Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

david_a posted:

8 minutes in for anybody morbidly curious
i was promised card ripping. 0/5 would not watch again

Oh sorry "ripping" often means "open from sealed product" and not literally "tearing a card," my bad

e: I admit watching a man accidentally tear apart a card worth $30,000~ would be a hell of a YouTube video

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

welp I've been doing things very wrong with my CDs it turns out

_____!
May 2, 2004

Have you been collecting them to get a 1-Up? That only works if you have a punk hairstyle.

_____! fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 6, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

_____! posted:

Have you been collecting them to get a 1-Up? That only works if you have a punk hairstyle.

I've been building a gun that launches them so I can save Aerosmith when they're inevitably captured by the Trump administration.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

oh God I just realized the Wii literally came out over a decade ago. I feel like the Dreamcast was a decade ago :corsair:

Our capacitors are slowly leaking. This is the one constant in the universe.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You are quite lucky that you just posted this, because this finally went up literally this week!

https://riiconnect24.net/

It brings back the news, weather (!!), and even the mail system apps to the Wii. It works perfectly!

holy poo poo!!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Got my controller yesterday and played a bunch of Densha de Go 3. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of stopping on target, but I almost always end up way under or over with time. Except for short platforms. I still do badly on short platforms.

Game is hard, but still very fun.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

The only drawback with having the Everdrive is deciding on what games to pick beyond the familar ones. Is there a decent system to try random games. Just seeing them on the list doesn't get me to just boot it up, especially if the page is nothing but ancient sports games. Shame the GBA Everdrive feature of picking a random game isn't on the other versions yet.

Use dice rolls to generate a random number, preferably within a range equal to how many roms you have in total or in a folder. Then scroll down that many times in the folder. There's various dice rollers available online or on your phone.

Quiet Feet posted:

I think what really screws with my perception of console generations is how long the PS2 lasted. I never got anything from the following gen, and they were still producing games for the ps2 for a long long time. I want to say the last game made for it came out in 2013?

These are the last PS2 releases in each region:
Japan on March 27, 2013: Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin
North America on September 24, 2013: FIFA 14
Europe/PAL on November 8. 2013: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014

Incidentally, the last DS/DSi releases were:
Retail cartridge: Big Hero 6: Battle in the Bay on January 23, 2015
DSiWare download: Around The World In 80 Days on February 26, 2015

And the last Wii release was Rodea the Sky Soldier on September 22, 2015 (which means the last PS2 game was less than 2 years before the last Wii game, despite the Wii being almost a whole 6 years newer!)

The PSP is very interesting for this. The last UMD release was World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 on November 14, 2013. But the last all new game for the system was StreetKix: Freestyle on January 7, 2014 (digital only). And the last new program, but which was just a localization, was Brandish: The Dark Revenant which was localized to English and released on January 13, 2015 but was again digital only.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

fishmech posted:

The PSP is very interesting for this. The last UMD release was World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 on November 14, 2013. But the last all new game for the system was StreetKix: Freestyle on January 7, 2014 (digital only). And the last new program, but which was just a localization, was Brandish: The Dark Revenant which was localized to English and released on January 13, 2015 but was again digital only.

You're forgetting Summon Night 5 on PSP, which got an english release date on December 2015 and had physical copies shipped out to people at the beginning of last year.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Check out this Vintage 1971 Game Cube

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
Now seems to be a good time to bring up all these Dreamcast games coming back online.

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/blogs/tag/private%20server/

If there's one DC game I want to play online again, it's Chu Chu Rocket. That game was modem only, so for those that don't have a FreeiNet account anymore or even a land line, it looks like there's a Raspberry Pi setup to connect to the dialup modem.

Check it out: https://youtu.be/aEKCzNSuNEc

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

UnhandledException posted:

If there's one DC game I want to play online again, it's Chu Chu Rocket. That game was modem only, so for those that don't have a FreeiNet account anymore or even a land line, it looks like there's a Raspberry Pi setup to connect to the dialup modem.]

