest of it....

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Higurashi went full bore with its alien designs - so did CLANNAD and all of those related works. For some reason it wasn't as jarring?

But instead here we get the weird kid voice with that jarring design and it's just...really, really creepy? Especially at the end where it flips between blond duck face to serious "normal" looking anime dude, and then to bug-eyed alien - and I mean, that final shot of her evil grin was fine, but the rest of it....
Maybe you're sensitive?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Maybe you're sensitive?

Very likely! I'll put the show itself on the back burner for a while, see if I can't marathon Flip Flappers instead. Here's to hoping it turns out to be actually good, designs aside, so I can enjoy it later. :cheers:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Command Ant posted:

I don't know what version of Youjo Senki some of you must have watched, because the version I saw had some of the greatest faces I've ever seen.

Aoi Yuuki is doing a good job with Tanya's voice, too. She sounds like a cruel toddler, which is perfect for the character.

It looks good when the characters are doing something extreme like that, but kinda looks real janky when they're just talking.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
rakugo shinjuu is really loving good and i love absolutely everything shinichi omatadoes

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
With only one episode aired and a hole bunch of shows still to premiere, i doubt anything will come close to Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i think it matters with the source material he has to work with

he's really only helmed a handful of shows. sankarea is a flawed manga, and rozen maiden has a ton of baggage behind it. i think this is his real talent, he can straddle naturalism and stylism and draw out the strengths of the characters

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I thought Tanya the Evil looked ok enough, although I do really hate the secondary girl's character design. As for the episode as a whole, that was ok too. It's neat, but there's not enough in the first episode to say much of anything.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tanya the Evil seems pretty rad and like, combines so many things I like. It has the military nerd factor without it being some kind of fetishistic apologia for either Nazism or the Imperial Japanese Army. It's WWI, a WWI that went just as wrong for the Germans for the 'Empire' too*.

It's like a Harry Turtledove novel in Anime form, it's great in all the right ways.

I think I might break my thread cherry by episode three, so far it seems fairly accurate as a WWI story and as a resident of the ASK/TELL Military History thread I love that there's a lot of actual military history stuff to potentially nerd out on without the negative connotations.

historical inaccuracy #1: world war 1 ended in 1918

historical inaccuracy #2: there were NOT any mages, there have NEVER been mages, magic is not real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

historical inaccuracy #1: world war 1 ended in 1918

historical inaccuracy #2: there were NOT any mages, there have NEVER been mages, magic is not real

No no you're wrong because according to First Squad the Nazi's summoned a Demon Knight Templar to assassin a Glorious Hero of the Soviet Union.

• Locked thread