DreamPi is awesome, just make sure you check your modem type and see if you need to add voltage. Well that and sadly Propeller Arena is not supported.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Got my controller yesterday and played a bunch of Densha de Go 3. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of stopping on target, but I almost always end up way under or over with time. Except for short platforms. I still do badly on short platforms.

Game is hard, but still very fun.

What I tend to do is ride the limit as hard as I can and then brake hard for stations and I generally wind up being early which lets me fine tune things as I stop. My general rule is to be going 60 at 200m out, 40 at 100m, and 20 at 30m (your mileage kilometerage may vary with the train, of course).

I've seen those before. Not that any kid has ever been thrilled with a bunch of traditional board games.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

oh my god yall

they should have sent a poet

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

yesssssssss

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
That's sexy.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

That's sexy.

not when you consider that as a medical unit it spent most of it's life displaying the inside of anuses

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

not when you consider that as a medical unit it spent most of it's life displaying the inside of anuses

Nah that's just kind of funny. But the Metal Slug is still sexy. It transcends colonoscopy cams.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Random Stranger posted:

What I tend to do is ride the limit as hard as I can and then brake hard for stations and I generally wind up being early which lets me fine tune things as I stop. My general rule is to be going 60 at 200m out, 40 at 100m, and 20 at 30m (your mileage kilometerage may vary with the train, of course).

Thanks for this. I'll be sure to try it out. I wish 3 didn't get rid of the oncoming track map it looks like Professional had. Does Pro 2 have that stuff again? Or does it not come back until Final? Though I don't think my controller can play Pro 2 to begin with.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

oh my god yall

Hot. Elite.

You realize it's mandatory to keep the fire and explosion hazard stickers on forever, of course?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

oh my god yall

Holy poo poo.

d0s posted:

lmao

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Someone awhile back mentioned a program that they used to generate a folder structure for their everdrive. What was that called?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

So it's all set to run Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer or Ragnagard.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It's a New Age Retro Christmas Part 3: It's a Euphemism for Testicles.

I first played Ballz 3d for the Super Nintendo many years ago and my recollection of it is vague. Video games seemed to be going through puberty around the same time I did. Video Games' voice was changing, it had terrible console wars, and extra buttons where there had been no buttons before. It also noticed the 3rd dimension. 16-bit Video Games and The Third Dimension went to the park, the ice cream social, the boat show, and various other wholesome activities. Then came the big day, 16-bit Video Games and 3D got married! Nine months later, video games gave birth to fourteen 3-dimensional video games! Eight surviveddidn't suck. 1994 was an interesting time with an audience aging into young adulthood, systems capable of more nuance in storytelling, characterization, art styels and graphical complexity, and the budding notion that hot, throbbing 3D was right around the corner. Ballz 3D, in all its juvenile glory, was a product of all of that. Like I said, I know I played it, but I only have the foggiest notion what it was like. I'd swear it wasn't awful.

Am I the only one who finds this vaguely erotic? Anyway, naked time!

Look carefully in the background and you'll see evidence that I've somehow successfully convinced :siren: a woman :siren: to produce offspring with me. I'm as baffled as you are. :shrug:

gently caress, I missed out on the Ballz 3D t-shirt offer! :argh:

Figures that the first I've heard of this peripheral is that it's being cancelled. Y'okay.

This has got to be the first and probably only 3D fighter on the SNES and Genesis and, well, it plays like it. Characters aren't polygons of course, but a collection of sprites made up of rendered balls in a 3D environment. If there's more than one stage it's hard to tell. The colors of the floor and background change a bit but I'm about 90% sure that they're just palette-swapped. Each stage has movie boards showing PG-13 scens and taunts when you or your opponent lands a move. Movement is a somewhat awkward and at times it can be tough to keep facing your opponent. On the genesis you get a punch button, a kick button and a jump button. I do not for the life of me recall if the control scheme was much different on the SNES. It's tough to gauge where exactly you need to be to hit your opponent, and hit detection seems a little off anyway. Special moves are pretty easy to pull off but they're not all useful and a lot of them have a long windup animation that leaves you vulnerable. Personally, I just mash buttons. I took Kronk and Turbo through their paces with several matches each and couldn't get very far. We just weren't ready for 3D fighting games at the time, and it shows. The music is alright I suppose but it's not going to stick with you, and the sound effects are quirky. There is also a sort of taunt/beg for mercy mechanic which lets you regain health. Honestly your moves do so little damage and matches take so long it seems pointless to include this as it just prolongs what are already pretty tedious fights. Computer opponents use this ALL ThE drat TIME when their life gets below 1/3rd or so.

If I can leave on a positive note, the animation is pretty smooth and this is a game that definitely was sold with its graphics in mind. It's an interesting side trip into non-polygonal 3D, and kind of interesting historically because I think it reflects what was at least perceived as the audience for games at the time (teenagers who liked fart jokes), but really nothing special today. And honestly who wants one if you can't get it with an AT&T Edge 16 and official Ballz 3D t-shirt?

Worth it: Nope. Definitely a product of its age, and of mine at the time. This would've been money better spent elsewhere. You can find this for $5 loose or probably $10 CIB. Got this one from a seller on Ebay who has at least 8 NIB copies at about $25/pop, but I'd skip it. If you really have to, get a loose copy or emulate it just to give it a look see.

Tomorrow: I was just going to get drunk and watch football but I realized I've got an appropriate game for that. I'll post it at halftime of Lions/Seahawks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quiet Feet posted:

Look carefully in the background and you'll see evidence that I've somehow successfully convinced :siren: a woman :siren: to produce offspring with me. I'm as baffled as you are. :shrug:

Especially as you only just acquired Ballz. It should be biologically impossible! :v:

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

d0s posted:

That wouldn't be TOO bad except that the splash guard is missing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Especially as you only just acquired Ballz. It should be biologically impossible! :v:

Oh god dammit that is way too appropriate a joke for that post and now I'm mad I didn't think about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

gently caress, I missed out on the Ballz 3D t-shirt offer! :argh:

Terrible games offering to sell you t-shirts will always be both funny and disappointing. I was playing a terrible shooter a few weeks ago called ZPC (the reason I didn't write it up was because I broke the engine pretty early on and couldn't make much progress; I'm not entirely sure if the engine breaking was due to the game being awful or its behavior on modern PC's) and the readme file told me I could be t-shirts on their web site. I'm sure they moved a lot of those.

I kind of wish I had more terrible game t-shirts. As a nerd I have too many video game t-shirts and it would be nice to filter out the normal ones for some more interesting ones.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/hackers-unlock-nes-classic-upload-new-games-via-usb-cable/

This is kind of neat.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Random Stranger posted:

I was playing a terrible shooter a few weeks ago called ZPC
ZPC, lol! I've tried playing the ZPC demo based purely on the BRUTE! artwork but I remember it being fairly nonsensical. The artwork actually made it incredibly hard to figure out where to go since it had the common early 90s giant empty rooms architecture with these eye-searing monochrome textures plastered haphazardly so I couldn't see the doors/corridors. Plus it runs on the insanely janky Marathon engine :whitewater:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I love Ballz

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Figures that the first I've heard of this peripheral is that it's being cancelled. Y'okay.

So the story goes, the peripheral was finished and ready to go in September 1994 (about a month before Ballz dangled onto shelves) when AT&T got cold feet and decided not to enter the games industry, dooming the peripheral.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

It's a New Age Retro Christmas Part 3: It's a Euphemism for Testicles.

Ballz 3D is one of those 16-bit era games that, due to a combination of marketing, presence in "game secrets" books, and general availability, seemed to have been a much bigger deal at the time than it actually was. My mental image of the SNES case at Target around 1995 has Ballz 3D alongside the likes of Brutal: Paws of Fury, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, and Zoop.

I want to say I'm glad I never bought it, but my standards for fighting games at that age were so low that I wonder if I might have enjoyed it anyway. I played the hell out of Tuff E Nuff and the Genesis Power Rangers game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

That wouldn't be TOO bad except that the splash guard is missing.

I actually removed it cause it was annoying to lift when messing with the controls

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Random Stranger posted:

Terrible games offering to sell you t-shirts will always be both funny and disappointing. I was playing a terrible shooter a few weeks ago called ZPC (the reason I didn't write it up was because I broke the engine pretty early on and couldn't make much progress; I'm not entirely sure if the engine breaking was due to the game being awful or its behavior on modern PC's) and the readme file told me I could be t-shirts on their web site. I'm sure they moved a lot of those.

I kind of wish I had more terrible game t-shirts. As a nerd I have too many video game t-shirts and it would be nice to filter out the normal ones for some more interesting ones.

david_a posted:

ZPC, lol! I've tried playing the ZPC demo based purely on the BRUTE! artwork but I remember it being fairly nonsensical. The artwork actually made it incredibly hard to figure out where to go since it had the common early 90s giant empty rooms architecture with these eye-searing monochrome textures plastered haphazardly so I couldn't see the doors/corridors. Plus it runs on the insanely janky Marathon engine :whitewater:

That game squandered the premise of you getting to play as loving psychic techno Jesus coming back to kick rear end and take names (not really, you were a "Warrior Messiah" and you looked like a stylized rendition of the traditional depiction of Jesus.) I played the demo way back when and I remember the levels being mazey as hell and having really anemic weapons. Also I remember a review stating that there was platforming later on but you couldn't actually jump. You had to "rocket jump" but it was facing the ground and chi punching it to propel yourself upwards.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Ballz 3D is one of those 16-bit era games that, due to a combination of marketing, presence in "game secrets" books, and general availability, seemed to have been a much bigger deal at the time than it actually was. My mental image of the SNES case at Target around 1995 has Ballz 3D alongside the likes of Brutal: Paws of Fury, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, and Zoop.

I want to say I'm glad I never bought it, but my standards for fighting games at that age were so low that I wonder if I might have enjoyed it anyway. I played the hell out of Tuff E Nuff and the Genesis Power Rangers game.

This would imply that Tuff E Nuff is not a very good game, which is wrong. :colbert:

Seriously though it's not the best balanced fighting game in the world but I love the soundtrack and have to give it a ton of credit on style. The whole design concept seems to be "hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." and they pulled it off well enough.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It played decently enough and had fun characters that weren't all patterned after Street Fighter characters, I'll give it that. I've never really had the patience to get MUGEN up and running, but I think Tuff E Nuff would provide good fodder for that. K's's undodgeable lightning projectiles would probably be far from the most bullshit overpowered thing in that environment.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I got to see something up close today that I never even knew existed-- an actual Sculptor's Cut box.

They used it on the shelf at Blockbuster stores. Also to my surprise, this one is in very good shape.

Also, today I got handle a Hyperkin Smartboy Dev Kit. It's an interesting device, definitely not without some hardware quirkiness befitting of what is essentially a beta build. As it is, I think it's too bulky and pricey to replace an SP, but we'll see what they come up with.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Going back to arcade cabinets, I would kill own DDR Extreme if I had the space and that money to do it.

In also interested in picking up some of the SNES games I missed out on in my childhood. Namely Super Metroid and Super Mario RPG, but I'm concerned about battery life. None of my own games from the era have lost their saves, but should I be worried about this now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Finally managed to get the SCART-to-component encoder with all the pots (not the other one without them that was too green for me, though the seller's asked if I wanna return it; not sure if I should or not) to a point where I'm fairly happy with the colors, but Jesus the heads on these pots were terrible. PH1 eventually stripped, had to go to PH2 until that stripped, then noticed they responded to 1S, until one required 2S, and now that one is so completely destroyed that I can't twist it at all. Took me several hours and my fingers and thumbs are still stinging from all that. I want to ask "would it have killed them to use any other method of adjusting these pots", but it's the SPECIALTY-AV/Chinese knock-off encoder, of course it would have.

On the bright side, I finally got around to trying Diddy Kong Racing, and it's pretty nice. Could only manage 3rd place in the first trophy thing, though, but I started around midnight and stopped around 2AM, so I guess it's good.

• Locked thread